PDA

View Full Version : Who's getting the Swamp Thing Maquette?

FROBAY
10-26-2017, 10:07 PM
Who's getting one?

I hope I covered all the poll options.

Joel
10-26-2017, 10:32 PM
Who's getting one?

Hey Fro can you please add: "Was planning on PO'ing but changed mind due to Vinyl bombshell"

jac1066
10-26-2017, 10:45 PM
#vinylgate

Ryanbusts
10-26-2017, 10:57 PM
Who's getting one?

Perfect and Thanks!

Tbolt
10-26-2017, 11:01 PM
Hey Fro can you please add: "Was planning on PO'ing but changed mind due to Vinyl bombshell"

That’s me, if you add it.

I was super stoked (posted as such), read the comments about the vinyl dj figure and went and read the description closely. Went from elation to disappointment. Now I know how my wife feels.

FROBAY
10-26-2017, 11:03 PM
That’s me, if you add it.

I was super stoked (posted as such), read the comments about the vinyl dj figure and went and read the description closely. Went from elation to disappointment. Now I know how my wife feels.

I figure the first NO option covers it as the second no says swampy isn't for me.

Kinda late to add that because I bet most the people voting in the first no would have ordered a polystone swampy

SONICobra
10-26-2017, 11:03 PM
until someone can tell me I have absolutely nothing to worry about and why its a very unfortunate pass, I still love the statue though so I wont say "never"

WAS a day one order :(

Tbolt
10-26-2017, 11:19 PM
Yeah Fro, the first no is what I picked and agreed. I too would have been a day one. I love SS, but I don’t have unlimited faith in them.

Parallax
10-26-2017, 11:21 PM
I don't pay for materials, I pay for someone's hard work and time bringing my favorite characters to life. I'm not a polystone collector. Show me one instance of polystone statues looking anywhere near as detailed as this Swamp Thing is and I won't buy it. I actually feel better about my purchase knowing it's going to be cast in a material that guarantees as perfect of a replication as you can get. I saw him at NYCC, I know what he looks like in person and now I know that's what I'm going to get. I'll be reminded that it's light weight every few months when I make adjustments. I'll be reminded that it's not polystone every time I accidentally bump it and one of the millions of tiny spikes and fins on his body isn't snapped off. I'll be reminded that it's not polystone when it arrives in one piece and my box isn't filled with green dust because this statue literally looks like it's made of vines from the inside out. What I've learned today is that one of the statues I've been most excited for is going to look exactly how I wanted it to look in my collection. I'm sure everyone looking at the pictures of him was thinking "wow, he looks like a polystone statue!" and not "wow, he looks like a great statue!" I'm sure everyone's excitement about this piece wasn't over how he looked, but what he was made out of. I personally think it's foolish to think that polystone or any type of resin is superior to the others because the majority are made that way.

Legion564
10-26-2017, 11:22 PM
Is this because polystone has the word stone in it so people think it's more expensive or worth more?

Tbolt
10-26-2017, 11:24 PM
What you saw on display is cast out of resin and not indicative of the final product.

Bet you are one of the many thrilled with their Wolf LSB purchase...

Parallax
10-26-2017, 11:25 PM
Collectibles aren't valuable unless the statue fairy sprinkles marble dust into the cast to make it more susceptible to cracks, fractures, and breakage. Nothing says prime quality like accidentally bumping into your $600 investment and snapping his hand off.

FROBAY
10-26-2017, 11:26 PM
Yeah Fro, the first no is what I picked and agreed. I too would have been a day one. I love SS, but I don’t have unlimited faith in them.

If this is the future of Sideshow products, I will save a lot of money. I'm an old school collector and prefer the solid feel of polystone in my statue. I'm sure Sideshow will still sell plenty of these in vinyl. Everyday there are new collectors coming to this hobby.

After holding and examining the Vinyl Wolf Predator Bust
and comparing it with the previous Sideshow Predator busts in my collection there was such a big difference in look and feel. It made me so sick, I felt ripped off.

Parallax
10-26-2017, 11:27 PM
What you saw on display is cast out of resin and not indicative of the final product.

Bet you are one of the many thrilled with their Wolf LSB purchase...

Vinyl is stronger than resin so I'm fine with that.

