PDA

View Full Version : Serenity release on DVD

Tattoo-X
11-01-2005, 07:03 PM
on December 20th! :buttrock:

ashley76
11-01-2005, 11:34 PM
That was quick. Man I just went and saw it a few weeks ago it seems.

Captain Late
11-02-2005, 10:36 AM
If something does poorly, not that Serenity did that bad but still, it will often be released quickly so that it can piggyback the inital advertising and buzz... And Christmas beats the heck out of a Groundhog day release date!

candyrocket786
11-02-2005, 05:11 PM
Now that was quick.

Not really... especially since the film had various sneak previews since early summer.

JDH
11-02-2005, 05:12 PM
Anyone flying to Britain on the 21 December? Only way I could get a copy for my wife for Christmas...

MerriemsDaughter
11-07-2005, 08:57 PM
I was just reading some hard data on the film's box office, and I was surprised to see how badly's done all over the world. (It hasn't even made back its budget worldwide, and after adding marketing and other expenses, it will be even harder to make a profit, now that the film is out of the charts and out of the public's view)
It seems that it only spent two weeks in the top ten in most countries, including the USA, the UK and Australia, in Spain it only spent one week in the top ten and in France, it didn't even make the top ten, debuting at # 13.
I also read that the theatrical release in several countries has been cancelled.
(Including Mexico, Taiwan, Argentina, Brazil and Switzerland)
No wonder the studio is releasing it just before Xmas...they want (and hope) to make a quick buck, and hopefully make some profit down the road.
IS it any good?
The commercials never appealed to me, and thus I passed on it...

kirthew
11-07-2005, 09:02 PM
I was just reading some hard data on the film's box office, and I was surprised to see how badly's done all over the world. (It hasn't even made back its budget worldwide, and after adding marketing and other expenses, it will be even harder to make a profit, now that the film is out of the charts and out of the public's view)
It seems that it only spent two weeks in the top ten in most countries, including the USA, the UK and Australia, in Spain it only spent one week in the top ten and in France, it didn't even make the top ten, debuting at # 13.
I also read that the theatrical release in several countries has been cancelled.
(Including Mexico, Taiwan, Argentina, Brazil and Switzerland)
No wonder the studio is releasing it just before Xmas...they want (and hope) to make a quick buck, and hopefully make some profit down the road.
IS it any good?
The commercials never appealed to me, and thus I passed on it...
IS IT ANY GOOD??? If you did not watch 'Firefly' the TV show... then you might want to pass... but being that I loved the show... and was very drawn to it... I think it is one of the best movies of 2005. Here is what I suggest... if you have Netflix, get the tv series dvds... and then get the movie... I think if the tv series wins you over, then the movie will blow you away...

On another note... how can this series be so critically acclaimed and not earn money. I tell people about it.. and then loan them my dvds and they all say.. "How did I miss this?" I mean it is a fascinating universe... and I would love to see more movies made, but after the box office on this film.. I just dont see it happening...

MerriemsDaughter
11-07-2005, 09:28 PM
IS IT ANY GOOD??? If you did not watch 'Firefly' the TV show... then you might want to pass...
maybe that's the problem.
Could it be that people who didn't watch the show (and let's be honest, that is like, 98 % of the USA, basically) could care less?
I keep hearing that you didn't have to be familiar with the show in order to "get" the film, and yet, I see many reviews that tell me that if I don't see the show, I will not enjoy the film.

The show was a ratings failure, and it didn't have a long enough time (like Star Trek did) to develop a large enough cult.
The fans went and saw the film multiple times, but clearly, there aren't enough fans to amke the film a hit.

risingstar
11-07-2005, 09:37 PM
I loved the TV show... Liked the film.
I sure hope Serenity gets picked up by a TV company.

For those who have yet to watch the TV show, spoil yourself and spend the 25$ for the complete DVD TV series. Great TV.

JR2
11-07-2005, 09:49 PM
On another note... how can this series be so critically acclaimed and not earn money.

The same reason "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" was so critically acclaimed, yet never won an Emmy.

Some people just don't get it.

:banghead:

CanadianMachine
11-10-2005, 11:01 AM
I put this movie in my top 10, everyone I know who seen it, loved it. What are the chances of SciFi picking this up as a series. It would be a great way to start the Friday line up. At least it comes out soon, so I can start watchin it over and over again.

Weapon X
11-10-2005, 01:09 PM
Never saw the tv series but I loved the movie. I need to go back and rent them now.

darthrobbler
11-10-2005, 01:47 PM
Rock On!!!!

Kirbyfan
11-10-2005, 07:03 PM
The same reason "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" was so critically acclaimed, yet never won an Emmy.

Agreed. I'm one of those people.

I went to see Serenity with great anticipation and completely see why it hasn't done that well. With me though, part of it could be that I knew it started as a TV show. I felt like I was watching a made for TV movie. ala Sci-Fi channel. The sets, the pacing, the story, and the direction. One scene in particular had me scratching my head. The one where the kung fu chick started fighting in the off-world bar. It looked like a set from the original Star Trek series with its fakey rock walls. :peoples: I'm wondering how I'd have reacted not knowing anything about its origins.

I enjoyed it, but I'm baffled by all these 'best movie of the year' reviews. Glad to see (in money terms) that I'm not alone.

Captain Late
11-10-2005, 08:13 PM
I wonder if this was "sneaked" too many times for the hardcore fans... I kept reading about how often they had previews to create buzz and they may have just showed it to every single "browncoat" well before the release... In short, they showed it to everyone who was dying to see it for free...!

Mike
11-16-2005, 02:28 AM

Dude Buffy was about a teenage vampire hunter.

It has a hard core cult following but I never saw anything about it being critically accaimed.

madjazz
11-16-2005, 09:27 AM
Dude Buffy was about a teenage vampire hunter.

It has a hard core cult following but I never saw anything about it being critically accaimed.
Buffy was raved about for the full seven years it was on as the best written show on television.

I thought Serenity the Movie kicked @ss and can't believe it didn't do better.

Did anyone else pick up on the Joss Whedon cameo on Veronica Mars this week?

Tattoo-X
11-16-2005, 11:53 AM
I thought Serenity the Movie kicked @ss and can't believe it didn't do better.

Me too! Can't wait to buy it and watch it again. :buttrock:

Tetragrammaton
11-16-2005, 01:35 PM
Well it will make money but not too much. I expect DVD sales to be fairly good.

Domestic = 25 million + International = 10 million.

With a production budget of $39 million (very cheap for a modern SF film) they stand a good chance of making some bucks.

The problem with Serenity is that it was the conclusion of a failed TV show. If Serenity was still being aired on a major network in reruns the film would have done much better. Also the televison commercials for the film made it look extremely cheesy and bad.

I'm glad I watched it. Not only did I pay to see it again (after a free preview) but I got the series on DVD.