PDA

View Full Version : How to display your 1/3 scales?

stevebed
12-30-2015, 04:02 PM
im collecting all of the Batman Arkham 1/3 (they look amazing .. thank you Prime 1) but im unsure of the best way too display them ... they are far too good (and expensive) to put on the floor but too big for bestas .. anyone have any display ideas/pics on how you display yours? .. thanks in advance

SuperJ300
12-30-2015, 04:09 PM
If you are getting a lot then Pax IKEA wardrobe will be next best thing.

I'm planning on getting one or two P1 statues and place them on top of my Bestas.

But no one has a large range of 1/3 scale statue yet, will have to wait and see how collectors will display them.

supermetroid
12-30-2015, 04:15 PM
Probably custom built, and you're going to need some huge shelves for Bane and Killer Croc(possibly Grundy) lol.

The PAX shelves will hold a lot but I'd probably reinforce the shelves if you went that route.

COI
12-30-2015, 06:19 PM
It'll be interesting to see how people display these things once a few are in-hand. I have no idea right now, myself.

Remember Me?
12-30-2015, 06:24 PM
I have no idea either. I might just build shelves on the wall to display them. Hopefully the statues are not very heavy.

RadAsGhoul
12-30-2015, 06:25 PM
I'm already scouting possible places around EU that could make proper but cheaper displays for my 3 girls from The Witcher Line. Have a friend who is a carpenter, contemplating whether I should go with plexiglass or glass... And then, there's the matter of lighting. Anyway, it'll be either 3 podium style displays or 1 wider, able to hold 3-4 statues. Any ideas, projects, contacts in EU or the rest of the world, prices, details, etc - let's share it here guys, good idea. I'll keep you posted when I gather some more info.

pacino
12-31-2015, 12:38 AM
I have 3 on po and I'll go the custom route once I have them in hand.

Eviler
12-31-2015, 03:10 AM
The Arkham Knight Batman will be my first 1/3 statue too. I'd like to get a few more down the road if money permits (Ra's Al Ghul, Croc, Bane).
I'm probably going to go with a Pillar for each. I have the idea of embedding the (awesome) Batman symbol lamp on each one of them. For the case, I'm probably going with plexiglass (gotto have this baby protected).

Viper245
12-31-2015, 12:33 PM
I'll probably display mine on low standing pedestals. I'd love to completely enclose them but that would cost quite a bit of cash to properly do it considering their size and weight.

HBK83
12-31-2015, 01:00 PM
If you are getting a lot then Pax IKEA wardrobe will be next best thing.

I'm planning on getting one or two P1 statues and place them on top of my Bestas.

But no one has a large range of 1/3 scale statue yet, will have to wait and see how collectors will display them.

This... On top of my bestas. If your collecting a whole line of 1/3 then probably best to go custom or the pax.
There are several diy videos on YouTube if you want to go Custom.

MrJones
12-31-2015, 01:46 PM
What I think you should do is get some rather beat up looking metal shelving that you would find in a garage and wedge some tissues in it. Also put a drop sheet over the statues close to the floor in case of spills/vomit/urine. I saw someone else display big statues like that on here... looks AMAZING.

decoyoctopus10
12-31-2015, 04:53 PM
What I think you should do is get some rather beat up looking metal shelving that you would find in a garage and wedge some tissues in it. Also put a drop sheet over the statues close to the floor in case of spills/vomit/urine. I saw someone else display big statues like that on here... looks AMAZING.

:iagree:

Falkor
12-31-2015, 04:55 PM
I would love to see those pics!!!

decoyoctopus10
12-31-2015, 04:56 PM

Wait, do you have a picture for visual reference? I wanna see this vision of yours.

stevebed
12-31-2015, 05:06 PM
I would love to see those pics!!!

me too .. sounds intriguing

strife87
12-31-2015, 05:38 PM
he's talking about comicbookguys collection, the pic was over in one of the sideshow threads not too long ago may have been the goodbye sideshow thread?

strife87
12-31-2015, 05:45 PM
page 30 of the goodbye sideshow thread is the pic guys

decoyoctopus10
12-31-2015, 06:07 PM
he's talking about comicbookguys collection, the pic was over in one of the sideshow threads not too long ago may have been the goodbye sideshow thread?

:ignore: :ignore: :ignore:

I need to see this.

Falkor
12-31-2015, 06:13 PM
Just saw the pics. What an awesome display! This should be the way Sideshow and Prime 1 display their products at the next SDCC.

strife87
12-31-2015, 06:26 PM
:ignore: :ignore: :ignore:

I need to see this.

Here ya go

decoyoctopus10
12-31-2015, 07:18 PM
Do we have more angles??

Falkor
12-31-2015, 07:43 PM
Luckily I already have a Whole Foods bag to use at the base!

Morgul Steve
12-31-2015, 07:49 PM
I love the way he has the statues in the back sitting on an old cardboard box.

strife87
12-31-2015, 08:10 PM
Lol, Now this thread looks like the five pages surrounding these pics in the other thread.

I'm not sure if there are more angles, this is all that was posted in the other thread, but maybe cbg will be kind enough to share some more pics of his unique setup with us, as I've read he's moving and setting up as he goes.

supermetroid
12-31-2015, 08:15 PM
Theres' some pics of XM Magneto or SS Galactus(maybe? something expensive) sitting on it's cardboard box on the floor. lol I think it has tissue on it too

majestic1
12-31-2015, 08:26 PM
im collecting all of the Batman Arkham 1/3 (they look amazing .. thank you Prime 1) but im unsure of the best way too display them ... they are far too good (and expensive) to put on the floor but too big for bestas .. anyone have any display ideas/pics on how you display yours? .. thanks in advance

I don't known about Prime1's boxes but I know that the Cinemaquette and Elite Creature Collectibles boxes are so nice that I've seen a few collectors actually using the box itself as the display stand.

Odank
01-02-2016, 01:39 PM
Finding it a bit ridiculous reading this thread and laughing... Bigger statues need the best support (custom), a larger space to properly display (dedicated display room or mansion) and just plain more cash in general. Will never be able to justify the amount of money all this costs just for this scale of statue collecting... Time to drop this and start collecting for that house and support shelving unit.

MrJones
01-04-2016, 12:24 PM
Sorry about derailing the thread earlier... was feeling a little sarcastic. In all honesty I'm not too sure how best to display 1/3 scale statues without spending some serious dough on custom displays or podiums. I have all of my 1/4 scales and SS Galactus Maquette on top of solid book shelves. Sturdy but not the cleanest display. Just temporary though.

decoyoctopus10
01-04-2016, 02:02 PM
Personally, I don't think the PAX units are secure enough to hold these pieces although the size is literally perfect.

Vince
01-05-2016, 03:19 AM
I have the lower Stuva's (128cm) and put them on top, below I display 1/4th scale statues.

http://i65.tinypic.com/nn1ax4.jpg

candyrocket786
01-05-2016, 11:36 AM
I'll probably go the custom pedestal route. I'm not putting a $900+ statue on a cardboard box.

Right now I'm looking at eBay. This seller can produce custom pedestals based on your dimensions (you need to contact him)

I might go with a 15"x15"x36" pedestal for the Arkham pieces. Although I'm thinking about dropping the height down to 32" since they are so tall.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272038910792

Hi,

Pedestals made to end user spec's is a large part of our business, so the measurements you've requested are something we'll be happy to do. They're available in various materials, those being plastic laminate, paint grade and real wood veneers with a black lacquer finish. The three laminate are matte, gloss and a pattern that's has fine vertical liner lines. Paint grade has a clear topcoat that's available in matte, satin or high gloss. Let me know which of these works for you and your zip code for shipping and I'll get you some prices. Production time runs about two weeks. Thank you for your interest. Mark.

- simple_display

Morgul Steve
01-05-2016, 12:31 PM
Check these out

http://pedestalexpress.com/collections/pedestals/products/36-inch-pedestal-black

15.5 inch top and can support up to 500 lbs.