Ryanbusts
10-26-2017, 11:27 PM
If it wasn't 800$ and Sideshow straight up said it was going to be plastic like an action figure or POP, there would be far less outrage. But they waited til right before PO.
That's a straight kick in the nards for some of us.
Me being a ST fan and looking forward since the teaser, would still be heated if we knew it was plastic since day 1 because of the "WTF SS really" factor. Even though when I first heard the news I knew it was a deal breaker.

Tbolt
10-26-2017, 11:29 PM
Vinyl is stronger than resin so I'm fine with that.

And all the very strong vinyl statues they have produced to date have been absolute crap, so congratulations on your purchase. I hope for you, this is the ONE they get right.

Josh-a-tron
10-26-2017, 11:37 PM
Is this because polystone has the word stone in it so people think it's more expensive or worth more?

No, its because thry add stone powder to it, its what gives its texture.

Parallax
10-26-2017, 11:38 PM
I'm pretty sure Skeletor is mostly PVC and looks amazing.

aa909
10-26-2017, 11:46 PM
Collectibles aren't valuable unless the statue fairy sprinkles marble dust into the cast to make it more susceptible to cracks, fractures, and breakage. Nothing says prime quality like accidentally bumping into your $600 investment and snapping his hand off.

sure, you can say that about cars too. They can make all the exterior panels out of PVC instead of steel and aluminum.. oh wait they did that with Saturns... someone remind me what happened there LOL!!

Ryanbusts
10-26-2017, 11:48 PM
Lol
Man I loved those commercials.

Hey what kind of car is that?

Iko Iko
10-27-2017, 01:17 AM
I think the bigger issue is the price in conjunction with the material. Look, if this was $400-500 and people knew it was vinyl, I personally believe there would be more interest. Personally, I just don't want to pay so much money for a product made out of that material. I'd pay the $800 if this was polystone.

Eky
10-27-2017, 02:41 AM
I don't pay for materials, I pay for someone's hard work and time bringing my favorite characters to life. I'm not a polystone collector. Show me one instance of polystone statues looking anywhere near as detailed as this Swamp Thing is and I won't buy it. I actually feel better about my purchase knowing it's going to be cast in a material that guarantees as perfect of a replication as you can get. I saw him at NYCC, I know what he looks like in person and now I know that's what I'm going to get. I'll be reminded that it's light weight every few months when I make adjustments. I'll be reminded that it's not polystone every time I accidentally bump it and one of the millions of tiny spikes and fins on his body isn't snapped off. I'll be reminded that it's not polystone when it arrives in one piece and my box isn't filled with green dust because this statue literally looks like it's made of vines from the inside out. What I've learned today is that one of the statues I've been most excited for is going to look exactly how I wanted it to look in my collection. I'm sure everyone looking at the pictures of him was thinking "wow, he looks like a polystone statue!" and not "wow, he looks like a great statue!" I'm sure everyone's excitement about this piece wasn't over how he looked, but what he was made out of. I personally think it's foolish to think that polystone or any type of resin is superior to the others because the majority are made that way.

I think the bigger issue is the price in conjunction with the material. Look, if this was $400-500 and people knew it was vinyl, I personally believe there would be more interest. Personally, I just don't want to pay so much money for a product made out of that material. I'd pay the $800 if this was polystone.

I agree with you both

but in the end have to take a decision and for now it's no.

could change but to sum it up it's really hard to put that amount of money in vinyl/pvc.
whatever art it is.

Makes me think of Jeff Koons and modern / contemporary art.

SolidLiquidFox
10-27-2017, 05:16 AM
The Prime 1 version just became a more desirable piece.

BlackestNight
10-27-2017, 05:43 AM
As stated in the other thread, I will PO day 1, statue looks great, absolutely can't wait.

Thegameman2011
10-27-2017, 06:36 AM
I have a few plastic or pvc statues from koto for just as long as I have sideshow Pollystone. I can tell you that I have never had an issue with plastic, but have had several issues with polystone statues both once shipped to me and even years later. Who really knows which is better for the longevity of these collectibles, but I think I may be ok with vynil. Not to say that it’s for everyone but if it makes the piece look as good as the proto I might be in.

Slamboni
10-27-2017, 06:51 AM
I ordered Prime 1's Swamp Thing last night...... just sayin

Malvo
10-27-2017, 08:09 AM
This was to be a Day 1 pre-order, but I'm holding off until photo's of the final product are available and I can see how they compare to the prototype. Even with that, I'll more than like hold off until an upcoming Spooktacular when it's 30% off and comes with free shipping.

