PDA

View Full Version : Light up features on Sideshow Pieces

House
11-01-2017, 11:47 PM
So I'm wondering with the light up features on statues, Lightsabers, built in light up features etc.. How often do you turn them on? Will the bulb/LED that is built in actually go bad? All the time i turn them on for a minute but dont want to "use up the life on it." Is this something that anyone has actually worn out?

I've had broken lightsaber bulbs before but also had them repaired. Some of the internal features thou, like Iron Mans chest piece /helmet they last awhile? Really want to just leave them on but not at the cost of it going bad..

Parallax
11-02-2017, 12:13 AM
I turn on the lights when I want to take pictures or just admire them. Otherwise, they stay off.

Iacon13
11-02-2017, 02:32 AM
I decided to leave my darth malgus running for a few hours and it was a bad idea. The whole thing crapped out on me light saber and light up chest....and then....a festivus miracle!!!!

I tried turning it on a couple of months later and it started working again. So I don't trust the light up features and now use them sparingly....

ukshaun
11-02-2017, 02:54 AM
I own a total of 3 pieces with a light up option. Ease of access to on/off switch decides if i use them.

https://image.ibb.co/kYFuKa/ukshaun_15_Side_Show_R2_D2_01_Edit.jpg
Sideshow - R2-D2 Deluxe 1/6

Easy to turn on, as there is a touch sensitive switch on the top. R2 has his lights switched
every time i put the display lights on.

Video of lights in action https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCZaT_hKs2g

https://image.ibb.co/dXwJvw/Iron_Man_5.jpg
Gentle Giant - Iron Man (Sorayama Metropolis) Variant 1/4

To turn his lights on requires the removal of a section of the rear of the statue, under which
the switch is located. Lights on come on for photo's or to show friends. Otherwise, the lights
off most of the time. I doubt the option to add a touch sensitive switch was an option.

https://image.ibb.co/jg28vF/ukshaun_65_Weta_Ghost_Shell_05.jpg
Weta - The Major 1/4

This statue features a light up base, with an exposed push-buttonswitch located towards the
rear of the base. I do switch the based on, but not as often as i switch on R2's lights.

https://image.ibb.co/cmdLGv/Statue_Forum_Banner_v02.gif
UkShaun's Collection: http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=147668

Mister H
11-02-2017, 07:09 AM
I have the SS Hal Jordan GL with the light up lantern and I never turn it on.

MrJones
11-02-2017, 10:46 AM
I turn on the lights when I want to take pictures or just admire them. Otherwise, they stay off.

Same with me.

House
11-02-2017, 10:48 AM
I decided to leave my darth malgus running for a few hours and it was a bad idea. The whole thing crapped out on me light saber and light up chest....and then....a festivus miracle!!!!

I tried turning it on a couple of months later and it started working again. So I don't trust the light up features and now use them sparingly....

Nice, got lucky!!!

I only own 2 light up pieces. Ease of switching them on decides if i turn them on or off

Sideshow - R2-D2 Deluxe 1/6
Easy to turn on, as there is a touch sensitive switch on the top. R2 has his lights switched every time i put the display lights on.

Gentle Giant - Iron Man (Sorayama Metropolis) Variant 1/4
To turn his lights on requires the removal of a section of the rear of the statue, under which the switch is located. Lights on come on for photo's or to show friends. Otherwise, the lights off most of the time. I doubt the option to add a touch sensitive switch was an option.

Ease of switching pieces on is almost why I never turn on my 1/6 iron man/war machine. Have to take off pieces for head, chest 2 arms becomes a hassle.. tempted to just leave them on. Regardless of all the batteries I'd burn through.

Just read up on the Iron Studios Darth Vaders chest and belt have to be taken out and switched on as well.

NorthernLadMSP
11-02-2017, 10:48 AM
I think I own one statue with a light up feature, and it's not even a Sideshow piece.

IMO, light up features are the biggest waste of company resources. Most people don't use them or don't care, and as soon as that light up feature stops working, it tanks the value of the piece.

Josh-a-tron
11-02-2017, 10:51 AM
I think if the piece has something that should light up, like a Lightsaber or a power ring, then yes, I'm fine with it. But light up eyes and things like that I could do without. I will say I'm happy with my SS Vader light up and with my GL Power Battery light up, but like I said, those I feel a more necessary to the piece.

House
11-02-2017, 10:56 AM
I think I own one statue with a light up feature, and it's not even a Sideshow piece.

IMO, light up features are the biggest waste of company resources. Most people don't use them or don't care, and as soon as that light up feature stops working, it tanks the value of the piece.

It's a nice feature, agreed thou hardly used because of that fact. If I were to ever let a piece go, I would want it working. Having to sell it at a discount sucks..although that is how I got my Aayla Secura Ex cheap. Then paid to have it repaired. Thanks Bruno!

Comicbookguy
11-02-2017, 11:00 AM
I never use it except one time to see if it works when I get the statue. 100% goes dead in time and the batteries leak.

TRDNiteLife
11-02-2017, 12:18 PM
I think if the piece has something that should light up, like a Lightsaber or a power ring, then yes, I'm fine with it. But light up eyes and things like that I could do without.

Does the SS C-3PO life size bust fall into the "something that should light up" or "light up eyes you could do without" category? :D

Josh-a-tron
11-02-2017, 12:33 PM
Does the SS C-3PO life size bust fall into the "something that should light up" or "light up eyes you could do without" category? :D

Hmm, that's tough, Because without the light up he looks deactivated....Okay maybe on that one.

But stuff like some people wanted Darkseid's eyes to light up, yeah I don't need that. He's fine without it.

HBK83
11-02-2017, 12:49 PM
The light up features I think are a must for lightsabers. It's the only light up feature I feel should be required. I also had the malgus pf and the light up made it so much better when on. They need a paint app that can reflect a glowing look

GaryTonge
11-02-2017, 01:42 PM
The light up features I think are a must for lightsabers. It's the only light up feature I feel should be required. I also had the malgus pf and the light up made it so much better when on. They need a paint app that can reflect a glowing look

I agree. Star wars pieces need good, functioning light ups. I've already got someone in place to help me when my Vader PF light saber inevitably fails.

http://i.imgur.com/oIaat29.jpg

PermaGrin
11-02-2017, 04:03 PM
I really on turn mine on when I first receive them to make sure they all work, then I remove the batteries.

Eventually I would like to make a setup where they are all wired (daisy-chained) to a switch to just turn them all on and off.

On the topic of SW pieces...too bad Grevious's arms are too thin to accommodate such a feature. Though I still plan to see if I can at some point in the future.

House
11-02-2017, 04:25 PM
Things just look so much better with the saber light on !
https://i.imgur.com/RcruWu1.jpg

Bowen or Bust
11-02-2017, 06:29 PM
Star Wars characters that wield a light saber , light up always looks better imo.
I also like when Iron Man's arc reactor and repulsor ray outlets light up .
Wonder if the Gems will look good lit up on the Gauntlet of the Thanos Throne statue... I'm glad they're not super bright .

Mr. Nice Guy
11-02-2017, 06:31 PM
I agree. Star wars pieces need good, functioning light ups. I've already got someone in place to help me when my Vader PF light saber inevitably fails.

http://i.imgur.com/oIaat29.jpg

SS should dedicate a part of their website for buyers to purchase replacement light up pieces. All light up pieces should be removable and replaceable by design.

GaryTonge
11-02-2017, 06:42 PM
SS should dedicate a part of their website for buyers to purchase replacement light up pieces. All light up pieces should be removable and replaceable by design.

I agree. Or manufacturer them in a way that the LEDs can be replaced on your own.

Agoniste
11-02-2017, 06:48 PM
I really on turn mine on when I first receive them to make sure they all work, then I remove the batteries.

Eventually I would like to make a setup where they are all wired (daisy-chained) to a switch to just turn them all on and off.

On the topic of SW pieces...too bad Grevious's arms are too thin to accommodate such a feature. Though I still plan to see if I can at some point in the future.

I bought a damaged Gen grievous for 100$ and I also plan on adding light up lightsabers aswell at some point

Agoniste
11-02-2017, 06:57 PM
Here my Shaak ti with an extra lightsaber added

House
11-03-2017, 01:52 AM

Would be nice, after i received my Darth Maul, one of the saber blades was damaged they sent a replacement. I also inquired about possibly purchasing an extra for just in case. They said that they did not do that, but i could inquire in the future if i had broken one myself. Years down the road I'm sure they wont have extras.

Here my Shaak ti with an extra lightsaber added

Nice! Did you do that yourself or paid to have it made?

Agoniste
11-03-2017, 06:01 AM
Would be nice, after i received my Darth Maul, one of the saber blades was damaged they sent a replacement. I also inquired about possibly purchasing an extra for just in case. They said that they did not do that, but i could inquire in the future if i had broken one myself. Years down the road I'm sure they wont have extras.

Nice! Did you do that yourself or paid to have it made?

It was made by Pixelpiper . He used to be on the sideshow freaks board .

He's now on facebook under Bruno pixeledrous

zuko3984
11-03-2017, 01:11 PM
I use the light up features when i am taking photos or having people over and showing my collection. Sometimes i turn them on for a little while just for myself when i feel like it. I really love the light up features. On certain statues/figures i think they really make them stand out. I think the light up eyes on the armored Batman statue and the 1/6 scale figure really add to them. Light up eyes on C3PO also really add to the figure, Without them on it looks like he is in shutdown mode.
I use the Soap Reactor battery replacement system on almost all my stuff that has light up features. It replaces the batteries with adaptors that let you plug them in to electrical outlets. I have all my stuff with light up features on one switch and turn all of them on and off at once. Makes it really easy to use the light up features. The wires on the adaptors are really thin and easy to hide most of the time. The only one i can't figure out how to hide the wires is on The Green Lantern statue his lantern is pretty much impossible to hide the wires so I have to use batteries in that if i want to light it up.

toe
11-03-2017, 01:18 PM
Best Sideshow light-up is the X-men vs Sentinel #1 diorama. The flickering effect is awesome. I turned it on once and never again lol.

Python
11-03-2017, 01:26 PM
Light ups are a mixed bag. I like them when they are well implemented. Sadly I have more statues with burnt out lights than I do with working which indicates that the components used aren't of a great quality. I don't use most of my working light ups often, to the point that I wouldn't miss them if they weren't there. Although I would always rather lightsabers lit up...

However, when they are done right, they really do add a lot! The Sideshow Knifehead for example is a great statue when it isn't lit up, but it transforms into a thing of beauty when you flick the switch.

https://i.imgur.com/MhO6OZy.jpg

Bowen or Bust
11-03-2017, 01:31 PM
some cool light ups:
not my pics:

https://i.imgur.com/q5n0IWnh.jpg

hopefully: :praying:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQft1ZMRkTmCa4a72SAHMycDwrES07Ozj-wy65DPM6XNvr7vbrwgg

Python
11-03-2017, 01:35 PM
One thing I'd love to see from all statue manufacturers, is better engineered light ups where possible to allow access for repairs. Light ups can be a really nice feature, but there is always that risk that plays in the back of your mind.

Y3E
11-03-2017, 01:53 PM
I turn them on now and then, just to use the batteries so they don't leak.

67L88Stingray
11-03-2017, 11:14 PM
One thing I'd love to see from all statue manufacturers, is better engineered light ups where possible to allow access for repairs. Light ups can be a really nice feature, but there is always that risk that plays in the back of your mind.

Exactly, and sell spare parts. It is amazing to me they don't already do this. I love light up features, but when they are not made to last and impossible to fix it is hard to use them as much as I would like.

CyborgHunter
11-04-2017, 08:36 AM
Just added a battery powered puck light behind my Captain Marvel at the base. These make it really easy for simple lighting effects.