Patriot666
01-07-2016, 09:58 PM
This is how I used to have mine setup in my Pax before I added acrylic doors.

http://i1311.photobucket.com/albums/s676/alex42884/DSCN1672_zps60d7d435.jpg (http://s1311.photobucket.com/user/alex42884/media/DSCN1672_zps60d7d435.jpg.html)

http://i1311.photobucket.com/albums/s676/alex42884/DSCN1676_zps22af528e.jpg (http://s1311.photobucket.com/user/alex42884/media/DSCN1676_zps22af528e.jpg.html)

decoyoctopus10
01-08-2016, 01:26 AM
This is how I used to have mine setup in my Pax before I added acrylic doors.

http://i1311.photobucket.com/albums/s676/alex42884/DSCN1672_zps60d7d435.jpg (http://s1311.photobucket.com/user/alex42884/media/DSCN1672_zps60d7d435.jpg.html)

http://i1311.photobucket.com/albums/s676/alex42884/DSCN1676_zps22af528e.jpg (http://s1311.photobucket.com/user/alex42884/media/DSCN1676_zps22af528e.jpg.html)

Wow man, awesome. Any current pics

Patriot666
01-08-2016, 09:18 PM
Wow man, awesome. Any current pics

Thanks. I sold off most of my statues. I don't own the CM's anymore. Here's my collection thread over on SSF: http://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/show-your-shelves-/126051-patriot666s-collection.html

Here's an example of how the Pax look with doors though...for the sake of the OP's original question.

http://i1311.photobucket.com/albums/s676/alex42884/DSCN2106_zpsrai3jfcg.jpg (http://s1311.photobucket.com/user/alex42884/media/DSCN2106_zpsrai3jfcg.jpg.html)

strife87
01-08-2016, 09:31 PM
That looks really sharp

Chad Man
01-08-2016, 11:54 PM
I am going to get a few besta's and put them on top . Then Acrylic cases over them.

El Diablo
01-09-2016, 06:06 AM
I don't known about Prime1's boxes but I know that the Cinemaquette and Elite Creature Collectibles boxes are so nice that I've seen a few collectors actually using the box itself as the display stand.

That's what I do with my cm's, the boxes are perfect. They have great artwork with the name of the film or character on them and they are ultra sturdy (I could sit on the predator box no problem without it collapsing) plus it solves the problem of having to store the boxes. They look better than any custom display I've seen.

Stanley
01-22-2016, 05:48 AM
Here you have my place for AK Batman and AK arkham knight =)

nearmint
01-24-2016, 12:47 AM
Check these out

http://pedestalexpress.com/collections/pedestals/products/36-inch-pedestal-black

15.5 inch top and can support up to 500 lbs.

I like the look and the price, but would 15.5 inches be big enough for some of these pieces?

actionjackson83
01-24-2016, 12:52 AM
i am afraid of pedestals being knocked over during an earthquake lol...

Blasterkid
01-24-2016, 02:03 AM
Here you have my place for AK Batman and AK arkham knight =)

I am going for something VERY similar to this.

using 2 shelves similar to these but one of each side of my drafting table. They are I think the "billy" shelves (black though for me) but have a glass door on the bottom area I keep art supplies....I am getting the Arkham Knight, Arkham Knight and waiting to see which Batman I might go with.

I'll snap pics and for sure make a video when the AK/AK shows up.

Stanley
01-24-2016, 03:30 PM
I am going for something VERY similar to this.

using 2 shelves similar to these but one of each side of my drafting table. They are I think the "billy" shelves (black though for me) but have a glass door on the bottom area I keep art supplies....I am getting the Arkham Knight, Arkham Knight and waiting to see which Batman I might go with.

I'll snap pics and for sure make a video when the AK/AK shows up.

Ikea Billy isn't that good for this sizes I think, it's only 11 inches deep! The ones I have is called stuva and is 23 inches deep. Besta works too, 19 inches deep :)

Odank
01-24-2016, 11:17 PM
One would think that people investing this much money on expensive 1/3 and 1/4 scales would be looking toward custom and third-paty instead of Ikea... But it's just my opinion. Ikea, really? It's great for regular furniture and modular this and that but for a high-end collection? I mean, yeah...

testsubject25
01-25-2016, 12:29 AM
One would think that people investing this much money on expensive 1/3 and 1/4 scales would be looking toward custom and third-paty instead of Ikea... But it's just my opinion. Ikea, really? It's great for regular furniture and modular this and that but for a high-end collection? I mean, yeah...

I've seen collections look absolutely killer with IKEA setups when they use the proper lights, glass doors, etc.

The problem is that everybody's looks pretty much the same. I'm really going to try and think of different ways to do these. I'm pouring the lion's share of my collectibles funds into 1/3, and I really want it to look unique. Hopefully, I figure out something cool and different.

