PDA

View Full Version : Statue Costs and Your Spouse

Hanky Panky
05-19-2017, 11:33 AM
In light of recent discussions with pricing points, I was curious about the married folks here.

How many of you lie to your wife or husband about the cost of a statue you just purchased, in order to justify your collectible habits? How many of you have spouses who are cool with it?

Agoniste
05-19-2017, 11:41 AM
In fact, I have to hide some of my purchases until they show up at our doorsteps... My girlfriend does not warrant the expenses I make for my statues..she says I have too many...but I can't / won't stop :drooling:

Raas Kaaz
05-19-2017, 11:41 AM
My wife knows exactly how much those statues are..

.. im just a very hard working husband and she let me have it .. as long she gets once in a while something nice as well :)

Josh-a-tron
05-19-2017, 11:44 AM
I'm so glad I don't have this problem :laugh:

GaryTonge
05-19-2017, 11:49 AM
My wife knows. I tell her just in case I die and she can try to get something from them. ;)

I keep an Excell spreadsheet for everything I spend on them.

I have a separate income stream for my own personal spending so it doesn't matter to her one way or the another.

testsubject25
05-19-2017, 11:55 AM
lol, she knows, she doesn't care.
She gets her crap, I get my crap, everybody is happy and everybody wins! :D

cratercritter
05-19-2017, 11:58 AM
Some people live with their partner. Don't have to be married to them.

ComicJesus
05-19-2017, 12:16 PM
My wife knows I spend a lot, just not how much. She is supportive, and all the important bills get paid first, and whatever is left gets spent. She knows that.

Barbarian
05-19-2017, 12:25 PM
The way it should be. Everyone gets crap. Preach it, Testy. Testify! :buttrock:

sparda
05-19-2017, 12:25 PM
Some she knows the pricepoint of, others I tend to alter a bit in price point. I just bought the P1 Darkseid though and I'm not sure if she saw the price, so now I'm doubting to be honest about it or not when (not if) she asks about it... :p

Ryanbusts
05-19-2017, 12:29 PM
She knows nothing.

sparda
05-19-2017, 12:31 PM
She knows nothing.

Statues? What statues? :flash:

Dreamland
05-19-2017, 12:40 PM
My wife likes my statues and even supports the habit, which is just as bad! LOL :P

She collects harry potter stuff and loves horror movies so we get along in our collecting habits.

sith_apprentice
05-19-2017, 12:43 PM
I try to time it so that the boxes will be there on days that I'm home before her, but it doesn't always work out. She knows that I don't tell her the truth about the prices, so she doesn't ask. We kept our individual accounts when we got married, which seems to work well.

WalkerFodder
05-19-2017, 01:06 PM
I don't lie but sometimes I wait until the day before or day of arrival. Try to remind her about the value and idea that they can just be re-sold for retail or sometimes more.

Just don't let her hit you with the "value of jewelry" argument. My only rebuttal is that I know an entire community that would buy my stuff for retail or appreciated values. We couldn't easily sling jewelry without researching that entire industry and their various avenues of resale.

WalkerFodder
05-19-2017, 01:09 PM
I should also add that we work long days and neither one of us tells one another what to do with our money. We save for retirement and rainy days, but we're also aware that we can't take money with us when we bite the dust (Girlfriend of 3 1/2 years).

When engagement ring conversations start to become prominent, clearly there will be a large gap in my collecting.

testsubject25
05-19-2017, 01:11 PM
The way it should be. Everyone gets crap. Preach it, Testy. Testify! :buttrock:

http://media3.giphy.com/media/3oD3YJVnCAtIY050ha/giphy.gif

aa909
05-19-2017, 01:51 PM

^^^^This LOL!!

bigdaddyvenom
05-19-2017, 01:54 PM
Always be honest....it can come back and bite you in the a$$. My collection was mostly Bowen...she could handle that because the price for each piece was not that high....since they are no longer in business, I have turned my attention to Sideshow and Prime 1 mostly, with other companies sprinkled in between....hard to hide the prices on the 1/4 size statues these days.....I just buy less.....running out of room anyways.

Y3E
05-19-2017, 02:25 PM
I'm the king of the castle so it doesn't matter how much the statues cost or whether my wife knows the cost...well, that's what I keep telling myself :D

risingstar
05-19-2017, 02:29 PM
My hobby has never been a financial concern for the wiser half. However, I have had to remain conscious of the space, including boxes, they take.

BurningRage
05-19-2017, 02:30 PM
This pf was $20 :thinking: Yeah that should work :stick:

SONICobra
05-19-2017, 02:42 PM
if i was married i would tell her the truth, that sh_t always catches up with you sooner or later. the only people i lie to when asked how much these things cost are my parents, i just dont want a lecture on how i could better spend my money... as far as they know they all cost "around $400-500" lol #$1200thanos :sos:

nbr3bagshotrow
05-19-2017, 02:44 PM
Bunch of people I wouldn't want to buy from. Dishonest with the wife? I'm sure it doesn't stop there.

ZenLogikos
05-19-2017, 03:01 PM
if i was married i would tell her the truth, that sh_t always catches up with you sooner or later. the only people i lie to when asked how much these things cost are my parents, i just dont want a lecture on how i could better spend my money... as far as they know they all cost "around $400-500" lol #$1200thanos :sos:

No significant other. Only one of my brothers knows what I spend, and now he ribs me for it. :laugh:

My parents don't even know about my collection. Would never tell my dad. He's always given it to all of us concerning expenditures. Anything that we value (and he doesn't) is a "rubber asshole" to him. :rolleyes2

captoz
05-19-2017, 03:18 PM

Lol-if you were married you'd know that you just as likely to get that lecture if you don't lie to your spouse! ��

Seriously though, I guess it depends who you marry. I found that my spouse had much less tolerance for this hobby once we had kids.

HeavyMetalSpike
05-19-2017, 03:28 PM
Never been an issue - she's cool with it.

Shaughn54
05-19-2017, 03:29 PM
I tell my wife the costs but I use a reward spending account I get through my work to buy them. She is a little salty i dont use the rewards for other stuff we buy on amazon for the baby and such, but my paycheck covers all the bills for the family and I just use this spending account. Damn pricing is skyrocketing though and my spending account does not fill that fast, so I have had to chill until I build up more. She would never let me use paycheck money to pay for these.

Choopie
05-19-2017, 03:36 PM
My husband knows the prices of these statues. Whenever I get a new piece, I get two questions: how much did it cost, and where are you going to put it? But I support his hobby too, which is military firearms, which are more expensive than statues, although far more utilitarian.

manboy
05-19-2017, 03:36 PM
I told my wife my XM Ghost Rider cost 300 bucks and she thought that was a lot of money but I should treat myself. I am ashamed...

Tbolt
05-19-2017, 03:50 PM
It's not just the spouse as noted. Most people are shocked and not in a good way to learn what these things cost, and, frankly, don't look at you as some type of sane person for spending XYZ on a collection. It's not their thing, and therefor, don't see the value, or even find having such a collection/indulgence childish.

I'm not embarrassed for collecting these things or even reading comics, but don't feel the need to divulge the full details to everyone I encounter either.

Ginormousthumbs
05-19-2017, 03:52 PM
I'm practically a n00b so it's not an issue.
She has her money and I have mine.

Also, it's really nice too see that profile pic, Hanky.
It's been a while.

Demona
05-19-2017, 04:09 PM
Damn, I was really hoping we could see who voted for what :)

My fiancé knows a little bit more about the cost of statues. Since being together, he has purchased the PCS 1:4 She-Ra and the Harley Quin B&W for me as gifts. He was amazed at the cost of She-Ra, and she's on the "cheaper" end of the prices.

However, he has no idea the cost of a XM or SS PF. I cover the costs of those, save in advance, and have no intention of telling him. And since I don't lie about it, it's kinda true. If he asks I would tell him :)

Statues are my splurge (along with shoes). His addiction is board games which seems to be getting just as expensive as statues. A few months ago he backed Kingdom Death: Monster 1.5 on kickstarter for a whopping $750.00.

I should also add that we work long days and neither one of us tells one another what to do with our money. We save for retirement and rainy days, but we're also aware that we can't take money with us when we bite the dust (Girlfriend of 3 1/2 years).

When engagement ring conversations start to become prominent, clearly there will be a large gap in my collecting.

This is a man who's knows where to put the money and doesn't forget the sparkles! Go Team Walker Fodder!

MONSTER
05-19-2017, 04:18 PM
Damn, I was really hoping we could see who voted for what :)

My fiancé knows a little bit more about the cost of statues. Since being together, he has purchased the PCS 1:4 She-Ra and the Harley Quin B&W for me as gifts. He was amazed at the cost of She-Ra, and she's on the "cheaper" end of the prices.

However, he has no idea the cost of a XM or SS PF. I cover the costs of those, save in advance, and have no intention of telling him. And since I don't lie about it, it's kinda true. If he asks I would tell him :)

Statues are my splurge (along with shoes). His addiction is board games which seems to be getting just as expensive as statues. A few months ago he backed Kingdom Death: Monster 1.5 on kickstarter for a whopping $750.00.

This is a man who's knows where to put the money and doesn't forget the sparkles! Go Team Walker Fodder!

Board games?! He's a dork!;)

Kidding. I just wanted to be one of those geeks that judges other geeks hobbies for a second.

MONSTER
05-19-2017, 04:20 PM
Bunch of people I wouldn't want to buy from. Dishonest with the wife? I'm sure it doesn't stop there.

Well to be fair, their wives lie to them when they say "they are going out with the girls" when they are really hooking up with their boyfriend.

It's a wash.;)

SuperJ300
05-19-2017, 04:20 PM
luckly my wife has stopped asking me how much each statue is. The price is a lot more know than two years ago!!lol

Don't think she will be impressed with today price So!

SONICobra
05-19-2017, 04:26 PM
It's not just the spouse as noted. Most people are shocked and not in a good way to learn what these things cost, and, frankly, don't look at you as some type of sane person for spending XYZ on a collection. It's not their thing, and therefor, don't see the value, or even find having such a collection/indulgence childish.

I'm not embarrassed for collecting these things or even reading comics, but don't feel the need to divulge the full details to everyone I encounter either.

exactly, some guy at work told me what he spent on some collector pair of nikes one time and i thought "so this is what it feels like to judge others on what they spend" lol

Barbarian
05-19-2017, 04:27 PM
Kidding. I just wanted to be one of those geeks that judges other geeks hobbies for a second.
Well to be fair, their wives lie to them when they say "they are going out with the girls" when they are really hooking up with their boyfriend.
It's a wash.;)
:laugh::laugh::laugh: Good round, brother.

COI
05-19-2017, 04:35 PM
I love these threads.

Looking forward to 20+ pages of people projecting their personal circumstances onto the world and calling that reality.

Don't disappoint me, Statueforum.

Medusoid
05-19-2017, 05:03 PM
My partner knows how expensive these things are and he doesn't care, so long as he doesn't have to pay for any of them. :p

Vracula
05-19-2017, 05:05 PM
My wife doesn't ask, she knows it's either statues or coke and hookers.

ruzzell
05-19-2017, 05:15 PM
LOL, can we add a column for True Lies: my spouse knows these things are expensive as sh!t but I'm not advertising the cost?

oddlysober
05-19-2017, 05:20 PM
How many times have your spouse/girlfriend lied to you about their vices, only to have you floor the bill when the truth comes out?

ambasah
05-19-2017, 05:32 PM

lol! I want that on my tombstone! : )

COI
05-19-2017, 05:35 PM

Why choose?

Comicbookguy
05-19-2017, 05:39 PM
I have a stuff doll as my wife which is good because she never complains.

The General
05-19-2017, 05:59 PM
Every time a package gets delivered I grab it and take it to my moms house.... Open it to make sure it's ok and then off to storage. All the while chanting "I'm one with divorce, divorce is with me" over and over.

PermaGrin
05-19-2017, 06:02 PM
If you are hiding statues or the purchase of from your significant other...what else you hiding?

captoz
05-19-2017, 06:35 PM
Haha-love this thread.

My wife has her hobby and I have mine. Every time she buys something for the kids, I buy a statue. Both hobbies satisfied!

captoz
05-19-2017, 06:36 PM
If you are hiding statues or the purchase of from your significant other...what else you hiding?

Um...graded comic books. How adventurous do you think we are??

BurningRage
05-19-2017, 06:44 PM

Drugs, girlfriend on the side, illegitimate children

COI
05-19-2017, 06:51 PM
My GF doesn't ask about my statues, and I don't ask why she flies to Dubai one weekend a month. It's a beautiful relationship.

sith_apprentice
05-19-2017, 07:05 PM
She's just happy that my mid-life crisis is re-collecting my 80's and 90's action figures, and buying some new statues and mini-busts along the way (plus some comics and graphic novels), not to mention my katana, tanto and martial arts gear / books addiction. No red convertible and side-bimbo for me. This is much better...

Das Brutah
05-19-2017, 07:20 PM
Truth - But don't offer up info unless specifically asked. That said, the cost and size of these pieces will end up pushing me out of collecting at some point.

Demona
05-19-2017, 09:32 PM
This tread is cracking me up!

Oh he is a super dork, but at least he likes sports and animals too - so he's worth keeping ;)

Vracula
05-19-2017, 09:39 PM
Why choose?

Coz collecting statues is as expensive as coke and hookers without the medical bills.

Y3E
05-19-2017, 09:51 PM

My other wives. Crap, now I forget which wife I am talking about

tormentedbliss
05-19-2017, 10:00 PM
lmao........i just came home today, wife stole my hulk vs wolverine, im filing for divorce, boxed all my others up and put in storage....so sad, considering my daughter loves them as well. At least she didnt destroy them...gasp, the anger a woman can have, at least mine, im a moron, i told her how much they cost, thats why she took it, at least she left KING HULK,

testsubject25
05-19-2017, 10:10 PM
There's so much fear in this thread! :laugh:

Josh-a-tron
05-19-2017, 10:37 PM
There's so much fear in this thread! :laugh:

https://68.media.tumblr.com/ca1aaed2ad5ed37f67a2e7c660f4ea3e/tumblr_nvayz9mX501ug1jt4o1_500.gif

Hellboy
05-19-2017, 10:37 PM
Nice thing about my relationship is she doesn't really ask. Sure I get the occasional raised eyebrow when a new piece comes in and if she really wants to know what it costs I'll be honest and tell her, but I'm not an idiot, I don't volunteer that information. I generally finance new pieces by selling off older collectibles anyways and there are times those profits are used on things for us too, so she can't really complain. Plus I've cut WAY back on collecting. Skyrocketing prices and spotty QC took a lot of the fun out of the hobby for me.

HeavyMetalSpike
05-19-2017, 10:49 PM
. . . Skyrocketing prices and spotty QC took a lot of the fun out of the hobby for me.

As others have said - goes for collectibles AND ladies of the night (apparently) . . .

Thegameman2011
05-19-2017, 10:49 PM
Most people are shocked and not in a good way to learn what these things cost

I agree, my friends who make a considerable amount more than we do are in disbelief as to what these cost. My wife buys some for me so I'm good.

gorocketcat
05-19-2017, 11:20 PM
If you have to lie/hide anything about yourself then you're not free to be you, and have chosen the wrong spouse.

I haven't changed a damn thing about myself. I'm the same person with the same habits I was when single. I found someone who complements my life. Same for her.

Subby1938
05-19-2017, 11:27 PM
I do whatever I want. Therefore the consequences from my actions are all mine as well. Anyone that collects anything or feels need to has OCD anyways. It doesn't stop it just manifests somewhere else. Truely " normal " people can leave these things behind no sweat but we are all different. Girls don't give a ---- about this! Treat them as equals and you'll enjoy your OCD :).

Ulfnar
05-20-2017, 12:40 AM
Every girlfriend I've had has either been neutral or somewhat fascinated by my hobbies. If I ever find one that has similar interests, that will be the one. But seriously, if any of them ---- on my hobbies, ---- them, they just saved me a lot of time finding out they aren't the right one.

manboy
05-20-2017, 12:52 AM
Lol, the judgmental sanctimony is strong in this thread

Vecchio1
05-20-2017, 01:10 AM
What she don't know, won't hurt her. If she notices and asks, I'm truthful. When I make a sale on the bay, I make sure to point it out. As long as I support my family, the extra $ goes to my hobbies.

kingdavidf
05-20-2017, 02:03 AM
I don't volunteer the information, but I tell her if she's asks..she was there when I got thanos so she generally has a rough idea..plus she can easily just go Google these things.

Tbolt
05-20-2017, 02:12 AM
If you have to lie/hide anything about yourself then you're not free to be you, and have chosen the wrong spouse.

I haven't changed a damn thing about myself. I'm the same person with the same habits I was when single. I found someone who complements my life. Same for her.

You do know that more than 50% of all marriages end in divorce, don't you?

Also, people change.

If you are 100% gorocketcat no compromise 100% of the time, what's she? Window dressing?

gorocketcat
05-20-2017, 02:14 AM
Every girlfriend I've had has either been neutral or somewhat fascinated by my hobbies. If I ever find one that has similar interests, that will be the one. But seriously, if any of them ---- on my hobbies, ---- them, they just saved me a lot of time finding out they aren't the right one.

I told mine about all my hobbies and interests on our first date. I'm pretty damn happy with who I am and what I like, and don't have an ounce of shame about any of it - nor is there anything shameful about anything you enjoy doing.

I'm never going to pretend to be something I'm not. If any girl can't accept that then I don't want my life to be with her. Nor would I want any girl to pretend or feel like she has to hide things from me.

I pity people in relationships built on lies and half truths. That's no way to live.

I and I
05-20-2017, 02:23 AM
We collect together so yeah, we both know how much everything is :p

Tbolt
05-20-2017, 02:32 AM
I pity people who think things will never change. I also pity people who don't like the same things I do, have a different political affiliation and who spend time doing things I don't value. So. Much. Pity.

Zombiez
05-20-2017, 02:43 AM
If you have to lie about what you spend your own money on you should reevaluate your life or marriage

manboy
05-20-2017, 02:51 AM
If you have to lie about what you spend your own money on you should reevaluate your life or marriage

Nah, been happily married for a good decade now. Her knowing if a statue cost 500 or 2 thousand hasnt effected us in the least. No evaluation necessary.

gorocketcat
05-20-2017, 04:25 AM
We collect together so yeah, we both know how much everything is :p

Nice. So, do you alternate the monthly flexpay? Would make statues cost half as much!

