PDA

View Full Version : Is one statue a month too much for the factory in China

Bullseye
12-23-2005, 12:04 PM
I've noticed on the last number of pieces Vision and Thanos that theres been a paint problem. Do you think that one new statue a month including the busts is putting to much pressure on the factory in China hence the reduction in quality. Its been mentioned on more than one occassion that the paint application on phase 1 was better than phase 2. BTW i'm not saying the painting sucks as these guys are going an amazing job and on the cheap.

claws181
12-23-2005, 12:15 PM
I think they need to break a few fingers and everything will be fine. They just need that motivation. :eplus2:

CaptCracker
12-23-2005, 12:18 PM
I think so, all the delays got backed up so much they forced everything out.
I hope in Phaze III BD releases their product on time.

Tao
12-23-2005, 01:09 PM
"the beatings will continue until morale improves"

Tao
12-23-2005, 01:10 PM
Seriously, I think the paint issues just show that they are rushing to get the items out, because they are not allowing time to dry.

Dj-B13
12-23-2005, 01:14 PM
what tao said is prolly true too.

Nightcrawler777
12-23-2005, 01:15 PM
Seriously, I think the paint issues just show that they are rushing to get the items out, because they are not allowing time to dry.

Yep..
What he Said...

Meta Jon
12-23-2005, 01:42 PM
"the beatings will continue until morale improves"
I just found my new shop motto! :laugh:

Capt. America
12-23-2005, 01:51 PM
I think so, all the delays got backed up so much they forced everything out.
I hope in Phaze III BD releases their product on time.
Totally agree!!!!

rychehitman
12-23-2005, 01:59 PM
Now THIS is a thread I hope Randy reads when he gets back!

I for one would MUCH RAther HAVE one fs every TWO months that is error free and shipped on time!

Wouldn't hurt the old pocket book either! I suppose it all has to do with the licensing and what he wants to see produced before the license is over. If the current license ends in 24 months, I am sure Randy would like to see 24 or more FS's produced...but would WE rather have 12 or 18 as a consumer?

Colossus
12-23-2005, 02:16 PM
I say let the people that have had problems with paint go to china and do canings on the painters I bet that would straighten things up! j/k yeah I agree if were able to go at a normal pace probably less errors would happen.

Relic Reaper
12-23-2005, 02:21 PM
What do you expect from poverty stricken 8 year olds... they have a hard time holding the paint brush.

Yeah. That's real constructive, not to mention sensitive. :rolleyes2

kirthew
12-23-2005, 02:27 PM
Yeah. That's real constructive, not to mention sensitive.

It was a ha ha funny joke... kinda like the beating moral jokes in this thread... or break a few fingers to get things done...

Sniper
12-23-2005, 02:33 PM
I think they need to break a few fingers and everything will be fine. They just need that motivation. :eplus2:
that's just wrong :eplus2:

nolilia
12-23-2005, 02:44 PM
We really dont know if they only deal with just one factory in China. If it does that's one reason for the imperfections lately.

kirthew
12-23-2005, 02:53 PM
I honestly think that the imperfections are because they are trying to rush the statues out... that they have this deadline and they are just pounding them out...

badhulk
12-23-2005, 02:56 PM
Totally agree!!!!

Jameshowlett
12-23-2005, 02:57 PM
Perhaps the RUSH to get all the peices out before the end of the year conytributed to some poorly and quicly applied paint jobs?

Jameshowlett
12-23-2005, 02:58 PM
What do you expect from poverty stricken 8 year olds... they have a hard time holding the paint brush.
Would sombody please delete this?

kirthew
12-23-2005, 03:01 PM
Would sombody please delete this?

I deleted it... I like how our moral compass allows the canning of workers, the breaking of fingers... but stops at 8 year olds painting statues... These are facts of getting products here in America... they happen...

CaptCracker
12-23-2005, 03:09 PM
If Regular Vision arrives with a bad paint job I'm going to very worried at the end of every Phase. Not to mention that these sculptors work vey hard on their peices and it must really suck for them to see a bad paint job more than it is for us.

rychehitman
12-23-2005, 03:12 PM
ho ho ho :eplus2:

kirthew
12-23-2005, 03:15 PM
Remember the thread that discussed paying extra for statues and mb's to have them produced in the USA. THat one got ugly. the FACT of the matter is that these pieces are produced in China, which is known WORLDWIDE for its human rights atrocities and there more than likely are sweat shops filled with monirs involved in the process somewhere. And you know what, by buying these things you support that system. Sorry if the truth hurts, but it is the truth nonetheless!

