PDA

View Full Version : So I just received an email from simply toys...

Pages : [1] 2 3

jetfuel
06-29-2015, 04:29 AM
... That stated this about my Thanos pre-order.
Dear customer,

you are receiving this email because your order(s) with Simply Toys for Marvel XM studios item(s) is(are) affected. It has come to our attention we are only allowed to sell XM Marvel items to customers with addresses from the following countries:

- Austria
- France
- Germany
- Indonesia
- Italy
- Liechtenstein
- Malaysia
- Portugal
- The Philippines
- Singapore
- Spain
- Switzerland
- Thailand
- China (pending approval)
- Hong Kong (pending approval)

For customers whose shipping address do not below to any of the above mentioned countries, these are the options:
1. We can cancel your order and refund you the deposit
2. You can find a Singapore address and have the person self collect the item from us. We can still bill you for the item but 7% GST will be charged for all local purchases.
3. Have us ship the XM items to an address from the approved list of countries.

Ain't that just a kick in the sack.

Apetina
06-29-2015, 04:45 AM
So it's actually happening! What a bummer. Star Wars license will have the same fate though

jye318
06-29-2015, 04:49 AM
very very bad news for me......

The Mule
06-29-2015, 04:55 AM
S--t hit the fan.

ZenLogikos
06-29-2015, 05:11 AM
More than half of the Magneto owners who posted were from North or South America. Not sure how indicative that is of actual XM ownership, but if it's close, things are going to get very interesting...

So the only method those of us not in approved regions now have to acquire XM, is NOT through XM, NOT through licensed retailers, but ONLY through private citizens performing a service for us.... and/or ebay?

Marcel54
06-29-2015, 05:19 AM
I got THE MAIL as well. The "funny" thing is that the European distributor is only allowed to sell in certain countries as well. This is from their website: "Currently we have only specific countries like Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Italy, France, Spain and Portugal as you can see on our website/ shop.". So in all we are depended on a few well intending fellow collectors and at the mercy of the "flippers".

Peedi
06-29-2015, 05:27 AM
Dear God, I just got the same email, too...one more thing to deal with amongst all the other crap that's hitting me. Not sure what I'm going to do...

So Simply Toys is no longer an option for us in the U.S. Bummer. There goes my Daredevil dreams. For those that don't have a personal/private distributor locked in, it's extra harder to now get an XM statue. Damn near impossible for anybody newer to XM.

There's the list of other sellers. I wonder if they're going through the same thing with US orders?

Chug
06-29-2015, 05:30 AM
And suddenly, having an adress in France became much more interesting...

EnShinNoi
06-29-2015, 05:31 AM
They're not going to absorb the PayPal fees for their **** up. If I had an order, I'd be sure complaining to well beyond just the website.

dino76m
06-29-2015, 05:37 AM
so the initial people who found contacts thorough middle men are safe,, now this is really screwed up,I guess the people who have a middle man are really happy now.. I had 3 orders with XM ,2 i really wanted but guess getting any XM product is over now,
well more money saved.at least

andry
06-29-2015, 05:41 AM
Simplytoys, just don't tell and sell to customers that are not on the list. :thumbs2:

Agähnim
06-29-2015, 05:47 AM
so the initial people who found contacts thorough middle men are safe,, now this is really screwed up,I guess the people who have a middle man are really happy now.. I had 3 orders with XM ,2 i really wanted but guess getting any XM product is over now,
well more money saved.at least

Not quite. I got my Magneto back in April and haven't heard from my middleman since. Either I'll have to get lucky and find some other reputable guy or I'm pretty much out of luck because I'm not paying any crazy amount of second hand prices for these things. That's too bad too because XM is what got me back into collecting after several years.

Peedi
06-29-2015, 05:50 AM
Not quite. I got my Magneto back in April and haven't heard from my middleman since. Either I'll have to get lucky and find some other reputable guy or I'm pretty much out of luck because I'm not paying any crazy amount of second hand prices for these things. That's too bad too because XM is what got me back into collecting after several years.

Sucks for all, but at least you did manage to get Magneto, that's definitely a win. And you have a cool Legend of Zelda name, so extra win.

XM hopes and dreams are fading wide scale...

dino76m
06-29-2015, 05:56 AM
dont know, I guess people will find a way, i guess most must have already locked up friends in Singapore to get to order from them
Im saving myself the trouble, if i cant get it ,so be it,but I dont want to lose my she hulk and Ms marvel order :"(

The Mule
06-29-2015, 06:03 AM
XM hopes and dreams are fading wide scale...

I don't think so. Most people have to understand that the world is not America-centric nor Marvel-centric.

FROBAY
06-29-2015, 06:03 AM
Total BS. They should have made this effective on future orders not past orders. Holding PayPal fees because they screwed up.

z928328
06-29-2015, 06:08 AM
http://www.shopandship.com/en/home Maybe try to use shopand ship service- they have many address from other countries?

Peedi
06-29-2015, 06:23 AM
I don't think so. Most people have to understand that the world is not America-centric nor Marvel-centric.

I see what you're saying, but my comment wasn't about the world nor America's place in it.

Bobfrog
06-29-2015, 06:24 AM
Looks like a certain other industry player got their way then. Very sad that they find more time and effort to try scupper other producers (not just XM) efforts rather than putting it into their own product / QC thereof. If they did the latter then perhaps people wouldn't have looked to XM as much as they did in the first place.

I know people will say it's business and all that but it's a bit sad that it went this way. They must either be pooping themselves or have already felt it hard on their bottom line.

People will find a way to work around this so all SS will have succeeded in is one / all of the following:

a) divert some custom back to themselves (their aim)
b) pissed people off and turned them off SS partly or altogether
c) create a new industry for those based in Singapore to act as middle men.

Nice one.

Best of luck to all who got this message.

loricstone
06-29-2015, 06:27 AM
:laugh:

People will always find a way to get around restrictions. If this is legit....I'd buy stock in this company.....lol.

The Mule
06-29-2015, 06:31 AM
I see what you're saying, but my comment wasn't about the world nor America's place in it.

XM will be just fine, for a good number of reasons.
US Marvel collectors, on the other hand, are the ones getting the stick.
I'm still curious about how legit retailers like SimplyToys are being forced to observe the same restriction XM has. This is new.

Sv7nd
06-29-2015, 06:33 AM
Does this mean that guys like Mark and Kenny can no longer get bulk purchases direct from XM and then on sell to non licensed overseas countries?

As they are in essence an overseas non-official distributor that XM supports and helps facilitate. At least this is how I understand their relationship though comments and posts made on the forum...

Peedi
06-29-2015, 06:42 AM
I'm still curious about how legit retailers like SimplyToys are being forced to observe the same restriction XM has. This is new.

I appreciate and respect the guys at XM, but that's not fully my concern. They'll sell out regardless of US and other countries not being able to order from ST...the product was never for us anyway, so it's not like our sales were considered in the budget sheet forecasts.

I guess to make more sense, my concern is how I'm going to get what I want. Just didn't want to sound selfish so I refrained from explaining further...but then I realize, we're all here based on what we want anyway.

Of course like others mentioned, there's always a way around things. I'm sure it won't be hard to get contacts in other countries who can receive our SimplyToys orders, but the question is having somebody reliable...and going further for future orders, having reliable contacts who can secure orders for us.

But the question there is how much money one is willing to spend to have the order shipped to a contact, and then shipped to another country.

And yeah, how SimplyToy's hand was forced like that, good question.

loricstone
06-29-2015, 06:44 AM
Looks like a certain other industry player got their way then. Very sad that they find more time and effort to try scupper other producers (not just XM) efforts rather than putting it into their own product / QC thereof. If they did the latter then perhaps people wouldn't have looked to XM as much as they did in the first place.

I know people will say it's business and all that but it's a bit sad that it went this way. They must either be pooping themselves or have already felt it hard on their bottom line.

People will find a way to work around this so all SS will have succeeded in is one / all of the following:

a) divert some custom back to themselves (their aim)
b) pissed people off and turned them off SS partly or altogether
c) create a new industry for those based in Singapore to act as middle men.

Nice one.

Best of luck to all who got this message.

I wasn't going to say anything before but since you posted this I'm like why not since its relevant.

I have seen a few shops in LA and Singapore start to carry less of the other industry player's (we all know who that is) product. I don't know if anyone else has not noticed, but, Cornerstore Comics has decreased the amount of product they carry as well as a couple others.

Now I am hearing (loosely but I don't doubt it) that a few shops overseas that used to carry the other industry player's products are starting to not carry their stuff any more and / or have severely decreased the amount of product they ordered.

I always go back to the comment by Jeff Goldblum in Jurassic Park....."life finds a way." Funny how some try to implement all these failsafes and try to prevent other people/companies etc. from achieving or doing something....but in the end it always comes back and winds up biting them in the ass and they screw themselves.

Is there any wonder why I have severely cut back the amount of SS product I PO. My last PO was in fact Pinhead PF....and nothing SS or any company for that matter tries to prevent me from acquiring will make me run back to them. It will in fact have the reverse effect.

Like you said Bobf.....focus on one's own product and excellence before trying to focus on others.

loricstone
06-29-2015, 06:45 AM
Does this mean that guys like Mark and Kenny can no longer get bulk purchases direct from XM and then on sell to non licensed overseas countries?

As they are in essence an overseas non-official distributor that XM supports and helps facilitate. At least this is how I understand their relationship though comments and posts made on the forum...

Those comments are false. Those guys do not work for or with XM. They are not retailers.

Peedi
06-29-2015, 06:48 AM
Much respect to those guys, too. If they got a lot of email requests for XM before...

Bullseye
06-29-2015, 06:49 AM
You can blame Marvel for this. Don't see how this is anything do to with SS. They have forked out for an international license and are entitled to protect their interest. It is up to XM to get bigger so they can afford similar license. This is no different from US TV stations protecting their broadcasting rights for say the Super Bowl.

Sv7nd
06-29-2015, 06:50 AM
Those comments are false. Those guys do not work for or with XM. They are not retailers.

I understand they're not retailers, but I have seen comments by XM Studios in the past stating how they want to help overseas members etc. and having mentioned these names is all. These people are also getting more than the limit of 2 per customer that XM states they enforce to avoid scalping etc.

loricstone
06-29-2015, 06:55 AM
You can blame Marvel for this. Don't see how this is anything do to with SS. They have forked out for an international license and are entitled to protect their interest. It is up to XM to get bigger so they can afford similar license. This is no different from US TV stations protecting their broadcasting rights for say the Super Bowl.

Yeah I blame Marvel for a lot of stuff. :laugh:

I wonder if this industry is going to go the way of the video game industry. I remember before way back in the early 8 bit days....Nintendo had a monopoly on companies that could only make games on their system and not the competition. Went to the courts and well....we see what came out of that.

Curious more than anything if this is a similar situation or not.:confused:

The Mule
06-29-2015, 06:56 AM
I appreciate and respect the guys at XM, but that's not fully my concern. They'll sell out regardless of US and other countries not being able to order from ST...the product was never for us anyway, so it's not like our sales were considered in the budget sheet forecasts.

I guess to make more sense, my concern is how I'm going to get what I want. Just didn't want to sound selfish so I refrained from explaining further...but then I realize, we're all here based on what we want anyway.

Of course like others mentioned, there's always a way around things. I'm sure it won't be hard to get contacts in other countries who can receive our SimplyToys orders, but the question is having somebody reliable...and going further for future orders, having reliable contacts who can secure orders for us.

But the question there is how much money one is willing to spend to have the order shipped to a contact, and then shipped to another country.

And yeah, how SimplyToy's hand was forced like that, good question.

I see, but there is always a way out. Someone on Facebook is already arranging to sort things out, might want to take a look over there.

wanderlai
06-29-2015, 07:00 AM
Damn got the notice to...smh.

thepurist
06-29-2015, 07:04 AM
This sucks big, BIG time. I have Thanos and Phoenix POed with them. Not sure what I am going to do.

Silverine
06-29-2015, 07:12 AM
Same her pfff it sucks but I am glad they wont cancel right away so people like us can keep out options open!

Omg this Phoenix statue will we the end of me + if only those changes where not made she would be here already!

Bobfrog
06-29-2015, 07:17 AM

I'll respectfully agree to disagree Bulls. Would Marvel really have come down on XM without someone else complaining? I doubt it but then that's my opinion. Disney cares more about the bottom line than anything else (we've seen that with their stance on movie license issues) so something like this would only have been an issue for them if it was an issue for ANother license holder in a region different to XM. The only company that is likely to have done so would be SS. I fully understand that they would try and protect their interests but this is a bit like the pot calling the kettle black e.g. SS shipping Bowen stuff outside of NA.

XM also have a legitimate license as well. And I think a lot of people are surprised about this whole retailer restriction - seems to be a new thing a lot havent heard of before. I wonder if SS are stopped from shipping Marvel statues to their region?? Perhaps XM should look into that.

I think it is more like XM have to get big enough to be able to kick up a fuss when something doesn't go in their favour. SS is and has been for a long time a big gateway for disney / marvel stuff to be sold in the US and internationally so they perhaps have a strong voice in that matter.

I always go back to the comment by Jeff Goldblum in Jurassic Park....."life finds a way." Funny how some try to implement all these failsafes and try to prevent other people/companies etc. from achieving or doing something....but in the end it always comes back and winds up biting them in the ass and they screw themselves..

Exactly! Like the avatar tagline btw. Nice touch :)

Awesome
06-29-2015, 07:17 AM
no thanos for me then, and now ill only get like $135 of the $150 deposit, these companies really do enjoy ripping people off.

Rooper
06-29-2015, 07:23 AM

Kenny indicated to me he was affected by this as well. Haven't heard anything from Mark, but I have several pre-orders through him and it'll suck losing them

kevin2323
06-29-2015, 07:37 AM
Kenny indicated to me he was affected by this as well. Haven't heard anything from Mark, but I have several pre-orders through him and it'll suck losing them

hope i can still get my wolverine from Mark. and if i can keep him for star wars that would be great. i feel bad saying this but i hope he doesnt take on anymore people. he already has a tough time communicating with the current amount of people he has.

built2shred
06-29-2015, 08:08 AM
Yep, I just got the same Email, I'm losing Phoenix and Ms. Marvel. :(

Losing the ability to buy XM Stuff won't make me buy more from SS. I doubt it will for any of us so in the end SS QQ'ing won't increase their business. The reason people left or started to buy less is because of their QC issues and not because of XM.

Demona
06-29-2015, 08:17 AM
I understand they're not retailers, but I have seen comments by XM Studios in the past stating how they want to help overseas members etc. and having mentioned these names is all. These people are also getting more than the limit of 2 per customer that XM states they enforce to avoid scalping etc.

It's posts like this that get us in trouble ;)

Take out the names and if you have questions, you should email those people directly (like I did). Not put it on a public forum.

And when I hear something directly from a source, I will PM you the information.

qz33
06-29-2015, 08:19 AM
The private guys are definitely affected too. They are still distributors and are restricted to sales of only 2 per final customer as well as the zoning restrictions.

I think the cause and enforcement of this are fairly simple. Too many XM statues were making into the US with too easily traceable methods. Disney's stance is probably for XM to just do something about it no matter what or they will cancel their license.

Demona
06-29-2015, 08:19 AM
I will flip sh!t if Phoenix is taken away from me now.

I do not understand in the least why this can't be done for NEW POs -- not ones that people have already paid for.

Perhaps it's time to make a serious SF friend who you trust from one of the countries listed. We ship art between ourselves all the time, would somebody be willing to do it with a statue?

Demona
06-29-2015, 08:20 AM
What if it's gift? Can it be shipped to/from a residential address?

Spidey976
06-29-2015, 08:36 AM
I think ANY talk about getting around the tiles is not a good plan and should stop right now. This is the stuff that got this whole thing started. Take the discussion to PMs.... Or at least another section of the boards. This is the XM designated section of the boards. Things that are discussed here are considered by many to be done with XMs complete knowledge. Unless you want to screw them over take it elsewhere.

actionjackson83
06-29-2015, 08:40 AM
Close this thread now imo.

The Mule
06-29-2015, 08:44 AM
This reminds me of the Rocknrolla scene when the Wild Bunch is running from the invincible russians. They drive over one of them, just for him to stand back up, then they stare at each other and flee from the car after screaming "each on his own!".

Atimantium
06-29-2015, 08:45 AM
Did no one really think that this would happen?
It's been obvious since the first pre-order that this was gonna go down this way. Closing the thread can't stop this. But I admire your gumption.

The Mule
06-29-2015, 08:49 AM
Just because yes:

http://media0.giphy.com/media/Wugrp6UR5lj2M/giphy.gif

Demona
06-29-2015, 08:55 AM
What's the record for the most locked threads in a week under one section?

Viper2005
06-29-2015, 09:02 AM
The only people who will benefit from this decision are the flippers.

dechirico7
06-29-2015, 09:03 AM
I would assume that big bad toy store and spec fiction are definitely not getting their order then. I agree, they should start pushing this with new orders, not orders that are locked in. It is going to cause a huge mess with people promising orders. I didn't think people outside of their listed countries could buy from simply toys anyways.

Demona
06-29-2015, 09:08 AM
And what happens to people who are waiting on their Magneto, BW or Wolverine?

All of those have mostly gone out but haven't made it to their owners.

This is a disaster. With the amount of frustration and freaking out we are doing -- I feel for the guys at XM who are trying to figure out how to handle all of this.

Nidgit
06-29-2015, 09:11 AM
What's the record for the most locked threads in a week under one section?

Well, the original thread on this issue was closed because people were either unable or unwilling to confirm what they knew.

The Q&A thread was closed because it was being treated like a General Discussion thread.

And the General Discussion thread was closed mainly because members were being snarky with one another.

Those threads will no doubt be opened in due course. But closing this thread at this time ?

It appears that horse has well and truly bolted.

The Mule
06-29-2015, 09:17 AM
This is why it seemed so suspicious to me, I'd understand if this was something that affects every future order from a certain release - but to be retroactive is plain crazy.
It screws up the distribution chain so bad and leaves everyone in knee deep s--t. Everyone, XM, retailers, customers.

nbr3bagshotrow
06-29-2015, 09:22 AM
I would assume that big bad toy store and spec fiction are definitely not getting their order then. I agree, they should start pushing this with new orders, not orders that are locked in. It is going to cause a huge mess with people promising orders. I didn't think people outside of their listed countries could buy from simply toys anyways.

Of course WE feel that way, but the parties who started this (most likely SS complaining to Disney) could easily push for all orders, since they (XM) are violating their licensing agreement.

nbr3bagshotrow
06-29-2015, 09:22 AM
This is why it seemed so suspicious to me, I'd understand if this was something that affects every future order from a certain release - but to be retroactive is plain crazy.
It screws up the distribution chain so bad and leaves everyone in knee deep s--t. Everyone, XM, retailers, customers.

You think those who started this care if it screws up XM's distribution chain?

Smooth Criminal
06-29-2015, 09:25 AM
Have to agree, it should be for future order not ones from months ago, really bad new for xm collectors in North America. I hope disney realizes that having XM sold worldwide would only help them. Their sculpts are so good I'm buying characters I would never otherwise

dechirico7
06-29-2015, 09:26 AM
Of course WE feel that way, but the parties who started this (most likely SS complaining to Disney) could easily push for all orders, since they (XM) are violating their licensing agreement.

But retailers don't have a contract with Marvel. So really, why can't retailers like simply toys still sell them to people in other countries. Unless, marvel has really put XM in a bind. Which is most likely happening. I heard a few rumors before now about Marvel getting on them.

Smooth Criminal
06-29-2015, 09:27 AM

I'm sure Sideshow had A big part in this as well

Demona
06-29-2015, 09:28 AM
Well, the original thread on this issue was closed because people were either unable or unwilling to confirm what they knew.

The Q&A thread was closed because it was being treated like a General Discussion thread.

And the General Discussion thread was closed mainly because members were being snarky with one another.

Those threads will no doubt be opened in due course. But closing this thread at this time ?

It appears that horse has well and truly bolted.

:laugh:

It bolted before it could be :deadh:

But don't worry, I'm sure it will be wrangled back in no time. Then it can be :admin:

I don't envy y'all having to read everything we post. Not one bit.

nbr3bagshotrow
06-29-2015, 09:32 AM
But retailers don't have a contract with Marvel. So really, why can't retailers like simply toys still sell them to people in other countries. Unless, marvel has really put XM in a bind. Which is most likely happening. I heard a few rumors before now about Marvel getting on them.
Without knowing the actual verbiage in the contract, we don't know. But the fact that companies like BBTS could sell Bowen overseas (even though Bowen couldn't) says there is something fundamentally different with XM's license with Disney. It seems, they can only sell to retailers who sell within XM's authorized region.

J-M-T
06-29-2015, 09:32 AM
It's funny how some people are blaming SS for this.

Btw, just an alternative, look for buddies in those countries who can order one for you. It would be much cheaper rather than getting one from flippers.

This is the same as SS exclusive for us non US citizens. We have to pay a lot more than US collectors for them.

nbr3bagshotrow
06-29-2015, 09:33 AM

I'm sure Sideshow had A big part in this as well

When I stated "SS complaining to Disney" who did you think I was referring to?

nbr3bagshotrow
06-29-2015, 09:35 AM

Btw, just an alternative, look for buddies in those countries who can order one for you. It would be much cheaper rather than getting one from flippers.

This is the same as SS exclusive for us non US citizens. We have to pay a lot more than US collectors for them.

Although it's all supposition, but whom else would alert Disney to the fact someone is selling XM 1/4 scale Marvel statues in SS territory?

Bullseye
06-29-2015, 09:36 AM
I'll respectfully agree to disagree Bulls. Would Marvel really have come down on XM without someone else complaining? I doubt it but then that's my opinion. Disney cares more about the bottom line than anything else (we've seen that with their stance on movie license issues) so something like this would only have been an issue for them if it was an issue for ANother license holder in a region different to XM. The only company that is likely to have done so would be SS. I fully understand that they would try and protect their interests but this is a bit like the pot calling the kettle black e.g. SS shipping Bowen stuff outside of NA.

XM also have a legitimate license as well. And I think a lot of people are surprised about this whole retailer restriction - seems to be a new thing a lot havent heard of before. I wonder if SS are stopped from shipping Marvel statues to their region?? Perhaps XM should look into that.

I think it is more like XM have to get big enough to be able to kick up a fuss when something doesn't go in their favour. SS is and has been for a long time a big gateway for disney / marvel stuff to be sold in the US and internationally so they perhaps have a strong voice in that matter.

Exactly! Like the avatar tagline btw. Nice touch :)

Sideshow got a license to distribute Bowen outside of the US. Randy even confirmed this himself. I'm sorry but there is no comparison or pot calling kettle black here at all.

The Mule
06-29-2015, 09:37 AM
You think those who started this care if it screws up XM's distribution chain?

Not a bit (probably a plus, for them, lol), but that's how it is. I still think it's weird that retailers are, all of a sudden, being under the same restrictions of XM since this was never mentioned before (and the retailers themselves didn't seem to know about it until now).