COI
05-20-2017, 06:13 AM
What you should do is tell your spouse that your existing statues cost double what they actually cost. Then a month later when you get a new piece in the mail, and she angrily asks how much THIS ONE cost, you tell her the real price, which should be roughly half of what she's expecting, and she'll thank you for being more reasonable.

You're welcome.

COI
05-20-2017, 06:20 AM
In all seriousness though, if this is a touchy topic for you, maybe just leave it alone. People will have their opinions and judgments no matter what your circumstances are, so there's no point in getting defensive or judgmental.

BlackestNight
05-20-2017, 08:31 AM
We collect, she will buy the female PF's before I even know they go on sale. And Killer Croc strangely enough, lol , grew up watching too much BTAS.

Once again though this forum greatly focuses on the financing of statues, you would think, at this point, this has to be THE major factor influencing every aspect of a piece for SSC. Must be a thin line to walk for "High end" collectibles.

Josh-a-tron
05-20-2017, 08:35 AM
We collect, she will buy the female PF's before I even know they go on sale. And Killer Croc strangely enough, lol , grew up watching too much BTAS.

Once again though this forum greatly focuses on the financing of statues, you would think, at this point, this has to be THE major factor influencing every aspect of a piece for SSC. Must be a thin line to walk for "High end" collectibles.

No such thing :laugh:

FJC
05-20-2017, 08:58 AM
What you should do is tell your spouse that your existing statues cost double what they actually cost. Then a month later when you get a new piece in the mail, and she angrily asks how much THIS ONE cost, you tell her the real price, which should be roughly half of what she's expecting, and she'll thank you for being more reasonable.

You're welcome.

LOL! About 5 years into our marriage my wife started getting pissed at the amount of packages arriving at our home. So, the conversation went from....oh, that looks cool to how much did THIS ONE cost (every time a new package arrived). It started to get real aggravating so I finally got to the point where I told her I'm not telling her how much they cost anymore (she basically knew already). I told her sign for the packages (she was a stay at home mom) and put them aside. Things have gone smoothly with my collecting since our talk and we've been married 14 years so far and had another wonderful son.

We are very fortunate in life. My wife stayed at home until both of our sons were able to go to school full time. Between my job and my real estate holdings I had no problems covering the bills and supporting my hobby during that time. Also, I'm the type of dude that won't let others in my life tell me what I can and can't do. Everyone close to me already knows this so they either accept that or not. I do have what I think are realistic boundaries. I won't do anything that would put my family in jeopardy. We are pretty well set financially now because of decisions I've made with my money since before we were even married (big thanks to my parents for teaching me about money since I was a kid).

Most of the important people in my life don't get my hobby or the amount of money I spend on it. That's alright because we all spend our money on something. This hobby is fun for me. The day it isn't fun anymore or I feel the costs have become too high and it would jeopardize my family's future, I'll bow out myself. Until then, it's steady as she goes.

risingstar
05-20-2017, 10:02 AM
I will say this, perhaps unrelated, aspect to my purchasing profile. There is a line I will draw with regards to certain female sculpts, e.g., Lady Death, Witchblade, Dawn, and Vampirella and so on. I will also draw the line with sculpts which feature lots of gore and/or violence, e.g., the zombie or COTD pieces. While my partner and kids support my statue hobby which has been wonderful, I also have to recognize that I do not live alone. As we all share the visual space in the house, they do get to have some say in the visuals even if they don't actually say anything, if that makes any sense.

Python
05-20-2017, 10:08 AM

This is a little simplified, for starters, we don't necessarily choose who we fall in love with. Secondly, I'm not happy with myself for paying so much money for this stuff, I don't expect her to be. If I have fudged any numbers, which I have, it isn't because I don't care for her, distrust her or have any negative feeling at all towards her, it is simply out of embarrassment more than anything. See that cool Predator there dear, yeah, that was $2000 (equivalent) You know, it's always going to be a touchy subject.

Anyway, I fear it may have been my little quip in the other thread that started this one off, I do appologise ;) I don't lie to my gf ever as a rule, she often tells me I'm too honest for my own good. However, as hinted at above, when it comes to the prices of statues, I will often round them down, or give the price of the actual item minus the shipping and tax etc (technically that's what she asked ;)) or more usually I'll try to change the subject to avoid giving an honest answer. She does the same thing with her expensive make up, perfume and clothes etc. We've been together 7 years and it works. we're both hard working adults ultimately and I don't mind what she spends her money on, I think the feelings mutual although it's harder to swallow as I tend to buy very expensive items less often as opposed to her spending less, more often. Plus she actually started taking a bit of interest over the last year or so, and sadly for me she figured out that https://www.sideshowtoy.com/ is a thing. And there she can see 95% of my collection along with their prices, so I am somewhat out of luck lol.

I'll straight out lie to anybody else about the costs happily however, again mostly out of embarrassment. And I don't need advice about this not being the hobby for me. I don't smoke, rarely drink and party etc, I've never touched drugs, I'm boring really. While I begrudge paying such staggering amounts for these things, it is my choice to do so ultimately and I justify it by it being my only real indulgence. Other people don't need to know and I appreciate it's hard for others to understand why I'd pay $1k+ for a statue, when I could have so much else instead. Although the skyrocketing prices mean I'm buying much less now sadly. My wages haven't gone up in years, while this stuff has doubled, as have the shipping costs. My days of being coy with the mrs are numbered lol. I'm just happy she lets me have all of this stuff. We just bought a new house, it has plenty of space. I'm having a dedicated room for my stuff, and she's getting a walk in dressing room, we're both happy.

Luminous
05-20-2017, 10:09 AM
I will say this, perhaps unrelated, aspect to my purchasing profile. There is a line I will draw with regards to certain female sculpts, e.g., Lady Death, Witchblade, Dawn, and Vampirella and so on. I will also draw the line with sculpts which feature lots of gore and/or violence, e.g., the zombie or COTD pieces. While my partner and kids support my statue hobby which has been wonderful, I also have to recognize that I do not live alone. As we all share the visual space in the house, they do get to have some say in the visuals even if they don't actually say anything, if that makes any sense.

That makes perfect sense. I abide by a similar set of rules I myself have decided to establish.

testsubject25
05-20-2017, 10:19 AM
I'm with risingstar as well! For me, there's also that element of guests coming over, like my kids' friends' parents. I've got no problem being the dad with the cool statues, but I don't want to be the dad with the half naked women and gory zombie testicles statues. The "well you don't need judgy people in your life" line is all fine and well, but it's not reality and it's not about just me. While there are a few pieces that I'd like to have that are over the top, they're certainly not worth the perception that can be projected. That's just me though!

dechirico7
05-20-2017, 10:24 AM
Single...I get what I want.
Had plenty of boyfriends that rolled their eyes at my statues.
It is ok for them to collect transformers but weird for me to collect statues...

elvirawynter
05-20-2017, 10:28 AM
Thankfully I don't have this problem myself, as we both collect various things and he has a few statues himself as of the last year or so.

testsubject25
05-20-2017, 10:30 AM
Single...

Calm down you thirsty nerds! :laugh:

VS1976
05-20-2017, 11:06 AM
Single...I get what I want.
Had plenty of boyfriends that rolled their eyes at my statues.
It is ok for them to collect transformers but weird for me to collect statues...

I thought u and Northern are an item ;)

gorocketcat
05-20-2017, 11:19 AM
I'm with risingstar as well! For me, there's also that element of guests coming over, like my kids' friends' parents. I've got no problem being the dad with the cool statues, but I don't want to be the dad with the half naked women and gory zombie testicles statues. The "well you don't need judgy people in your life" line is all fine and well, but it's not reality and it's not about just me. While there are a few pieces that I'd like to have that are over the top, they're certainly not worth the perception that can be projected. That's just me though!

Well you don't need judgy people in your life.

The whole gore/sex thing comes down to personal taste, I suppose. If I like a certain piece I have no issues with nudity/sex. Or violence. It's my house. I live in it. Other people don't have to come here.

Most of the half naked women statues actually belong to my better half, oddly enough. She does bikini/physique competitions and they're the trophies she won. The half naked statues I have of Poison Ivy, Red Sonja are actually the ones she likes the best. I really did luck out.

RichBamf
05-20-2017, 11:22 AM
We're completely honest about the money that goes in and out of the house, so she knows.

She rolls her eyes, but she knows.

Atheris
05-20-2017, 11:38 AM
Even if you lied, how can they not know? It's called google...the company name and name of the statue is on the side of the box.

Chris

crimsinwing1989
05-20-2017, 11:40 AM
You could always say you got it off eBay for less.

MrJones
05-20-2017, 11:42 AM
What a great thread. Has it all! Comedy, fear, distrust, an underlying over compensation of "I won't have no ___ be the boss of me!" It's fun!

My situation I have previously mentioned. My wife got me my first statue and started me on this hobby. However since then they've gotten much more pricey. But ever since the beginning I tell her every cent I spend and vice versa. We each buy our own things, she loves the statues too, but I think open communication is pretty key, especially when dealing with finances. We have a shared household income, we don't split bills or anything, so if she were to go out and spend $500 without telling me, that would upset me so I pay the same respect. In fact, when it comes to statues she gets the final say on whether or not it's going to be purchased. I am totally fine with this. The only time it's ever a touchy subject is when I try to explain that my $1000 statue in a year costs less than her $300 purchase 6x a year. I think some sort of logic loop happens in the female brain at that point ;)

VS1976
05-20-2017, 11:44 AM
You could also say you solicited your body for the statue thus being free.

But IMO, I think spouses biggest problem is the amount of boxes you can accumulative over time. She wants them thrown out and you try to explain you can't. Its not amount the $$.

testsubject25
05-20-2017, 11:52 AM
The whole gore/sex thing comes down to personal taste, I suppose. If I like a certain piece I have no issues with nudity/sex. Or violence. It's my house. I live in it. Other people don't have to come here.

Im with ya, and that's all fine and well until you're raising kids in a Midwest suburb. :laugh:

WalkerFodder
05-20-2017, 03:21 PM
The fear is really telling the truth to your girlfriend about the individual values of your pieces and then the inevitable comparison to those values when you buy her jewelry or gifts.

She will undoubtedly find out how much you spent on her jewelry because of course she'll be curious, naturally. Just hope it's more than some of your grails. It would be sad/hilarious if you spent more on yourself than your loving, nerd-worshipping girlfriend..(you don't deserve her).

COI
05-20-2017, 03:42 PM

It is my reality. I honestly don't care. I work insane hours in a stressful environment, so the last thing I'm going to do is let someone's arbitrary opinions weigh in on what I do as a hobby and an outlet. And I've noticed that the less self-conscious I am about my interests, the less people seem to care. Everyone has their interests and quirks. This isn't some edgy "I don't care what anyone thinks" stance, it's me realizing that judging people based on a harmless hobby is irrational, and I'm not gonna let other people's projected insecurities weigh in on my mind. It's not worth it.

That said, I don't have kids, so the sex/violence thing doesn't matter to me. I would definitely have a different take with kids running around.

testsubject25
05-20-2017, 06:04 PM
That said, I don't have kids, so the sex/violence thing doesn't matter to me. I would definitely have a different take with kids running around.

Exactly, if I were in your world, I'd be the same way! Unfortunately, I deal with judgy ass parents that have amazing kids who my kids thrive with and it's a two way street. It's just a by product of the area we live in. To me, it's not worth denying them that just because their parents are a-holes and I want to see some boobs and/or bloody dead carcasses. That's the reality I was referring to, I guess. :laugh:

As soon as they're out of the house and we're not playing this ridiculous suburban BS game, I'll paint the walls in blood and have a boob shaped toaster.

Hellboy
05-20-2017, 06:39 PM
As soon as they're out of the house and we're not playing this ridiculous suburban BS game, I'll paint the walls in blood and have a boob shaped toaster.

Bet you could get this one to fly under the radar. :p

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i26/Hellboy1138/Funny%20pics/IMG_0103.jpg

VaultMan
05-20-2017, 07:01 PM
So my wife knows about the cost of statues - what she DOESN'T know is how often I bought them over the years. I was great at moving those things into the house. LOL

I'm pretty much done with statues at this point - besides the damage is done LOL

testsubject25
05-20-2017, 07:05 PM

:laugh: :goodpost:

Vracula
05-20-2017, 07:36 PM

Mmmm i have strange boner for Toast all of a sudden.

zeus
05-20-2017, 07:43 PM
I spend 600$ on a statue she freaks out.
I spend 600$ on a watch I get compliments.
Guess what she doesn't like!

testsubject25
05-20-2017, 09:27 PM
Mmmm i have strange boner for Toast all of a sudden.

Nothing gets my rocks off like warm whole wheat bread! :laugh:

I and I
05-21-2017, 03:42 AM
Nice. So, do you alternate the monthly flexpay? Would make statues cost half as much!

Why would it make statues cost half as much? Firstly, we're married. Secondly, ever since we started living together (roughly 10 years ago), we've only had one bank account :) we've always shared everything

VS1976
05-21-2017, 03:49 AM
Why would it make statues cost half as much? Firstly, we're married. Secondly, ever since we started living together (roughly 10 years ago), we've only had one bank account :) we've always shared everything

Never have two accounts...:confused2

batman1180
05-21-2017, 03:58 AM
She knows I get stuff, but I usually reduce the price by about 25%. I've also slowed way down in the past few years, so when I occasionally get something it raises less questions then when i was getting a ton of packages all the time.

gorocketcat
05-21-2017, 10:32 AM
Never have two accounts...:confused2

But I've got my money, and she's got hers.

VaultMan
05-21-2017, 10:51 AM
I was like the El Chapo of statue smuggling. I was like the Han Solo of sneaking stuff! Yeah!

That was then. Now I just get it lol

apetrucc
05-21-2017, 10:59 AM
What happens in the statue room stays in the statue room !!!

Issun
05-21-2017, 11:52 AM
I've told her just recently, and well, she isn't lying when she said I have to many expensive hobbies, Magic was getting up there, then building my own PC's started to come in to play. After that VR came out....so yea. I've already been allowed only two statues for next year. :( But she's fine as long as she's in the know.

BurningRage
05-21-2017, 12:10 PM
Basically like the last scene in the Godfather. "Don't ask me about my business."

AlizAbef
05-21-2017, 12:18 PM
I've told her just recently, and well, she isn't lying when she said I have to many expensive hobbies

lol!

"Babe I just need to tell you that I placed another preorder for a statue."
"How many preorders is that now, and how much does this one cost in the end?"
"It's gonna cost $$$$, but don't worry baby, once it's released and sold out, the price will go up. Everything will be cool."

crimsinwing1989
05-21-2017, 12:19 PM
What a great thread. Has it all! Comedy, fear, distrust, an underlying over compensation of "I won't have no ___ be the boss of me!" It's fun!

My situation I have previously mentioned. My wife got me my first statue and started me on this hobby. However since then they've gotten much more pricey. But ever since the beginning I tell her every cent I spend and vice versa. We each buy our own things, she loves the statues too, but I think open communication is pretty key, especially when dealing with finances. We have a shared household income, we don't split bills or anything, so if she were to go out and spend $500 without telling me, that would upset me so I pay the same respect. In fact, when it comes to statues she gets the final say on whether or not it's going to be purchased. I am totally fine with this. The only time it's ever a touchy subject is when I try to explain that my $1000 statue in a year costs less than her $300 purchase 6x a year. I think some sort of logic loop happens in the female brain at that point ;)
Not over compensation its called being a man. And neither should a woman be told what not or how much to buy with her own money.

gorocketcat
05-21-2017, 12:28 PM
And neither should a woman be told what not or how much to buy with her own money.

Yeah, it's weird. I know quite a few people/friends that, once they got married, suddenly required permission to do anything. Want to hang out this weekend? "Let me ask my wife." Some new item came out you want to purchase? "I'd like that, but she won't let me." That doesn't sound like marital bliss to me, but a life long hell.

How does that happen? My other half complements my life, she doesn't control it. Hell, if that was how she responded to her friends about things, "I need to check with my husband, he won't let me buy what I want" then I'd be seen as a sexist controlling pig.

We're two people who enjoy being in each other's company, and living together - and plan to do so for the rest of our lives. We're not the same person, and we sure as hell aren't each other's keeper.

crimsinwing1989
05-21-2017, 01:10 PM
Yeah, it's weird. I know quite a few people/friends that, once they got married, suddenly required permission to do anything. Want to hang out this weekend? "Let me ask my wife." Some new item came out you want to purchase? "I'd like that, but she won't let me." That doesn't sound like marital bliss to me, but a life long hell.

How does that happen? My other half complements my life, she doesn't control it. Hell, if that was how she responded to her friends about things, "I need to check with my husband, he won't let me buy what I want" then I'd be seen as a sexist controlling pig.

We're two people who enjoy being in each other's company, and living together - and plan to do so for the rest of our lives. We're not the same person, and we sure as hell aren't each other's keeper.
Exactly, 1000% agree with everything you said.

Viper245
05-21-2017, 01:13 PM

Preach it! I am currently single and answer to no one but I have been in relationships with women that were exactly as you you described. Needless to say, the relationship didn't last very long once they started that crap. I only use discretionary income in my statue purchases and it was the same in my relationships but these women felt the need to dictate what I should be buying with my money. I want an equal partner in a relationship where we compliment each other and treat each other as adults. Not one that wants to take on the parent role in a relationship. Sounds like you got yourself a wonderful lady in your life.

dechirico7
05-21-2017, 01:18 PM
Calm down you thirsty nerds! :laugh:

Lmao, whaaaatttt?

I thought u and Northern are an item ;)

Nope, just friends.

pacino
05-21-2017, 01:54 PM
I tend to hide some when they arrive in the mail :) I throw them in the garage and when I bring them into the house I pretend I've had that collectible for many years lol

COI
05-21-2017, 03:15 PM
Not over compensation its called being a man. And neither should a woman be told what not or how much to buy with her own money.

I agree, except I think it's called being an adult, period.

There are two sides to this though. There are people who are controlling over their partners, and there are also people who are selfish and overly indulgent with their hobbies. How many collectors out there take things too far and need to be reined in? Some people need a partner to act like a parent and keep them in-line, and others think relationships are all about control. Then there's everything in between. Some people are honest to a fault, and some people claim they want honesty but in fact can't handle it. Different people, different circumstances, so saying 'relationships should be like this or that' is usually far too simplistic.

Zombiez
05-21-2017, 03:53 PM
I'm sorry but some of the responses in this thread are pathetic.... you're supposed to be an adult. that's all I have to say reading this thread is depressing the hell out of me

FJC
05-21-2017, 04:28 PM

I thought the same thing when I saw that quote. I agree with you, it's not over compensation...it is about being your own man. My wife doesn't run purchases by me because I trust her not to do anything that would hurt our family. I pay all the bills so I know exactly what she spends. For the most part, she knows what I spend as well. It's not like she doesn't see our bank statements every month. She knows we are in good shape. That's why I won't let her give me a hard time or sweat me over how much I spend on statues.

I know better than to put our family in a bad financial situation. That's why I told my wife I've had enough when she started nagging and giving me attitude over my statues. Today, life is good. She would always prefer I drop the hobby but knows that won't happen unless I want it to. I open every box I get with my 2 boys when they get home from school, so I don't hide anything from her. I do think she does get a little laugh out of watching her 3 guys nerd out whenever we unbox a new statue. There's absolutely no tension now in our relationship over my hobby. I don't think it would be that way if I didn't immediately take a stand when she started harping about my statues and their prices. Ultimately, I want to be a man who lives with his wife and not some woman who acts like she's my mom. Personally, that's just something I could never tolerate.

FJC
05-21-2017, 04:40 PM
Preach it! I am currently single and answer to no one but I have been in relationships with women that were exactly as you you described. Needless to say, the relationship didn't last very long once they started that crap. I only use discretionary income in my statue purchases and it was the same in my relationships but these women felt the need to dictate what I should be buying with my money. I want an equal partner in a relationship where we compliment each other and treat each other as adults. Not one that wants to take on the parent role in a relationship. Sounds like you got yourself a wonderful lady in your life.

Bingo Viper. If a women tries to tell you what you can or can't do with your friends or your money, kick her to the curb immediately. You certainly shouldn't marry someone like that.

Agent23
05-21-2017, 05:04 PM
I buy what I want (which isn't much these days). My wife doesn't care.

newe82
05-21-2017, 06:53 PM
I tell wife 2 and 3 how much they cost, but wife 1 is totally against it. My girlfriend could care less either way. :flash:

manboy
05-21-2017, 07:51 PM
I'm sorry but some of the responses in this thread are pathetic.... you're supposed to be an adult. that's all I have to say reading this thread is depressing the hell out of me

I think getting depressed about how other people run their lives is pathetic too

SONICobra
05-21-2017, 08:18 PM
im still hoping I luck out and meet some chick that likes these things as much as I do, then we can be poor but happy together :)

FriendlySamurai
05-21-2017, 08:24 PM
Im not married, no kids either- so every time I buy a statue I say to myself "thats this years diaper money", "this years school supplies", "this years new blender" etc lol

Gotta enjoy being single

Darth Madden
05-21-2017, 08:34 PM
We have joint accounts for all of OUR stuff and separate accounts for our own stuff. As long as all of OUR stuff is taken care of we are both ok with each others "other" spending... unless its something totally out of control expensive.

gorocketcat
05-21-2017, 08:52 PM
Im not married, no kids either- so every time I buy a statue I say to myself "thats this years diaper money", "this years school supplies", "this years new blender" etc lol

Gotta enjoy being single

Being single is great. So is every stage of being in a relationship. Enjoy each phase of your life.

VS1976
05-21-2017, 08:59 PM
If you are a male, you actually live 10 years longer if you are single then if you are married.

Zombiez
05-21-2017, 09:26 PM
I think getting depressed about how other people run their lives is pathetic too

It's very sad knowing so many men are weak willed cowards that are obviously under their wives control... I mean seriously some "men " should grow a pair.

ComicJesus
05-21-2017, 09:41 PM
If you are a male, you actually live 10 years longer if you are single then if you are married.

Actually most studies show being in a "good" marriage leads to better longevity, cardiovascular health, and mental health. The caveat is that it's a good relationship.
My wife is the most amazing woman I have ever met. Some of my past bad relationships were the lowest points of my life. My wife supports me in everything I do and is an amazing mother. She has been known to buy me statues as well from time to time. She doesn't share the interest in superheroes but she always listens when I talk about it and goes to all the movies with me.
I couldn't be with someone who doesn't support me in my collection. We also have a daughter together who will hopefully take an interest, as the collection will be hers one day.
Basically what I'm saying is, being in a relationship has numerous, numerous benefits.

UnicornPegasus
05-21-2017, 10:09 PM
Husband knows, and doesn't care because it's my money.

manboy
05-21-2017, 10:45 PM
It's very sad knowing so many men are weak willed cowards that are obviously under their wives control... I mean seriously some "men " should grow a pair.

Cool. Have fun being sad, I'll continue looking at my awesome statues with my beautiful wife.

Zombiez
05-21-2017, 11:10 PM
Cool. Have fun being sad, I'll continue looking at my awesome statues with my beautiful wife.

lol my tears for the weak men are endless just make sure you get her permission before you buy another statue I wouldn't want you get a beating for it

manboy
05-21-2017, 11:49 PM
lol my tears for the weak men are endless just make sure you get her permission before you buy another statue I wouldn't want you get a beating for it

Thnx for the advice, have fun lonely-gal!

TNovak
05-21-2017, 11:55 PM

Yeah but if you're married it SEEMS a lot longer. :rimshot:

ratchet
05-22-2017, 01:25 AM
None of the options really apply to me. As long as the bills are paid and we're not strapped for cash then the topic never comes up. She doesn't ask and I don't say. If she'd ask I would tell her. She really has no interest in my collection.

There are times where she'll ask if I have any money left over after a con or something - but that's just because she wants to go to Sizzler!

Barbarian
05-22-2017, 11:06 AM
Yeah but if you're married it SEEMS a lot longer. :rimshot::rimshot:
:laugh::laugh::laugh: Booyah!

gorocketcat
05-22-2017, 11:27 AM
None of the options really apply to me. As long as the bills are paid and we're not strapped for cash then the topic never comes up. She doesn't ask and I don't say. If she'd ask I would tell her. She really has no interest in my collection.

This is kind of the key. As long as both parties are responsible and important money payments are made, and a decent amount is being saved for the future, then spend what you will on what you want.

I know that this forum is about statues, and the topic is about spending on statues, but it really extends out to any hobby you have interest in. Don't be embarrassed or ashamed of what you enjoy, and don't let a relationship get in the way of it. I see far too many husbands who stop being themselves, and abandon their hobbies because a wife enters into a relationship with the intent of changing them. (I'm sure it happens vice versa as well, I just don't hang out with many wives.) Fine, you're a couple now, and do things as a unit - but you're still two individuals.

This thread is starting to run its course, but basically it boils down to mutual respect. It's not a "she's not changing me, I'm a MAN! A MANLY MANLY MAN!" nor is it a "I have to hide my purchases and lie because I'm afraid of her". Be an adult, respect him/her, and yourself. Marry a friend, not a boss.

Dirt Torpedo
05-22-2017, 11:35 AM
I lie, so if she leaves she won't get half of the true value. Same with my watches, guitars and car.

Y3E
05-22-2017, 02:35 PM
Even if you lied, how can they not know? It's called google...the company name and name of the statue is on the side of the box.

Chris

There are times where she'll ask if I have any money left over after a con or something - but that's just because she wants to go to Sizzler!

This is kind of the key. As long as both parties are responsible and important money payments are made, and a decent amount is being saved for the future, then spend what you will on what you want.

I know that this forum is about statues, and the topic is about spending on statues, but it really extends out to any hobby you have interest in. Don't be embarrassed or ashamed of what you enjoy, and don't let a relationship get in the way of it. I see far too many husbands who stop being themselves, and abandon their hobbies because a wife enters into a relationship with the intent of changing them. (I'm sure it happens vice versa as well, I just don't hang out with many wives.) Fine, you're a couple now, and do things as a unit - but you're still two individuals.

This thread is starting to run its course, but basically it boils down to mutual respect. It's not a "she's not changing me, I'm a MAN! A MANLY MANLY MAN!" nor is it a "I have to hide my purchases and lie because I'm afraid of her". Be an adult, respect him/her, and yourself. Marry a friend, not a boss.

I may joke around in my posts but you guys are right. My wife is smart and it would be stupid to think I can trick her regarding the prices of these statues. She knows how much these things cost and doesn't like what I spend on them, but the bills are paid, the family is fed, we still do the things we want, so it is good. We both have our hobbies and when they get out of hand then it is time re-evaluate what is important.

Happy collecting!

Python
05-22-2017, 02:47 PM

We can't all be big balled "real men" like you... I mean some of us treat our partners as equals, weird I know right.

Roy Batty
05-22-2017, 03:16 PM
My wife knows I spend a lot, just not how much. She is supportive, and all the important bills get paid first, and whatever is left gets spent. She knows that.

Same here. Been married 18 years and it's my only vice. She knew beforehand about my collecting.

Zombiez
05-22-2017, 05:30 PM
We can't all be big balled "real men" like you... I mean some of us treat our partners as equals, weird I know right.

Lol if you have to ask permission to buy something or hide your property from someone then you are not their equal.

SAB380
05-22-2017, 10:17 PM
My wife doesn't care what I spend.
She hates how much room 1/4 and 1/3 statues take up though.

Python
05-23-2017, 08:18 AM
Lol if you have to ask permission to buy something or hide your property from someone then you are not their equal.

I don't have to, I don't think I've seen anybody else say they do either. But two grown ups in a relationship talking over large purchases is very different to having to ask permission. And your male dominant views are archaic. I'm guessing you're extremely single...

I and I
05-23-2017, 09:20 AM
Like my spouse already mentioned, we collect together (statues, games, comics and boardgames) . We both know exactly how much everything costs. Disadvantage.. we want a lot :p so we have to much stuff

MrJones
05-23-2017, 10:12 AM
I'm glad the seed I planted flourished into a full plant to expose those who I was making fun of.

You clearly don't have a shared income. And if you do, I can't wait for your significant other to go drop $1500 of both of your hard earned money on a purse she doesn't need. Then I think you'll be crying a different tune about "asking permission".

My point before was it's not so much "asking permission from a controlling partner" as it was, "respecting your partner enough to see if the household income can support such a purchase".

I kind of mentioned it in the way I did because I've seen this type of question brought up on facebook before and the responses are pathetic.

"If a girl tried to control my hobby I'd kick her to the curb" says the guy listed as single.

Listen, I love this statue hobby, but guess what, I love my wife more. If she said we need to sell my entire collection the sh*t is on ebay the next day. If you aren't in a relationship where your significant other outweighs some polystone than maybe it is you that needs to reevaluate the relationship.

Barbarian
05-23-2017, 10:34 AM
Pretty sure Zombiez is typing his posts from under a bridge, y'all. No reason to nibble on that rancid bait. :wink2:

gorocketcat
05-23-2017, 10:47 AM
Pretty sure Zombiez is typing his posts from under a bridge, y'all. No reason to nibble on that rancid bait. :wink2:

No, I agree with what he said. If you feel like you need to lie/hide, then like it or not then you're submitting.

Who cares if he is/isn't single? That has no bearing on what he said. There could be a thousand reasons why he is/isn't.

Find someone who makes you a better you. Not someone who forces you to change, and give up something you love.

T.MAC
05-23-2017, 10:55 AM
My wife totally keeps me grounded with this hobby. I would be up to my neck in these damn things and homeless if she wasn't all like, maybe we should make the house payment first...

Bonus is, she always has a list to pull from for Christmas/Birthday presents for me.

lol

manboy
05-23-2017, 10:55 AM
No, I agree with what he said. If you feel like you need to lie/hide, then like it or not then you're submitting.

Who cares if he is/isn't single? That has no bearing on what he said. There could be a thousand reasons why he is/isn't.

Find someone who makes you a better you. Not someone who forces you to change, and give up something you love.

Have fun finding that perfect person that agrees with you on all fronts!

gorocketcat
05-23-2017, 11:12 AM
Have fun finding that perfect person that agrees with you on all fronts!

I thoroughly enjoyed the time I spent trying to find someone that complemented my life. It was great.

Right now is pretty great as well.

Remarks like yours are puzzling. Are you implying that, unless you bend to someone else's will, you're destined to forever be single?

Did you just now jump into the thread with your 2 cents, disregarding everything else I've said up to now? Personal attacks don't further any conversations.

Barbarian
05-23-2017, 11:21 AM
I thoroughly enjoyed the time I spent trying to find someone that complemented my life. It was great.

Right now is pretty great as well.

Remarks like yours are puzzling. Are you implying that, unless you bend to someone else's will, you're destined to forever be single?

Did you just now jump into the thread with your 2 cents, disregarding everything else I've said up to now? Personal attacks don't further any conversations.
The same reason I disparaged Zombiez' line of debate. "Grow a pair" ain't exactly respectful.

Nugchompa
05-23-2017, 11:26 AM
My wife seems to be drawing a fine line at the 1/2 Gal Gadot Wonder Woman statue. She has a semi-valid point about where we would put it. She doesn't fancy the idea of it being in our bedroom.

gorocketcat
05-23-2017, 11:32 AM
The same reason I disparaged Zombiez' line of debate. "Grow a pair" ain't exactly respectful.

Well, I'll say that the way he chose to get his point across wasn't the most subtle. Even if I agree with his stance, minus the macho bull.

BOTH PARTIES should "grow a pair" and be equals.

Something no one has really mentioned yet - if I found out that my spouse was lying to me about how much money was being spent, and hiding things from me (assuming that this wasn't her fun money, but our savings) I'd consider it massively disrespectful. I'd be FAR more upset about this than her being up front about it and spending it irrationally. Trust is the most important thing.

FJC
05-23-2017, 12:41 PM
I'm glad the seed I planted flourished into a full plant to expose those who I was making fun of.

You clearly don't have a shared income. And if you do, I can't wait for your significant other to go drop $1500 of both of your hard earned money on a purse she doesn't need. Then I think you'll be crying a different tune about "asking permission".

My point before was it's not so much "asking permission from a controlling partner" as it was, "respecting your partner enough to see if the household income can support such a purchase".

I kind of mentioned it in the way I did because I've seen this type of question brought up on facebook before and the responses are pathetic.

"If a girl tried to control my hobby I'd kick her to the curb" says the guy listed as single.

Listen, I love this statue hobby, but guess what, I love my wife more. If she said we need to sell my entire collection the sh*t is on ebay the next day. If you aren't in a relationship where your significant other outweighs some polystone than maybe it is you that needs to reevaluate the relationship.

Mr Jones, you are generalizing. We are all in different relationships/marriages because not all of our significant others are the same. Also, as men we are different as well. What works in one relationship doesn't work in others. I already KNOW I'm difficult to deal with because I'm headstrong/stubborn and usually make all the important choices for my family ( I do discuss everything with my wife though). My wife is OK with that...with another woman, she may not be. However, I feel that I'm with the woman who's right for me.

Also, not all of us are in the same financial situation. One spouse may be working while another isn't. Maybe both are working but one makes more than the other. It's also possible that both spouses are banking great cash. Depending on your financial situation, it will affect how much you buy or spend on our hobby.

Finally, there are spouses who are very controlling. My cousin actually got divorced because of this hobby. His wife is an IBM project manager who make about $135,000 a year. He works in a laser tech business (he calibrates laser machines and installs them after they are purchased) and pulls down about $95,000 a year. He turned over EVERY pay check to his wife and she gave him a $50 a week allowance so he can buy lunch at work. She kept control of all of the money he made. They have zero credit card debt and their home only had a few more years left until it was paid off. They were in great shape until he POd a few statues. She lost her mind over it and served him divorce papers. There was no conversation or discussion, she wanted out because he wasn't going along with her plan.

I also agree with you to a certain extent. If you have to sell off your collection, you do it for your family. However, my family would have to be in a dire financial situation. If we need a new roof and can't afford it, statues have to go. No doubt about it. However, if you have a very healthy financial situation and your significant other says you hobby is stupid, you are wasting money, and you have to stop and sell everything or she's gone...well, let's just say that won't fly with me.

TNovak
05-23-2017, 12:46 PM
Maybe it is because we lived together so long before we got married but even though we have been together for 22 years and married for 15 we have NEVER combined our money. She has her money from her job, I have mine, She has the bills she is responsible for, I have mine. Whatever we have left after our bills we can spend however we want. Weird I know and financially we are more like roommates than spouses but I have to say it works out great. We NEVER argue about money. If there are large expenses (especially unexpected) we discuss them and how each of us will come up with whatever we decide we should each pay but otherwise it is no-drama spending on both sides. Works for us.

FJC
05-23-2017, 12:53 PM
Maybe it is because we lived together so long before we got married but even though we have been together for 22 years and married for 15 we have NEVER combined our money. She has her money from her job, I have mine, She has the bills she is responsible for, I have mine. Whatever we have left after our bills we can spend however we want. Weird I know and financially we are more like roommates than spouses but I have to say it works out great. We NEVER argue about money. If there are large expenses (especially unexpected) we discuss them and how each of us will come up with whatever we decide we should each pay but otherwise it is no-drama spending on both sides. Works for us.

Sounds like you have the perfect set up for your marriage. Some women will insist on being on all of the accounts though. So, that situation wouldn't be ideal in some relationships. I have 3 bank accounts and my wife is on all of them. It's not an issue for us. So long as all of our financial responsibilities are covered and we have a healthy "rainy day amount", we never even talk much about money.

TNovak
05-23-2017, 12:59 PM
Sounds like you have the perfect set up for your marriage. Some women will insist on being on all of the accounts though. So, that situation wouldn't be ideal in some relationships. I have 3 bank accounts and my wife is on all of them. It's not an issue for us. So long as all of our financial responsibilities are covered and we have a healthy "rainy day amount", we never even talk much about money.

We do have one joint account that is more or less dormant. I can't remember the last time either of us put money in or took money out. I think the reason it was even set up is it was some requirement our Bank had when we refinanced the house a while ago. Maybe it wasn't a requirement but more like an incentive that if we did that we got a little lower rate or something.

