PDA

View Full Version : flipper question

Twocool4u1
12-06-2005, 04:32 PM
lets say i get a PV. if i decide to keep it for a month then decide to sell it does that make me a flipper?

edit. what if i decide to keep it for a year then sell it?

Ish
12-06-2005, 04:33 PM
yes...

Jesse321
12-06-2005, 04:34 PM
Yeap! Welcome to the club. :D

kirthew
12-06-2005, 04:34 PM
lets say i get a PV. if i decide to keep it for a month then decide to sell it does that make me a flipper?

In all honesty.. yes. Anytime you buy a piece and then sell it in the future for more money or even less money than what you paid.. you are a flipper...

Flipper is a term for a person who buys something and then sells it... I have pieces that I thought I would never sell... yet I did... I flipped them.. and there are times where I will go into a store knowing that whatever I buy I am going to flip.

P.S. I have posted way to many times today... I think I have been standing too close to Wolverine or something...

Lay-Z-boy
12-06-2005, 04:35 PM
It depends...what was the reason/intent for buying this product?

kirthew
12-06-2005, 04:37 PM
It depends...what was the reason/intent for buying this product?

Nope... I disagree completely... it does not matter the intent or reason for buying the piece... if you take a statue and you sell it... or if you take any product or service and sell it... you are a flipper.... it is really black and white...

Lay-Z-boy
12-06-2005, 04:42 PM
Nope... I disagree completely... it does not matter the intent or reason for buying the piece... if you take a statue and you sell it... or if you take any product or service and sell it... you are a flipper.... it is really black and white...

If you buy a product with the intention of keeping it and later forced against
your original intention to sell it ( for any reason ) is not considered flipping to
me.

mwf6171
12-06-2005, 04:45 PM
Guys, it doesn't really matter....................there is a special place in Hell for us flippers where the only Bowen stuff we will be able to see will be Bucky, Ghost Rider, Karnak and Doc Samson busts!! Oh the horror!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

nbr3bagshotrow
12-06-2005, 04:48 PM
In all honesty.. yes. Anytime you buy a piece and then sell it in the future for more money or even less money than what you paid.. you are a flipper...

Flipper is a term for a person who buys something and then sells it... I have pieces that I thought I would never sell... yet I did... I flipped them.. and there are times where I will go into a store knowing that whatever I buy I am going to flip.

P.S. I have posted way to many times today... I think I have been standing too close to Wolverine or something...
Do you have this urge to create a poll?

Lay-Z-boy
12-06-2005, 04:49 PM
Do you have this urge to create a poll?

:laugh: :laugh:

pmpknface
12-06-2005, 04:52 PM
Really... what does it matter? We all sell stuff. There is no "stigma" about selling stuff.

If you bought every piece and then yo lost your job would you get chastized for trying to make ends meet by selling your collection? No.

So people sell bust and make $. Big friggin' deal. I'm glad then do - now my collection is BIGGER! :)

Captain Late
12-06-2005, 04:53 PM
I think flippers are usually considered folks who buy with a real intent to sell. I sell some of my stuff occasionally but it's more of a "culling the herd" situation than flipping.

kirthew
12-06-2005, 04:54 PM
Really... what does it matter? We all sell stuff. There is no "stigma" about selling stuff.

If you bought every piece and then yo lost your job would you get chastized for trying to make ends meet by selling your collection? No.

So people sell bust and make $. Big friggin' deal. I'm glad then do - now my collection is BIGGER! :)

I think we need a Flipper Appriciation Day... a Free Bucky, Doc Samson, Ghost Rider bust to all flippers.

pmpknface
12-06-2005, 04:57 PM
I think we need a Flipper Appriciation Day... a Free Bucky, Doc Samson, Ghost Rider bust to all flippers.
Why, so they can just put them back up on the market? ;)

Besides, no profit to be make there! :banghead:

Jesse321
12-06-2005, 04:59 PM
Why, so they can just put them back up on the market? ;)

Besides, no profit to be make there! :banghead:If they were free to begin with, 100% of the money made would be profit. :stick: :eplus2:

Meta Jon
12-06-2005, 05:10 PM
When you buy something, it's yours to do with what you please.
If you want to resell it, thats your decision.