Sandman585
10-27-2017, 08:48 AM
until someone can tell me I have absolutely nothing to worry about and why its a very unfortunate pass, I still love the statue though so I wont say "never"

WAS a day one order :(

exactly how i feel

Sandman585
10-27-2017, 09:20 AM
The Prime 1 version just became a more desirable piece.

Except for the price. That's a big hit. I could grab a new MacBook for that. Ugh this whole vinyl thing really sucks. I was fine with it until I read about the Predator fiasco. No way I am taking a gamble on it now. I'm a bit surprised with all the noise that has been going on now between three threads on this forum NO ONE from SS has chimed in.

Nugchompa
10-27-2017, 09:27 AM
It appears 3% of the 3% are getting it.

Malvo
10-27-2017, 09:33 AM
Except for the price. That's a big hit. I could grab a new MacBook for that. Ugh this whole vinyl thing really sucks. I was fine with it until I read about the Predator fiasco. No way I am taking a gamble on it now. I'm a bit surprised with all the noise that has been going on now between three threads on this forum NO ONE from SS has chimed in.

Why start now? They been silent about the composition of this statue since its SDCC reveal and in the subsequent month's that they've been hyping it.

Mr. Nice Guy
10-27-2017, 09:41 AM
It appears 3% of the 3% are getting it.

that's...that's like 0.0009%! That's...OH MY GOD!

SONICobra
10-27-2017, 10:02 AM

yeah $1200 is pretty much my personal limit on these things, anything more than that is a little nutty. really unfortunate scenario on this, easy order to easy pass *for now*

i mean look at this majestic thing, why SS - WHYYYYYYYY???

http://www.statueforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=109026&d=1509112957

http://www.statueforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=109027&d=1509112957

http://www.statueforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=109028&d=1509112957

generalzodlives
10-27-2017, 10:05 AM
I'd considered getting this even though I also ordered the Prime one since they're different takes on the character, but the vinyl in Sideshow's makes it an easy pass.

Mr. Nice Guy
10-27-2017, 10:06 AM
it is done

built2shred
10-27-2017, 10:11 AM

Don't forget you can take it off the shelf and play with it on the floor with all the other plastic toys. :thumbs2:

Kidding aside, some people just prefer the look of a stone finish vs the shiny look of plastic for their "Statues". There is a fine line between A Statue and a Toy with some of these materials.

Malvo
10-27-2017, 10:12 AM
yeah $1200 is pretty much my personal limit on these things, anything more than that is a little nutty. really unfortunate scenario on this, easy order to easy pass *for now*

i mean look at this majestic thing, why SS - WHYYYYYYYY???

http://www.statueforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=109028&d=1509112957

That's the money shot right there. I've been waiting all week to order this masterpiece......what a letdown.

Sandman585
10-27-2017, 10:23 AM
Definitely a let down. I told my wife last night I most likely won't be pre ordering this and she was like WHAT its all you've talked about. I showed her some Wolf Predator youtube vids and she was like that looks awful. Haha and she could literally care less about these.

fdileague
10-27-2017, 10:37 AM

I think that if there was a proportionate cost reduction due to materials used I would be a buyer. You can't charge the same Polystone price for cheaper (in cost) materials. Just because it's BIG doesn't mean it's QUALITY.

To me...and it's just a personal opinion....I think the paint is muddy on this and not enough contrast for me. I get that he is a part of the swamp, therefore, should blend with his surroundings. Just my personal taste. I have seen it in person as well.

DPmaster
10-27-2017, 10:42 AM
I'm going to play Devil's advocate for a second. So question is what happens if, and it's a BIG IF, the production piece looks exactly like the prototype? Would you guys buy it then after it's released with in-hand pics that look just like the proto?

FriendlySamurai
10-27-2017, 10:43 AM

PVC is just as susceptible to cracks and chips with time. It starts off soft but as it ages can become brittle. I’ve gotten chips in pvc anime figures Ive knocked off my shelf. They chip even in places you wouldnt think.

qz33
10-27-2017, 10:52 AM
Guys PVC and vinyl can be formulated to last decades and decades.
Most collectors' history with PVC are those same big eyed anime figures made to varying standards.

If vinyls can yield superior final products then it makes sense that it would be Sideshow pioneering the mass production effort and hopefully customer feedback leads them in the right direction. The production of this stuff has to change in some way because the industry can't continue as is.

I don't think anyone should PO this statue BUT I would never rule out that I would want it before I see what the factory actually produces.