For our system to work you also have to have enough money that bills are covered. We have been blessed in that respect. I would imagine if one or both of us lost our jobs or we had any trouble paying the light bill or house payment then our system would probably fall apart pretty quickly.

gorocketcat
05-23-2017, 01:00 PM

I'm in the same situation myself. We have separate accounts. I don't care what she spends her fun money on. She's an adult. If it brings her joy, then I'm happy she does whatever it is she does. Life is too short, and it's just money.

FJC
05-23-2017, 01:02 PM
We do have one joint account that is more or less dormant. I can't remember the last time either of us put money in or took money out. I think the reason it was even set up is it was some requirement our Bank had when we refinanced the house a while ago. Maybe it wasn't a requirement but more like an incentive that if we did that we got a little lower rate or something.

For our system to work you also have to have enough money that bills are covered. We have been blessed in that respect. I would imagine if one or both of us lost our jobs or we had any trouble paying the light bill or house payment then our system would probably fall apart pretty quickly.

True, but then you would adjust. Because under those circumstances, nothing is more important than your family. I know I personally would be having a "everything has got to go" sale if that was happening to my family.

SideShowJoe
05-23-2017, 03:01 PM

Retweet Lol preach Test... if your in a relationship where your hiding all of your spendings and money from your wife or husband your in for big fight or rude awakening when they find out! May not seem like a big deal because it's not like your gambling, buying some sidewalk strange, or drugs right ?? Well, to me and my husband it's a big deal but we talk and tell each other everything.... works better for everyone if there's honesty up front.

But if some of you don't have this luxury and have joint bank accounts and your significant other is not ok with it than find a different wife or husband....kidding as that's tough, and we can't help who you love in life... so if you have no other option and want to buy statues make a private PayPal account to do your buying and selling!!

Sarah

MrJones
05-23-2017, 04:34 PM
Maybe I was generalizing FJC, you are totally correct, everyone's situation is different. What works for me doesn't work with everyone else. I think I just get defensive when I hear someone interpret a situation similar to mine as me revoking my man card. Like the fact that I'd do anything to make my wife happy - including not buying statues - makes me less of a man, that doesn't sit with me. Maybe I'm just reading into posts too much. I really shouldn't and normally don't. Guess it's just one of those days. Let's get back to the jokes :)

*edit* sorry to hear about your cousin. Random divorce papers from a small incident would be a serious shocker. Not cool.

ambasah
05-23-2017, 04:36 PM
For those with separate accounts do you have kids? If so, I imagine juggling those costs would be a lot of work?

COI
05-23-2017, 04:48 PM
Mr Jones, you are generalizing. We are all in different relationships/marriages because not all of our significant others are the same. Also, as men we are different as well. What works in one relationship doesn't work in others. I already KNOW I'm difficult to deal with because I'm headstrong/stubborn and usually make all the important choices for my family ( I do discuss everything with my wife though). My wife is OK with that...with another woman, she may not be. However, I feel that I'm with the woman who's right for me.

Also, not all of us are in the same financial situation. One spouse may be working while another isn't. Maybe both are working but one makes more than the other. It's also possible that both spouses are banking great cash. Depending on your financial situation, it will affect how much you buy or spend on our hobby.

Finally, there are spouses who are very controlling. My cousin actually got divorced because of this hobby. His wife is an IBM project manager who make about $135,000 a year. He works in a laser tech business (he calibrates laser machines and installs them after they are purchased) and pulls down about $95,000 a year. He turned over EVERY pay check to his wife and she gave him a $50 a week allowance so he can buy lunch at work. She kept control of all of the money he made. They have zero credit card debt and their home only had a few more years left until it was paid off. They were in great shape until he POd a few statues. She lost her mind over it and served him divorce papers. There was no conversation or discussion, she wanted out because he wasn't going along with her plan.

Good post.

Ideals are great and all, but in practice people are too complex for universal prescriptions. If you're making your relationship work, that's great, but that doesn't mean you've cracked the code for everyone else. There are certain ideals we should all strive for, but less than ideal situations are the norm and you can make that work when your brand of crazy meshes well with your partner's.

MrJones
05-23-2017, 04:53 PM
Good post.

Ideals are great and all, but in practice people are too complex for universal prescriptions. If you're making your relationship work, that's great, but that doesn't mean you've cracked the code for everyone else. There are certain ideals we should all strive for, but less than ideal situations are the norm and you can make that work when your brand of crazy meshes well with your partner's.

Yes I agree, FJC you put things into perspective for me. I often preach how complicated other people's relationships can be. For instance, we know another couple that is now getting divorced. Neither of us knows why. And it literally could be thousands of reasons we will never know. So you guys are 100% correct there is no universal truth. Hell, there are couples out there that function on lies.

sith_apprentice
05-23-2017, 05:04 PM
For those with separate accounts do you have kids? If so, I imagine juggling those costs would be a lot of work?

It works pretty well for us. We each have a list of what we buy (I buy pull-ups, wipes, crackers, cookies, break, peanut butter, etc and she buys bananas, grapes, macaroni, milk, etc), and I give her cash every week for daycare. We split the mortgage down the middle, I handle gas, power, cable and internet, she handles water, cell phones, car insurance, and we each have seperate savings and checking accounts.

I thought we might merge them when we moved in together, then when we got married, then when we got a house, then when we paid off the cars, then when we had a kid... but they've just stayed seperate and it seems to be ok.

I think we'd fight too much if we carefully monitored what the other buys, and I'm sure we would have gone overdraft on several occassions - too many pending transactions and bill payments...

TNovak
05-23-2017, 05:16 PM

We have 5, but it isn't hard to keep track at all. Most of the major big ticket items are mine. House payment, car payments, all insurance, utilities, credit cards, DirecTV, and some others.

All of the household stuff is hers, Groceries, clothes, garbage sewer and water, Christmas and birthdays, school meals, activities, daycare (when ewe had it) etc.

Sometimes I will have to just stop at the store and pick up milk or whatever but I just buy that out of my end. She shops regularly though and I don't have to spend much on that. When all 5 kids lived with us we (she) would buy a quarter of beef at a time and keep it in the freezer. Much cheaper that way.

And overall I would think it would be much harder to keep track if you are both writing checks/making payments out of the same account. You would have to sit down regularly to discuss to make sure your combined spending isn't overdrawing the account?

FJC
05-23-2017, 05:45 PM
Maybe I was generalizing FJC, you are totally correct, everyone's situation is different. What works for me doesn't work with everyone else. I think I just get defensive when I hear someone interpret a situation similar to mine as me revoking my man card. Like the fact that I'd do anything to make my wife happy - including not buying statues - makes me less of a man, that doesn't sit with me. Maybe I'm just reading into posts too much. I really shouldn't and normally don't. Guess it's just one of those days. Let's get back to the jokes :)

*edit* sorry to hear about your cousin. Random divorce papers from a small incident would be a serious shocker. Not cool.

I understand where you are coming from. We all tend to pass judgement and opinions on how marriages should work. However, I'm a firm believer in whatever works for you is OK. I live with and have to get along with MY wife. You have to do the same with yours. What works for me may not necessarily work in your (or other) relationship(s). No matter how we collect, I believe at the end of the day, we all want to get along and have a good relationship with our significant others. We each have to do whatever we have to do (and feel comfortable with), to get there.

As for my cousin, that was a mess. His ex tossed all of his statues in large totes and gave them to him. Every one of them was damaged or broken. I even had to put him up for a few months until he was back on his feet again and could get his own place. Thankfully, he's in a much better point in his life and has moved on. It's his 3 son's that he misses most and they were most impacted by the divorce. His boys do maintain a great relationship with him so, all's well that ends well.

You keep making your wife happy Mr. Jones, and I hope she does the same for you.

FJC
05-23-2017, 05:50 PM
Yes I agree, FJC you put things into perspective for me. I often preach how complicated other people's relationships can be. For instance, we know another couple that is now getting divorced. Neither of us knows why. And it literally could be thousands of reasons we will never know. So you guys are 100% correct there is no universal truth. Hell, there are couples out there that function on lies.

Just saw this post after the fact...you hit the nail right on the head.

dugabrams
05-23-2017, 06:29 PM
My wife knows how much.

That makes her the enabler.

NEMISIS PRIME
05-23-2017, 06:55 PM
Should have been a don't ask don't tell option my wife has some idea but doesn't really want to know so I couldn't vote

strife87
05-23-2017, 07:47 PM

One child. Never found it difficult juggling costs and bills as they are relatively consistent ( each of us has set bills we pay each month ) and this way both of us know what we have available and don't have to worry about coordinating daily purchases out of an account. Works well for us.

xforce
05-23-2017, 07:59 PM
You need a partial truth option. I tell her alot of the stuff most of the time. But once I start getting too much grief I may leave one or two out of what I bought. She does the same with shoes, purses ect.

All the bills are paid, and prioritized I just use the extra money

ambasah
05-24-2017, 02:26 AM
It works pretty well for us. We each have a list of what we buy (I buy pull-ups, wipes, crackers, cookies, break, peanut butter, etc and she buys bananas, grapes, macaroni, milk, etc), and I give her cash every week for daycare. We split the mortgage down the middle, I handle gas, power, cable and internet, she handles water, cell phones, car insurance, and we each have seperate savings and checking accounts.

I thought we might merge them when we moved in together, then when we got married, then when we got a house, then when we paid off the cars, then when we had a kid... but they've just stayed seperate and it seems to be ok.

I think we'd fight too much if we carefully monitored what the other buys, and I'm sure we would have gone overdraft on several occassions - too many pending transactions and bill payments...

We have 5, but it isn't hard to keep track at all. Most of the major big ticket items are mine. House payment, car payments, all insurance, utilities, credit cards, DirecTV, and some others.

All of the household stuff is hers, Groceries, clothes, garbage sewer and water, Christmas and birthdays, school meals, activities, daycare (when ewe had it) etc.

Sometimes I will have to just stop at the store and pick up milk or whatever but I just buy that out of my end. She shops regularly though and I don't have to spend much on that. When all 5 kids lived with us we (she) would buy a quarter of beef at a time and keep it in the freezer. Much cheaper that way.

And overall I would think it would be much harder to keep track if you are both writing checks/making payments out of the same account. You would have to sit down regularly to discuss to make sure your combined spending isn't overdrawing the account?

One child. Never found it difficult juggling costs and bills as they are relatively consistent ( each of us has set bills we pay each month ) and this way both of us know what we have available and don't have to worry about coordinating daily purchases out of an account. Works well for us.

thank you for the responses guys. we have 4-year old twins and I was curious. Glad you are all able to make it work.

Zombiez
05-24-2017, 04:21 AM
I don't have to, I don't think I've seen anybody else say they do either. But two grown ups in a relationship talking over large purchases is very different to having to ask permission. And your male dominant views are archaic. I'm guessing you're extremely single...

I'm not single but all the women i have ever been with have always been somewhat traditional so once I take care of my responsibility they never moaned about how I spent my extra money and those that did were either put in their place or dumped.... I think people should except you and what you do and like or they should get the hell on. Sorry if my words in this thread have been too harsh for some

manboy
05-24-2017, 10:43 AM
I'm not single but all the women i have ever been with have always been somewhat traditional so once I take care of my responsibility they never moaned about how I spent my extra money and those that did were either put in their place or dumped.... I think people should except you and what you do and like or they should get the hell on. Sorry if my words in this thread have been too harsh for some

https://ih1.redbubble.net/image.11907024.4950/sticker,375x360-bg,ffffff.png

Zombiez
05-24-2017, 01:36 PM
https://ih1.redbubble.net/image.11907024.4950/sticker,375x360-bg,ffffff.png

if not allowing my girl to have any say so on how i spend my extra money makes me a badass then so be it.

If never having to lie to her because i want to buy a statue makes me a badass then so be it

gorocketcat
05-24-2017, 01:52 PM
Zombiez, while I agree with what you're saying, I don't agree with how you say it. "Put in their place" comes off as unnecessarily aggressive. In a relationship no one should have control.

Nugchompa
05-24-2017, 01:58 PM
Zombiez, while I agree with what you're saying, I don't agree with how you say it. "Put in their place" comes off as unnecessarily aggressive. In a relationship no one should have control.

If someone tries to control how you spend YOUR money, they do need to be put in their place.

Python
05-24-2017, 02:18 PM
If someone tries to control how you spend YOUR money, they do need to be put in their place.

If that person is your significant other, and paying towards the household bills, with a genuine interest in where the money is going. Then no, they do not "need to be put in thier place"

I'm not even in such a position, I have a very understanding partner and my comments about fudging the price of statues were mostly light hearted. but man some of you guys are coming across really badly at the moment.

Nugchompa
05-24-2017, 02:32 PM
If that person is your significant other, and paying towards the household bills, with a genuine interest in where the money is going. Then no, they do not "need to be put in thier place"

I'm not even in such a position, I have a very understanding partner and my comments about fudging the price of statues were mostly light hearted. but man some of you guys are coming across really badly at the moment.

Let me emphasize since some do not have this arrangement. Many couples put money into a joint account for bills, but then keep the remainder as their personal money. If someone is dictating how you spend your personal money, they are trying to control you. If someone is trying to control you, they need to be put in their place.

manboy
05-24-2017, 02:45 PM

Agree. Started out as a fun thread, turned way too serious by judgmentals that have probably never been in a real longterm relationship so instead they "theorize" on how it's done right and how we do it "wrong." Let me know how to raise my kids when you have time.

Nugchompa
05-24-2017, 03:07 PM
Agree. Started out as a fun thread, turned way too serious by judgmentals that have probably never been in a real longterm relationship so instead they "theorize" on how it's done right and how we do it "wrong." Let me know how to raise my kids when you have time.

Now good? Everyone needs to lighten up, that is for sure. I'm quite surprised people can function without constant arguments if they dont have part of their finances separate. I can just imagine the phone calls. "Honey, can I buy some underwear today."

Seriously, though. Whatever works for you.

manboy
05-24-2017, 03:09 PM
Now good? Everyone needs to lighten up, that is for sure. I'm quite surprised people can function without constant arguments if they dont have part of their finances separate. I can just imagine the phone calls. "Honey, can I buy some underwear today."

Seriously, though. Whatever works for you.

Right, we're asking our wives if we can buy underwear.

Nugchompa
05-24-2017, 03:11 PM
Right, we're asking our wives if we can buy underwear.

Are you asking if you can buy a statue? What happens if you ask and they say no? Any animosity?

MrJones
05-24-2017, 03:12 PM
I keep my statue collection with my hidden Taiwanese family whom I fiercely love

manboy
05-24-2017, 03:13 PM
Are you asking if you can buy a statue?

Of course not, you may be referring to someone else. I was the guy who innocently said that I would fudge the price of a statue if asked and even that was in half jest. My wife can care less what I buy as long as we can eat and pay our mortgage.

Hanky Panky
05-24-2017, 03:34 PM
Should have been a don't ask don't tell option my wife has some idea but doesn't really want to know so I couldn't vote

That's a good suggestion! I'm sure there's a significant percentage of gents here whose partners don't know or ask...so the husband doesn't tell or say anything. :goodpost:

Nugchompa
05-24-2017, 03:36 PM
Of course not, you may be referring to someone else. I was the guy who innocently said that I would fudge the price of a statue if asked and even that was in half jest. My wife can care less what I buy as long as we can eat and pay our mortgage.

Oh, alright. My wife knows what they cost and thinks I'm an idiot. :hilarious:

T.MAC
05-31-2017, 09:11 PM
Thought this was timely for this thread. Came home from work today and found birthday presents from the wife!

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c3/tmcshane/20170531_174015_1.jpg[/URL]

GaryTonge
05-31-2017, 09:20 PM
Thought this was timely for this thread. Came home from work today and found birthday presents from the wife!

Wow! Nice! My wife and I have a $100 limit for birthday presents for each other. lol

T.MAC
05-31-2017, 09:28 PM
Wow! Nice! My wife and I have a $100 limit for birthday presents for each other. lol

We do too but she said since it's my 40th, she decided to go big!

GaryTonge
06-01-2017, 02:09 AM

Happy birthday my man! I turn 40 this year as well.

VS1976
06-01-2017, 05:46 AM
Congrats .... nice gifts you lucky guy...

I turned 40 6 months ago too

Vracula
06-01-2017, 08:19 AM

I stopped doing this, I started feeling bad that she never suprised me with a gift. So I told her last birthday that it has to stop and she can buy me anything she wants and it doesn't have to be expensive, this was after like 15 years of telling her what statue I want. It felt good actually being suprised again.

Vracula
06-01-2017, 08:21 AM
I keep my statue collection with my hidden Taiwanese family whom I fiercely love

"Hey, Mr. Jones, no time for love. We've got company.!"

Raas Kaaz
06-01-2017, 08:51 AM
seams the year of the 40s.... Im due in a couple months as well :(

T.MAC
06-01-2017, 09:32 AM

Very lucky!

I did have to tell her though it was either statues or a sports car for my mid life crisis. lol

jpuli28
06-01-2017, 09:41 AM
I chose Truth, however, if she knew something like Zatanna was $500 (smh), I may have a problem.

Eky
06-01-2017, 12:42 PM

Happy birthday my man! I turn 40 this year as well.

I turned 40 6 months ago too

Serial happy 40 birthday guys :)
i am 40 too !!!!

Python
06-01-2017, 02:03 PM

[/URL]

Curious now, what was it? And happy birthday!

T.MAC
06-01-2017, 07:44 PM
Curious now, what was it? And happy birthday!

The 1/6th Thor and Loki, not allowed to open them until this weekend. hahaha They say what they are on the box though.

Apparently I've got one more coming but it was pushed back, based on that, I've got Sideshow Voltron or IA Soundwave coming!. She wanted me to have something in hand this weekend, I'm like a little kid with excitement!

T.MAC
06-01-2017, 07:45 PM
Serial happy 40 birthday guys :)
i am 40 too !!!!

It's a good age to be! Finally have enough money to spend buying expensive useless crap, I mean high end collectibles! lol

mousse
06-01-2017, 08:04 PM
My girlfriend encourages me to buy whatever I want. It's very dangerous, lol. She's an enabler!

jpuli28
06-01-2017, 09:58 PM
My girlfriend encourages me to buy whatever I want. It's very dangerous, lol. She's an enabler!

And calculating :muahaha:

Vecchio1
06-02-2017, 12:23 AM

What a woman!