PDA

View Full Version : Repacking statues !!!

john.van
07-14-2017, 05:34 PM
So I got toddlers running,climbing,touching everything they can reach,so I need to put away my collection until they know better.The statues used to come with a thin styrofoam sheet,that would break very easy, one time use type of thing.
So what's the best option repacking them ? Plastic bags ? Does it matter if it's clear or black ?

Thanks

PermaGrin
07-14-2017, 06:04 PM
You talking about (making) the foam inserts or the paper sheet sometimes wrapped around them?

Unsure on "thin styrofoam sheets".

Kovenor
07-14-2017, 06:16 PM
ive requested for sideshow to include pieces of paper to show how and where to put the pieces back when repacking but they still havent done this... such a pain in the ass having to go look up and find unpacking videos just to see where the parts go back to... takes literally a few cents to print off a paper just showing us where they go but no.. thats too much to ask apparently, when your spending hundreds and sometimes thousands on a piece.. o.O

pdenham
07-14-2017, 07:09 PM
if you are just taking them down for a couple years, and not shipping an reselling them- whatever you can't find a place for in the original boxes can be wrapped up in several layers of bubble wrap and then packed carefully in empty cardboard boxes (get them from the liquor store- they have tons), and just stashed in the attic/closet/basement whatever.

Go to an office supply store and buy a huge roll or two of bubble wrap. As long as you have an out of the way spot where the boxes won't get disturbed, you should be fine.
Shipping them that way would be another story, but storing shouldn't.

TRDNiteLife
07-14-2017, 07:17 PM
... takes literally a few cents to print off a paper just showing us where they go but no.. thats too much to ask apparently, when your spending hundreds and sometimes thousands on a piece.. o.O

Also takes $0.00 to take a picture with your cell phone when unpacking the item.

john.van
07-14-2017, 07:23 PM
Thanks guys,I'm talking about a protection between the statue and the styrofoam.

ob1ob
07-14-2017, 07:25 PM
ive requested for sideshow to include pieces of paper to show how and where to put the pieces back when repacking but they still havent done this... such a pain in the ass having to go look up and find unpacking videos just to see where the parts go back to... takes literally a few cents to print off a paper just showing us where they go but no.. thats too much to ask apparently, when your spending hundreds and sometimes thousands on a piece.. o.O
:goodpost:
Agreed! I'm quitting collecting and planning on selling most of my collection. In hindsight taking pics while unpacking sure would have been a good idea.

TRDNiteLife
07-14-2017, 07:33 PM
Thanks guys,I'm talking about a protection between the statue and the styrofoam.

Uline sells foam rolls if you want a similar material. Honestly, if you are just storing the items, packing them straight into the styrofoam should be fine.

Kovenor
07-14-2017, 07:37 PM
Also takes $0.00 to take a picture with your cell phone when unpacking the item.

Yea and then I need to track down those photos years down the road... trust me I've tried that. It's not a good option.

TRDNiteLife
07-14-2017, 07:43 PM
Yea and then I need to track down those photos years down the road... trust me I've tried that. It's not a good option.

I'll only say one more thing about this. The key is organization. My steps below:

1. Open to unpack.
2. Take picture with cell phone.
3. Email photo to myself.
4. Save on computer.
5. Save in a structured file folder manner.

This really only takes a couple minutes and will save future headaches forever. It may not be for everyone, but it works well for me. I've never had anything I could not re-pack and the reference pictures are always easy to find. :)

Kovenor
07-14-2017, 07:48 PM
I'll only say one more thing about this. The key is organization. My steps below:

1. Open to unpack.
2. Take picture with cell phone.
3. Email photo to myself.
4. Save on computer.
5. Save in a structured file folder manner.

This really only takes a couple minutes and will save future headaches forever. It may not be for everyone, but it works well for me. I've never had anything I could not re-pack and the reference pictures are always easy to find. :)

sure but its alot of work for something that could simply be done by sideshow and should have been done a long time ago... XM does it and its wonderful... also when you unbox the item, everything is wrapped up in paper so its hard to tell where things go still unless you literally unwrap everything and put it back in the packaging but once again, an unnecessary hassle... the XM one shows clearly where things go without being covered with paper and whatever else.

PermaGrin
07-14-2017, 09:05 PM
I bought a pack of office/crafts tissue paper, like you see for gift bags. Whenever I repack them, I just rewrapped them. Something about heat and foam/plastic sitting against painted resin for an extra period of time just put a worry in my head.

Also at the craft store, I picked up a small roll of foam. When I repacked mine for storage/moving I went the extra step of updating some of the padding, along with the new wrap.

pdenham
07-14-2017, 09:54 PM

Oh, I get it now.

Definitely NEVER use a colored or black plastic to wrap anything in. Always use clear.

Don't know where they would sell the thin foam that SS uses. I'm sure you could find it online with a little searching.

kharlamov
07-14-2017, 10:26 PM
As far as repackaging positions I use this to help me:

www.sideshowtoy.com/product-instructions

Since they do a bunch of videos on assembly, those help out a lot.

As far as protection from Styrofoam Joann fabric has some soft fluffy fabric you can get :).

sith_apprentice
07-15-2017, 07:06 PM
It's also a good idea to photograph it ASAP, just for insurance purposes. All my photos are backed up in case of theft or fire.

TRDNiteLife
07-15-2017, 07:48 PM
It's also a good idea to photograph it ASAP, just for insurance purposes. All my photos are backed up in case of theft or fire.

There is that also. Once my collection hit a certain value, I got a collectibles insurance policy. Very inexpensive considering the limits and coverage. :thumbs2:

WolverineFan
07-15-2017, 08:53 PM
There is that also. Once my collection hit a certain value, I got a collectibles insurance policy. Very inexpensive considering the limits and coverage. :thumbs2:

I'm curious, how much is the insurance? Because I should really have it myself

john.van
07-17-2017, 04:59 PM
I'm curious, how much is the insurance? Because I should really have it myself

https://collectinsure.com/

Killer Instinct
07-17-2017, 06:18 PM

:iagree: