PDA

View Full Version : Oldboy

J Storm
09-04-2005, 02:37 PM
I figured I share this really great movie with everyone. It's a Korean film called "Oldboy" and it's a psychological, suspence film that was released about 2 weeks ago on DVD & PSP.

The film is about a man, Oh Dae-su, a man who was arrested for being drunk and ride to people. His friend bails him out & Dae-su calls his family and lets them know he's on his way home. His friend talk to family on the phone and when he turns around Dae-su is gone. Dae-su is kidnapped and locked away in a nice solitary room for 15 years. During that time, he sees on TV that his wife was murdered a year after his capture & the person or persons who did this, set him up. After 15 years, he is released and given a suit, money and a cell phone. Dae-su, along with the help of a young woman he meets at a restaurant, tries to piece together the mystery of who did this to him and more importantly why.

This movie has the twists and turns of the Usual Suspects with the psychological feel and surprise revelation of Seven. This onyl has subtitles in it and I wont give away the ending, but this is a must see film.

I can see a American version of the film being made, but it will probably lose the focus of what the film is trying to say, like the Ring & the Grudge.

SEE THIS FILM :buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

Sam Wilson
09-04-2005, 02:38 PM
if they let hollywood remake it, no way they show the one cat getting his tooth ripped out or those other cats get beat with the hammer.

J Storm
09-04-2005, 02:41 PM
They probably use guns, which would stink

Sam Wilson
09-04-2005, 02:43 PM
They probably use guns, which would stink

yeah dude, that hammer fight was DOPE.

J Storm
09-04-2005, 02:51 PM
yeah dude, that hammer fight was DOPE.

Exactly, you can't do that scene with guns. The main character was tormented for 15 years and killing people with a gun is too easy. A least with the hammer it was symbolic b/c he wanted to exact revenge. Even when they were beating him down, he wouldnt stay down and continued to beat them. He was proving the point that no matter what was done to him, he was going to get his revenge.

The pulling of the teeth was a another form of torture that he felt he needed to inflict, 1 tooth for every year he was in there. That hurts and that something Hollywood wont get.

Tony Coca
09-04-2005, 02:58 PM
Wow.That sounds like one hell of a movie.Im going to have to go to Entertainment Outlet and get it.

candyrocket786
09-04-2005, 03:44 PM
It is one hell of a movie..... :buttrock:

Bought my version from Korea early last year. Been waiting for my non-region free friends to get their hands on the R1 release.

Ghost
09-04-2005, 03:47 PM
Yeah definitely a great flick picked it up last year as well.

spenca7
09-22-2009, 02:22 PM
Just watched this after finding the DVD in my basement sitting there for 2 years...excellent movie! It is in no way groundbreaking but the original plot, great acting make this a top favorite for me. The fight scenes were also original. I watched subtitle and dubbed and dubbed Oh Dae-Su was so excellent!

PIP
09-22-2009, 03:11 PM
if you liked it you need to watch the rest of the trilogy, sympathy for mr vengance and sympathy for lady vengance, oldboy is No 2 in the trilogy

spenca7
09-22-2009, 04:02 PM
I heard there were others and with a recommendation I will pick these up

J Storm
09-22-2009, 04:23 PM
if you liked it you need to watch the rest of the trilogy, sympathy for mr vengance and sympathy for lady vengance, oldboy is No 2 in the trilogy

I got to see the other 2 then.

AsOneDead
09-22-2009, 04:34 PM
The other two are a let down imo. No where near as good as Oldboy.

ironrope
09-22-2009, 09:13 PM

These films share the vengeance theme but are otherwise unrelated and very different from Oldboy.

charlie
09-22-2009, 09:22 PM
Looks like Spielberg is remaking Old boy and it is starring Will Smith.

http://popseoul.com/2008/11/08/america-is-desperate-old-boy-will-be-remade-by-steven-spielberg-and-will-smith/

spenca7
09-22-2009, 10:15 PM
Looks like Spielberg is remaking Old boy and it is starring Will Smith.

http://popseoul.com/2008/11/08/america-is-desperate-old-boy-will-be-remade-by-steven-spielberg-and-will-smith/

I think Spielberg's version is dead. I remember hearing some dispute over movie rights reverting or something.

joy_division
09-23-2009, 11:53 PM
Love the film. Little known fact: it is based on a manga that you can get from Dark Horse

I also thing Lady Vengance is a great film - Better than Oldboy - dunno, haven't watched it for a while.

If you like Chan-wook Park, then check out I'm a cybork, but that's OK

interesting story:

I recently attended a BBFC(British board of Film Classification)masterclass at my local arts venue where one of the people from BBFC talked through how they work.

One of the rules that they they have to take into account is the animal welfare act. So when this film came up and they saw the live octopus eating scene, they questioned the director and he initially said that it was CGIed, but later during an interview for TV elsewhere, he told the interviewee that it was real.

However the BBFC could not do anything and the scene remains in the film because an octupus has no backbone and the animal rights act only applies to animals that are vertebrates. So thanks to that loop hole, the scene stays in.

metroid
07-25-2013, 11:57 AM
Trailer of Spike Lee's Oldboy remake

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrLcnrnEqyI

joy_division
07-26-2013, 12:22 AM
am the only one who thinks the poster looks like it is from Jackass?

metroid
09-18-2013, 04:45 AM
Viral trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETrcHfOs0PY&feature=player_embedded

metroid
11-28-2013, 03:27 PM
Spike's remake seems to be a failure.