PDA

View Full Version : Wolverine MB question...

WJLeary
12-13-2005, 10:57 AM
Let me preface this post by stating this is not meant to be a harsh criticism or anything like that. I honestly have the highest respect for Mr. Bowen and his work.

Now, my question; Why do you suppose Bowen didn't put hair on Wolverine's arms? It could have been either painted on with a very fine brush or discretely sculpted/etched in and shadowed to bring it out? Seriously, isn't Wolverine's hair a major part of his character? He's supposed to be part animal, and most artists depict him with very hairy arms, etc. The Weapon X MB doesn't even have any hair! LOL.

Since the Logan FS does have hair sculpted in, I would think that they could have done the same for the MB's. What do you guys think?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v51/WJLeary/385px-Wolverine17.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v51/WJLeary/396px-Uncanny133.jpg

Meta Jon
12-13-2005, 11:25 AM
I think he's started using a Lady's bic disposible razor

pmpknface
12-13-2005, 11:46 AM
Good question! Maybe next time there's a Wolive bust (c'mon... you know eventually there will be another one) he'll do it!

Also, that cover to Wolvie #17 would make a KEY pose!

Jesse321
12-13-2005, 11:56 AM
According to a couple of the sculptors that I've worked with, body hair is often times difficult to depict and can sometimes come off looking like lumpy skin if it's not done just right.

Lay-Z-boy
12-13-2005, 12:02 PM
Has anyone seen C. Moore's Savage Dragon mini bust?..now THAT is the way to depict
chest hair, I would have loved a Wolverine mini bust with arm hair depicted the same way.

risingstar
12-13-2005, 12:05 PM
The reg Punisher mini bust 'Nuff said

If you look at all of your busts and statues, you will note that most, if not all, have no facial or body hair (unless its fur or a beard). Previous posts are likely correct. Maybe body hair is extremely difficult and time consuiming to properly administer on each piece?

Just a guess here...

WJLeary
12-13-2005, 12:17 PM
Like I said, if painted in just right with a thin brush the effect could easily be achieved (IMHO). This would avoid the appearance of lumpy skin.

???

risingstar
12-13-2005, 12:21 PM
Like I said, if painted in just right with a thin brush the effect could easily be achieved (IMHO). This would avoid the appearance of lumpy skin.

???

If you feel comfortable doing it, it sounds like a plan.
Don't forget to post pics!

WJLeary
12-13-2005, 12:26 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v51/WJLeary/Wolverine1.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v51/WJLeary/Wolverine2.jpg

risingstar
12-13-2005, 04:35 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v51/WJLeary/Wolverine1.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v51/WJLeary/Wolverine2.jpg

Hey... That looks good.
Nice job!

migsmack
12-13-2005, 05:03 PM

is that photoshop? I know you're pretty handy with that tool.

mfrancoiii
12-13-2005, 05:34 PM
it looks good either way

rychehitman
12-13-2005, 06:09 PM
i am guessing thats a repaint!
Looks pretty good!

High Lord Apocalypse
12-13-2005, 06:29 PM
I think he's started using a Lady's bic disposible razor
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Jameshowlett
12-13-2005, 07:14 PM
UI think your right,I never relized that Weapon X bust is hairless.I just suspended belief a little for the other Wolverine MBs because only his arms are showing,which should have hair. That is actually a major misrepresentation of Weapon X though. Even the FS has no hair.What gives?

Bartman256
12-13-2005, 08:01 PM
Seriously, isn't Wolverine's hair a major part of his character? He's supposed to be part animal, and most artists depict him with very hairy arms, etc.

I can't answer your question, but I can definetely say that yes, Wolverine is SHORT and HAIRY.
The 2 examples you gave are both drawn by John Byrne and John Byrne's Wolverine was always REAL hairy (the John Byrne Wolverine will always be the definitive Wolverine for me).
I have noticed, depending upon the artist, Wolverines height changes, as does his build and hair/hairlessness.

If you look at the Wolverine statue by Villafane, this is a more "slender" version of Logan.
Byrnes Logan was always very short, very stocky and definetely very hairy.

