PDA

View Full Version : Priming Sculpey

yellowjacket
11-21-2005, 09:55 PM
I primed a Baked SS piece yesterday and it is still tacky today. I may have messed up. I used Testors enamel primer. The stuff just doesn't seem to be drying. Is it usual to take a couple of days for the primer to dry? Normally I would just paint without primer and have good results. Wouldn't you know the first time I primed I have a problem.

cblakey1
11-22-2005, 01:23 AM
Just leave it. It will eventually cure. Might've just put it on too thick. Also, depends on how much you shook the can, drying temps, and if it can be used on SS.

Next time, try citadel colour black or white primer. A little pricey, but it dries fast and paints up great! :buttrock:

Danno
11-22-2005, 11:10 AM
I would recommend staying Far away from primers by Testors. High quality primers from The Armory or Dupli-Color are much better to do what you need.

Kdawg59
11-22-2005, 12:46 PM
I also like plain old sandable gray primer by Krylon... sears has it...

Kirk Durfey
11-23-2005, 03:11 AM
I also like plain old sandable gray primer by Krylon... sears has it...
Thats the stuff i use, pretty cheap and works just fine...
I've also used an auto primer, don't know which brand offhand but I got it at a Kragens...

boondocksaint
11-23-2005, 03:13 AM
I would recommend staying Far away from primers by Testors. High quality primers from The Armory or Dupli-Color are much better to do what you need.

i use dupli color like the main man dan...and its been good to me :buttrock:

ABE
11-23-2005, 08:34 PM
I use plasti-kote .....I've tried all kinds of primer but this brand is my favorite.....it drys extremely fast and is really durable

yellowjacket
11-29-2005, 06:52 PM
A week later the primer was still tacky. I took lighter fluid brushed it on and then wiped it off. The primer came right off. I then sprayed it with Krylon primer and it was dry within 15 minutes. Live and learn.