PDA

View Full Version : Ok, need some painting/priming advice

cap70
09-07-2005, 12:15 PM
Heyall,
I got the Yoda bust kit from Rob, and even tough he gave me excellent advice on how to paint/what to buy, I would like to hear from other master painters as well. If you can post what a good paint to buy, what prime brand is good etc etc I would really apreciate! :)
Also, I need to "glue" the pieces together, so need advice on this as well, like what epoxy I can use to remove the "seams" and paint/sculpt over etc.
Any feedback would be really apreciated.

thxs

RickDTM
09-07-2005, 12:42 PM
Cap - For seam removal, the back of an exacto knife will work, as will files, sandpaper and if you have one, a Dremel tool works wonders if you're careful! :D For glue, you can use super glue ( I recommend Zap-a-Gap) or any 5 minute epoxy. Danno recommends Plastic Welder, and while I haven't tried it yet (can't find it!) he swears by it.

For hiding the joint lines, Aves Apoxie sculpt all the way.

For Primer, I recommend Duplicolor Gray or Plasticote.

Paints - You can't go wrong w/ Liquitex, Golden or even Ceramcoat and Apple Barrel craft paints. If you're airbrushing, I recommend Golden and ComArt airbrush ready paints.

My .02!

cap70
09-07-2005, 03:07 PM
Wow, priceless! Thanks one more time Rick, you are the man!! :buttrock: :thumbs2:

Danno
09-07-2005, 04:05 PM
I can only echo Ricks comments! Grand advice and you can't go wrong with any of that.

cap70
09-07-2005, 11:09 PM
Thanks, Danno, you guys are the best! :) I will try to paint it, but be prepaired in case I need to send it out for one of you guys to re-paint it! :laugh:

cheers,
C.

Jack8022
09-08-2005, 09:36 AM
I'll chime in on some advice of what I use.
For primer I use Krylon sandable primer (available just about everywhere).
For paints, Testors Model Masters line.

For seam-filling, I use something that I had read on a model aircraft site somewhere (I lost the link when my HD died). I fill up the seam with testors putty and let it dry for a little bit but not harden. I then steal my wife's nail poilsh removel and a bunch of q-tipes. Dab the qtip in the remover and smooth off the excess putty. Fills the seams up noce and preserves the model's surface. I was glad I found this tip because I do mostly sci-fi models and was sick of losing the details because of sanding.

cap70
09-08-2005, 12:30 PM
Thanks much Jack, the more input, the better. :thumbs2:

I went to Pearl's and Michaels but didn't find many things. You should see the lady's face when I mentioned Aves Apoxie. :laugh: There's any good on line store you folks get your supplys from?

thanks again,
C.

RickDTM
09-08-2005, 12:35 PM
For Aves - Aves Apoxie (http://www.avesstudio.com/)

For ComArt and Golden Paints - Dixie Art (http://www.dixieart.com/)

Duplicolor Primer - Any Autozone

Happy Hunting!

cap70
09-08-2005, 12:57 PM
Thanks mcuh, Rick. Do I get Apoxie "Sculpt", right? There's the Apoxie Clay and Apoxie Paste also

RickDTM
09-08-2005, 01:09 PM
Cap - The sculpt will work for anything you do. The Clay will too, it's just a little firmer than the sculpt. I use them both, and they're great!

The paste is sort of like a thick two part epoxy adhesive. I love that stuff! Stays put, and when dry can be sanded and filed.

Also, no matter which one you choose (sculpt, clay or paste) get some of their Safety Solvent. Works wonders when you're trying to get a nice smooth edge. If you're careful, you can work an edge to where you may not need to sand it smooth!

cap70
09-08-2005, 01:40 PM
Thanks, Rick! :)
I will need to remove the seams where Yoda's body and arm's join, so I would need to "sculpt" a little the Aves to give it the same cape texture, so it can blend well with Yoda's cape . Do I still need to sand it?

thxs for all the great help

RickDTM
09-08-2005, 01:44 PM
Not it you're careful. Easiest way to replicate the texture would be to make a "stamp". Take a little Aves Clay or Sculpt, mix it, and let it sit for about an hour and 1/2. Less if you live in a warm climate. Once the putty has set a bit, wet an area of the texture you want to copy, and then press the putty on top for a couple of seconds. Pull the putty straight up, and you should have a perfect copy of the texture. If not, just repeat until you get it right. Set the putty aside to fully cure.

When you're ready to redo the texture you removed, simply add a little Aves to the area, wet the stamp, then press it into the putty. You should have replicated the exact texture you removed, meaning you should not have to do any sanding! :D

cap70
09-08-2005, 01:59 PM
No sanding, good! :)

Thanks much, Rick! I will order it today. Very excited to start this small project! :buttrock: