PDA

View Full Version : So who is going to check out Serenity??

CanadianMachine
09-30-2005, 12:32 PM
So who is going to check out Serenity??

A couple of my friends have never seen Firefly before, so they want to watch the series first. So tomorrow we are having a Firefly marathon, then going to see Serenity. I think I have reached a whole new level of geek!! :laugh:

JDH
09-30-2005, 12:39 PM
My wife and I are, next weekend. We only saw the show on DVD this summer - she loved it, I quite liked it. The movie should be fun.

Nightcrawler777
09-30-2005, 01:27 PM
I never Watched Firefly..
But i think i may check out the movie..

Korann
09-30-2005, 02:08 PM
A friend loaned us the Firefly season to watch...Thought it was great! Kinda wanted to see Serenity even before I knew what it was about and now that I've seen Firefly I am going to see it tonight!!

darthrobbler
09-30-2005, 02:26 PM
I Can't Wait See This Movie!!!
The Series Rocks And Has My Highest Reccommendation.

Tattoo-X
09-30-2005, 07:38 PM
Hopefully sometime between tonight and the 10th. Schedule is sorta chaotic this month.

Krypton Knight
09-30-2005, 07:51 PM
Just got back from seeing it and thought it was great! I never saw the series when it was on TV but my wife bought the DVD set and that's how I got hooked.

superash
09-30-2005, 09:53 PM
sounds great, hopefully i get there this weekend sometime. i watch the re-runs on sci-fi and love the show.

Zurbaran1
09-30-2005, 10:45 PM
It's been getting some great buzz. This is a must see but I would like to check out the Firefly DVDs first.

Tattoo-X
09-30-2005, 10:52 PM
Looks like I'll be going Monday. :buttrock:
Maybe I can watch a couple of my favorite eps before then.
It'll be tough with all the new stuff my wife has TIVOed.

Scottsdale Saint
10-01-2005, 02:54 AM
one of the best sci-fi movies in recent years, and i haven't even watched a whole lot of firefly, the tv series. this movie has everything the recent star wars trilogy lacked, drama, great character development, kickass action, i can't even believe how much i liked this movie. i haven't been as surprised by a movie since the first installment of the matrix.

JR2
10-01-2005, 08:40 PM
My wife and I will be going on Tuesday!

:buttrock:

CanadianMachine
10-02-2005, 05:14 PM
Friggin awesome!!!!!!!! Loved every minute of it. I have no complaints what so ever. The movie also answers a lot of questions from the series. :buttrock: :buttrock:

bat_collector
10-03-2005, 08:10 AM
YOu hve to see this movie if you even have a passing interest in sci fi.

Tattoo-X
10-04-2005, 02:12 AM
Saw it this even. Enjoyed the hell out of it. :thumbs2:
Hope they make another....soon!
Dang, that chick would be perfect to play X-23. :eplus2:

Primal
10-04-2005, 07:23 AM
Well...I suppose whoever wants to see it should see it soon as it only made $10 million over it's opening weekend. Hmm...didnt realize it cost $39 million to make. There's a chance it might make it's money back....maybe.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=serenity.htm

Glaurung
10-07-2005, 02:51 PM
It's a totally legit thing, all you have to do is accept the content (no viruses or spyware, I checked):

http://video.vividas.com/CDN1/3929_Serenity/web/index.html

Awesome! If this doesn't make you want to see the film, I give up...

I'm going again this weekend - we gotta help out the box office numbers - I always cheer for the underdog, especially when the underdog happens to be such a kick ass movie. (and I'm picky, especially when it comes to sci-fi)

Captain Britain
10-07-2005, 05:33 PM
Just opened here in the UK, can't wait to see it Loved the FireFly series

wolverinejedi007
10-07-2005, 07:09 PM
I have to talk the wife into going to see it.

Delta Four-Two
10-08-2005, 11:35 AM
It is absolutely bloody brilliant! :) I went and saw it twice last weekend (Opening weekend) and I'm going to see it either today of tomorrow (Love to see it both days to be honest). :D

Btw, thanks for that link to the first 10 minutes of "Serenity". That was killer! Made my morning. :)

madjazz
10-08-2005, 11:50 AM
I am hoping to talk my wife into going today!

Zurbaran1
10-08-2005, 12:34 PM
I am hoping to talk my wife into going today!

Bah! Just tell she's going and that's it. :laugh:

SirConor
10-08-2005, 01:44 PM
Movie was pretty good visually... too bad thats the only thing it has going for it. I thought this was atrocious... THIS is precisely the reason why I thought Whedon would ruin X-Men... thank God he got that much right.

Viking28
10-08-2005, 05:31 PM
AWESOME MOVIE!!! :buttrock:

ashley76
10-08-2005, 08:36 PM
Just got back from seeing it. It was pretty good. I haven't seen any episode of Firefly. You definately don't have to to enjoy this movie. I wouldn't put it up there with any Star Wars movie but, it does rate up there with a couple of the Star Trek movies. See it if you are into the sci fi stuff.

sith lord utinni!
10-09-2005, 02:34 AM
Just got back from seeing it and I thought it was pretty good. I actually think my wife liked it a whole lot better than I did.

madjazz
10-09-2005, 12:13 PM
Bah! Just tell she's going and that's it. :laugh:
Great advice. :rolleyes2

Awesome flick, highly recommended. You do not need to see the TV series in order to enjoy this, and as a matter of fact, if you see this first, you might enjoy the TV series more.

I hope it makes enough to do a sequel.

My wife laughed out loud in a few spots and at one point in the middle when River was kicking @ass, my son says loudly "That had to hurt!" and made the whole theatre laugh out loud.

Great spots, patented Whedon character development and dialogue. Not only do you get to finally see the Reavers, but you also get to learn their origin and boy is it not what you would have guessed.

If you have not seen this yet, go check it out.

I wouldn't put it up there with any Star Wars movie but, it does rate up there with a couple of the Star Trek movies.
I'm going to disagree with Ashley here, but it really is splitting hairs. It was not as good as the original three, but just on the basis of no Jar Jar Binks and no little Skywalker (who could not act his way out of a bag), Serenity is better than Episode I in so many ways. Star Wars may have a few more flashy special effects, but Serenity was made for only $39 million. Dollar for dollar, Whedon has delivered the superior story and overall product here.

JDH
10-09-2005, 12:29 PM
Superb stuff. There are clear Star Wars influences at work here, but I personally think this is scripted far better than any of those movies and doesn't fall short on the spectacle front either. Highly recommended, it deserves to be a massive hit.

Bullseye
10-09-2005, 01:38 PM
Wow i'm surprised at the thumbs up to this film. The trailer looked kinda cheesy.

madjazz
10-09-2005, 04:53 PM
It is cheesy...but in a fun way. The plot, acting and effects are all just ok. What did work for me was the character dialogue and interaction. Not a great film but still very entertaining and that is all I wanted out of this one.

These current box office numbers almost guarantee no sequel or new series.

SERENITY

Domestic Total as of Oct. 9, 2005: $17,594,000 (Estimate)
Distributor: Universal Release Date: September 30, 2005
Running Time: 1 hrs. 59 min. Production Budget: $39 million
MPAA Rating: PG-13 Est. Marketing Costs: N/A
If it made 10 mill the first week out, those numbers say it made 7 mill just this weekend. That is a much lower drop off than usual for a second week of a film and tells me that it is getting good word of mouth. Keep an eye on those numbers. The sales of the DVD set also suggest that if there is any shortfall at the box office, it will easily get made up.

Interesting.

Sam Wilson
10-09-2005, 05:55 PM
Superb stuff. There are clear Star Wars influences at work here, but I personally think this is scripted far better than any of those movies and doesn't fall short on the spectacle front either. Highly recommended, it deserves to be a massive hit.

j, my wife and I dug this series, and just got back from the movie. DAMN it was good.

It was nice to see something fresh and different with different faces that weren't so hollywood.

Sam Wilson
10-09-2005, 10:09 PM
Madjazz, you are right about the drop from first to second weekend box office being smaller than usual. Of course, it did not have that far to drop to begin with!

It will probably break even on domestic with international and DVD sales to cover marketing costs and bring in some profit, but, unfortunately, I still seriously doubt we will see Serenity II: River's Revenge (this time it is more personal) anytime soon. :)

I dunno. PUnisher didn't do so hot, and the sequal to that is filming right now. Besides, I think river did a pretty good job of getting her revenge against those reavers at the end of the flick... ;)

JDH
10-10-2005, 04:53 AM
j, my wife and I dug this series, and just got back from the movie. DAMN it was good.

It was nice to see something fresh and different with different faces that weren't so hollywood.

