PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy switch out options for your statues?

Indomitus
09-21-2017, 04:14 PM
So I was think in a post statue apocalyptic world where finances were indeed tight but statue companies wanted to stick around and so needed to scale down both prices and statue sizes, what if they offered accessories options, alternate heads, hands, feet, or even butts for our favorite statues? Imagine if you could invigorate that statue that has been collecting dust and migrating to the bottom recesses of your collection? I know I feel a sense of renewal when I switch out some of the options.

So my question would be which old statue would you like to see something added to and what would it be? Maybe this would strike an iron with Sideshow and the other companies.

For me I would really like to see an unmasked head for the old Storm Shadow Polystone Statue, maybe a hand holding shuriken, a hand holding a decapitated head (Zartan?), or even 2 thumbs up. Here is the piece I am talking about.

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectibles/g-i-joe-storm-shadow-sideshow-collectibles-200201/

You?

jeremydmc
09-21-2017, 04:22 PM
A new head for my Supergirl PF. I actually like the one it is has but would like to have another option for the hair. My friends that come over don't get the floating in space look of it now. Some even wonder why she is under water.

I replied once that she had a hot date with Aquaman...........I need to read the room better next time. LOL

Mister H
09-21-2017, 04:31 PM
Not a bad idea for variety. I wouldn't want a lot of detachable parts on a statue though. When I think of sculptures, I think of one solid piece. When they have a lot of removable parts then they are more like action figures to me. A different head or hand holding something is fine but anything more than that and there will be too many seams in the sculpt. Just my opinion though.

adee
09-21-2017, 04:35 PM
I'm not big on switch outs. Given the choice I'd rather not have them at all. I don't mind them as much when they're completely seamless but I hate visible seams.

Not sure if I'd buy stuff for statues I have. I guess it would all depend on how good it looked and how much it cost.

QX403
09-21-2017, 05:01 PM
I would if they were nice. I've contimplated doing a couple of molds such as Captain Marvels head and making her a mask with a Mowhawk, Gamora's hand and sword and giving her one for her front arm, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

dechirico7
09-22-2017, 05:35 PM
Yes and I do.

supermetroid
09-22-2017, 05:43 PM
A good idea in theory but I could see companies taking advantage of customers. For example, releasing a good portrait with the statue, then soon after selling a better one.

Comicbookguy
09-22-2017, 05:56 PM
Yes I want! Mostly coh's! Especially super girl, the magic girl, a unmasked female Thor, unmasked Vader, unmasked batgirl, unmasked catwoman, but never a unasked boba fett. Yuck!

nbr3bagshotrow
09-22-2017, 05:58 PM
No.

QX403
09-22-2017, 06:01 PM
Yes I want! Mostly coh's! Especially super girl, the magic girl, a unmasked female Thor, unmasked Vader, unmasked batgirl, unmasked catwoman, but never a unasked boba fett. Yuck!

It's not really possible unless they have switch out heads and some of them don't , unless you break the statue which isn't generally a good idea.

Comicbookguy
09-22-2017, 07:02 PM
It's not really possible unless they have switch out heads and some of them don't , unless you break the statue which isn't generally a good idea.

Ok true... I forgot some has a non removable head. Then in that case please just have will Harbottle sculpt is a new supergirl and I will be happy. :smokin: please ss Alex let master Will see this post.

QX403
09-22-2017, 07:04 PM
Ok true... I forgot some has a non removable head. Then in that case please just have will Harbottle sculpt is a new supergirl and I will be happy. :smokin: please ss Alex let master Will see this post.

SS super girl didn't do it for me either, FFG super girl looks promising but some people don't like 1/6th.

Comicbookguy
09-22-2017, 07:09 PM
SS super girl didn't do it for me either, FFG super girl looks promising but some people don't like 1/6th.

After seeing the tweeterhead version with her hair down and the new bishojuo versions. I really want one with her hair down. She's such an amazing character and it's so sad I don't have a statue of her I really like. However if will does one I will already know it's going to be the best sg ever made for me and many others who wants one. Steve who did ww would be a really great person to do her as well! SS the fans have spoken!

risingstar
09-22-2017, 07:21 PM
Yes, I would, and I have several times. :)

QX403
09-22-2017, 07:39 PM
After seeing the tweeterhead version with her hair down and the new bishojuo versions. I really want one with her hair down. She's such an amazing character and it's so sad I don't have a statue of her I really like. However if will does one I will already know it's going to be the best sg ever made for me and many others who wants one. Steve who did ww would be a really great person to do her as well! SS the fans have spoken!

