PDA

View Full Version : Help with book title

mwf6171
10-21-2005, 01:07 AM
Hello, I was wanting to try my hand at some sculpting. I have seen on here somewhere a book about sculpting with clay or polymer clay or something like that..........if anyone can help, that would be grand.........

Also, any reference material about armitures.........I am a kinesthic learner so I gotta do it to learn it...........

ANy help would be appreciated.

Thanks

mike

Wolverine1
10-22-2005, 03:08 AM
Hello, I was wanting to try my hand at some sculpting. I have seen on here somewhere a book about sculpting with clay or polymer clay or something like that..........if anyone can help, that would be grand.........

Also, any reference material about armitures.........I am a kinesthic learner so I gotta do it to learn it...........

Thanks

mike
Hey do I get the first statue?

Curt Chiarelli
10-22-2005, 05:08 AM

Thanks

mike

There are about a dozen books out there on the market handling the subject of polymer clay sculpting, but their approach is for the arts/crafts crowd, rather than the serious fantasy artist.

I've checked out most of these volumes and quite frankly feel that they are all redundant. Although you can pick up some handy tips about polymer clay handling properties, it's much better for you to concentrate on learning your craft as a sculptor without being too distracted by a disproportionate emphasis on the type of clay you're using. What that would amount to is just technique for technique's sake.

Furthermore, I believe some of the previous posts here on this forum concerning the handling properties of polymer clays will be vastly more helpful to you - and cheaper - than any specialized book now on the market. It's not rocket science - the principles surrounding the material's usage and limitations are very succinct and simple to learn.

It makes no difference what medium you decide to work in, I think your money would be better spent buying Tuck Langland's superb book, From Clay to Bronze to learn about the the craft, materials and tools of sculpting (construction of armatures, supplier's list, etc.) along with some copies of Amazing Figure Modeler magazine.

Ultimately though, none of these items can replace good old-fashioned talent, drive, personal experimentation and common sense.

I hope this helped. We all look forward to seeing your efforts posted here on this site!

Hsoj
10-22-2005, 09:02 PM
I think the book you refer to is Kathrine Dewey's Creating Lifelike Figures in Polymer Clay. It is a very good book on doing this if you're starting with no experience just to get an introduction on it. The other people sculpting books are too cartoony/charicature styled. Kathys books are avilable from her site: http://www.elvenwork.com

Other good books are Modelling the Head and Modelling the Figure in Clay both by Bruno Luchesi.

BTW: My old boss Steve Kiwus (longtime sculptor) will be putting out a book under Dark Horse called Babes Beasts and Brawn Sculpture of the Fantastic in January. You can find it listed for preorder on Amazon but it hasn't been published yet. It's supposed to have a step by step of the process (clay up, silicone mold, wax cast, adding wax details, etc) I don't know if it'll show any of the articulation stuff or not.

mwf6171
10-23-2005, 12:18 AM
Thanks all, will check out the Dewey books............

wolverine1, for you I will make a very "special" statue........................:eplus2:

wizard-comics
10-23-2005, 09:28 PM
............wolverine1, for you I will make a very "special" statue........................:eplus2:

I'd like to see that! :laugh: :eplus2:

mwf6171
10-24-2005, 12:18 AM
I think the book you refer to is Kathrine Dewey's Creating Lifelike Figures in Polymer Clay. It is a very good book on doing this if you're starting with no experience just to get an introduction on it. The other people sculpting books are too cartoony/charicature styled. Kathys books are avilable from her site: http://www.elvenwork.com

Other good books are Modelling the Head and Modelling the Figure in Clay both by Bruno Luchesi.

BTW: My old boss Steve Kiwus (longtime sculptor) will be putting out a book under Dark Horse called Babes Beasts and Brawn Sculpture of the Fantastic in January. You can find it listed for preorder on Amazon but it hasn't been published yet. It's supposed to have a step by step of the process (clay up, silicone mold, wax cast, adding wax details, etc) I don't know if it'll show any of the articulation stuff or not.

thanks, will keep my eye out for your boss' book!!