NorthernLadMSP
10-27-2017, 10:56 AM
I don't care about the character at all, but this still looks like a very nice piece. P1's looks awesome too.

aa909
10-27-2017, 10:57 AM
Most collectors' history with PVC are those same big eyed anime figures made to varying standards.

If vinyls can yield superior final products then it makes sense that it would be Sideshow pioneering the mass production effort and hopefully customer feedback leads them in the right direction. The production of this stuff has to change in some way because the industry can't continue as is.

I don't think anyone should PO this statue BUT I would never rule out that I would want it before I see what the factory actually produces.

If that were the case, then how is Prime 1 able to make a Swamp Thing in polystone at an even larger scale than SS??

IMO this isn't about "superiority" of PVC/Vinyl, it's about cost including manufacturing, shipping and returns due to QC issues.

qz33
10-27-2017, 10:57 AM
Well the piece looks awesome but we are in doubt as to how we will receive will look.

SONICobra
10-27-2017, 11:33 AM
I'm going to play Devil's advocate for a second. So question is what happens if, and it's a BIG IF, the production piece looks exactly like the prototype? Would you guys buy it then after it's released with in-hand pics that look just like the proto?

thats one part of the equation, the other is how this thing will look in a year or two after its released

Mr. Nice Guy
10-27-2017, 11:36 AM
I have no problem with PVC if its on a cheaper line of statues. It would make sense to offer a line of strictly PVC pieces that undergo mass paint app and possibly higher production.

Premium Format and Maquette pieces should be reserved more for full resin sculpt with possible mixed media.

FriendlySamurai
10-27-2017, 11:46 AM

So basically you wont know the quality of Sideshow’s pvc until 1,2,3...10 years... Paying $700 for a potential time bomb is a scary thing too.

You can strengthen pvc by adding abs, but that also makes it more breakable. Spiderweb’s Hajime no Ippo line is a good example. While they are much harder then typical pvc, I dont feel like theyre safer from breakage.

Josh-a-tron
10-27-2017, 11:51 AM
I have no problem with PVC if its on a cheaper line of statues. It would make sense to offer a line of strictly PVC pieces that undergo mass paint app and possibly higher production.

Premium Format and Maquette pieces should be reserved more for full resin sculpt with possible mixed media.

That's it pretty much. I collect Vinyl figures, but generally they are on the cheaper side of things. If this was say a 1/8th scale highly detailed line they were starting in Vinyl with a cost of say $100-$200 depending on the sculpt, different story all together.

Nugchompa
10-27-2017, 12:25 PM
So when machines start painting these plastic figures, will the price drop to $60?

FROBAY
10-27-2017, 12:27 PM
So when machines start painting these plastic figures, will the price drop to $60?

No they will go up 200.00

Any excuse to raise the price is the new business model.

Sandman585
10-27-2017, 12:32 PM
Pre Order is up so all FOUR people that voted they will get one should be happy.

FROBAY
10-27-2017, 12:33 PM
Pre Order is up so all FOUR people that voted they will get one should be happy.

Lol. Don't be mean.

Sandman585
10-27-2017, 12:37 PM
Lol. Don't be mean.

lol. I am certainly not trying to be. I was originally one of those that were going to order. If anything this is to poke fun at SS and it points to the uncertainty of the final piece.

Iko Iko
10-28-2017, 01:37 AM

Exactly! I have some smaller scale PVC statues. I knew what they were made of and I bought them based on the price (a 1/6 scale Koto for example was around $120) and the value I perceived I was getting. That is the big shocker for me on this one, a 1/4 scale for $800 made with essentially the same material. What??? Again, at the most, this should be priced in the $300-$400 range.

Divinesorrow
10-28-2017, 10:25 AM
Exactly! I have some smaller scale PVC statues. I knew what they were made of and I bought them based on the price (a 1/6 scale Koto for example was around $120) and the value I perceived I was getting. That is the big shocker for me on this one, a 1/4 scale for $800 made with essentially the same material. What??? Again, at the most, this should be priced in the $300-$400 range.

There is absolutely no way I can believe the different materials used in making these statues we buy all come out to roughly the same price points.

I think most of us willing to buy this statue imagined it being priced $800-$1000. I don't remember a single post guesstimating much lower than that unlike many other statues they have released and this just so happens to fall in the same price range?