Captain Late
12-06-2005, 05:12 PM
I think it comes down to this; you "flip" a Gold Bucky and you "sell" a Karnak.
:laugh:

stevex2
12-06-2005, 05:14 PM
Guys, it doesn't really matter....................there is a special place in Hell for us flippers where the only Bowen stuff we will be able to see will be Bucky, Ghost Rider, Karnak and Doc Samson busts!! Oh the horror!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:
Those are my favorite bust !!!! Why all the hate ???? Seriously,without the ghost Rider in there I really do like all of those bust. :buttrock:

NovaKane
12-06-2005, 06:02 PM
I liked insomniac's two definitions of "flipper" posted over in the # of Exclusives" thread (http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=19549):

I think we may need another term for different types of flippers. Dana may want to create one for his glossary. There seem to be at least 2 type of people that we a lumping into the term flipper.

1. Collectors that buy a statue or bust because they wanted it and after a period of time decided they no longer like it or due to personal or financial reasons and decide to sell it. I don't think the majority of members have any problems with this type of flipper and most people may owe a substancial part of their collection to them.

2. Collectors that buy a piece with NO intention of keeping it and only plan to resell or trade the piece for something else. I think these are the flippers that some members are having issues with.

wizard-comics
12-06-2005, 06:10 PM
I think this "flipper" topic has been beat into the ground so much...it comes up everytime Bowen has something limited come out..

Flipper: Someone that buys something to sell.....that means everyone is a flipper that sells an item...unless your producing it yourself?! I mean really, what is the difference between a guy that sells something on ebay compared to...let's say Danny (drod from comicsstatues.com) both are in it to make money and pay bills....

I just don't understand why flippers are so hated...don't get me wrong, I could care less what people think of me selling something...don't buy it...But the flipping is what makes statue collecting an investment hobby...without the secondary market there would be no increase in value....none, nadda, zilch.....if you really think that statues and bust would increase in price (without selling them) and it would remain a collectable hobby without flippers I'd like to see your reasoning behind it...

Capt. America
12-06-2005, 06:17 PM
I Agree

rxj71
12-06-2005, 06:32 PM
I was under the impression that the term "flipper" only applies to those that actually buy the item to sell it for a profit. I don't think you'd call someone a "flipper" if they buy the GB at $150 and sell it for $75...

wizard-comics
12-06-2005, 06:40 PM
I was under the impression that the term "flipper" only applies to those that actually buy the item to sell it for a profit. I don't think you'd call someone a "flipper" if they buy the GB at $150 and sell it for $75...

true a flipper would at least get what he put into it...someone that buys a gold bucky for $150.00 and sells it for $75.00 is, among other things, an idiot...unless his shipping and handling is $200.00.. :eplus2: .then he is a ebay fee avoider....also refered to as cheap @ss :laugh:

Captain Late
12-06-2005, 06:45 PM
I think the impact of flipping is felt when there may actually be enough statues to cover everyone who actually desires one but because of the speculative nature of a super-limited piece EVERYONE wants one. I'm part of the problem myself because while I'm not a completist I try and pick up all the exclusives in case I ever want to be one...

kirthew
12-06-2005, 06:56 PM

Actually.. that person would still be considered a flipper... they bought something and then sold it... could be more... or could be less...the transaction of buying something and then reselling it is a flip. So your LCS take the comics he/she buys from Diamond... marks them up 35 percent (Come on.. we all know LCS dont pay cover) and sells them to you. Becomming a flipper.

wizard-comics
12-06-2005, 07:04 PM
I think the impact of flipping is felt when there may actually be enough statues to cover everyone who actually desires one but because of the speculative nature of a super-limited piece EVERYONE wants one. I'm part of the problem myself because while I'm not a completist I try and pick up all the exclusives in case I ever want to be one...

not in anyway a completist myself...but by flipping gold Bucky or Vision..the money generated will buy many more statues and or bust....don't need to be a completists...just need a way to afford the hobby...if selling phasing Vision for $600, or around that price.....that'll pay for (at current ebay prices) a regular Vision, Venom, Sabretooth, Nightcrawler, Deadpool, and maybe a Gambit too!..(that's not counting shipping but you get the idea!)

Stef Jelos
12-06-2005, 07:12 PM
A 'flipper' aside from being a big pile of stinky poo, is one who buys anything for the sole purpose of quickly reselling at a higher price. There are flippers in real estate, used car sales and the drug trade...you f*$^$ing flippers are in good company.

risingstar
12-06-2005, 07:29 PM

Considering the quick and easy money turnaround of some of these exclusives and limited rarities, the flippers and speculators won't be going away any time soon...