Blasterkid
01-25-2016, 02:48 AM
I am only getting a few statues so it's just a place marker until I can get something nicer...I have limited space in my studio which is where I'd display these....I might rotate say 3- 5 larger pieces in and out and then have another 3 or 4 smaller pieces I'd do the same.

Work in progress for sure...and a limited budget.

Arkham Knight is coming soon. I am pretty excited!

Stanley
01-25-2016, 03:37 AM

I understand you completely! Custom is always better and sturdier.

I will make my own statue-room when I buy me a house in the near future(say one year away). So this that I have now will suit my needs for the time being =)

zuko3984
01-25-2016, 01:21 PM

I think Ikea stuff can look great if set up right. Custom and third-party displays can get very expensive, a lot of the time they can cost more then the stuff being displayed. Ikea has a lot of options and there are also tons of ways to customize them. I've seen lots of tips and guides on how to do lots of stuff with Ikea to make it really nice without costing tons of money that i would rather put to the actual stuff i collect.

strife87
01-25-2016, 04:08 PM
I think Ikea stuff can look great if set up right. Custom and third-party displays can get very expensive, a lot of the time they can cost more then the stuff being displayed. Ikea has a lot of options and there are also tons of ways to customize them. I've seen lots of tips and guides on how to do lots of stuff with Ikea to make it really nice without costing tons of money that i would rather put to the actual stuff i collect.

same here, the ikea looks nice and its sturdy, my budget only allows so much, just too costly for me to buy custom cases that can get very expensive fast, I'd rather put that into my collection pieces right now.

Eviler
01-25-2016, 05:04 PM
Anyone here using Ikea's METOD system? It's originally for kitchens, but it seems to be the right size and depth to display Prime 1's Arkham collection. I'd choose BESTA, but I'm bummed there are not tall, borderless doors ...

corydrysdale
01-26-2016, 07:27 PM
He's using MDF...its like 25 bucks a 4x8 sheet. dudes making money on this. question is, how much for shipping. This applies to the guy on ebay selling that red pedalstal. Not worth 175.00

I just made two 7.5 foot tall display cases from 3/4 oak plywood. Each adjustable shelf (2 per display case) are 22 inches wide by 22 inches deep. My current setup allows for 27 inches of room in each section. I can raise or lower each shelf to add/subtrack 8 inches of height. Built these with 1/3 scale in mind, but i have 12 1/4 scale SS premium formats that are still in their boxes waiting to be displayed.
Got the stain yesterday, but got shocked when i tried to get glass cut for each level. 1/4 inch tempered would be 27 inches tall, by 21 13/16 wide. needed 6 pieces ...quoted 260 dollars..and another 80 bucks for the hardware to mount it.

All told, about $520 dollars for 2 custom made display cases. And or, $260 a piece

Patriot666
02-21-2016, 09:42 PM
The alternatives to Ikea, at least what I found here in the US, were ridiculously more expensive than the Pax solution. I couldn't justify thousands of dollars on shelves...statues yes...but not shelves. I'm really glad I went with modified Ikea stuff now as I have sold off most of my statues and I won't lose too much $ if I end up getting rid of a cabinet. Building your own like corydrysdale said makes sense, but I didn't have the tools to do that at the time, still don't TBO.

Planeswalker
02-21-2016, 11:33 PM
I hate some of the IKEA stuff... Does some of it look sharp? Yes, A lot of you have very nice displays by utilizing the ikea stuff. I just personally hate the way some of their cube boxes have one angle to view your piece, which is from the front. Because your pieces are all set up in little cubes stacked on top of one another. I prefer a case that has multiple glass sides like a display case/ cabinet or even the pedestal option. I would especially prefer a pedistal to cube when it comes to 1/3 scale pieces so you truly can appreciate it from all angles. But if you must go with cubes, I recommend a mirror back to them. :cool:

I'm baffled at how some people spend so much money on their collection then have it displayed in the cheapest of shelving units.

nearmint
02-21-2016, 11:44 PM
I have Batman: Noel and Harley on preoder. Thinking of putting them on top of this bookcase when they arrive...

http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j321/nearmint1/C37F1860-9B30-4713-B8D0-57BE4FE35EA5_zpsv4osz2da.jpg