Yup, focus on script and character, imagine that... Did anyone check out the Dark Horse comics? I'd like to know if it's worth getting the tpb for my wife, who is the bigger fan of the show/film.

madjazz
10-10-2005, 08:32 AM
Besides, I think river did a pretty good job of getting her revenge against those reavers at the end of the flick... ;)
How cool was that scene? They should have done something like that with Elektra!

Sam Wilson
10-10-2005, 08:36 AM
Yup, focus on script and character, imagine that... Did anyone check out the Dark Horse comics? I'd like to know if it's worth getting the tpb for my wife, who is the bigger fan of the show/film.

yeah bro, my wife is really into it too. Wonder why the wives dig it so much? Her favorite characters are zoe and that pilot dude.

But honestly, I've seen those comics and they quality didn't seem so hot.

Sam Wilson
10-10-2005, 08:37 AM
How cool was that scene? They should have done something like that with Elektra!

yeah brother, that would have made elektra 100,000 times better. Damn, that scene was very well done. I liked the captain fighting that assassin dude as well. I was actually cheering in the theater during that fight...

JDH
10-10-2005, 09:06 AM
yeah bro, my wife is really into it too. Wonder why the wives dig it so much? Her favorite characters are zoe and that pilot dude.

But honestly, I've seen those comics and they quality didn't seem so hot.

Zoe? Really? My wife likes Mal and Wash (the pilot dude). I have to say Jayne is my favourite character.

And yes, after a ton of Matrix fight scenes in a slew of average movies, they actually managed to make River's battles seem fresh and well-done. In contrast, Elektra was the one Marvel film I think was a total abject failure.

I thought the comics might be a bit rough, which was why I didn't pick up the floppies...

Sam Wilson
10-10-2005, 09:10 AM
Zoe? Really? My wife likes Mal and Wash (the pilot dude). I have to say Jayne is my favourite character.

And yes, after a ton of Matrix fight scenes in a slew of average movies, they actually managed to make River's battles seem fresh and well-done. In contrast, Elektra was the one Marvel film I think was a total abject failure.

I thought the comics might be a bit rough, which was why I didn't pick up the floppies...

your favorite character is jayne, really? Huh. Well, I'll throw you for a loop as well j, my favorite character is (was anyway) the preacher dude...

JDH
10-10-2005, 09:13 AM
your favorite character is jayne, really? Huh. Well, I'll throw you for a loop as well j, my favorite character is (was anyway) the preacher dude...

Jayne gets the best laughs, although mal gets some good lines too.

You like Shepherd, huh? I have a friend who was really hoping to discover the truth about his past in this film...

Sam Wilson
10-10-2005, 09:16 AM
Jayne gets the best laughs, although mal gets some good lines too.

You like Shepherd, huh? I have a friend who was really hoping to discover the truth about his past in this film...

j, I have a theory on him. I personally think he was a Federation nameless/faceless assassin like the brother in the movie, and the whole priest thing was his way of attonement. That would explain his combat skills from the series, and that one time he gained access to the federation medical facilities...

JDH
10-10-2005, 09:18 AM
j, I have a theory on him. I personally think he was a Federation nameless/faceless assassin like the brother in the movie, and the whole priest thing was his way of attonement. That would explain his combat skills from the series, and that one time he gained access to the federation medical facilities...

Good sound theory - I'll pass it on. I still think there's a chance they could uncover that in a sequel.

Sam Wilson
10-10-2005, 12:41 PM
Sheppard was a general in the Alliance. He actually led the assualt on Serenity Valley that ended the war.

Just my theory though.

Favorite Characters:

JAYNE COBB - "Hell, I'll kill a man in a fair fight, or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight, or if he bothers me, or if there's a woman, or if I'm gettin paid; mostly only when I'm gettin paid. But eating people alive, when does that get fun?."

JERRY LEE 'WASH' WARREN -"Can we start with the part where Jayne gets knocked out by a 90 pound girl? Because that's *never* getting old."

huh. that's a good theory too tet. My wife loves everything that "wash" guy says, admitedly he is pretty funny...

bat_collector
10-10-2005, 01:09 PM
great theory. I thought about that too.

I'm in love with jewel spaite. And innara is great too.

But my faves are wash and jayne simply for their hilarious moments.

madjazz
10-10-2005, 03:56 PM
I think women like Wash based on his relationship with Zoe.