PDA

View Full Version : Help please!

EvilNinjaChris
12-04-2005, 10:48 PM
I recently finished a sculpt with super sculpey and baked it. my problem is a few hairline cracks...I've searched on here but i can't seem to find anything about fixing them...what do I use? would milliput be suitable?.. if I were to paint over them will they get worse? and did this happen because I didn't paint and seal the sculpt fast enough? It has been done for about a week. sorry for so many questions... I'm most interested in how to fix it... please help.
-C

MONSTER
12-04-2005, 10:51 PM
A little bondo should do the trick. ;)

I am sure someone here will be able to help.

cblakey1
12-05-2005, 01:30 AM
I recently finished a sculpt with super sculpey and baked it. my problem is a few hairline cracks...I've searched on here but i can't seem to find anything about fixing them...what do I use? would milliput be suitable?.. if I were to paint over them will they get worse? and did this happen because I didn't paint and seal the sculpt fast enough? It has been done for about a week. sorry for so many questions... I'm most interested in how to fix it... please help.
-C

Yep, if you don't have any of Epoxysculpt, then Miliput should be fine. Just make sure you work the mixed putty with a bit of water until it it like slimy, then push and smear it into the cracks. Then wipe off the excess and viola! There is lots of crack filling alternatives you can get at your hobby shop, so if you choose not to use Miliput, ask them what they got.

And as far as why it happens.. who knows? The S.S. may have been too thick/thin in certain areas or maybe stress on your armature. Either way, it's completely correctable.

-cb

EvilNinjaChris
12-06-2005, 01:13 AM
awesomem, thanks so much for the help...I'm pretty sure it was because it was a little too thick...funny because it cracked right in the butt crack of the sculpt... I'm painting it right now

Mr. Farrell
12-06-2005, 01:38 AM
When doing thicker pieces, I use a layer of tinfoil under the sculpey. Thick chunks of sculpey bake unevenly, so cracks can occur when it cools. Tinfoil usually eliminates the problem.

Miliput's a good patch solution, but I'd also advise dropping a little superglue into the crack first to keep it from getting worse.