PDA

View Full Version : I just bought a region free DVD player

Sam Wilson
09-03-2005, 12:01 PM
And a real nice one too, so now I can replace my regualr DVD player, and have something that plays dvd's from other countries. For my first purchases I got Danny The Dog (region 3 special edition, known as Unleashed here in the states), Ghost in the Shell Innocence Region 2 spec. edtion (not yet released), Kung Fu Hustle region 3 special edition and the the sweetest thing ever, this, which my fellow anime nerds can appreciate:

http://www.dvdasian.com/cgi-bin/dvdasian/19637.html

JDH
09-03-2005, 12:10 PM
You can't beat a region-free DVD player. That's the first thing I look for in a player! The second being the 'on' switch, but that's more a practical thing.

Sam Wilson
09-03-2005, 12:14 PM
You can't beat a region-free DVD player. That's the first thing I look for in a player! The second being the 'on' switch, but that's more a practical thing.

yeah J, no doubt. You're gonna have to give me some good british movie recommendations. I wanna see that holligan movie w/frodo in it, have you seen it yet?

JDH
09-03-2005, 12:16 PM
yeah J, no doubt. You're gonna have to give me some good british movie recommendations. I wanna see that holligan movie w/frodo in it, have you seen it yet?

Not yet, but being a big football fan I'd like to. I don't know how much use I'll be to you - we don't get to the cinema as much as we'd like, sadly. Plus our taste tends more to the American side of things than British films (or TV for that matter). Shaun of the Dead excepted, of course. :)

JDH
09-03-2005, 12:18 PM
How come you went region 3 for Kung-Fu Hustle, by the way? We really wanted to see that, but our cinema didn't show it at weekends!

Sam Wilson
09-03-2005, 12:24 PM
How come you went region 3 for Kung-Fu Hustle, by the way? We really wanted to see that, but our cinema didn't show it at weekends!

the HK release is uncut, more blood and stuff. The US dvd has been butchered by the folks at Disney (cough, SATAN, couch) who buy the US rights to a lot of HK movies, fu$# them up royally, then rerelease them here in the states. That's the main reason I bought a region free DVD player.

Danny the Dog (aka unleashed) is also uncut in the European release (and the HK release), and relased a lot earlier than in the US (US dvd isn't out until Oct).

Gots to get my Kung Fu yo... :)

Oh yeah, and I caught Shawn of the Dead the other day on cable, damn, that was pretty funny. :)

JDH
09-03-2005, 12:26 PM
How do the languages play out on that Region 3 release?

leks
09-03-2005, 12:28 PM
Good for you Sam, makes life a whole lot easier if you ask me :buttrock:

badlieut
09-03-2005, 12:50 PM
Here are some recommendations: Equilibrium from Korea--awesome DTS track, Hulk from Brazil--DTS and a better cover w/ green case, Boondock Saints from Japan--uncut, slightly bloodier, Army of Darkness--Region 3, uncut, has the topless shot, Terminator 3 Region 3 DTS track, Last of the Mohicans from Brazil--only way to get theatrical cut, Spaced from UK--funny ass TV show.

Scottsdale Saint
09-03-2005, 12:59 PM
just picked up a all regions player myself-well technically it was a R1 player, the philips 642 player from best buy for 53.99 but it's notoriously easy to hack to make it an all region player. it's only a five button remote hack, and voila, you can play dvd's from anywhere.

my recommendations would be:
Iron Monkey-better than Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Infernal Affairs
Oldboy-awesome revenge flick.
Shaolin Soccer-another one that the R1 is cut.
Ong-bak-has an amazing amount of extras, the soundtrack is unchanged and of course, it's uncut.

Sam Wilson
09-03-2005, 01:08 PM
Here are some recommendations: Equilibrium from Korea--awesome DTS track, Hulk from Brazil--DTS and a better cover w/ green case, Boondock Saints from Japan--uncut, slightly bloodier, Army of Darkness--Region 3, uncut, has the topless shot, Terminator 3 Region 3 DTS track, Last of the Mohicans from Brazil--only way to get theatrical cut, Spaced from UK--funny ass TV show.

oh yeah, good one bro, I gotta get that equilibrium dvd...

Ghost
09-03-2005, 01:53 PM
I agree, check out the Infernal Affairs trilogy, or at least the first 2. Great stuff there.

lord odin
09-03-2005, 01:56 PM
I got an apex a few years ago still works like a charm.

Sam Wilson
09-03-2005, 01:59 PM
I agree, check out the Infernal Affairs trilogy, or at least the first 2. Great stuff there.

I've seen the first Infernal Affairs on region 0 DVD. Pretty good.

Ghost, did you check out that Cowbop bebop set I bought? Click the link in the first post...

Ghost
09-03-2005, 02:04 PM
I've seen the first Infernal Affairs on region 0 DVD. Pretty good.

Ghost, did you check out that Cowbop bebop set I bought? Click the link in the first post...