Also, this just further strengthens my opinion that right now any company should stay away from Disney/Marvel the more they can.
Let's look at what XM got: paying upfront for a very restrictive license, having two major franchises of said license (X Men and FF) on which XM invested shot down entirely and, lastly, have the distribution chain crippled to the core.
Almost every company in this market survives and is successful thanks to "minor" licenses, just look at PCS, ARH, Prime1, Chronicle. Sideshow is the exception, not the rule.
There are many untapped spots and XM can easily grow by dedicating to other licenses that don't face ridicolous restrictions and fascist diktats.
Only ones really losing, here, are the american Marvel and Star Wars fans.

dechirico7
06-29-2015, 09:39 AM

All the guys that have messaged me on here and 90% of the guys flipping Phoenix on Facebook are from Singapore.

J-M-T
06-29-2015, 09:41 AM
All the guys that have messaged me on here and 90% of the guys flipping Phoenix on Facebook are from Singapore.

And I can see why. People are willing to spend so much money on their products and they can't sell globally. They smelled money :D

J-M-T
06-29-2015, 09:42 AM
Although it's all supposition, but whom else would alert Disney to the fact someone is selling XM 1/4 scale Marvel statues in SS territory?

I suppose, but there are also other statue companies producing 1/4 statues.

ambasah
06-29-2015, 09:42 AM

not the same. If I live in Europe I can order a SS exclusive directly without any hassle. Sure I would have to pay more but getting it is a non-issue.

To try and get an xm piece is next to impossible now if you live outside of the "regions" unless you have someone you trust who happens to live in one of the "ok" countries.

J-M-T
06-29-2015, 09:46 AM
not the same. If I live in Europe I can order a SS exclusive directly without any hassle. Sure I would have to pay more but getting it is a non-issue.

To try and get an xm piece is next to impossible now if you live outside of the "regions" unless you have someone you trust who happens to live in one of the "ok" countries.

Oh it was the same to me.

Remember back in the days when SS ex statues sold out in minutes?

I still remember staying up until 3 am or waking up at 4 am (depending on daylight saving time) to order one. And many times ended with a wait list order due to slow internet connection of a third world country.

Getting an SS ex back then was like winning gold, lol

nbr3bagshotrow
06-29-2015, 09:47 AM
I suppose, but there are also other statue companies producing 1/4 statues.
1/4 Marvel statues?

JP Sarri
06-29-2015, 09:49 AM
Mass hysteria for sure.

J-M-T
06-29-2015, 09:50 AM
1/4 Marvel statues?

I thought Gentle Giant was producing some?

ambasah
06-29-2015, 09:51 AM
Oh it was the same to me.

Remember back in the days when SS ex statues sold out in minutes?

I still remember staying up until 3 am or waking up at 4 am (depending on daylight saving time) to order one. And many times ended with a wait list order due to slow internet connection of a third world country.

Getting an SS ex back then was like winning gold, lol

but aside from the time difference, it was an equal playing field. someone in Europe or Australia had just as much of a shot as scoring as someone in the US. The same cannot be said here.

Bullseye
06-29-2015, 09:52 AM
1/4 Marvel statues?

There is a couple more companies out of Singapore also producing 1/4, 1/3 and 1/2 scale pieces. Also company in France with a Marvel license, although I am not sure if Attakus is still producing.

ambasah
06-29-2015, 09:52 AM
I thought Gentle Giant was producing some?

only movie license and believe me, they could care less.

The Mule
06-29-2015, 09:53 AM
Gentle Giant has a few (mostly) movie characters being done, but that's nothing relevant. Same for Iron Studios, they're limited to Brazil and only doing movie characters... something that Sideshow isn't doing anyway.
None of them is pumping out 1:4 Marvel pieces at the rate and with the success of XM. Especially cause comics versions > movie version for most of the collectors out there.

Jack's Username
06-29-2015, 09:54 AM
If SSC (or any other producer for that matter) really had anything to do with this it will completely backfire on them. All this will do is diminish collectors' budgets as they now have to spend even more in the aftermarket, meaning less dollars to go around.

Bullseye
06-29-2015, 09:55 AM
only movie license and believe me, they could care less.

I think they produce comicbook stuff but maybe not at 1/4. So you believe SS if it was indeed them should not protect their license that they paid Marvel and Disney?

J-M-T
06-29-2015, 09:56 AM
but aside from the time difference, it was an equal playing field. someone in Europe or Australia had just as much of a shot as scoring as someone in the US. The same cannot be said here.

Not in my experience. They were not able or perhaps unwilling to ship to Indonesia (credit risks I suppose). I had to open a bank account in Singapore and had the statues delivered to my condo in Singapore. Then I had to fly there and bring 2-3 statues home at a time. Only starting in early 2013 (if I'm not wrong) they started to accept credit cards from Indonesia and able to ship here.

nbr3bagshotrow
06-29-2015, 09:57 AM
If SSC (or any other producer for that matter) really had anything to do with this it will completely backfire on them. All this will do is diminish collectors' budgets as they now have to spend even more in the aftermarket, meaning less dollars to go around.
I disagree. I don't believe there are that many collectors who will pick up on XM pieces on the aftermarket where prices could end up twice what they were paying by getting them from places like Simply Toys.

I have a XM Thor coming but if I had to pay aftermarket prices for it, I'd pass.

The Mule
06-29-2015, 10:01 AM
Dunno. XM pieces at 1500$ were flying off the shelves at SecretCompass. Hard to tell, I don't know the US market *that* much, but I know for sure there's a hell lot of people with deep pockets.

Demona
06-29-2015, 10:10 AM

I don't know if JMT meant the same as when I posted nearly the same comment before, but I meant to see if a fellow SFer in the countries allowed to receive XM statues would allow you to ship your Phoenix to them. Then you pay to have it shipped to you from the SFer.

It will be double shipping and probably other fees -- but you'd have the statue.

Bullseye
06-29-2015, 10:13 AM
I don't know if JMT meant the same as when I posted nearly the same comment before, but I meant to see if a fellow SFer in the countries allowed to receive XM statues would allow you to ship your Phoenix to them. Then you pay to have it shipped to you from the SFer.

It will be double shipping and probably other fees -- but you'd have the statue.

There is a possible problem there. If for example you got it shipped to someone within the EU, they would be hit with big import duties and taxes which you would need to pay and then shipping from EU to the US is not the cheapest. It would not be economical. Your best bet would be someone within Signapore or another Asia country within XM license.

Demona
06-29-2015, 10:21 AM
Damn, I'm lacking in Asia/Signapore based friends.

Thor57
06-29-2015, 10:23 AM
Well, XM was one of the driving factors for me wanting to collect. If they cant be made available to us now, I'm afraid I'll just step away from this hobby and sell everything I own just to get rid of it. Had this big massive display in my head and now *poof* its gone.

A shame.

J-M-T
06-29-2015, 10:26 AM
For me, if it's getting too expensive, I'd just pass and save my money for something else in the future.

actionjackson83
06-29-2015, 10:30 AM
Yup really considering retiring from collecting and selling everything off, just not worth the hassle anymore. I'll just live vicariously through you guys.

k-9
06-29-2015, 10:35 AM
i'm in the uk and can not order from xm eu distributer or from the retailers on their website.

so why people think a retailer who receives stock from xm direct would not be under the same rules of sale?

they've been getting away with it because they thought they could until now.

nbr3bagshotrow
06-29-2015, 10:36 AM
Well, XM was one of the driving factors for me wanting to collect. If they cant be made available to us now, I'm afraid I'll just step away from this hobby and sell everything I own just to get rid of it. Had this big massive display in my head and now *poof* its gone.

A shame.
Comic trading cards and Hot Wheels are still affordable.

Quarthon
06-29-2015, 10:39 AM
I got the email notice from Simply Toys as well. Looks like I'm gonna need to reach out to a couple of my university buddies of mine in Malaysia and Thailand if I really want to secure that Thanos after all.

qz33
06-29-2015, 10:39 AM

But not nearly as desirable.

nbr3bagshotrow
06-29-2015, 10:41 AM

A shame.

Yup really considering retiring from collecting and selling everything off, just not worth the hassle anymore. I'll just live vicariously through you guys.

:waa:

ambasah
06-29-2015, 10:42 AM
I think they produce comicbook stuff but maybe not at 1/4. So you believe SS if it was indeed them should not protect their license that they paid Marvel and Disney?

SS should protect its license. I just think the whole thing is bizarre.

I know nothing about licensing agreements but this is the first time I have heard of a third-party dealer being told who they can and cannot sell to. Like I said, bizarre.

The funny thing is that the actual number of these reaching north america is probably a few hundred of each piece, if that. It says something in my opinion for SS to be so worked up about that, if they indeed did complain to Marvel.

It probably has more to do with their brand being tarnished by every glowing xm review rather than the actually monetary sums.

Bullseye
06-29-2015, 10:44 AM
I would expect ebay and FB to be flooded with these now. You will have flippers bidding for your business and vice versa.

J-M-T
06-29-2015, 10:44 AM
Can US citizens still buy from BBTS?

Atimantium
06-29-2015, 10:47 AM
:):waa:

Thor57
06-29-2015, 10:49 AM
:waa:

Take it easy. Nobody is crying. Your responses are a bit unnecessary.

nbr3bagshotrow
06-29-2015, 10:49 AM

But not nearly as desirable.
Ok, so collect Original Comic art, prints, commission art, or <GASP>

1/6 scale.

Bullseye
06-29-2015, 10:51 AM

1/6 scale.

Original comic art is pretty expensive especially the good pages and covers. Not exactly saving people money here LOL. Too many dodgy commissions in both 2D and 3D have put me off that route.

1/6th tut tut.

nbr3bagshotrow
06-29-2015, 10:53 AM

A shame.

Oh, ok.

Thor57
06-29-2015, 10:54 AM
My issue isnt cost. I want a balanced 1/4, Marvel and DC display. If I was solely collecting DC, I'd be fine with just SS, as they more or less nail those. But their Marvel line is very, very hit or miss.

Thor57
06-29-2015, 10:56 AM
Oh, ok.

Grow up.

Me saying I'll step away if I cant collect want I want to collect and in turn selling the collection, as its incomplete, isnt whining. Its a statement.

In my head, I have a vision of what I'd like my collectible room to look like. That is now in jeopardy, so I decide to just step away. There is no harm in that. I dont see why you seem to care so much.

qz33
06-29-2015, 10:57 AM
What I mean is for many people 1/4 statues are just what they want, it's not about looking for just anything to collect.

I have a glut of Bowens so no bias there.

1/6 scale.

Original comic art is pretty expensive especially the good pages and covers. Not exactly saving people money here LOL. Too many dodgy commissions in both 2D and 3D have put me off that route.

1/6th tut tut.

Morgul Steve
06-29-2015, 11:00 AM
So if you have an order from Simply Toys can you transfer it to someone else? I think it would be better to just do that.

My wife is from the Philippines and I could have this shipped to one of her relatives there but I don't trust the customs agents there.

Silverine
06-29-2015, 11:01 AM

I feel the same way,
do not throw fuel on the fire, people are sad and are in the stress. They type that stuff to get some relief

I am lucky I life nxt to germany but for most people they have no clue what to do now!

yeek
I'm assuming Simply Toys is not a retailer but a distributor in this case. That's why they and all the others on the "authorized seller" list on XM's site are probably in the same boat. Now if you bought from Simply Toys as an individual or shop then you can do whatever you want with it.

I'm sure the US based retailers who bought from an individual are more than likely safe and add to the fact their allocation in most cases were less than 5 pieces probably.

qz33
I don't think nbr3bagshotrow means anything personally. He's just making fun comments based upon a perceived over reaction of people stating they will stop collecting due to this single announced change in XM availability.

He isn't picking on you just making the forums interesting.

Grow up.

Me saying I'll step away if I cant collect want I want to collect and in turn selling the collection, as its incomplete, isnt whining. Its a statement.

In my head, I have a vision of what I'd like my collectible room to look like. That is now in jeopardy, so I decide to just step away. There is no harm in that. I dont see why you seem to care so much.

qz33
06-29-2015, 11:03 AM
I'm assuming Simply Toys is not a retailer but a distributor in this case. That's why they and all the others on the "authorized seller" list on XM's site are probably in the same boat. Now if you bought from Simply Toys as an individual or shop then you can do whatever you want with it.

I'm sure the US based retailers who bought from an individual are more than likely safe and add to the fact their allocation in most cases were less than 5 pieces probably.

The individuals that US based retailers are actually independent distributors that have supplied many people directly here as well.

This will bea widespread issue.

nbr3bagshotrow
06-29-2015, 11:04 AM
I don't think nbr3bagshotrow means anything personally. He's just making fun comments based upon a perceived over reaction of people stating they will stop collecting due to this single announced change in XM availability.

+1

Thor57
06-29-2015, 11:09 AM

I dont think he's attacking me personally. I've talked to Nbr in PM's before, and he's a stellar guy. I have no ill will towards him. I'm just trying to make my view known that I'm not chicken little overreacting.

I had a set display option in my mind. Particular characters, some of which were going to be from XM. I dont like either of SS's Thor's for instance. The new modern Thor is passable, but I'd have to pay 1k to get a custom head made. I wasnt long for this game anyhow. Once I got my display complete, I was walking away as is. I've said that numerous times. This news just means it happens sooner.

skycity
06-29-2015, 11:12 AM
For me Simplytoys and other should send existing preorders already accepted and stop accepting new orders to affected region,that is fairer for everyone.

nbr3bagshotrow
06-29-2015, 11:13 AM
For me Simplytoys and other should send existing preorders already accepted and stop accepting new orders to affected region,that is fairer for everyone.
That might be hard for ST to do if XM is pressured to not ship anything to any retailer who is shipping/selling to US customers.

yeek
06-29-2015, 11:14 AM

Agree, everyone who has any outstanding orders from whatever source should be able to receive their item. The mandate should go in effect for new orders.

AlbertR213
06-29-2015, 11:20 AM
That might be easier said than done.

nbr3bagshotrow
06-29-2015, 11:22 AM
That might be easier said than done.
Exactly, if XM was issued a "Cease and Desist" order to quit shipping to retailers who are selling outside XM's authorized region (again assuming their contract with Disney stipulates that) then ST and other retailer's hands are tied.

Awesome
06-29-2015, 11:30 AM
Ebay will be getting more business because of this, nothing all of us can do.

Mr. Machismo
06-29-2015, 11:32 AM
I also received an e-mail from another official distributor mentioning they can no longer ship outside the approved countries. Lame!

JP Sarri
06-29-2015, 11:33 AM
http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y539/jpsarri/Funny%20GIFS%20and%20Memes/A1417CAE-ADD4-4A3F-B632-CB855B97ED3C_zpszl2whxou.gif (http://s1279.photobucket.com/user/jpsarri/media/Funny%20GIFS%20and%20Memes/A1417CAE-ADD4-4A3F-B632-CB855B97ED3C_zpszl2whxou.gif.html)

Awesome
06-29-2015, 11:35 AM
I also received an e-mail from another official distributor mentioning they can no longer ship outside the approved countries. Lame!

Yeah im sure every distributor got the notice. But now xm should be quick and pay attention to emails about people that want their deposit back. We all basically lost like $10-20 because of the fees.

JP Sarri
06-29-2015, 11:36 AM
Funny thing is that everyone call it quits until the next best thing comes around.

StatueArt
06-29-2015, 11:48 AM
Stay cool, don't worry, these issues can be resolve:)

traylorc
06-29-2015, 11:51 AM

Sorry Jack...I think this is simply wishful thinking on your part.

XM is selling products with a very limited edition size (less than 1,000). There have been maybe seven XM products released...so a total of less than 7,000 pieces??? 7,000 pieces is the typical run of one Sideshow's release. It's not like XM was capturing 90% market share of all collectors who purchase Marvel 1/4 scale statue. Also...think about the number of collectors who have complained they never really had access to XM products in the first place?

IMHO...this current action is not going to cause an "overwhelming" shift in total collector dollars going to the secondary market.

dino76m
06-29-2015, 11:56 AM
everyone should just put up the ST orders for sale and transfer pre orders and hope peeps in Singapore will buy it, at least that way we wont lose money on refund through exchange rates or paypal fees,
I guees ST wont allow that, because they could sell all the stock again for more money as well the other retailers.. double dipping "(

AlbertR213
06-29-2015, 11:57 AM
There are people on Facebook already doing that with their pre orders.

everyone should just put up the ST orders for sale and transfer pre orders and hope peeps in Singapore will buy it, at least that way we wont lose money on refund through exchange rates or paypal fees,
I guees ST wont allow that, because they could sell all the stock again for more money as well the other retailers.. double dipping "(

Awesome
06-29-2015, 12:02 PM
Funny thing is that everyone call it quits until the next best thing comes around.

We have no other choice, its not XM's fault really.

built2shred
06-29-2015, 12:02 PM
SS within their rights to complain, I think what collectors need to do is whenever they receive a bad statue from SS they need to take pictures and complain to Marvel/Disney about the quality of merchandise SS is selling. Might be the way to get SS to up their QC on their products or risk Marvel pulling their license.

AlbertR213
06-29-2015, 12:04 PM
How are we supposed to complain to Marvel/Disney?

SS within their rights to complain, I think what collectors need to do is whenever they receive a bad statue from SS they need to take pictures and complain to Marvel/Disney about the quality of merchandise SS is selling. Might be the way to get SS to up their QC on their products or risk Marvel pulling their license.

dino76m
06-29-2015, 12:06 PM
We have no other choice, its not XM's fault really.

on the contrary, i think it XM fault to a point, they were initially pointing the directions to people who could help get their products for collectors,
after this restrictions, XM will again fall back to these people, so I really dont know what SS gains from here
If XM wanted to allow people to get their products fairly they would ship to freight forwading companies, which they wont do
But Sideshow offers that freight forwarding options for collectors like me in India to order Hot toys and Prime 1 products,
looks like XM wants to control the market through their trusted middle men only, lol
Freight forwarding options exist soley for that purpose, to enable global shopping ,, so XM not doing and encouraging their own middle men to sell is not exactly showing them in a nice light

Jack's Username
06-29-2015, 12:11 PM
Sorry Jack...I think this is simply wishful thinking on your part.

Why would that be wishful thinking on my part? In what world would someone want to spend more money on a single product in the aftermarket? I guess my point was, if this really is a result of a push by another producer, logic would tell me they're attempting to protect the potential market share. I think that may have the reverse effect in many cases. For me, and I suspect I'm not alone, I have a finite budget for these things. If you're now making me spend twice as much (if not more) on, say, an XM Phoenix, well, that's money I no longer have to purchase your products. I'm much more willing to pay a premium for a spectacular XM piece than buy four SSC PFs that I'm simply OK with. Anything I'm on the fence about will now assuredly lose out and I'll become even more selective than current pricing trends are demanding.

nbr3bagshotrow
06-29-2015, 12:14 PM
I think it really comes down to XM didn't understand the ramifications of their contract with Disney. If they did, they never would have worked these deals with companies like ST.

Atimantium
06-29-2015, 12:15 PM
http://s7.postimg.org/yd4xy1ki3/dodson.jpg

Mr. Machismo
06-29-2015, 12:22 PM
My wife is from the Philippines and I could have this shipped to one of her relatives there but I don't trust the customs agents there.

As is my wife, and this is what I was intending to do. Can you elaborate on the customs agents? Is corruption/theft common going through their border? If it is, having these things go through customs twice –-and then again to Canada – well...I'm not sure it's worth it.

JP Sarri
06-29-2015, 12:25 PM
I think it really comes down to XM didn't understand the ramifications of their contract with Disney. If they did, they never would have worked these deals with companies like ST.

Ultimately, it boils down to that. I am sure that SS was the snitch, but XM is to blame for the outcome. They'll learn from their mistake.

traylorc
06-29-2015, 12:27 PM

If you are the licencor (Marvel) you are primarily concerned about the maximum licensing fee you can charge. SS currently has the Marvel license for a number of reasons...the length of their existing relationship, the fact that SS is the biggest collectible distributor in the US, and another likely reason is that SS has the capacity and willingness to pay a premium to maintain the Marvel license. I use the following analogy...Directv is the exclusive NFL Sunday Ticket licensee. One of the reasons Directv has maintained the license, despite the fact that many cable companies would kill for the license, is the fact that Directv is willing to pay a premium. Would the NFL be willing to yank the license if the number of customer complaints about Directv's equipment, customer services, and programming significantly increased? Perhaps...but any concerns about the aforementioned items may be outweighed by the multi-billion dollars in licensing fees Directv is willing to cough up above and beyond their competitors.

Other issue to consider of Marvel elects to yank their license. Is Marvel willing to allow DC to become the premiere partner of the largest US distributor of collectibles? Because if the Marvel license were not available...I imagine there would be an increased focus on releasing DC products. Also...would Marvel now have to contract with multiple distributors to make up for the income they generated with Sideshow?

I am not trying to be dismissive...I am simply suggesting there are potential risks for both SS and Marvel if a decision was made to yank the license.

Thor57
06-29-2015, 12:30 PM
The direct TV analogy is a great example.

nbr3bagshotrow
06-29-2015, 12:32 PM
Ultimately, it boils down to that. I am sure that SS was the snitch, but XM is to blame for the outcome. They'll learn from their mistake.
Ignorance is no excuse (think I've heard that before).

XM Studios is a small company. I doubt they have an on staff attorney familiar with international licensing and whomever they did hire may not have been as experienced as they needed. And whatever the cost, that's factored into the cost of the statues. Compare that to Disney's legal staff and there you go.

traylorc
06-29-2015, 12:33 PM

Agreed...and this is one of the risks involved with being a new business. There is a learning curve involved with everything.

In my current job...one of my biggest pet peeves is requests to finance new businesses. New businesses owners lack experience...they don't know what they don't know. And what they don't know may seriously impact their ongoing ability to repay their request for new financing.

JP Sarri
06-29-2015, 12:39 PM
Ignorance is no excuse (think I've heard that before).

XM Studios is a small company. I doubt they have an on staff attorney familiar with international licensing and whomever they did hire may not have been as experienced as they needed. And whatever the cost, that's factored into the cost of the statues. Compare that to Disney's legal staff and there you go.

Agreed...and this is one of the risks involved with being a new business. There is a learning curve involved with everything.

In my current job...one of my biggest pet peeves is requests to finance new businesses. New businesses owners lack experience...they don't know what they don't know. And what they don't know may seriously impact their ongoing ability to repay their request for new financing.

I totally agree with both.

qz33
06-29-2015, 12:53 PM
Or they just didn't think they would get enough attention for anyone to care.

nbr3bagshotrow
06-29-2015, 12:56 PM
Very possible. Plus they might not have thought the US collectors would have been that much of a market which SS caught onto and brought it to Disney's attention.

Morgul Steve
06-29-2015, 01:07 PM
As is my wife, and this is what I was intending to do. Can you elaborate on the customs agents? Is corruption/theft common going through their border? If it is, having these things go through customs twice –-and then again to Canada – well...I'm not sure it's worth it.