Delete this thread too... it makes us actually think!

CaptCracker
12-23-2005, 03:17 PM
:laugh: :laugh: i was going to respond to that but it was too much to type

nolilia
12-23-2005, 03:22 PM
To me as long as they fix the problem particularly the paint will be fine with me regardless of all the circumstances you mentioned. I think they will just fixed it IN HOUSE if they have the time available. Sending them back to China would cost them more considering its a very minor problem only.

Wolverine1
12-23-2005, 03:27 PM
Like I said, forget about mbs and concentrate on the fs's!

carrillj
12-23-2005, 03:37 PM
The problem isn't the amount of statues that Bowen is releasing, the problem is that these factories are commited to too many companies and are rushing all products out in a hurry.

It really isn't fair to blame Bowen Designs for the paint issues, because I'm seeing the same problem with all companies.

By the way, has anyone else noticed how crappy action figure paints are these days?

rychehitman

okay! But just because its almost Christmas! Now you need to delete my quote! :laugh:

High Lord Apocalypse
i think the paint problems were only due to the rush to get it outta china and then outta the warehouse in the u.s., and it probably won't happen in phase lll. maybe again at the end of phase lll. so lets just pray apocalpse,sentinel or iceman don't come anywhere near december!!!!

High Lord Apocalypse
12-23-2005, 03:41 PM
stopped collecting af so would'nt know what kinds paint jobs they're getting!
speaking of paint jobs, shouldn't thanos be a darker blue. something wrong when you have a giant in baby blue!!!!!

kirthew
12-23-2005, 03:44 PM
okay! But just because its almost Christmas! Now you need to delete my quote! :laugh:

:laugh: I will get right on it... as soon as I figure out the delete key again...

Wolverine1
12-23-2005, 03:56 PM
I say kill all mbs!

bat_collector
12-23-2005, 04:03 PM
I think the bad paint job are widespread. The Superman/Batman Action figure set was absolutely terrible in its paint jobs.

However, I'm much more disappointed in a $150 - $200 statue I'm buying having a bad paint joba than a 10 dollar toy. ANd honestly, its just disheartening to get a small run like Phasing Vision only for it to be marred with a terrible paint job. just plain sucks.

I'm not sure how much is exactly in Randy's on how to fix this problem, but I would love to see this resolved.

Bullseye
12-23-2005, 04:06 PM
I'm sure this will all be taken aboard by BD. These guys in China are well able to produce top notch stuff. Its their QC which needs improving. Just look at the prototypes posted on the BD site. They look great so its possible.

bat_collector
12-23-2005, 04:08 PM
I'm sure this will all be taken aboard by BD. These guys in China are well able to produce top notch stuff. Its their QC which needs improving. Just look at the prototypes posted on the BD site. They look great so its possible.
But lets not think this problem just sprung up. Remember the punisher mini bust? I've seen this as a trend more than a recent event.

High Lord Apocalypse
12-23-2005, 04:09 PM
i'm sure bd will fix the problems with all the complaints and getting that many returns on thanos!!! i'm they'd hate to see that happen again!!!
it hurts when you buy $150 statue and has a crappy paintjob!!! especially with the prices slowing creeping up, seeing a bad fs just plain hurts!!!

Bullseye
12-23-2005, 04:12 PM
But lets not think this problem just sprung up. Remember the punisher mini bust? I've seen this as a trend more than a recent event.

Your correct but BD cannot afford to have very large numbers of Thanos being shipped back. This is gonna come to a head very soon.

galactus
12-23-2005, 04:16 PM
There are a few things at work here (IMO):

1) Things started off slow at the start of Phase II. The first pieces didn't come out in order, and now all of the little delays here and there are coming to a head. The rush to catch up has resulted in lesser quality than what we're used to.

2) All of the damn exclusives are taking time away from production of the new pieces. It's gonna suck if the entire run of regular Visions is crap because the factory wasted time painting the phasing Visions (which, apparently, are also crap).