Yeah that's one badass set! I actually picked up a couple of region free sets from this local anime shop here, it's all the dvds and the casing but nothing like yours, it's still official and was only $50. After I spent $110 on the Neon Genesis Set, I found these and picked up the Trigun set for $50 as well then Cowboy Bebop. Plus the Bebop movie. They're still great looking sets and 1/3rd the price which I can afford. You should pick up the Kill Bill Box sets if you still can. I got both, definitely worth it especially for the vol 1. But vol 2. has some nice goodies as well.

Sam Wilson
09-03-2005, 02:11 PM
Yeah that's one badass set! I actually picked up a couple of region free sets from this local anime shop here, it's all the dvds and the casing but nothing like yours, it's still official and was only $50. After I spent $110 on the Neon Genesis Set, I found these and picked up the Trigun set for $50 as well then Cowboy Bebop. Plus the Bebop movie. They're still great looking sets and 1/3rd the price which I can afford. You should pick up the Kill Bill Box sets if you still can. I got both, definitely worth it especially for the vol 1. But vol 2. has some nice goodies as well.

yeah, I thought about those kill bill sets, but there is still the rumor of a US special release/directors cut of Kill Bill, so I guess I'm holding off for those.

Same with GITS 2nd gig, the US special editions are going to be released in fancy tin cases and I like those better than any of the asian releases so far. Meh, I know they're way more expensive, but fu$# it. :)

Ghost
09-03-2005, 02:18 PM
yeah, I thought about those kill bill sets, but there is still the rumor of a US special release/directors cut of Kill Bill, so I guess I'm holding off for those.

Same with GITS 2nd gig, the US special editions are going to be released in fancy tin cases and I like those better than any of the asian releases so far. Meh, I know they're way more expensive, but fu$# it. :)

Oh I know they're releasing a special double director's cut set of Kill Bill 1&2, I've seen it lol and I still got these cause the extras were just too sweet to pass up. You get a book with some inside info and concepts, some cards, a Kubrick bear in the yellow Bride's outfit, a tshirt and a mini Hanzo sword with display. Also it has the House of Blue Leaves fight scene uncensored, with extra cuts in it for the japanese version. Vol 2, has a shirt as well, a Pai Mei keychain, a kubrick bear in white and in a coffin, and one more thing I believe.
Hell I even bought both separate US released dvds, plus i have my own bootleg copy. I just couldn't get enough of the Killing of the Bill :D

Bullseye
09-03-2005, 03:02 PM
DTS is also essential for any decent DVD player. I buy most of my DVD's from Amazon or Amazon.co.uk so regions aren't that important to me. However, the player i have is region free. Pioneer are excellent players.

Sam Wilson
09-03-2005, 03:07 PM
DTS is also essential for any decent DVD player. I buy most of my DVD's from Amazon or Amazon.co.uk so regions aren't that important to me. However, the player i have is region free. Pioneer are excellent players.

word bro, the player I got is a denon (my reciever is a denon as well). DTS of course yo. :)

Bullseye
09-03-2005, 03:11 PM
Denon make some very nice gear. I have a Yamaha reciever. Great sound.

Sam Wilson
09-03-2005, 03:31 PM

bulls, you got a subwoofer? My wife makes me keep mine cranked loooow. :(

Bullseye
09-03-2005, 03:37 PM
I have one but its not connected up. Its a Pioneer but i want to get a B&W one to match the speakers. But it will cost me a grand.:(

Sam Wilson
09-03-2005, 04:34 PM
I have one but its not connected up. Its a Pioneer but i want to get a B&W one to match the speakers. But it will cost me a grand.:(

yeah brother, they can be expensive. UGH.

grendelscott
09-03-2005, 04:40 PM

Agreed. Yamaha rocks! The receiver I have is one of the few I could find (for mortal prices) that allowed me to run my DVD, Cable Box, X-Box, PS2, and Gamecube through it without a switchbox.

Juggernaut
09-04-2005, 02:22 PM
And a real nice one too, so now I can replace my regualr DVD player, and have something that plays dvd's from other countries. For my first purchases I got Danny The Dog (region 3 special edition, known as Unleashed here in the states), Ghost in the Shell Innocence Region 2 spec. edtion (not yet released), Kung Fu Hustle region 3 special edition and the the sweetest thing ever, this, which my fellow anime nerds can appreciate:

http://www.dvdasian.com/cgi-bin/dvdasian/19637.html

That is some great DVD buyes.

Where did you purchase the GITS Innocence reg. 2 special edition?

Can you PM me? Thanks.

Apocalypse06
09-06-2005, 02:26 PM
i have a sweet sony region free player but most of the dvds i buy i get on amazon
boxsets mainly simpsons ect

Collection King 13
09-06-2005, 02:34 PM
Region Free... I have to get me one of those!

Apocalypse06
09-06-2005, 02:48 PM
thry play anything from u.k europe ect there awesome to have

Primal
09-06-2005, 03:15 PM
Damn...that Bebop set looks killer.

leks
09-06-2005, 03:28 PM
Should play divx aswell cant remember the last time I actually bought a dvd.

Might have been barbarella.... not for me ofcuz for my dad :o

Sam Wilson
09-06-2005, 04:31 PM
Damn...that Bebop set looks killer.

I know G, just got the shipping notification. Should be mine soon... :)