Yeah there is a lot of corruption and theft in the Philippines. We sent a cell phone to her son and it took months to get there and when he got it, it didn't work. I have no idea what they did to it.
You could take a chance with a statue though, I wouldn't think it would be something they would want to steal.

toe
06-29-2015, 01:15 PM
Sometimes in life, you gotta take risk and glad that I did that this time. I'm glad to find a very reliable middle man for my Thanos and Thor and future XM statues.

Rainy
06-29-2015, 01:17 PM
on the contrary, i think it XM fault to a point, they were initially pointing the directions to people who could help get their products for collectors,
after this restrictions, XM will again fall back to these people, so I really dont know what SS gains from here
If XM wanted to allow people to get their products fairly they would ship to freight forwading companies, which they wont do
But Sideshow offers that freight forwarding options for collectors like me in India to order Hot toys and Prime 1 products,
looks like XM wants to control the market through their trusted middle men only, lol
Freight forwarding options exist soley for that purpose, to enable global shopping ,, so XM not doing and encouraging their own middle men to sell is not exactly showing them in a nice light

I think you are right on this, it was nice in the begging however it turn out to something else later

You can find XM product on the preorder date, yet 10s of people selling their preorders for $300+ in FB

Agree with you no one should blame SS, who knows how much they are paying for the license.
If you want to compete with them pay and play on their ground

The only people who will benefit from this decision are the flippers.

So sad XM & PCS always attract flippers

Mr. Machismo
06-29-2015, 01:24 PM
Yeah there is a lot of corruption and theft in the Philippines. We sent a cell phone to her son and it took months to get there and when he got it, it didn't work. I have no idea what they did to it.
You could take a chance with a statue though, I wouldn't think it would be something they would want to steal.

Dangit. Not sure if worth it. Will ask wife lol.

Thanks.

farhan
06-29-2015, 01:31 PM
Any singapore guys here willing to help?..... No?

azurepred
06-29-2015, 01:36 PM

Imaginarium art and Iron Studios aren't supposed to be able to sell to the US either, but they haven't had the clamps put down on them because they defn are more under the radar and SS hasn't felt threatened by them.....yet

nbr3bagshotrow
06-29-2015, 01:40 PM
Imaginarium art and Iron Studios aren't supposed to be able to sell to the US either, but they haven't had the clamps put down on them because they defn are more under the radar and SS hasn't felt threatened by them.....yet
Iron Studios is for the most part 1/6 or 1/10 scale. Imaginarium is 1/4 scale

azurepred
06-29-2015, 01:46 PM
Iron Studios has a big line of 1/4 Marvel coming out and IA is kicking sideshows ass in the 1:2 department.

toe
06-29-2015, 01:47 PM
Sideshow should just let go of the 1/4 scale Marvel license and allow another company to have at it.

toe
06-29-2015, 01:50 PM
All these places I am familiar with, except Liechtenstein. :confused:

... That stated this about my Thanos pre-order.
Dear customer,

you are receiving this email because your order(s) with Simply Toys for Marvel XM studios item(s) is(are) affected. It has come to our attention we are only allowed to sell XM Marvel items to customers with addresses from the following countries:

- Austria
- France
- Germany
- Indonesia
- Italy
- Liechtenstein
- Malaysia
- Portugal
- The Philippines
- Singapore
- Spain
- Switzerland
- Thailand
- China (pending approval)
- Hong Kong (pending approval)

For customers whose shipping address do not below to any of the above mentioned countries, these are the options:
1. We can cancel your order and refund you the deposit
2. You can find a Singapore address and have the person self collect the item from us. We can still bill you for the item but 7% GST will be charged for all local purchases.
3. Have us ship the XM items to an address from the approved list of countries.

Ain't that just a kick in the sack.

nbr3bagshotrow
06-29-2015, 01:53 PM
Sideshow should just let go of the 1/4 scale Marvel license and allow another company to have at it.
:hilarious:

Rooper
06-29-2015, 01:53 PM
All these places I am familiar with, except Liechtenstein. :confused:

That's because around 5 people actually live in Liechtenstein (it's next to Switzerland if you care). :)

skycity
06-29-2015, 01:55 PM
In option (2) “..have the person self collect..”. It is possible Symply Toys or orther delegate a “FRIEND” in Singapore collect & ship for us, he will charges us some fees (her friend is our friend), it's more secure for us.

I think this solution will make everyone happy. I try to find a bypass for this problem, any brother have a better solution?

Spraggih
06-29-2015, 02:26 PM
I'm new to collecting and I do not have any personal stake in this matter. Goodness, I only have one 1/4 scale statue...

*BUT* seeing pics of XM's work is breathtaking. It really looks vibrant, alive, colorful, regal, and grand. I can imagine having one or two statues in my home and people being attracted to the piece :drooling: and wanting to talk about it.

I don't even like Thor too much-- hated reading that writing style in the comic books but XM's version is phenomenal. :buttrock:

Sad in a way, but someone else will enter in the market- perhaps SSD will hire some of the designers/sculptors... who knows???

SkyPunch.co
06-29-2015, 02:32 PM
Im not a patriotic person, but im happy that im staying in Singapore so i dont have to fight to the death with flippers to acquire my statues.

dao2
06-29-2015, 02:44 PM
I am surprised at this announcement, however they were indeed overstepping their license. It is a shame as it will likely be difficult to get the Star Wars stuff as well :(

I do find it a bit funny though as I'm sure it has to do with SS -----ing about it. I know there's nothing wrong with that, they pay for the license, and I'm sure some people are holding double standards here. Everyone on the forums was like "Syco is overstepping their license report them to WB!" when they were doing it but it's ok for XM.

However what I find humerous is Igo's comment from a while ago about how he would enjoy seeing XM after their "honeymoon phase". I guess they didn't have a honeymoon phase and SS just suck and had to go cry over it :P

toe
06-29-2015, 02:52 PM
Sideshow should let go of the 1/4 sclae Star Wars stuff and let another company have at it.

JP Sarri
06-29-2015, 02:57 PM
I am surprised at this announcement, however they were indeed overstepping their license. It is a shame as it will likely be difficult to get the Star Wars stuff as well :(

I do find it a bit funny though as I'm sure it has to do with SS -----ing about it. I know there's nothing wrong with that, they pay for the license, and I'm sure some people are holding double standards here. Everyone on the forums was like "Syco is overstepping their license report them to WB!" when they were doing it but it's ok for XM.

However what I find humerous is Igo's comment from a while ago about how he would enjoy seeing XM after their "honeymoon phase". I guess they didn't have a honeymoon phase and SS just suck and had to go cry over it :P

Excellent point.

dao2
06-29-2015, 03:01 PM
Sideshow should let go of the 1/4 sclae Star Wars stuff and let another company have at it.

I would just prefer there wasn't license exclusivity, but unfortunately the IP holders make more money that way (apparently). I don't have a problem with SS holding the SW license, however I wish they didn't hold it exclusively.

Lawnknome
06-29-2015, 03:09 PM
So, has anyone gotten in contact with the "individual" middle men. Are they getting locked down as well?

Bobfrog
06-29-2015, 03:11 PM
Sideshow got a license to distribute Bowen outside of the US. Randy even confirmed this himself. I'm sorry but there is no comparison or pot calling kettle black here at all.

Fair enough - all I know about that situation is word of mouth.

My point still stands that I disagree that it is SS to blame and not Marvel. SS would have instigated it, that was my main point.

dao2
06-29-2015, 03:17 PM
Fair enough - all I know about that situation is word of mouth.

My point still stands that I disagree that it is SS to blame and not Marvel. SS would have instigated it, that was my main point.

That is true, and while it's kind of lame they paid for the license and for it's exclusivity. It is marvel to blame/the industry that they sell exclusive licenses in the first place cause they're pretty much cancer.

risingstar
06-29-2015, 03:23 PM
This thread reminds me of that SNL skit which aired around the time when it appeared like the US was planning to invade Iraq. It made light of the kinds of questions the reporters were openly asking:

"Can you tell us when you will invade Iraq? Do you have an exact time?"
"Can you tell us where you will attack first?"
"Do you plan on using air strikes or ground assaults or missiles or all of the above?"
"Can you tell us the names of the people you have working for you inside the Iraq military planting you information on best targets?"
"Can you tell us how you will be getting your forces into Iraq? From which border entry?
"Do you have the location of Iraq's secret military bases?

It's amazing.

JP Sarri
06-29-2015, 03:46 PM
This thread reminds me of that SNL skit which aired around the time when it appeared like the US was planning to invade Iraq. It made light of the kinds of questions the reporters were openly asking:

"Can you tell when you will invade Iraq? Do you have an exact time?"
"Can you tell us where you will attack first?"
"Do you plan on using air strikes or ground assaults or missiles or all of the above?"
"Can you tell us the names of the people you have working for you inside the Iraq military planting you information on best targets?"
"Can you tell how you will be getting your forces into Iraq? From which border entry?
"Do you have the location of Iraq's secret military bases?

It's amazing.

:laugh: I agree. Gotta love conspiracy theorists though. Everyone has an idea of the who and why.

JRodri2540
06-29-2015, 03:58 PM
So, has anyone gotten in contact with the "individual" middle men. Are they getting locked down as well?

Yes, at least mine is. Have to ship the XM items to an address/person from the approved list of countries and then have it mailed to me.

madmanny
06-29-2015, 04:03 PM
sad times

Demona
06-29-2015, 04:12 PM

I've still not heard back.

Yes, at least mine is. Have to ship the XM items to an address/person from the approved list of countries and then have it mailed to me.

Hmmmm.....at least your individual has other individuals. Hope this is the case for mine too.

All this work for just one lil statue. #thestruggle

Viper245
06-29-2015, 04:22 PM
Well I am waiting on my Black Widow order to ship that I purchased through Secret Compass and so far all I am getting from Shane is he is pushing as hard as he can but getting no response from his supplier on this piece (Mark). He also said to be on the look out though because his other customers are reporting that some are just showing up without receiving a tracking number email in advance. Since I paid in full over three weeks ago I am not holding out much hope. If I don't see something by the end of the week, I'll be requesting a refund.

I am out of the XM game by the sounds of it and I have serious doubts whether Secret Compass will be able to fulfill their XM orders they have taken up to this point based on what I am reading in this thread.

GrumpyBear
06-29-2015, 04:23 PM
All this work for just one lil statue.
#thestruggle

But if you have it in your hand, anything is ok. :)

JRodri2540
06-29-2015, 04:26 PM
I've still not heard back.

Hmmmm.....at least your individual has other individuals. Hope this is the case for mine too.

All this work for just one lil statue. #thestruggle

That's just it he doesn't have individuals, I have to find someone in one of these countries to have them mailed to. If I can't find someone my pre-orders are canceled.

Formula009
06-29-2015, 05:21 PM
if I was simply toys (or whoever) I'd have an address I could send these items to in order to save face with my clients, and then send them to the Clients from there...just saying.... I would be able to keep all the orders already rather than issue any refunds and everyone is happy... #Blackmarketstatuesmuggling

AlbertR213
06-29-2015, 05:24 PM
Another situation where it is easier said than done.

Funny how most are trying to suggest what the distributors/retailers should do to avoid the restrictions when that's what got XM in trouble in the first place.

if I was simply toys (or whoever) I'd have an address I could send these items to in order to save face with my clients, and then send them to the Clients from there...just saying.... I would be able to keep all the orders already rather than issue any refunds and everyone is happy... #Blackmarketstatuesmuggling

JP Sarri
06-29-2015, 05:55 PM
Another situation where it is easier said than done.