By this time next year, there may be as many as twice the existing amount of exclusives and rarities... That, in addition to the possibly of BD taking another hiatus in 2007, I'm curious to see how that will all play out...

kirthew
12-06-2005, 07:41 PM
A 'flipper' aside from being a big pile of stinky poo, is one who buys anything for the sole purpose of quickly reselling at a higher price. There are flippers in real estate, used car sales and the drug trade...you f*$^$ing flippers are in good company.

Alright Mr. Negative... open your mind... and stop the negative vibes... EVERYONE IS A FLIPPER!... Your grocery store, your comic store, where you buy your clothes... Everyone buys something and resells it at a higher price... I am sorry you did not get the statue you wanted.. I am sorry that you think that the whole flipper community is out to get Stef Jelos... I am sorry you feel that way... but quit being so negative.

Tetragrammaton
12-06-2005, 07:42 PM
I agree.

I do think the flipper community is out to get Stef Jelos. :)

wizard-comics
12-06-2005, 08:09 PM
I know I'm out to get him... :laugh:

Lay-Z-boy
12-06-2005, 08:28 PM
Kirthew

Nobody is debating that a flipper is a seller, it is as obvious as knowing that there are
some people that intend to keep their collectibles and not sell them.
You cannot deny that the "Collector's club" was created specially for....collectors, and
that it is understandable that a collector feels anger and frustration when their
opportunity to get a collectable while being a member of the "Collectors Club" gets
taken by somebody that is not interested in collecting the item.
Do flippers know that they can still but stuff from Bowen without being a club member?
But of course flipper become club members to get an extra profit and by doing that
they take the opportunity away of a collector. and that's where the problem between
flippers and collectors start.
As I stated on another thread, collectors do have a reason after all.

Please don't take this as an attack on you. I just want you flippers to comprehend that
there is a logical and valid reason to all of this "whining" by collectors. :)

- U

kirthew
12-06-2005, 08:41 PM
Kirthew

Nobody is debating that a flipper is a seller, it is as obvious as knowing that there are
some people that intend to keep their collectibles and not sell them.
You cannot deny that the "Collector's club" was created specially for....collectors, and
that it is understandable that a collector feels anger and frustration when their
opportunity to get a collectable while being a member of the "Collectors Club" gets
taken by somebody that is not interested in collecting the item.
Do flippers know that they can still but stuff from Bowen without being a club member?
But of course flipper become club members to get an extra profit and by doing that
they take the opportunity away of a collector. and that's where the problem between
flippers and collectors start.
As I stated on another thread, collectors do have a reason after all.

Please don't take this as an attack on you. I just want you flippers to comprehend that
there is a logical and valid reason to all of this "whining" by collectors. :)

- U

But who is to say that as a member of the collectors club... I myself am not a collector??? I want a Chrome Iron Man... but might not want a Gold Doop... Knowing I could flip the Gold Doop... am I suppose to take my name out of the hat to let a collector get one?

darthrobbler
12-06-2005, 10:01 PM
Guys, it doesn't really matter....................there is a special place in Hell for us flippers where the only Bowen stuff we will be able to see will be Bucky, Ghost Rider, Karnak and Doc Samson busts!! Oh the horror!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:REPENT NOW FLIPPERS!!!!REPENT AND SAVE YOUR SOUL!!!!!!!

darthrobbler
12-06-2005, 10:06 PM
But who is to say that as a member of the collectors club... I myself am not a collector??? I want a Chrome Iron Man... but might not want a Gold Doop... Knowing I could flip the Gold Doop... am I suppose to take my name out of the hat to let a collector get one?
Gold Doop? What have you heard? I thought this was a well guarded secret...

Meta Jon
12-06-2005, 10:26 PM
Alright Mr. Negative... open your mind... and stop the negative vibes... EVERYONE IS A FLIPPER!... Your grocery store, your comic store, where you buy your clothes... Everyone buys something and resells it at a higher price... I am sorry you did not get the statue you wanted.. I am sorry that you think that the whole flipper community is out to get Stef Jelos... I am sorry you feel that way... but quit being so negative.
:laugh:
I think it's mostly the Bowen 13 out to get him