WJLeary
12-13-2005, 08:49 PM
I can't answer your question, but I can definetely say that yes, Wolverine is SHORT and HAIRY.
The 2 examples you gave are both drawn by John Byrne and John Byrne's Wolverine was always REAL hairy (the John Byrne Wolverine will always be the definitive Wolverine for me).
I have noticed, depending upon the artist, Wolverines height changes, as does his build and hair/hairlessness.

If you look at the Wolverine statue by Villafane, this is a more "slender" version of Logan.
Byrnes Logan was always very short, very stocky and definetely very hairy.

Yes! ...I believe you are right. John Bryne's Wolverine is one of the best. He's the one I grew up with, and he should be represented as short and stocky, and of course "hairy." After all, if you lok up Wolverine in the Marvel Universe comics he is described in these terms.

The MB I posted is a customization that I did a while back. I bought that statue at a local (semi-local; 2 hr trip!) comic shop. Soon after bringing it home I noticed it had obvious chips that someone sloppily touched up. Needless to say I was upset, but the store refused to take any responsibility! So, I chose to experiment and see what his arms would look like with hair. I have since bought a new Wolverine to replace him.

Bartman256
12-13-2005, 09:40 PM
Here's some pics from a kit. These are owned by some on the forum...its been awhile, can't remember who has what.
One of the best, true to character sculpts IMO.

perfusin
12-13-2005, 09:54 PM
A hairless Wolvy :peoples: Maybe BD was trying to save money or ran out of hair color?? :laugh:

WJLeary
12-13-2005, 10:02 PM
Maybe the statue was trying to depict Wolverine from way back when he was trying out for the Olympic Swim Team! ...or was that Silver Surfer? Oh well, I forget.

High Lord Apocalypse
12-13-2005, 10:55 PM
I Think Its Allright As Long It Doesn't Resemble The Chrome Version Of The Hairless Statue Posted On The Thread- For All You Guys That Can't Get Enough Chrome Full Size.

rychehitman
12-13-2005, 11:24 PM
UI think your right,I never relized that Weapon X bust is hairless.I just suspended belief a little for the other Wolverine MBs because only his arms are showing,which should have hair. That is actually a major misrepresentation of Weapon X though. Even the FS has no hair.What gives?

I have always thought that the Weapon X bust is ...well.....not BD's best release!

mitthrawnuruondo
12-13-2005, 11:44 PM
Here's some pics from a kit. These are owned by some on the forum...its been awhile, can't remember who has what.
wow,i really like that,its true logan to me.anyone have any details on this kit?

WolverineX77
12-14-2005, 02:24 AM
Y'know what, I was gonna post a thead asking the same question! Eerie! :laugh: To be honest, the first thing I noticed when I opened the box to the 25th Anniv. BD Wolvie MB is that he LACKED HAIR on his arms. Hell, his face, even! Same thing w/ th brown & orange MB. I was a bit disappointed. A airless Wolvie looks like that hairless dog from Mexico (I think.). Or Mr. Bigglesworth from Austin Powers. I agree on John Byrne being the definitive Wolverine artist. A close secon and third are Jim Lee and Barry Windsor-Smith. Hell, Art Adams drew him the RIGHT SIZE! I just hope that the new Wolvie FS in P3 will NOT lack hair. And I hope Randy reads this and takes it into consideration. :)

WolverineX77
12-14-2005, 02:25 AM
Oops! I forgot to mention that Big John Buscema's Wolverine was/is perfect as well. :banghead: :buttrock:

Wolverine1
12-14-2005, 08:01 AM
Thanks Bart for those pics!

Bartman256
12-14-2005, 08:35 AM
Thanks Bart for those pics!

I hope some of the members who have this come forward with some more info.

GOHYOUTAT
12-14-2005, 08:40 AM
Well......hair or no hair....its still a nice sculpt! Though I'm not Bi I still get extremely turned off by hairy men.

WJLeary
12-14-2005, 11:18 AM
Again, I love the Wolverine MB's that Bowen has put out, especially the new yellow one! However, I do think they could have been even better with hair. Maybe Bowen can do an Exclusive Wolverine with hair and chrome claws!!! One of each costume!? ...I'd be on it in a second!