Funny how most are trying to suggest what the distributors/retailers should do to avoid the restrictions when that's what got XM in trouble in the first place.

Exactly.

azurepred
06-29-2015, 06:03 PM

I think all of these people are only able to get 2 per release. I know my Iron Man order is safe, but I may not be able to get another release in the future. As long as they are anywhere in the zone, XM isn't going to know who they ship them too. Those of us using an individual are paying a pretty penny for them to to acquire these.

mikman42
06-29-2015, 11:56 PM
I have Austrian relatives may be worth sending a postcard.I still carn't believe that people are still waiting for their Magneto to arrive?

Hellboy
06-30-2015, 12:45 AM
Sad news for collectors who just want to have the option to buy what they like best.

The licensing agreements are in place to maximize profits and they're put there but Disney/Marvel. This whole poorly structured.. 'this group can have this, but this group can't' is of their making. It is not collector friendly and frankly I've grown tired of it. It reminds me of the unnecessary region coding on Blu-ray Discs, giving one group of collectors something they don't want another group to have.

Speaking for myself this likely marks the end of collecting comic based Marvel product for me for several reasons. First, I'm not liking anything coming out of Sideshow lately. If it isn't the hit & miss QC it's a couple poor creative decisions that ruin an otherwise great looking piece (see brown costumed Wolverine.) Second, I'm not a fan of Disney/Marvel's collector unfriendly business model at all, and as someone who is already growing tired of the collecting game, I think it's basically the straw that broke the camel's back. I don't feel like supporting their territorial collector nonsense. Third, the only other company I purchase comic based Marvel statues (Bowen Designs) is all but dead and irrelevant now. So short of them getting back in the game I am likely out.

KELPIE
06-30-2015, 01:21 AM
I don't know why Australia is tied up in all this.

XM should be able to ship to us as far as I'm aware?

Nidgit
06-30-2015, 01:24 AM
I don't know why Australia is tied up in all this.

XM should be able to ship to us as far as I'm aware?

I asked about that a while ago (figured we are all in the Asia Pacific Region) but apparently we're not on the list.

KELPIE
06-30-2015, 01:28 AM
I asked about that a while ago (figured we are all in the Asia Pacific Region) but apparently we're not on the list.

Yeah, exactly my thoughts. What a bummer.

Thanks for the feedback Nidgit.

Seems we're always Asia Pac when we don't want to be and Oceania when we do... :/

s_paulik87
06-30-2015, 01:36 AM
Glad I have so many contacts in Liechtenstein............

jye318
06-30-2015, 01:53 AM
so if it can't ship from SGP, then we all have to pay double shipping fee, which make us harder to get xm with retail price :(

SurlyJ
06-30-2015, 04:16 AM
Sad news for collectors who just want to have the option to buy what they like best.

The licensing agreements are in place to maximize profits and they're put there but Disney/Marvel. This whole poorly structured.. 'this group can have this, but this group can't' is of their making. It is not collector friendly and frankly I've grown tired of it. It reminds me of the unnecessary region coding on Blu-ray Discs, giving one group of collectors something they don't want another group to have.

Speaking for myself this likely marks the end of collecting comic based Marvel product for me for several reasons. First, I'm not liking anything coming out of Sideshow lately. If it isn't the hit & miss QC it's a couple poor creative decisions that ruin an otherwise great looking piece (see brown costumed Wolverine.) Second, I'm not a fan of Disney/Marvel's collector unfriendly business model at all, and as someone who is already growing tired of the collecting game, I think it's basically the straw that broke the camel's back. I don't feel like supporting their territorial collector nonsense. Third, the only other company I purchase comic based Marvel statues (Bowen Designs) is all but dead and irrelevant now. So short of them getting back in the game I am likely out.

What makes you think that exclusive/regional licensing agreements are the sole territory of marvel/disney and someone of their own invention? Nearly every licensed product based off an IP has licensing restrictions. Certainly every toy and statue, regardless of where the licensed IP originated. Every company charges different prices for regional and international licenses that are or are not exclusive.

farhan
06-30-2015, 05:34 AM
Anyone looking for a "middle men"?

Bobfrog
06-30-2015, 08:35 AM
Yeah, exactly my thoughts. What a bummer.

Thanks for the feedback Nidgit.

Seems we're always Asia Pac when we don't want to be and Oceania when we do... :/

Sounds like the UK and the EU...and I just moved here from Aus!

traylorc
06-30-2015, 08:45 AM
What makes you think that exclusive/regional licensing agreements are the sole territory of marvel/disney and someone of their own invention? Nearly every licensed product based off an IP has licensing restrictions. Certainly every toy and statue, regardless of where the licensed IP originated. Every company charges different prices for regional and international licenses that are or are not exclusive.

I wholeheartedly agree...

I do understand Hellboy's frustration with the licensing agreement concept. However, licensing agreements are not solely about maximizing profits...they are also about enhancing and maintaining existing partnerships.

It would appear that Marvel and Sideshow have a good business partnership. Marvel wants to grow their relationships with other manufacturer's and diversify their licensing revenues...but not at the expense of Sideshow. Licensing agreements allow Marvel to give an up and coming company like XM a shot at the big time, while still protecting their relationship with Sideshow.

JP Sarri
06-30-2015, 09:10 AM
I wholeheartedly agree...

I do understand Hellboy's frustration with the licensing agreement concept. However, licensing agreements are not solely about maximizing profits...they are also about enhancing and maintaining existing partnerships.

It would appear that Marvel and Sideshow have a good business partnership. Marvel wants to grow their relationships with other manufacturer's and diversify their licensing revenues...but not at the expense of Sideshow. Licensing agreements allow Marvel to give an up and coming company like XM a shot at the big time, while still protecting their relationship with Sideshow.

:thumbs2:

Nebiros
06-30-2015, 09:17 AM
If someone needs an intermediary, I live in Italy. I warn you though that shipping and duties are not low.

Awesome
06-30-2015, 10:03 AM
How long do you think it will take simply toys to respond to our emails about refunds? I sent them an email about something else nearly a month ago and they havent even responded. Im pissed about losing money because of fees twice.

Lawnknome
06-30-2015, 10:17 AM
How long do you think it will take xm to respond to our emails about refunds? I sent them an email about something else nearly a month ago and they havent even responded. Im pissed about losing money because of fees twice.

XM or ST? XM responds very fast, especially if you talk to them on facebook.

thepurist
06-30-2015, 10:27 AM
ST on the other hand takes forever...

farhan
06-30-2015, 10:29 AM
Dont refund guys if its possible. Find a way to own this awesome XM pieces. All u need is trust and the future have no boundaries. they are few genuine people here to help.

Awesome
06-30-2015, 10:33 AM
Damn my mistake i meant simply toys.

AlbertR213
06-30-2015, 10:49 AM
Anyone else getting PMs from people over in Singapore?

farhan
06-30-2015, 10:51 AM
Flooded with PMs.

Thor57
06-30-2015, 10:52 AM
I haven't received any.

FROBAY
06-30-2015, 10:54 AM
None here. The problem for most of us is finding someone you can trust.

Viper245
06-30-2015, 10:55 AM
I echo Hellboy's comments in terms of being done with Marvel comic statues as a result of this development. It's now clear to me that it will be next to impossible to get any future XM pieces if you live in North America without jumping though a number of hoops and paying significantly more in fees to get them. I am simply not willing to take those steps. XM pieces are nice but aren't worth the headache to me that will now be required to secure them going forward. If/when I get my XM orders from Secret Compass that will be it for me.

Y3E
06-30-2015, 10:56 AM
I haven't heard anything from the middlemen I ordered from so I guess the orders are still good

GrumpyBear
06-30-2015, 10:56 AM
This was posted on the freaks board, same thread.

Secret Compass reply about current XM orders:

we do not have any signs that there will be any problems on existing orders
will keep you posted

-Shane
Secret Compass Team

Sent from my XT910

Lawnknome
06-30-2015, 10:59 AM
Well that is some hope at least.

dino76m
06-30-2015, 11:02 AM
I haven't heard anything from the middlemen I ordered from so I guess the orders are still good

Middle earth,, sorry middle men is the only sure place to get XM statues now

Viper245
06-30-2015, 11:03 AM

Well that's encouraging at least for the moment.

built2shred
06-30-2015, 11:16 AM

Yeah I got a few, the one thing I don't quite understand is people are only allowed 2 statues so they can't buy more then that, unless they want us all to use the same address which technically I guess works but I wonder if Simple Toys would get suspicious

wanderlai
06-30-2015, 11:18 AM
PM' s or FB messaging guys. The Eye of Sauron is watching.

http://media.giphy.com/media/10wgT5PDnOwMQE/giphy.gif

The Mule
06-30-2015, 11:19 AM
Kinda glad that comics character are secondary, in my collecting interests.
One thing I really find disturbing is not only that we're spending huge sums of money on these collectibles, but that we have to bear these Game of Thrones-esque plots between companies, licensors and licensees to be able to do so.
A lot of unnecessary (and unrequired) headache, struggle, just to be able to spend thousands of dollars. Ironic.

nbr3bagshotrow
06-30-2015, 11:32 AM
Got one, but I already have a source.

AlizAbef
06-30-2015, 11:33 AM
One thing I really find disturbing is not only that we're spending huge sums of money on these collectibles, but that we have to bear these Game of Thrones-esque plots between companies, licensors and licensees to be able to do so.
A lot of unnecessary (and unrequired) headache, struggle, just to be able to spend thousands of dollars. Ironic.

I agree, dude. It's pretty pathetic that certain companies can't handle friendly competition. If said companies are so big and so good at what they do, then they should have no problem increasing their statue making/selling game. Instead, they run away crying to big brother because their North American hype train is changing tracks.

risingstar
06-30-2015, 11:45 AM

All I can say is that these new kids have brought some much needed excitement and creativity to the industry. That part, at least, has been amazing.

Mr. Machismo
06-30-2015, 12:05 PM
With all this in mind (and XM's 1/4 Spidey coming...) I'd like to cancel my EX 1/6th Spidey but don't want to eat the deposit. Do they ever refund the deposit?

farhan
06-30-2015, 12:33 PM
Middle men....

Jiggatron69
06-30-2015, 12:50 PM

It feels like its getting harder to justify the kind of money we are shelling out only to be subjected to monopolistic practices. If SS was on its A game, they wouldn't have to resort to this nonsense. I'm pretty miffed about this because I was stoked to get the Mrs Marvel and Elektra statues but now I guess i'll just pass. Unless there is a reliable source for XM products, where I don't have to pay exorbitant fees, i doubt I will continue with Marvel statues. SS's recent performance has left me nonplussed and I find their art direction to be diverging with my interests. Oh well, better luck to SS next year I suppose.

XMAN
06-30-2015, 12:56 PM
The way I see it....this will only effect collectors since now they will have to pay more to have these pieces delivered....(all within and without breaking the license agreement of course) It's like gun laws that only effect the law abiding citizen......in any case collectors will pay more to obtain the unobtainable or the piece that they desire to have. I have already canceled a few if my sideshow orders in order to help pay for this extra expense.....if sideshow wants my money they will have to convince me to buy from them by making pieces with excellent quality control and top notch detailing. Otherwise I can assure them that this situation will cost them sales at least from my end.....In other words I refuse to settle for second best....even if I'm offered free delivery with a discount along with promotions code.....

Silverine
06-30-2015, 01:08 PM
The way I see it....this will only effect collectors since now they will have to pay more to have these pieces delivered....(all within and without breaking the license agreement of course) It's like gun laws that only effect the law abiding citizen......in any case collectors will pay more to obtain the unobtainable or the piece that they desire to have. I have already canceled a few if my sideshow orders in order to help pay for this extra expense.....if sideshow wants my money they will have to convince me to buy from them by making pieces with excellent quality control and top notch detailing. Otherwise I can assure them that this situation will cost them sales at least from my end.....In other words I refuse to settle for second best....even if I'm offered free delivery with a discount along with promotions code.....

So funny, now that we have to pay more for XM less money for sideshow in a way :(

traylorc
06-30-2015, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Magston View Post
Secret Compass reply about current XM orders:

we do not have any signs that there will be any problems on existing orders
will keep you posted

-Shane
Secret Compass Team

Sent from my XT910

Not directing this comment at you Grumpy...I realize you were just re-posting Shane's comment.

Let me state up front this is my opinion only...but I have a hard time believing Secret Compass is going to be able to honor their XM orders given recent news.

1) The reason behind all of this chaos is the fact that terms of the licensing agreement were being violation with the sales of XM products to customers outside pre-determined sales territories. If Secret Compass were allowed to maintain their existing XM orders...the terms of that agreement are still being violated. Oh...and if you are going to allow Secret Compass to keep their orders...why not allow BBTS, any other US retailer, or any individual middleman that managed to get their hands on XM product to maintain their orders?

2) XM is going to allow Secret Compass to maintain their orders...but force other retailers who can legitimately sell XM product within the terms of the existing licensing agreement (Simply Toys & Lil Monsters) to abandon their orders?? Ok...so the retailers that XM needs to be successful on a go forward basis have to give up their US orders and lose out on that revenue. However, retailers like Secret Compass (who cannot help XM on a go forward basis) will be allowed to continue to violating the existing licensing agreement??

3) Secret Compass getting their hands on XM products to fulfill orders to US customers potentially jeopardizes XM's relationship with Marvel. Perhaps Shane can find a way to get his hands on XM products...you better believe the word will get out from some collector who states on a forum or public media outlet "I bought my XM Thanos from Secret Compass".

Again...let me re-iterate I am simply thinking out loud. Perhaps Shane can find a way to pull this off...

HeromanPunch
06-30-2015, 01:26 PM
I guess SC is buying from a middle man. So they are actually reselling a item and not a item distributed from XM directly. The answer is no one knows how it will work until the ban hammer swings.

dino76m
06-30-2015, 01:29 PM
Not directing this comment at you Grumpy...I realize you were just re-posting Shane's comment.

Let me state up front this is my opinion only...but I have a hard time believing Secret Compass is going to be able to honor their XM orders given recent news.

1) The reason behind all of this chaos is the fact that terms of the licensing agreement were being violation with the sales of XM products to customers outside pre-determined sales territories. If Secret Compass were allowed to maintain their existing XM orders...the terms of that agreement are still being violated. Oh...and if you are going to allow Secret Compass to keep their orders...why not allow BBTS, any other US retailer, or any individual middleman that managed to get their hands on XM product to maintain their orders?

2) XM is going to allow Secret Compass to maintain their orders...but force other retailers who can legitimately sell XM product within the terms of the existing licensing agreement (Simply Toys & Lil Monsters) to abandon their orders?? Ok...so the retailers that XM needs to be successful on a go forward basis have to give up their US orders and lose out on that revenue. However, retailers like Secret Compass (who cannot help XM on a go forward basis) will be allowed to continue to violating the existing licensing agreement??

3) Secret Compass getting their hands on XM products to fulfill orders to US customers potentially jeopardizes XM's relationship with Marvel. Perhaps Shane can find a way to get his hands on XM products...you better believe the word will get out from some collector who states on a forum or public media outlet "I bought my XM Thanos from Secret Compass".

Again...let me re-iterate I am simply thinking out loud. Perhaps Shane can find a way to pull this off...

the fact is XM themselves are violating probably by pointing direction towards their favored middle men to .. if that isnt blatant , I dont what is, Secret Compass too gets their stuff from one of these middle -men so they are probably safe as well, remeber SC sells at a marked up price of nearly 1500$
the whole point of restricting stores like ST and retailers is pointless when XM themselves encourage buying from these middle-men,, I still dont get why they wont allow freight forwarding,
Sideshow doesnt have license to sell HT and Prime 1 products to Asia and if anyone want those, SS themselves suggest freight forwarding as an option, because their HT and Prime 1 exclusives prices are better than any other retailers

If XM wanted collectors to get a fair shot at their products then they should allow freight forwarding shipping option ,If Sideshow can use that option to get around license restriction , I dont see why XM cant.. since legally they are shipping to their licensed areas only

Viper245
06-30-2015, 01:39 PM

I think Secret Compass will ultimately not be able to fulfill their orders for the reasons you stated. Shane probably hasn't been notified as such yet by his supplier but it's only a matter of time.

Hellboy
06-30-2015, 01:54 PM

Disney/Marvel owns the rights, they make the rules as they see fit, they set the boundaries and grant exclusivity to companies so they can charge a premium for the license. In no way does setting boundaries and creating geographical monopolies benefit the consumer/collector. It can benefit the companies paying for the license and "enhance the partnership," but at what cost? By eliminating competition and creating a monopoly you take away the incentive for a company to strive for greatness because they have a built in audience/consumer base. Companies are at their best when they're forced to compete for your hard earned dollars. The quality of the product and the quality of the service have to be maintained or they won't succeed. Collectors get the most out of the hobby when they have options. Take away those options and the hobby loses it's luster for many of us.

Thor57
06-30-2015, 02:11 PM
I think Secret Compass will ultimately not be able to fulfill their orders for the reasons you stated. Shane probably hasn't been notified as such yet by his supplier but it's only a matter of time.

This. Shane saying "We don't have any sign that there will be problems" is much different than "We have been assured our orders are safe." One means "I haven't talked to my guy, so I can assume we're good for now." And the other is "I have talked to our guy, and he has let me know I'll continue to receive stock."

If the latter, he's a bit naïve to post that on facebook, as it can be quickly tracked back to who is supplying him, and that person is cut off.

Someone said it earlier, if you can or are continuing to receive XM stuff, STFU about how in a public setting. Its a pretty simple concept.

The distributors asked months ago "Keep it on the low." But people kept talking about it, myself included, revealing who they got theirs from or where they're coming from. And it bit us in the arse.

built2shred
06-30-2015, 02:12 PM
the fact is XM themselves are violating probably by pointing direction towards their favored middle men to .. if that isnt blatant , I dont what is, Secret Compass too gets their stuff from one of these middle -men so they are probably safe as well, remeber SC sells at a marked up price of nearly 1500$
the whole point of restricting stores like ST and retailers is pointless when XM themselves encourage buying from these middle-men,, I still dont get why they wont allow freight forwarding,
Sideshow doesnt have license to sell HT and Prime 1 products to Asia and if anyone want those, SS themselves suggest freight forwarding as an option, because their HT and Prime 1 exclusives prices are better than any other retailers

If XM wanted collectors to get a fair shot at their products then they should allow freight forwarding shipping option ,If Sideshow can use that option to get around license restriction , I dont see why XM cant.. since legally they are shipping to their licensed areas only

From what I've seen XM has only directed people to their official retailer list when asked where they can buy these items. I don't remember XM ever endorsing or directing people to middle men.

XM has stated in the past that they can not control who the retailers sell to, so based on that statement I can only think that this new restriction was brought about in order for XM to get the Star Wars License.

Formula009
06-30-2015, 02:28 PM
XM statues have to be treated like illegal immigration for U.S. Buyers now. If you're smuggling them in best not to say how. lol.

Mammal
06-30-2015, 03:19 PM
None here. The problem for most of us is finding someone you can trust.

Maybe I'm pessimistic, but I can't help but predict a massive amount of fraud about to occur with this. I hope people exercise caution. If you transfer your order that you've already paid for (partial deposit or full) over to a complete unvetted source in a foreign country, that'd be risky enough even if the item was still going for retail price. But the fact that these are almost all now selling for far above retail price (and will only get worse with the embargo) only increases the incentive to steal.

I suspect there will be a lot of people who transfer their orders to "Random Person in Singapore" who will end up with nothing. They won't have any recourse against Simply Toys or their seller (because they told the seller to ship to that person), and they won't have any practical recourse against "Random Person in Singapore." And "Random Person in Singapore" will end up with a figure for less than retail that he can now flip for market price.

SurlyJ
06-30-2015, 03:21 PM
It will be best for everyone if this conversation ends. Particularly moving forward.

Forums and everyone yakking away about it is likely what brought this all on in the first place. The things you say here are NOT private and if you think all companies don't have people (aside from the official reps) reading through forums and facebook groups you are naive.

nbr3bagshotrow
06-30-2015, 03:30 PM
Disney/Marvel owns the rights, they make the rules as they see fit, they set the boundaries and grant exclusivity to companies so they can charge a premium for the license. In no way does setting boundaries and creating geographical monopolies benefit the consumer/collector. It can benefit the companies paying for the license and "enhance the partnership," but at what cost? By eliminating competition and creating a monopoly you take away the incentive for a company to strive for greatness because they have a built in audience/consumer base. Companies are at their best when they're forced to compete for your hard earned dollars. The quality of the product and the quality of the service have to be maintained or they won't succeed. Collectors get the most out of the hobby when they have options. Take away those options and the hobby loses it's luster for many of us.
If Disney/Marvel "opened" up the floodgates and let anyone produce statues us collectors would lose out for a few years. Companies would start producing and at some point some would end up out of business where all those collectors who followed those companies (e.g. Hard Hero) end up not able to complete collections. Those companies that go out of business will leave customers out on a limb for damaged statues and QC issues. These companies would end up bidding for sculptors/paint factories which ultimately won't drop prices much (if any). For many years I see dogs / cats sleeping together, mass hysteria should this occur.

I'm totally cool with the current situation. Let XM build up their business. At some point, they may be able to outbid Sideshow for the US market. But to expect it to happen in the first year or two of "going public" is too much to expect IMO.

SurlyJ
06-30-2015, 03:34 PM

Yes... and NONE of this is exclusive to disney/marvel. All corporate entities that own desirable IPs operate in the same way with their licenses. Licenses are highly specific and often exclusive when it comes to a type of product. It's why one company can make a 6" figure, and another has to make an 8" figure and another a 12" figure. Why one company gets the 1/6 scale statue rights and another gets the 1/4 scale rights. You think DC does things any differently? Of course they don't.

You do have options, but you don't have options across identical items and you rarely ever do when it comes to collectibles/toys. Notice how you don't get 12" batman figures from the same movie or comic or game from different companies? Because each one owns a different license. Hot Toys has the movie and video game 1/6 license. Sideshow has many of the comic licenses. Sometimes, as with Star Wars, there is some crossover because either disney hasn't sold the license as an exclusive right or the manufacturers didn't want to pay the price for exclusivity. Or they break it down by exclusive rights for certain characters and looks of those characters. You can't pin this on Marvel/Disney when the entire friggin industry operates the same way.

traylorc
06-30-2015, 03:39 PM

I agree with many of your comments...you make some very good points. Unfortunately we both know the "perfect world" scenario does not exist. There is no scenario where companies generate maximum profits, there are no restrictive business practices, and every business strategy implemented is 100% in the customer's best interest. Whether we like it or not, licensing agreements, territorial restrictions, and minimization of competition will continue to exist.

Additionally, I'm unclear why this current scenario between XM and Marvel somehow prevents XM from "striving for greatness". IMHO...XM's management can easily use this situation to motivate themselves. XM's makes good products, they pro-actively solicit input from fans on sculpts, when there are customer service issues they step up and take care of the customer. If they continue taking care of business, potentially they could secure a license which allows them to sell directly to the US.