SONICobra
02-22-2016, 12:13 AM
ill be honest, as someone who has accidently knocked over a batman pf by brushing it while walking by that display would make me very nervous

SONICobra
02-22-2016, 12:16 AM
I'm baffled at how some people spend so much money on their collection then have it displayed in the cheapest of shelving units.

while I completely agree I think some of these ikea units offer a very nice solution without costing a tremendous amount of money. I have decided to bite the bullet and go the custom route when I move next year but a besta / pax unit can make for a really clean and classy display when done right and they don't cost an arm and a leg

pedestals are similar, ive seen some collections that utilize them and they look incredible and ive seen some that are just the opposite. as far as mirrors go I will personally never like them, I think theyre distracting, make for a busy display and remind me of tacky mirrors people put on ceilings lol

strife87
02-22-2016, 12:20 AM
I'd enjoy an open display, I just don't want the risk involved. accidents, bumping, kids, pets, dusting, etc, for me personally the Ikea cabinets do a nice job and I easily avoid accidents. With the prices paid for some of these pieces, I feel better with a bit of protection to go with the display.

Patriot666
02-22-2016, 10:51 PM
I hate some of the IKEA stuff... Does some of it look sharp? Yes, A lot of you have very nice displays by utilizing the ikea stuff. I just personally hate the way some of their cube boxes have one angle to view your piece, which is from the front. Because your pieces are all set up in little cubes stacked on top of one another. I prefer a case that has multiple glass sides like a display case/ cabinet or even the pedestal option. I would especially prefer a pedistal to cube when it comes to 1/3 scale pieces so you truly can appreciate it from all angles. But if you must go with cubes, I recommend a mirror back to them. :cool:

Sounds awesome. I'd love to see pictures of your collection.

nearmint
02-22-2016, 11:30 PM
I'd enjoy an open display, I just don't want the risk involved. accidents, bumping, kids, pets, dusting, etc, for me personally the Ikea cabinets do a nice job and I easily avoid accidents. With the prices paid for some of these pieces, I feel better with a bit of protection to go with the display.

To me, it's worth the risk to have my statues visible from multiple angles.

Guilty
02-22-2016, 11:39 PM
I personally think that large statues will look the best on pedestals.

You have the options of full viewing angles, casing, and more room for decoration. This setup would likely work best for those who choose not to buy many collectibles (or have large/minimalist rooms).

strife87
02-23-2016, 12:00 AM
To me, it's worth the risk to have my statues visible from multiple angles.

That's fair, everyone has different tastes, they look great and I don't have an issue doing that with a 400-500 piece, but when it comes to pieces worth a thousand or more that are harder to come by, I'd prefer a bit more protection personally. And I don't want to dust them :).

MagnumOpus
02-23-2016, 12:03 PM
http://i.imgur.com/vV7E69e.png

stevebed
02-23-2016, 12:27 PM
^^ beautiful

candyrocket786
02-23-2016, 12:28 PM
Looks good. Almost based off a BESTA.

Planeswalker
02-23-2016, 07:06 PM
http://i.imgur.com/vV7E69e.png

That looks great! Did you design it? Where's the Superman version?

strife87
02-23-2016, 07:37 PM
That's really slick, I love the look of it!

Wurmtongue
02-24-2016, 10:07 AM
I'm really glad I saw this page. I have been looking around for display cases for my Prime 1 Transformers. Most of the cases I've seen online aren't wide enough for the base. I have seen many cases on craigslist being sold from depatment stores, for a fraction of the cost of those from ikea. I did consider ikea, but I want to see it from all angles unlike the cubes of the besta. Yesterday a post on Prime 1 facebook site showed a very nice two tier all glass display. Very nice , even had a lock on the door. But what got me was it cost 1500 euros, that like what...$1978.00! I could buy another Prime 1. Gotta be other alternatives...

FastballSpecial
08-13-2017, 04:16 PM
Anyone use Besta's to display their P1 pieces? The ones that aren't too deep that is.

pinecone316
08-13-2017, 10:07 PM
Anyone here have any experience ordering from PerfectCases for their 1/3 scale? I looked and they did custom orders, but from their other pricing, I assume it might not cost that much. It also looks pleasing to me.

If anyone here has ordered before from them, please share a review about it.