PDA

View Full Version : Which Darth Vader?

Apocalypse
09-07-2005, 03:17 PM
I've recently picked up a Boba Fett Koto statue, and for the price I'm really impressed with it. I now fancy picking up the Kotor Vader, but wondered is it worth spending a little more cash and picking up the Gentle Giant Vader Statue instead. Which is the better statue, and is there much difference in the way of detail and presentation?

Thanks for any help :)

Gruson
09-07-2005, 03:19 PM
I would stay with Koto, especially since you have Fett already.

Jamesways
09-07-2005, 03:45 PM
Well, the Koto vader is cheaper, and a very nice piece. It's based on the older vader from the OT. The GG is based mostly on the new vader, PT. The GG one is a great piece too *looks around*. The detail is very well done too. But the scale is a bit different than the Kotos, it's a bit bigger, which is fine, since vader is huge, but the scale difference might be noticeable when comparing their hands.
Personal preference I guess, both of them are in dramatic poses. I had both. With the Koto, I propped up the back of the base, so it looked like he was coming down a ramp, rather than donig the limbo.

SpenK
09-07-2005, 03:49 PM
I've recently picked up a Boba Fett Koto statue, and for the price I'm really impressed with it. I now fancy picking up the Kotor Vader, but wondered is it worth spending a little more cash and picking up the Gentle Giant Vader Statue instead. Which is the better statue, and is there much difference in the way of detail and presentation?

I have Both the Koto (Still in Box) and GG.......Remember the koto is made from Vinyl And the GG one id Polystone so its your choice...........the koto price is around about $80 and the GG about $150 there are also the Attakus Vader 1 $1500+ or Vader 2 $600+ Or the sideshow Vader $300 etc........your choice a lot of options............ :)

cap70
09-07-2005, 03:55 PM
Get them all! :eplus2:

Excellent advices. I have both and agree with James and Gruson. If you get the Koto, get their first Vader. It looks much better and "accurate" than the second one, IMO.

elwood49
09-07-2005, 03:57 PM
The GG one is a great piece too *looks around*.
:laugh: We need a Hall of Fame where we can put threads like that one from earlier today.

cap70
09-07-2005, 03:58 PM
:laugh: We need a Hall of Fame where we can put threads like that one from earlier today.

:laugh: Excellent idea!! :thumbs2:

Gianco
09-08-2005, 07:32 AM
Koto 1 looks like "Vader Begins" :laugh: Looks like it's trying to fly or was in a Pret-a-Porte Fashion parade! :laugh: Anyway looks better than Vader 2 IMO, plus Vader 2 is supposed to be set with Dark Side Anakin from Ep III and that is one of the worst Kotos I've ever seen! IMO again!

Jamesways
09-08-2005, 07:56 AM
Koto 1 looks like "Vader Begins" :laugh: Looks like it's trying to fly or was in a Pret-a-Porte Fashion parade! :laugh: Anyway looks better than Vader 2 IMO, plus Vader 2 is supposed to be set with Dark Side Anakin from Ep III and that is one of the worst Kotos I've ever seen! IMO again!

Yah, I know you are talking about Anakin, but I was really disappointed by Vader 2. The promo pics looked great, and then I saw the released version. Man, that looks terrible. Nice short helmet, again with the leaning back, just plain not good. :mad:

speedracer
09-12-2005, 10:07 AM
I would go with GG and SS definitely..but if i were made to chose...SS always wins..=)..IMHO

Guts
09-12-2005, 12:17 PM
I prefer the original Kotobukiya Vader myself. Can't go wrong with that one. :)

Pitbull
09-23-2005, 08:30 AM
For me vinyl material statues feels a little bit cheap and easy. Polystone ones are showing themselves much more awe-inspiring or powerful. I hope i choose correct words. Sorry for my poor English. :puke2:

I have GG Vader and i do not have ever a chance to buy a Koto. But i will, because i read so much good things about them in this forum! Thanks to read me.

Doc Sonic
09-23-2005, 05:53 PM
Sorry for my poor English.

No problem, Brother. Welcome aboard !

Pitbull
09-25-2005, 05:30 PM
No problem, Brother. Welcome aboard !

Thank you very much :)

Sniper
09-25-2005, 07:40 PM
BOWEN BRONZE VADER AP !!!The Best Vader Ever!!!!!!!!!!

nexus
09-25-2005, 09:15 PM
We have both. the Koto is nice, but the GG is bigger and heavier. IMO once the resin version comes out, you can usually put away the vinyl.

comicfan
09-25-2005, 10:03 PM
BOWEN BRONZE VADER AP !!!The Best Vader Ever!!!!!!!!!!

...never like this vader...looks very off...

jlcmsu
09-25-2005, 10:36 PM

I have owned the Vader 1 from Koto and currently own the GG Vader. I would go with the GG Vader statue. The pose is better and the overall look is better with GG. The Koto is very nice for what it is but if your more of a statue person then GG is the way to go.

Gianco
09-25-2005, 11:23 PM
I would like to see some pics and comments of Koto's Vader 2? Somebody? :)

jlcmsu
09-25-2005, 11:27 PM
I can tell you what I thought of it from what I saw at SDCC. It was nice I did like the base on it more than the Vader 1 for sure and overall probably like the pose better as well. The detailing looked very nice on it up close.

Sniper
09-25-2005, 11:28 PM
...never like this vader...looks very off...
to each his own, you have to see it in person pics dont do the statue justice

comicfan
09-25-2005, 11:31 PM
to each his own, you have to see it in person pics dont do the statue justice

....I saw it...looks very off.....his shoulders..helmet...everything looks bad...

comicfan
09-25-2005, 11:32 PM

..it's not good as the first...helmet too short on sides.. and pose not too good...

mrcrolley
09-25-2005, 11:39 PM
Depends on the $$$ you want to spend. If your picking between the 2 koto go with vader 1. Lots of options out now for putting a vader in a collection all depends if you want to stick with one company. Koto is some good stuff for what you pay the likenesses on the humans are just as bad as Attakus but for a fraction of the price.

galactus
09-25-2005, 11:44 PM

I passed on the Vader 1 and got the Vader 2 because I thought it looked better. The first one's chest seemed to be pushed in too much (like Bowens Juggernaut bust), and as mentioned earlier in this thread, he almost looked like he was dancing or sliding. The second piece seems to be a little more menacing in its pose.

RodLonghi
09-29-2005, 12:50 PM
IMO you should sell your Koto Boba, the GG version is coming next year, and pick the GG Vader. I 've owned some Koto pieces: Vader 1, Obi Wan and Jango Fett and didn't like the plastic feel on it. I was specially disappointed with Obi Wan, my statue couldn't stand straight, it was too heavy on one of the sides. The Jango was very nice, I think the vinyl have gone well with the armour, it just doesn't look very good for cloth.

officer dangle
09-29-2005, 04:16 PM
It took me about a week, but the new Koto Vader has really grown on me. The cape is still a little too billowy for my tastes, but I like everything else. I don't understand the criticism about the helmet or the shoulder armor. The rim of the helmet lines up exactly with the bottom edge of the mouth grate, just like in the original trilogy. And the shoulders - at least on mine - are jet black. I think the silvery tint in some of the photos had to do with lighting. All in all, I am pleased with this purchase.

Just to weight in, I also don't understand the comparisons between Koto and the higher end stuff like GG and Attakus. It's all a matter of price and budget. For what they are - vinyl, $90 statues - Kotos are an outstanding value for collectors like myself who do not have the desire or the budget to delve into more expensive realms. Obviously, a $300 cold cast statue is going to be superior in quality. That's a no brainer. But it's like cars. Some cost $15,000 and others go for $100,000. It's all what you're willing to pay for.