FETTFAN
06-30-2015, 04:04 PM
Many customers pre orders will not ship for several months if not longer for example Black Bolt. Just curious what the timeframe is to cancel orders if you cant find a suitable address to ship too as in 6 months time selling restrictions could be lifted. Would be sickening to cancel orders now only for embargos to be lifted.

Hellboy
06-30-2015, 05:15 PM
If Disney/Marvel "opened" up the floodgates and let anyone produce statues us collectors would lose out for a few years. Companies would start producing and at some point some would end up out of business where all those collectors who followed those companies (e.g. Hard Hero) end up not able to complete collections. Those companies that go out of business will leave customers out on a limb for damaged statues and QC issues. These companies would end up bidding for sculptors/paint factories which ultimately won't drop prices much (if any). For many years I see dogs / cats sleeping together, mass hysteria should this occur.

I'm totally cool with the current situation. Let XM build up their business. At some point, they may be able to outbid Sideshow for the US market. But to expect it to happen in the first year or two of "going public" is too much to expect IMO.

I'm not saying open the floodgates and let every company that can afford the license have a go at it. That would be a bad situation and the brand would suffer. All I'm saying is I'm not a fan of one company having complete control of any given market when it comes to high end statues like these. I don't think the brand would suffer if you had a couple companies competing for your dollars in any given territory.

Yes... and NONE of this is exclusive to disney/marvel. All corporate entities that own desirable IPs operate in the same way with their licenses. Licenses are highly specific and often exclusive when it comes to a type of product. It's why one company can make a 6" figure, and another has to make an 8" figure and another a 12" figure. Why one company gets the 1/6 scale statue rights and another gets the 1/4 scale rights. You think DC does things any differently? Of course they don't.

You do have options, but you don't have options across identical items and you rarely ever do when it comes to collectibles/toys. Notice how you don't get 12" batman figures from the same movie or comic or game from different companies? Because each one owns a different license. Hot Toys has the movie and video game 1/6 license. Sideshow has many of the comic licenses. Sometimes, as with Star Wars, there is some crossover because either disney hasn't sold the license as an exclusive right or the manufacturers didn't want to pay the price for exclusivity. Or they break it down by exclusive rights for certain characters and looks of those characters. You can't pin this on Marvel/Disney when the entire friggin industry operates the same way.

Well, I never said this business practice was exclusive to Disney/Marvel, only that they set the rules as they see fit and if they wanted to they could change it. Just because many other companies do it with other licenses doesn't mean I or others need to like or support it. As a collector I just prefer the benefits of direct competition opposed to territorial monopolies.

I agree with many of your comments...you make some very good points. Unfortunately we both know the "perfect world" scenario does not exist. There is no scenario where companies generate maximum profits, there are no restrictive business practices, and every business strategy implemented is 100% in the customer's best interest. Whether we like it or not, licensing agreements, territorial restrictions, and minimization of competition will continue to exist.

Additionally, I'm unclear why this current scenario between XM and Marvel somehow prevents XM from "striving for greatness". IMHO...XM's management can easily use this situation to motivate themselves. XM's makes good products, they pro-actively solicit input from fans on sculpts, when there are customer service issues they step up and take care of the customer. If they continue taking care of business, potentially they could secure a license which allows them to sell directly to the US.

The "strive for greatness" comment wasn't aimed at XM. They're clearly striving to make a name for themselves in a market dominated by Sideshow. This is evident in their approach and how they share WIP pics and incorporate constructive criticism directly from the collecting community. The comment was aimed squarely at the U.S. marketplace, in this case specifically Sideshow. With no direct competition they can afford to have a "take it or leave it" approach as they know a good percentage of collectors will indeed take it as they have no alternate options.

XMAN
06-30-2015, 05:53 PM
I'm not saying open the floodgates and let every company that can afford the license have a go at it. That would be a bad situation and the brand would suffer. All I'm saying is I'm not a fan of one company having complete control of any given market when it comes to high end statues like these. I don't think the brand would suffer if you had a couple companies competing for your dollars in any given territory.

Well, I never said this business practice was exclusive to Disney/Marvel, only that they set the rules as they see fit and if they wanted to they could change it. Just because many other companies do it with other licenses doesn't mean I or others need to like or support it. As a collector I just prefer the benefits of direct competition opposed to territorial monopolies.

The "strive for greatness" comment wasn't aimed at XM. They're clearly striving to make a name for themselves in a market dominated by Sideshow. This is evident in their approach and how they share WIP pics and incorporate constructive criticism directly from the collecting community. The comment was aimed squarely at the U.S. marketplace, in this case specifically Sideshow. With no direct competition they can afford to have a "take it or leave it" approach as they know a good percentage of collectors will indeed take it as they have no alternate options.

:iagree::goodpost:

Spidey976
06-30-2015, 05:53 PM
It will be best for everyone if this conversation ends. Particularly moving forward.

Forums and everyone yakking away about it is likely what brought this all on in the first place. The things you say here are NOT private and if you think all companies don't have people (aside from the official reps) reading through forums and facebook groups you are naive.

^^^^^^This!

FROBAY
06-30-2015, 06:09 PM

:buttrock:

traylorc
06-30-2015, 06:20 PM

I hear you...but I'm conflicted.

I can't help feeling that what really brought this all on was the failure on XM's management team to understand and/or adhere the terms of the licensing agreement they signed with Marvel.

Are we really going to place the blame on collectors whose "crime" was talking about how they purchased these wonderful statues? The whole reason we come together as a forum is to discuss every aspect of how we acquire collectibles. Even if every person on Facebook or in the forums said absolutely nothing about acquiring XM products...that does not mean Sideshow or Marvel never finds out about this situation.

In these types of situation, talk within the XM's own distribution chain (distributors and suppliers) may have elevated this information to Sideshow's or Marvel's attention as much as anything said in forums and social media.

Maybe as forum members we bear some of the responsibility...but XM's management should take some of the blame as well.

HeromanPunch
06-30-2015, 06:50 PM
Doesn't the situation also applies to koto as well for their Asia released statues? Anyways it's up to XM to get the marvel rights to sell in the US. I don't see any Collectors fors being at fault here for getting excited over XM statues they purchased with their hard earned money

TethMau74
06-30-2015, 08:20 PM

I just noticed that XM Studios products have been removed from the Secret Compass website, except for the Captain America 1/6 scale statue. Odd that they still list Cap but not the Thor, Loki, or the "exclusive Toys Station" Iron Man that they had up before.

risingstar
06-30-2015, 08:48 PM
I remember an interview with Paul Stanley discussing the issue of bootlegs and exclusive imports, i.e., concerts, demos, video footage, collectible memorabilia, and so on. While perhaps not the same thing as the issue discussed here, at no point did Paul blame the fans for wanting the stuff. He completely understood the desire of fans to want the best and hardest to find collectibles of their favorite rock and roll band.

Fans, by definition, are those who get excited by things they enjoy. Many will go through great lengths and expense to access and secure that which they desire most. The wheel was certainly not created by XM's Magneto.

traylorc
06-30-2015, 10:25 PM
I remember an interview with Paul Stanley discussing the issue of bootlegs and exclusive imports, i.e., concerts, demos, video footage, collectible memorabilia, and so on. While perhaps not the same thing as the issue discussed here, at no point did Paul blame the fans for wanting the stuff. He completely understood the desire of fans to want the best and hardest to find collectibles of their favorite rock and roll band.

Fans, by definition, are those who get excited by things they enjoy. Many will go through great lengths and expense to access and secure that which they desire most. The wheel was certainly not created by XM's Magneto.

Great point Risingstar...

Viper245
07-01-2015, 12:50 AM
I just noticed that XM Studios products have been removed from the Secret Compass website, except for the Captain America 1/6 scale statue. Odd that they still list Cap but not the Thor, Loki, or the "exclusive Toys Station" Iron Man that they had up before.

I just saw that. 1/6 Cap is gone now too. That would indicate to me that they don't anticipate being able to sell anymore XM pieces going forward. Hopefully they wil be able to fulfill the XM orders they have already taken.

SurlyJ
07-01-2015, 01:01 AM
I hear you...but I'm conflicted.

I can't help feeling that what really brought this all on was the failure on XM's management team to understand and/or adhere the terms of the licensing agreement they signed with Marvel.

Are we really going to place the blame on collectors whose "crime" was talking about how they purchased these wonderful statues? The whole reason we come together as a forum is to discuss every aspect of how we acquire collectibles. Even if every person on Facebook or in the forums said absolutely nothing about acquiring XM products...that does not mean Sideshow or Marvel never finds out about this situation.

In these types of situation, talk within the XM's own distribution chain (distributors and suppliers) may have elevated this information to Sideshow's or Marvel's attention as much as anything said in forums and social media.

Maybe as forum members we bear some of the responsibility...but XM's management should take some of the blame as well.

I certainly don't mean to hold XM without any blame. Not at all. I mostly mean moving forward it can only help to just drop the issue and not be so explicit about channels through which statues are obtained.

While you are right, sideshow/marvel/disney/whoever can find out people are getting XM statues outside the licensing area without our help, the sheer amount of people being facilitated and extolling their sources could not have helped the issue.

traylorc
07-01-2015, 01:14 AM
I certainly don't mean to hold XM without any blame. Not at all. I mostly mean moving forward it can only help to just drop the issue and not be so explicit about channels through which statues are obtained.

While you are right, sideshow/marvel/disney/whoever can find out people are getting XM statues outside the licensing area without our help, the sheer amount of people being facilitated and extolling their sources could not have helped the issue.

Thanks for the clarification...you make some excellent points.

Awesome
07-01-2015, 05:01 AM
Another day passes and still no response from simply toys.

Silverine
07-01-2015, 05:04 AM
Another day passes and still no response from simply toys.
I am sure they are over run by questions, I am waiting also but I have the time.

Awesome
07-01-2015, 05:15 AM
I sent one email about a month ago and another one asking for a refund two days ago.

Peedi
07-01-2015, 08:37 AM
I emailed them well over a month ago and they never responded back to my question, either.

But of course they spent no time telling me they couldn't ship to my address on Monday. Smh.

farhan
07-01-2015, 09:12 AM
Middle man yo

Smbdyfnkillme
07-01-2015, 09:24 AM
Middle man yo

They have to respond to emails first. I can't even find Mark.

Lawnknome
07-01-2015, 09:41 AM
They have to respond to emails first. I can't even find Mark.

I would like to echo this

built2shred
07-01-2015, 10:39 AM
I'm sure Mark has like thousands of emails flooding his box :) I wouldn't expect to hear back from him until he knows exactly what he's going to do. He might be scrambling to figure out a solution for us members. ((( shrug )))

Mr. Machismo
07-01-2015, 10:40 AM
Who's this Mark guy? It seems absolutely absurd to me that he has so many customers and is ignoring all of them. As an outsider looking in, that doesn't add up –-or, he at least lacks any semblance of professionalism. Here's hoping it works out for you guys...

It seems to me he should at least have an e-mail list of all his customers, in which he can quickly send out a blast saying "I'm working on it.", no?

kevin2323
07-01-2015, 10:42 AM
Who's this Mark guy? It seems absolutely absurd to me that he has so many customers and is ignoring all of them. As an outsider looking in, that doesn't add up –-or, he at least lacks any semblance of professionalism. Here's hoping it works out for you guys...

It seems to me he should at least have an e-mail list of all his customers, in which he can quickly send out a blast saying "I'm working on it.", no?

yes he should. but at this point it is what it is. i just want my wolverine so i can move on.