If vinyl is more durable when we take into consideration shipping and possible breakage why isn't the fix to improve you shipping material and packaging instead of screwing the customers? Their QC is the number one culprit and their packaging is number two.

Blacksunn
10-28-2017, 10:33 AM
The PVC/Vinyl just pushed me to getting the Prime 1 release.

and any future SSC releases that contain PVC/Vinyl I will pass on as well.

Thankfully SSC is a private company because I would own stock, and I would be dumping it all right now.

Secessio plebis - The collector plebs are about to revolt!!!

Parallax
10-28-2017, 12:58 PM
The PVC/Vinyl just pushed me to getting the Prime 1 release.

and any future SSC releases that contain PVC/Vinyl I will pass on as well.

Thankfully SSC is a private company because I would own stock, and I would be dumping it all right now.

Secessio plebis - The collector plebs are about to revolt!!!

Be prepared to never buy another statue ever again.

FROBAY
10-28-2017, 01:57 PM
Sideshow has always used plastic in some PF's, like utility belts and different accessories and I'm cool with that. But for me, the statues main body, head and base needs to be polystone. Just my personal collecting preference.

I'm glad Sideshow will start being up front with the material they are using. They do need to go back and update previous pre-order pages (stuff that hasn't shipped yet).

The TRUTH is Sideshow wouldn't be using vinyl and plastic if it didn't benefit them completely. Right now I see cheaper shipping to the customer but I also see cheaper shipping, manufacturing and less breakage for them. Who's the real winner here?

It's about packaging, I rarely see people complaining about XM damages as their packaging is next level.

I also ordered the P1 Thing statue.

Iko Iko
10-28-2017, 01:58 PM
Wow! Only 5% are definite orders. I'm guessing this is NOT what Sideshow was hoping for. Obviously, the material is the largest factor BUT it doesn't help that it is an open edition size either.

Of course, I also know this forum is a small part of the overall collecting community but even if this sample size was doubled, you are only looking at 10% of potential buyers. Still seems pretty low to me.

FROBAY
10-28-2017, 02:02 PM
Wow! Only 5% are definite orders. I'm guessing this is NOT what Sideshow was hoping for. Obviously, the material is the largest factor BUT it doesn't help that it is an open edition size either.

Of course, I also know this forum is a small part of the overall collecting community but even if this sample size was doubled, you are only looking at 10% of potential buyers. Still seems pretty low to me.

Yeah, were probly less than 3% of Sideshows customer base. But the poll should be a good sample.

Ryanbusts
10-28-2017, 02:06 PM
Sideshow has always used plastic in some PF's, like utility belts and different accessories and I'm cool with that. But for me, the statues main body, head and base needs to be polystone. Just my personal collecting preference.

I'm glad Sideshow will start being up front with the material they are using. They do need to go back and update previous pre-order pages (stuff that hasn't shipped yet).

The TRUTH is Sideshow wouldn't be using vinyl and plastic if it didn't benefit them completely. Right now I see cheaper shipping to the customer but I also see cheaper shipping, manufacturing and less breakage for them. Who's the real winner here?

It's about packaging, I rarely see people complaining about XM damages as their packaging is next level.

I also ordered the P1 Thing statue.

:goodpost:

Saturday_Knight_Surfer
10-28-2017, 02:28 PM

Yeah, were probly less than 3% of Sideshows customer base. But the poll should be a good sample.

That means Sideshow would sell between 60 to 200 Swamp Thing Maquettes right now. WOW.

VS1976
10-28-2017, 03:50 PM
If this was mostly polystone, I'd bet the 5 % would be more like 50%. I personally don't like the word vinyl on any statues. It just makes it look like they went for the cheap route to extract more profits.

Comicbookguy
10-28-2017, 05:07 PM
I like vinyl and wished they used more of it. Less headaches from breakage.

Saturday_Knight_Surfer
10-28-2017, 05:26 PM
In about fifteen years, with technological advances, maybe Sideshow will sell holographic sculptures. We'll only have to buy the holographic projector from Sideshow, and the license to display the holographic statue.
No breakage, no shipping costs, no visible seams, the end of limited editions, the end of flippers, the end of the polystone vs vinyl vs PVC debate, the end of the aftermarket...:muahaha:
We'll be able to change display in a second with change of heads, change of arms, change of colour, change of size from 1/6 to 1/1...

Let's future happen. :smokin:

SolidLiquidFox
10-28-2017, 08:20 PM
I like vinyl and wished they used more of it. Less headaches from breakage.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: