PDA

View Full Version : Sideshow EX and sales

Bob Morton
06-05-2017, 11:17 PM
Hi,

Often I feel that I do not buy a sideshow piece because I can't get the ex. For example I will not get the Thanos on Throne because I can't get the ex. And I want the superman PF and batman PF but will not buy them because I can't get the ex. I have some type of completionist mental block that prevents me from getting the second best.

Do you guys also feel like this? Do you think sideshow is losing sales by having ex editions rather than having alll the goodies come in one edition?

aa909
06-05-2017, 11:19 PM
I personally make the decision on each statue individually. If I can't get the EX and like the reg, then I'll happily buy the reg.

On the other hand, you can get the EX on most pieces on the second market. Just a matter of price. GL!

tonytiger
06-05-2017, 11:21 PM
Hi,

Often I feel that I do not buy a sideshow piece because I can't get the ex. For example I will not get the Thanos on Throne because I can't get the ex. And I want the superman PF and batman PF but will not buy them because I can't get the ex. I have some type of completionist mental block that prevents me from getting the second best.

Do you guys also feel like this? Do you think sideshow is losing sales by having ex editions rather than having alll the goodies come in one edition?

So when you buy a car do you pay more to have all the extra options or get what you need? Most of the time the reg edition is just fine.

Comicbookguy
06-05-2017, 11:25 PM
No i look as it if you miss the po then it's time to pay up to get one. Then be there on time for new po's. With these massive ss Es and mostly bad ex, how hard is it to buy one in the aftermarket? Sure there will be hit and misses once every super rare while. Most ss stuff can be had now for less than retail in the aftermarket or at the least you can find it for retail.

Bob Morton
06-06-2017, 12:11 AM
So when you buy a car do you pay more to have all the extra options or get what you need? Most of the time the reg edition is just fine.

Ca and statues are really different for me. I don't need all the options with the car. What makes it worst for statues is I never actually use the ex head or parts but I still fell ripped off unless I get the ex.

Bob Morton
06-06-2017, 12:12 AM
No i look as it if you miss the po then it's time to pay up to get one. Then be there on time for new po's. With these massive ss Es and mostly bad ex, how hard is it to buy one in the aftermarket? Sure there will be hit and misses once every super rare while. Most ss stuff can be had now for less than retail in the aftermarket or at the least you can find it for retail.

Almost impossible to get PF ex at cost on the aftermarket. Even with huge ES the superman and batman PF ex are going for twice the price on the after market. Even used.

Parallax
06-06-2017, 12:14 AM
I'm not buying the EX on the Prime 1 SS Batman because I have no use for the rebreather head. I'm not buying the EX on Bane because I have no use for the EX head as I don't like the mask. I have the regular Batman PF and you can't tell because the EX isn't visible at the angle he's displayed. There are exclusives that I will just never use, and therefore I won't buy. There are exclusives that I can't live without, and if I don't get them I won't get the statue. It's all based on each statue individually.

Comicbookguy
06-06-2017, 12:29 AM
Almost impossible to get PF ex at cost on the aftermarket. Even with huge ES the superman and batman PF ex are going for twice the price on the after market. Even used.

Twice the price in the aftermarket? I just checked eBay completed and sure while you get a few high 600.00 sold supermans. There's at least 4-5 supermans exclusive which sold in May for 395.00-485.00. So chances of getting one for retail is definitely out there. I didn't even bother to check batman since I'm
Sure he's the same. Check it out and don't over pay. Good luck

Glencairn
06-06-2017, 12:50 AM
I think whole EX thing suck if you live outside US, have to pay huge postage& taxes to get them, at least I dont want to pay 200-300€ extra

FJC
06-06-2017, 01:45 AM

Do you live in the US Bob? If so I may be able to help you out.

FJC
06-06-2017, 01:47 AM
I think whole EX thing suck if you live outside US, have to pay huge postage& taxes to get them, at least I dont want to pay 200-300€ extra

Yeah, being an international customer isn't easy. While I live in the US and can easily order SSC merch, I have to pay through the nose if I want an XM piece.

Bowen or Bust
06-06-2017, 10:29 AM
If I order direct from Sideshow, I always get the EX since it costs the same anyways, otherwise I will only purchase an EX if I feel it enhances the statue. So far the only 2 exclusives I can think of that are essential to the piece would be the Rhino( the classic portrait is a must and I would not have bought it without it ) and Aquaman as I prefer the long hair and beard

Comicbookguy
06-06-2017, 10:57 AM
Yeah, being an international customer isn't easy. While I live in the US and can easily order SSC merch, I have to pay through the nose if I want an XM piece.

Yes works both ways. We USA suffered to get a xm with those crazy fees. But I still want ex or fail pieces.

MrJones
06-06-2017, 10:57 AM
It's usually not a big deal. This whole "EX or fail" mentality is kind of silly.

TRDNiteLife
06-06-2017, 11:11 AM
I have some type of completionist mental block that prevents me from getting the second best.

A true completionist would buy both the EX and Reg. Get to work.

Y3E
06-06-2017, 11:24 AM
I used to have that mentality Bob, EX or nothing but now it comes down to what the EX is. For example, Black Canary EX is a magazine cover or something...don't need it. Supergirl EX is a cat...don't need it. Zatanna is a bunny...don't need it.

jpuli28
06-06-2017, 11:31 AM
Well, if all statues had the same accessories then there would be no EX, so that makes the topic moot.

Otherwise, I agree with you, but only at a given time...
If both RE and EX are available Ill ALWAYS take the EX. However, if I missed the boat and can only find a RE that has the display I like or can live with, then I don't mind getting the RE.

In fact, in some case, similar to Y3E, the RE may be better than the EX. Like Bane for example, Ill never display the EX coh, didn't grow up with that one so its irrelevant. (But I did WL the EX and converted).

haljordan99
06-06-2017, 11:44 AM
Supergirl EX is a cat...don't need it.

Streaky is technically a character so I disagree on that one.

Basically what it comes down to is whether or not you plan on displaying the exclusive part. For instance, I think the new Bespin Luke looks better with his blaster so I think the EX is a must. I would never use the EX blaster for the new Han though, so I would rather wait to see if I can get a better deal on the reg in the after market.

BlackestNight
06-06-2017, 11:52 AM
If you are a completionist it comes down to being there day 1 for PO. Once missed move onto the secondary market for the purchase letting the inflated prices be a reminder to keep an eye on this hobby daily.

I came late and bought many on the secondary market, love every piece. So many people in the this hobby love to sell their pieces making nothing hard to come by.

HBK83
06-06-2017, 12:29 PM

Stay off eBay buddy. Some people can lead you in the right direction. You can get the Batman ex at cost. Superman maybe $50 more right now. eBay prices are always high because of seller fees.
Thanos will be high at first with some steals. But if you want something and don't want to pay huge mark up prices. Just be active in the community somebody will eventually look out and hook you up with what you need for a great price. But I say just be active.

Here what happened to me I was out of the statue collecting for a few years. I was big on Bowen and had a few sideshow but then I stopped. When I eventually got back. I missed out on some great pieces. One was Harley Quinn ex. I have bought and sold a few times since then. But it was going for 650$ and up. I eventually started posting in groups and communicating. And asked if anyone had one for a decent price. The same day someone sold me one for $500 shipped. He wasnt trying to break the bank just looking out. Ever since then I look out for others and some do the same back. I always sell under the Going rate.

SONICobra
06-06-2017, 12:36 PM
its case by case, some exclusives are a must for one reason or another - at least to me personally. if its not needed ill wait to get a deal whether its an ex or reg, example: ledger joker pf

Tbolt
06-06-2017, 12:47 PM

Basically what it comes down to is whether or not you plan on displaying the exclusive part. For instance, I think the new Bespin Luke looks better with his blaster so I think the EX is a must. I would never use the EX blaster for the new Han though, so I would rather wait to see if I can get a better deal on the reg in the after market.

Plus streaky is just GD awesome! It really adds to the statue, and they did a nice job.

I have a few EX's that I forget are even EX's, or couldn't tell you what made them EX's because it is so minor (Batgirl, Emma Frost) or are not really noticeable (Black Widow, Keaton Bats, Indiana Jones Pursuit) or I never display because I prefer the Reg (Captain America Allied Charge, Superman, Cap Marvel).

Though I would never buy the Reg Thanos.

Some EX's I have that I consider make or break, 1st Red Sonja, Last Hulk PF, Saruman, Vampirella, Harleyquinn.

I do prefer it when the EX is not a must have though. That might sound counterintuitive, but, yeah, you don't want to feel like you are missing something if you do happen to get the Reg.

BlackestNight
06-06-2017, 12:56 PM
Stay off eBay buddy. Some people can lead you in the right direction. You can get the Batman ex at cost. Superman maybe $50 more right now. eBay prices are always high because of seller fees.
Thanos will be high at first with some steals. But if you want something and don't want to pay huge mark up prices. Just be active in the community somebody will eventually look out and hook you up with what you need for a great price. But I say just be active.

Here what happened to me I was out of the statue collecting for a few years. I was big on Bowen and had a few sideshow but then I stopped. When I eventually got back. I missed out on some great pieces. One was Harley Quinn ex. I have bought and sold a few times since then. But it was going for 650$ and up. I eventually started posting in groups and communicating. And asked if anyone had one for a decent price. The same day someone sold me one for $500 shipped. He wasnt trying to break the bank just looking out. Ever since then I look out for others and some do the same back. I always sell under the Going rate.

I completely agree, buying on the boards has been nothing but a great experience, everyone is positive and no one I've dealt with hasn't been reasonable on price.

On the other hand, I've made offers on eBay many times only to be turned down.

SONICobra
06-06-2017, 01:00 PM
I do prefer it when the EX is not a must have though. That might sound counterintuitive, but, yeah, you don't want to feel like you are missing something if you do happen to get the Reg.

for me its also extra insurance if i ever end up selling a statue. i never buy something with the intention to sell, especially nowadays with prices the way they are but in the event i ever i had to a good ex usually holds its value at the very least

Tbolt
06-06-2017, 01:15 PM
for me its also extra insurance if i ever end up selling a statue. i never buy something with the intention to sell, especially nowadays with prices the way they are but in the event i ever i had to a good ex usually holds its value at the very least

True, except some of the worst EX's still command a premium, and some with a good EX go below retail. I think any need to sell right now is asking for trouble. I sold a few pieces at retail last year that I am routinely seeing going under retail now. That used to be a solid strategy, but there is a glut developing that makes it very risky if you need to sell EX or not.

supermetroid
06-06-2017, 01:22 PM
I'm kind of the same unless the Ex is really forgettable like the prints that came with the Spidey Comiquettes. It's nice to have all the options, and sometimes the Ex's have better portraits(Rhino, Thanos throne).

ob1ob
06-06-2017, 02:02 PM
Hi,

I share your completionist view when it comes to having the EX. Queen of the Dead PF is the only reg Sideshow piece I own and that's only because there is no EX. I like having more options and having the most complete version especially when the cost is the same as the reg. I may someday "settle" for a reg if the EX isn't available and not a must have. I also missed out on the Thanos EX and will pass on the reg. But for me that EX is definitely a must have.
As others have mentioned don't limit yourself to price gougers on the aftermarket. There are some decent prices to be found on FB groups, forums, and even eBay. Good luck!

Y3E
06-06-2017, 02:20 PM

Ah, similar to Superboy/man's dog, Krypto.

Still don't need it :)

wizardjones
06-06-2017, 04:12 PM
When I started collecting in 2010 it was "EX or fail!" You could usually double your after market sale ( if you were selling) just because of a switchout headband on a turtle that no one seemed to realize was done before a television show.

However, now the regular is just fine because allot of the exclusives turned into just art prints or some randomly painted addon of a cat on the base. Yet, at the same price of the regular I would just opt for the exclusive these days if you are buying from sideshow.

As far as ebay, just be smart before you buy. Look at their pictures and feedback closely. Ask smart questions that don't make you seem like a scammer. Also, always ask to have insurance added to your statue and proof of it.

Allot of people find Ebay allot easier because there is a bigger market of people to choose from. Also, be patient! These people are constantly flip flopping to one band wagon to the next. Before you know it, a once "grail" piece is sitting on our forums for less than retail.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C6aang1XQAEbt7E.jpg

dao2
06-06-2017, 06:03 PM
Indeed sometimes EX does not matter.

For example the P1 Triss statue which has quite possibly the worst EX I have ever seen.

SONICobra
06-06-2017, 06:28 PM
Indeed sometimes EX does not matter.

For example the P1 Triss statue which has quite possibly the worst EX I have ever seen.

i dont know this is pretty terrible also

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/dc-comics-suicide-squad-batman-statue-prime1-studio-silo-9030481.png

Comicbookguy
06-06-2017, 08:24 PM
So many lame ex out there now but when ss treats us on a very rare occasion with a ex or fail. Wished ss would be more consistent on a good ex instead of the easy way out tonsave labor and money. My examples of sideshow ex or big fails:

Superb ex!

Ms marvel
Cap marve
Gator guy
lepord girl
Bane
New Sonja was a pleasant surprise in person. He axe is massive!
1st Sonja minus the terrible paint job.
Joker
Superman
Batman
Wonder Woman barely made it but the axe does look great.
Snake eyes com
Etc...

dafadcariad
06-07-2017, 12:16 AM

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/dc-comics-suicide-squad-batman-statue-prime1-studio-silo-9030481.png

Those are good examples however I personally think neither hold a candle to the paper bag ex.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/hipersensitive/marvel-black-cat_zps4qys7tjj.jpg

Ryanbusts
06-07-2017, 01:10 AM
Those are good examples however I personally think neither hold a candle to the paper bag ex.

What? You didn't remember that whole hyperventilating phase. Ahh..... that high anxiety Black Cat.

SAB380
06-07-2017, 01:38 AM
My 2 favorite Sideshow PF's also had EX's I didn't bother getting.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom - chilled Monkey brains goblet that was not part of the statue

Arnie Conan - fathers sword that was not part of the statue

Both utterly pointless.
At least Black Cat's paperbag gave you a swap out option!

dafadcariad
06-07-2017, 02:54 AM
What? You didn't remember that whole hyperventilating phase. Ahh..... that high anxiety Black Cat.

:laugh:

Well, in that case the Ex is a must! I stand corrected. ;)

dafadcariad
06-07-2017, 03:00 AM
My 2 favorite Sideshow PF's also had EX's I didn't bother getting.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom - chilled Monkey brains goblet that was not part of the statue

Arnie Conan - fathers sword that was not part of the statue

Both utterly pointless.
At least Black Cat's paperbag gave you a swap out option!

I agree that some of the best EX's are ones that can be described as useless. One of my favourite lesser-known ones that SS did was the Bigfoot exclusive...a casting of a footprint. Yup, an actual Big foot. Classic! :D

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/assets/products/3000591-bigfoot/lg/3000591-bigfoot-004.jpg

Comicbookguy
06-07-2017, 03:35 AM

:iagree: who woukd ever displayed that face mask for the ex batman? It's a useless ex part imo.

Also terrible ex examples:

The upcoming leatherface with a tiny hammer on the base.

Catwoman with the tiny bag

Blue canary with a piece of paper on the base

Kylo ren with the closed saber on his belt.

Batgirl with a small trim on the lower hair with the same face sculpt as white queen..

The art director who approved these needs to be replaced or moved to a different department. Ss can do so much better.

Killer Instinct
06-07-2017, 04:33 AM
I can sympathize with Bob, sometimes it feels strange paying the same amount of money for a regular when with the same amount you would have got an EX. But like many people said it really depends on each individual statue and how you plan to display them.

My suggestion would be get on the BST group on facebook and post what you want and what price and you may find people interested in letting theirs go.

In the end I don't think SS really cares if people miss out on a ES they can't just lump sum the entire ES because many people would be turned off with an even higher ES than we already have from SS which most of the time is too high anyways.

People learn from missing out on a EX of a piece being indecisive so afterwards you know to pull the trigger on the next one so you don't miss out on it. Just remember if you didn't get something that means more money is in your pocket and that's not a bad thing. The only pieces that are hard to come by are low ES ones from the old SS days and even those come up every once and a while, you just need to be patient and be at the right place at the right time.