3) Rushing to beat the "deadline". Ok, now I am not 100% sure on this, but this sounds like a load of crap to me. I can hardly believe that all of this product NEEDS to be out before the end of the year. Does Bowen need to PAY Marvel before the end of the year? That sounds reasonable. But actually needing to physically get everything delivered before the end of the year sounds fishy. What are the chances that the 2 Spidey statues are going to be out within the next week? If they're not, does Bowen lose Phase III? Of course not. Bowen wanted the $ to pay Marvel.

Bullseye
12-23-2005, 04:19 PM
So Marvel are to blame:) Greedy bastards.:)

Who's who
12-23-2005, 04:56 PM
Why doesn't Bowen Designs open a factory here in the states I mean sure the cost is cheaper in China but in the long run everyone benefits.

Have the fullsize statues done in China and with the small factory make mini busts.

The statue craze is so overwhelming now how do you see this trend in 2010?

My guess is at least 10 different statues or more a month.

A huge economic boost if these statues could be made in the U.S.A and the statues would be cheaper.

Bullseye
12-23-2005, 04:59 PM
Why doesn't Bowen Designs open a factory here in the states I mean sure the cost is cheaper in China but in the long run everyone benefits.

Have the fullsize statues done in China and with the small factory make mini busts.

The statue craze is so overwhelming now how do you see this trend in 2010?

My guess is at least 10 different statues or more a month.

A huge economic boost if these statues could be made in the U.S.A and the statues would be cheaper.

I guess no one wants to pay $300 plus for a statue or close to $100 for a bust.

Jameshowlett
12-23-2005, 05:52 PM
There are a few things at work here (IMO):

1) Things started off slow at the start of Phase II. The first pieces didn't come out in order, and now all of the little delays here and there are coming to a head. The rush to catch up has resulted in lesser quality than what we're used to.

2) All of the damn exclusives are taking time away from production of the new pieces. It's gonna suck if the entire run of regular Visions is crap because the factory wasted time painting the phasing Visions (which, apparently, are also crap).

3) Rushing to beat the "deadline". Ok, now I am not 100% sure on this, but this sounds like a load of crap to me. I can hardly believe that all of this product NEEDS to be out before the end of the year. Does Bowen need to PAY Marvel before the end of the year? That sounds reasonable. But actually needing to physically get everything delivered before the end of the year sounds fishy. What are the chances that the 2 Spidey statues are going to be out within the next week? If they're not, does Bowen lose Phase III? Of course not. Bowen wanted the $ to pay Marvel.

Perhaps he'll have to pay a fine if he is late in shipping. I don't know how Marvel and Bowen Designs worded their contract. I would assume that from what Randy has posted that he was granted to rights to do X amount of statues by x amount of time.Perhaps x amount per qaurter-just guessing here. That's a good point about the 2 Spidy-statues,heck 3(one with watertower).I gotta think they'll be released but wonder of the implicatons to Bowen from it.

Jesse321
12-23-2005, 05:56 PM
Rushing to beat the "deadline". Ok, now I am not 100% sure on this, but this sounds like a load of crap to me. I can hardly believe that all of this product NEEDS to be out before the end of the year. Does Bowen need to PAY Marvel before the end of the year? That sounds reasonable. But actually needing to physically get everything delivered before the end of the year sounds fishy. What are the chances that the 2 Spidey statues are going to be out within the next week? If they're not, does Bowen lose Phase III? Of course not. Bowen wanted the $ to pay Marvel.I don't think that it has to be "delivered" by the end of the year, just shipped from BD's ... as long as they are in transit to the distributors or consumers they will still be within the contract.

Jameshowlett
I deleted it... I like how our moral compass allows the canning of workers, the breaking of fingers... but stops at 8 year olds painting statues... These are facts of getting products here in America... they happen...

Yes,I agree with what your saying here. Just feel it's in poor taste to make light of it,thats all.
Off to shop for X-mas gifts.
:puke2:

badhulk
Totally agree!!!!
hey hulk do you sale alot of bowen stuff :eplus2:

lord odin
12-23-2005, 06:04 PM
stopped collecting af so would'nt know what kinds paint jobs they're getting!
speaking of paint jobs, shouldn't thanos be a darker blue. something wrong when you have a giant in baby blue!!!!!
The color and lack of gems are my only problems with this.

Kirk Durfey
12-23-2005, 10:35 PM
Like I said, forget about mbs and concentrate on the fs's!
I think they should stop making full sizes and instead make 4 mini busts a month! :eplus2:

rychehitman
12-23-2005, 11:48 PM
I guess no one wants to pay $300 plus for a statue or close to $100 for a bust.

I sure would pay $300/$100 for US made items that shipped on time and had better quality control!

Am I alone?

Wolverine1
12-24-2005, 02:01 AM
I sure would pay $300/$100 for US made items that shipped on time and had better quality control!

Am I alone?
I think so!

overcomebyfumes
12-24-2005, 02:05 AM
By the time I finally decided I wanted Thanos, they has already sold out on the Bowen site. My LCS got one in for me, but it was all covered with splotches.

My question is - to open the package, we had to tear off a great big piece of tape with the words "QC Passed" on it. HOW did it ever pass QC looking as bad as this?

Floating Face of Destiny
12-24-2005, 05:46 AM
Good question. I've always wondered who does the qc's on these. I've had some come in at my LCS with chips and bad paint apps. Could it be that the qc people aren't as picky as we are? :inquisiti NAAAHHHH!

RichBamf
12-24-2005, 10:41 AM
Good question. I've always wondered who does the qc's on these. I've had some come in at my LCS with chips and bad paint apps. Could it be that the qc people aren't as picky as we are? :inquisiti NAAAHHHH!

It's probably just like police who (at least in the UK) don't stop to sort out people who double park, or park in a loading bay-they probably don't want the paperwork of having to send it back.
You can tell I have road issues, yeah?

Jameshowlett
12-25-2005, 04:44 AM
By the time I finally decided I wanted Thanos, they has already sold out on the Bowen site. My LCS got one in for me, but it was all covered with splotches.

My question is - to open the package, we had to tear off a great big piece of tape with the words "QC Passed" on it. HOW did it ever pass QC looking as bad as this?
That's exactly what I thought when I opned my Thanos, He just has a small smudge on the side of his head. man he's really big. Juggy's arms are just as big.
It might have been a simple mix up in the warehouse.

Jameshowlett
12-25-2005, 04:50 AM
Originally Posted by rychehitman
Remember the thread that discussed paying extra for statues and mb's to have them produced in the USA. THat one got ugly. the FACT of the matter is that these pieces are produced in China, which is known WORLDWIDE for its human rights atrocities and there more than likely are sweat shops filled with monirs involved in the process somewhere. And you know what, by buying these things you support that system. Sorry if the truth hurts, but it is the truth nonetheless!

Come on ,that post, which is an informative and stimulating post, and your post aren't even in the same realm.

Grumpy
12-25-2005, 01:09 PM
Guys, I'd really like to see a documentary on the process of how these things are made from the time a sculptor picks up a piece of clay (or whtever it is they use) right to the moment the finished product is being fitted into its custom designed styrofoam protective casing before being put into its box and being placed on a pallet for shipment. Somehow I just can't imagine the painting process being done quickly as some of these statues are just too freakin' detailed. I also can't imagine there are 2000 painters working on one statue each. More likely there are 100 painters working on 20 each and those can't be done in a day. Wouldn't it make more sense to figure only the last 20 statues could be "rushed" and shipped before the paint was dry? All the others would drying while the last ones were being painted. I don't know, it's just a thought.

Another thought is that I can't imagine Randy rushing a Chinese factory to get a job done. On the other hand, what can cause a factory to rush a small job like 2000 to 3000 busts or statues is a larger order waiting from some other customer for say 100,000 items. If the bigger job waiting is the problem, Randy ain't gonna be able to do a thing about it.

lord odin
12-25-2005, 02:18 PM
I for one would have no problem paying a little extra and waiting longer if it means the sculpt will have a better paint job.

Sniper
12-25-2005, 02:21 PM
looks like they cant handle the job, if you look at it this way; bowen was using one factory which was probably the best in china , he then needed to hire a second factory to paint more statues and busts, I wonder with the problems of thanos ,vison and the punisher bust was the second factory the cause of this??
Probably these painters were not as good as the ones in first factory he was using... well cant get it right all the time I guess.