The tweeter head statue is nice but she looks more like Superwoman than Supergirl which is nice because they never make Superwoman statues. Although she has dark hair and isn't blonde, would be an easy repainted to make one.

I'm surprised Artgerms Supergirl came out that way, it doesn't look anything like his prints which is a little disappointing.

tormentedbliss
09-23-2017, 11:31 AM
I WOULD RATHER HAVE ONE SOLID STATUE, NO SWITCH OUTS

gomur
09-24-2017, 12:34 AM
A good idea in theory but I could see companies taking advantage of customers. For example, releasing a good portrait with the statue, then soon after selling a better one.

Agreed. Too much room for abuse. Intentionally short-changing the main product to milk consumers soon after. Like some DLC in video games.

zuko3984
09-24-2017, 02:18 AM

I could definitely see companies doing this. In fact i kind of feel like Prime 1 did this with the 1/3 Batman Arkham Knight statue. They released it with only one portrait then went on to sell a set of three additional portraits. I feel like the statue should have come with at least one of those additional portraits if not all three. Still love the statue but will always be annoyed that it didn't come with the unmasked portrait and if i want it I have to pay $200 more to get it.

Xaerius
09-24-2017, 11:56 AM
I WOULD RATHER HAVE ONE SOLID STATUE, NO SWITCH OUTS

I agree but if a given statue isn't a solid piece, I'd prefer to have all offered switch-outs included because I could see the crazy abuse that this could cause.

Armored_Berserk
09-24-2017, 01:05 PM
I guess switch out parts bought apart from statue would be like DLC to video games, a maner to offer less contents for the same price and make more money with additional content...that should be there in the first place.

So yes...I vote clearly no.

Ryanbusts
09-24-2017, 04:40 PM
Absolutely.
I want a bearded Thor for my Modern PF primarily atm.
Aquaman holding Black Mantas helmet.
The list can go on.

It would be kinda cool if they let the fans vote for one swap out for each piece, that would come with the standard version.

It would be even better if they got rid of the EX versions all together.

Comicbookguy
09-24-2017, 05:14 PM
Absolutely.
I want a bearded Thor for my Modern PF primarily atm.
Aquaman holding Black Mantas helmet.
The list can go on.

It would be kinda cool if they let the fans vote for one swap out for each piece, that would come with the standard version.

It would be even better if they got rid of the EX versions all together.

Please no! No ex means no buy from ss and they would go out of business. People would buy from shops to save a bigger discount with incentives to go through ss. I would say the ex from ss needs to all improve like bane, leopard lady, gator guy, all colored turtles, and all others with a ex or fail. These are prime examples of a superb ex!

COI
09-24-2017, 07:05 PM
I would pay more to have pieces come in one or two solid pieces (figure and base) like actual sculptures, and not with multiple switch-outs like some kind of statue/toy hybrid compromising the flow of the sculpts. That's just me though and I'm guessing I'm in the minority.

Darth Madden
09-24-2017, 07:50 PM

But they do that now and sell you an entire new statue. :)

Ryanbusts
09-24-2017, 08:44 PM
I would pay more to have pieces come in one or two solid pieces (figure and base) like actual sculptures, and not with multiple switch-outs like some kind of statue/toy hybrid compromising the flow of the sculpts. That's just me though and I'm guessing I'm in the minority.

No. Your most definitely not. I would rather having a solid-complete sculpt. An actual statue as opposed to these "statue kits" we are accustomed to.

Darth Madden
09-24-2017, 09:19 PM
For the price of these they better have extra accessories. If you want a 1 piece statue just glue it together... done.

Parallax
09-24-2017, 09:24 PM
Personally there's nothing I hate more than looking at the shelf holding all of the extra statue parts I don't use. I will never put the long eared head on the Batman PF. I'll never take away Hal's lantern. I'm not going to pay more money to increase the amount of (expensive!) items that are gathering dust on a shelf. Instead of selling me a head and hand that turns the character I own into a different version of that character, sell me a statue of that version. I can tell you I'd much rather have two Aquaman statues than have to keep switching between two looks that I like. Make a regular Aquaman, make a 90's Aquaman. I'd prefer that sort of thing as opposed to having to make the choice. That's just me though. I know not everyone wants multiple statues of one character. I have 2 Green Lanterns, 4 Batmans, and 3 Daredevils. I'm all about multiples of my favorites and I'm all about showing them in as many ways as possible.

COI
09-24-2017, 09:51 PM
For the price of these they better have extra accessories. If you want a 1 piece statue just glue it together... done.

If you want accessories, buy Hot Toys. Done.

What I want for the prices we pay are amazing sculpts with great paint jobs and QC, high quality materials (metals instead of plastic), good engineering and build quality, reasonable edition sizes, good packing materials, and good customer service.

There is this mindset in the hobby that value for your money = more parts, light=ups and ridiculous giant bases. There are other ways to get value for your money. I'll take simple, elegant and perfectly executed pieces over transforming sculpts, a dozen parts that will either clutter your display area like debris or sit in the box most of the time, light-ups that you'll actually light up less frequently than Christmas lights, and giant distracting bases that are impossible to fit next to each other.

It's cool if that's the stuff you guys like, but there are other ways to get value for your money.

OrangeCrush
09-25-2017, 08:52 AM
The only switch out's I care about are switch out portraits and IMO, at the price range were already at, I think all Premium Format statues should come with switch out portraits.

As for the idea of selling switch out options for the statues separately, I really have no interest in it. Even if switch out portraits were offered as options I would likely pass as the price would likely be too high. I wont buy a statue unless it has a portrait I like and buying a statue that doesnt have a portrait I like with the intention of buying another portrait separately would only add that much more to the prices were already paying.

If you want accessories, buy Hot Toys. Done.

What I want for the prices we pay are amazing sculpts with great paint jobs and QC, high quality materials (metals instead of plastic), good engineering and build quality, reasonable edition sizes, good packing materials, and good customer service.

There is this mindset in the hobby that value for your money = more parts, light=ups and ridiculous giant bases. There are other ways to get value for your money. I'll take simple, elegant and perfectly executed pieces over transforming sculpts, a dozen parts that will either clutter your display area like debris or sit in the box most of the time, light-ups that you'll actually light up less frequently than Christmas lights, and giant distracting bases that are impossible to fit next to each other.

It's cool if that's the stuff you guys like, but there are other ways to get value for your money.

:goodpost:

Y3E
09-25-2017, 09:09 AM
Every company that sells switchouts should offer something to place them in. Having extra parts is a pain in the @ss as they just sit in on the shelf.

OrangeCrush
09-25-2017, 09:50 AM
Every company that sells switchouts should offer something to place them in. Having extra parts is a pain in the @ss as they just sit in on the shelf.

For those intersted, I came up with a great system for storing extras, even switch out portraits, as I hate storing extras on the shelves with my statues and since I threw away all of my boxes and styrofoam, I had to come up with some sort of storage system. I wound up using a restored old steamer trunk along with the bottom of Light Impressions TruCore Print boxes (18 x 24 x 3) filled with Pick & Pluck foam. The bottom of the boxes fit almost perfectly in the trunk. I attach 2 cloth handles to the sides of each box which makes them easy to pull out. I currently have 5 of them inside the trunk, but there is enough room to add a couple more if the time ever comes where I need more storage space, which is highly unlikely given that its unlikely I will ever fill up the 5 boxes I already have. I also use an 18 x 24 x 4 piece of solid foam at the very bottom to give them a bit more protection if I ever happen to move the trunk.

Given most people dont have old steamer trunks laying around, but one can easily buy brand new trunks from a variety of different stores, in a variety of different sizes. And Light Impressions Tru Core print boxes come in a bunch of different sizes. So you could really do any size trunk you wanted ranging from 8.5 x 11 all the way up to 20 x 24. And they don't have to fit perfectly as you could just use more foam to fill up any extra space if the dimensions are off by a few inches.

Here is the link to Light Impressions True Core Boxes:

http://www.lightimpressionsdirect.com/product_images/large/Tan%20Dropfront%20Large.jpg

http://www.lightimpressionsdirect.com/tan-truecore-dropfront-box-18-x-24-x-3/flat-photo-storage-boxes/

And here is a link where you can buy pick and pluck foam in any size you want.

http://www.caseclub.com/pick-and-pluck-foam.htm?gclid=CjwKCAjw0qLOBRBUEiwAMG5xMG8INqTE7DlO30B92yLjqvbpiXSxQ27LFyZ-zaYCP3bkWwMgJh7anBoCkOMQAvD_BwE

Here is the layout for the foam I purchased (3 layers per box):

https://i.imgur.com/u4vv0ZL.png

and the layout for the layer of foam at the very bottom of the trunk:

https://i.imgur.com/VogbLvW.png

3" depth with pick and pluck foam is more than enough to safely store all of your statue extra's including switch out portraits. I keep all my portraits stored at the very top since those are the only extra's I really ever switch out.

All in all, its a great system as all your statues extras are stored in one place and you can get to any of your statues extra's in no time at all. And again you could do this in a variety of different sizes.

sith_apprentice
09-25-2017, 06:06 PM
Honestly I'd rather have smaller, cheaper statues. My ideal is a Kotobukiya 1/7th, which is around 12 inches, 150 dollar or so range. I rarely buy Sideshow or the higher ends because of both size and price. I've sold 2 Sideshow and am just down to three (Madame HYDRA, Elektra Storm Shadow), and am contemplating selling my Sidious Legendary Scale Bust.

Hurricane Harvey just kind of put it all in perspective for me, so I'm going with smaller statues and mini-busts, and making quite a bit of bank selling some of the larger, more expensive pieces.

Indomitus
09-26-2017, 02:31 PM
This idea about offering additional switch outs would be meant for pieces that already come as such and not requiring modifications.

I find it interesting to see some of the concern regarding companies taking advantage of customers with this type of product offering. What ever happened to speaking with our wallets or maybe just take a knee at your local comic store and not buy? If this is not a form of checks and balances then what is? What is this mysterious force that keeps companies from finding new and improved ways of financially gouging us if not that? Protest with signs and chants?

Really, I think companies are going to use some level of freedom to offer a product or service that will sell.

Part of my thought process here is that there will come a point where this Shangri-La of statue collecting of multiple expensive pieces will come to an end and at some point you will need to figure out how to enjoy that dust bunny nest you have all over your domicile of statues sitting on thrones, cutting up projectiles in mid air, and sporting new wave green hair cuts just to name a few. :)

I understand if some folks want multiples of the same characters, but the concept of switch outs already exists and maybe for the sake of shipping in some cases.

Since when are we deathly afraid of options? Big Brother can only hold your hand for so long until it begins pulling you along and you find you are really holding Big Brothers hand.

:soapb:

I vote for offering switch outs! :D

OrangeCrush
09-30-2017, 02:32 PM
This idea about offering additional switch outs would be meant for pieces that already come as such and not requiring modifications.

I find it interesting to see some of the concern regarding companies taking advantage of customers with this type of product offering. What ever happened to speaking with our wallets or maybe just take a knee at your local comic store and not buy? If this is not a form of checks and balances then what is? What is this mysterious force that keeps companies from finding new and improved ways of financially gouging us if not that? Protest with signs and chants?

Really, I think companies are going to use some level of freedom to offer a product or service that will sell.

Part of my thought process here is that there will come a point where this Shangri-La of statue collecting of multiple expensive pieces will come to an end and at some point you will need to figure out how to enjoy that dust bunny nest you have all over your domicile of statues sitting on thrones, cutting up projectiles in mid air, and sporting new wave green hair cuts just to name a few. :)

I understand if some folks want multiples of the same characters, but the concept of switch outs already exists and maybe for the sake of shipping in some cases.

Since when are we deathly afraid of options? Big Brother can only hold your hand for so long until it begins pulling you along and you find you are really holding Big Brothers hand.

:soapb:

I vote for offering switch outs! :D

I think some people would be afraid of the kind of thing you have seen happen with videogames, where developers start selling items separately that would have been included in the game prior to add ons. In such a market, would comapnies like Sideshow stop giving switch out portraits for EX's and start charging for them? Its impossible to say, but that is the kind of thing I think many people fear with this business model.

As for speaking with your wallet, according to the Entertainment Software Association, which releases a whole slew of gaming statistics every year, only around 50% of gamers actually buy add ons for games so you have a case where roughly 50% of the market is not supporting such selling practices yet it still has become the dominant model for selling games today because their still making significantly more money even at that percentage of the market. So even if a lot of people said no by voted with their wallets, that doesnt mean the market will turn the way they want it.