PDA

View Full Version : Hawkeye and Thanos observation

Iacon13
12-23-2005, 04:09 PM
OK before I say anything I would like to qualify my response by saying both these pieces are awsome and I got a Thanos and have every intention of getting Hawkeye. Hawk is number one on my list for phase 3. Having said that has anyone else noticed that the cool base details on these guys are on the back of the statue so you will rarely see it unless you get 2 of each. For example the eyeball on the one skull is on the back of the Thanos piece. Also you cannot see the face of cap shield, Thor's hammer or Ironman helmet except from the back. you can see Ultrons head and hand as well as the sword but I thought it would have been cooler if you could see the remnants of the other heroes. Anyone agree..disagree or have any opinion on this? My 2 cents...

High Lord Apocalypse
12-23-2005, 04:12 PM
i totally agree with you, i wanted to see iron man in the front. that goes for namor too, the hammerhead shark is in the back!!!! whats up with that??? noone is gonna point their statue backwards to see a small detail in the back, but the same small detail makes a big difference if it were on the frontof the statues base!!!!!

Iacon13
12-23-2005, 04:15 PM
i totally agree with you, i wanted to see iron man in the front. that goes for namor too, the hammerhead shark is in the back!!!! whats up with that??? noone is gonna point their statue backwards to see a small detail in the back, but the same small detail makes a big difference if it were on the frontof the statues base!!!!!

Right I forgot about Subby...He also has some of the same issues. I kinda see why it was done that way as I think the extras on the base were meant as an extra treat for the fans (like easter eggs on DVD's) but if you can't see them its kinda like dangling candy in front of a kid.

Bullseye
12-23-2005, 04:20 PM
And Venom with Spidey in the back. Spidey and Venom at the back. I like the idea.

galactus
12-23-2005, 04:21 PM
LESS BASE, MORE STATUE!!!!!! (or, less base, lower cost)

Bullseye
12-23-2005, 04:22 PM
I like the mixture of bases and poses of this phase. It depends upon the character of course.

carrillj
12-23-2005, 04:24 PM
I like the base the way it is. Too many objects in front of the base would have taken something away from the Hawkeye sculpt.

nbr3bagshotrow
12-23-2005, 04:26 PM
Calls for a display case with a mirrored back. Dang, I've got to get me some.

Bullseye
12-23-2005, 04:31 PM
Calls for a display case with a mirrored back. Dang, I've got to get me some.

Rotating display stands would be better.:)

Das Brutah
12-23-2005, 04:39 PM
I had similar thoughts, especially for the Hawkeye FS. I believe including items like Cap's shield, Iron Man's helmet, Thor's hammer and Ultrons head/hand all in the front of the piece would visually make the piece too busy.

You could argue that adding detail to the back of the piece balances the overall composition of the piece by maintaining the focus on the main character when viewing the sculpt from the primary staging view. This also adds to the appeal and detail when viewing the piece from the different angles than the primary viewing angle.

Wasn't there talk about other items like Ant Man's Hemlet or Wonder Man's sun glasses also being included?

Iacon13
12-23-2005, 04:57 PM
I had similar thoughts, especially for the Hawkeye FS. I believe including items like Cap's shield, Iron Man's helmet, Thor's hammer and Ultrons head/hand all in the front of the piece would visually make the piece too busy.

You could argue that adding detail to the back of the piece balances the overall composition of the piece by maintaining the focus on the main character when viewing the sculpt from the primary staging view. This also adds to the appeal and detail when viewing the piece from the different angles than the primary viewing angle.

Wasn't there talk about other items like Ant Man's Hemlet or Wonder Man's sun glasses also being included?

I do see your point and the point of cirrillj. I just find it irritating to not be able to see all those details without of course a mirror or rotation. I also agree it would have been a little distracting. Maybe its just my affinity for Cap and Iroman but I would like to have seen those details a little more clearly. I also thought if you can't see the detail whats the point of having it.

farrisvt
12-23-2005, 05:08 PM
I like the base that way. To me it adds to it. I just have them in a place where you can easily see around the statue. I hope Randy does more of this.

COI
12-23-2005, 05:09 PM
I also thought if you can't see the detail whats the point of having it.

Then maybe they should only paint one side of the statue and leave the side "you can't see" blank. They'd be done faster, and would cost less. :laugh:

to me my board!
12-23-2005, 05:13 PM
Rotating display stands would be better.:)

I would LOVE one of those! that would be the ultimate display unit!

Dear Santa....

to me my board!
12-23-2005, 05:17 PM
The same could also be said for any statue or even mini bust. The detail on the back of the statues/busts are quality also...

Underdog07
12-23-2005, 05:24 PM
Interesting point. I display all my statues on their sides so I can see the edition number and sculpture. Never thought of standing them up to see what the sculpt is of.

to me my board!
12-23-2005, 05:25 PM
Interesting point. I display all my statues on their sides so I can see the edition number and sculpture. Never thought of standing them up to see what the sculpt is of.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :peoples:

Jack8022
12-23-2005, 05:41 PM

<I had to come back and edit>
I agree. The Namor and Hawkeye bases have gone a bit overboard IMO as well as having driven the price up. The extra details do little but distract form the main piece of the sculpt, the character.

Look at the Magneto statue, great character sculpt that didn't need an overwhemling base. Or JC's Spiderman jumping over the water tower.

While Namor may not be as interesting looking in his green trunks, the focus should still be on him not the fish and the coral. These extra details also drove the price up over the $200 mark. I bought it because he such a major character but it was the first time I felt a little sour after buying a BD piece.

I'm not a fan of the Avenger bits and pieces on Hawkeye's base and I'm more than curious how much they are going to run up the tab on Hawkeye's price. The character sculpt alone is great where it didn't need the additional hook to sell, IMO.

The short of it, for me anyway, is that this ultra-base thing is starting to feel like a gimic where it's not needed. It looks like it's going to continue with Rogue smashing through the wall.

They're Statues!
12-23-2005, 05:45 PM
I see this as an argument for the mini statue. I personally display my statues in mirrored cases so you can get a sense of the back, but one of the things I liked about the mini statues was to display them beside the full size and facing a different direction, again to give a sense of the sides you can't see.

lord odin
12-23-2005, 05:55 PM
Ditto

to me my board!
12-23-2005, 05:56 PM
I agree. The Namor and Hawkeye bases have gone a bit overboard IMO and driven the price up. I mean look at the Magneto statue, great character sculpt that didn't need an overwhemling base. While Namor's fish and super- detailed coral look good, it drove the price up over the $200 mark. I'm curious at how much the Avenger bits and pieces are going to run up the tab on Hawkeye. The short of it, for me anyway, is that I'm just more interested in the character than the base it's on.

I dunno, this is a tough one - I agree to some degree that statues should be all about the characters, but on the other hand bases help to enhance the character's personality even more so.

For example, Dr Doom without the castle base would have lessend the overall impact and quality of the statue in my opinon, whilst Namor on a flat base (i.e Magneto) would have been just as good as the coral base (and at a lower cost)

It all depends on the pose - if its an action pose then it deserves a more interesting base. Just my opinion.

Iacon13
12-24-2005, 06:47 AM
Then maybe they should only paint one side of the statue and leave the side "you can't see" blank. They'd be done faster, and would cost less. :laugh:

Dammit you know what I meant....why is there always a smart ass when a legitimate question is asked....dammit.... :p

Kirk Durfey
12-24-2005, 07:36 AM
I like the more complex bases. I don't think that any of them overwhelm the figure, but rather enhance them...

Capt. America
12-24-2005, 02:52 PM
I like the more complex bases. I don't think that any of them overwhelm the figure, but rather enhance them...
I agree :buttrock:

migsmack
12-24-2005, 02:53 PM
The cool thing is that you can turn all your pieces to any angle you choose and its awsome the details on the back while most go under displayed there are cases where it is important that these features are there. A Big G display with the FF at his heals all around is cool. They're 3 dimensional if it were plain then we would be flooding all the other sections on this forum. BD has definitly got a theme, and it works. A rotating base is agreat idea, I've thought many times that I'll get a motorized rotating base to feature one statue for say a couple of weeks/month and cycle through my favorites.

The General
12-24-2005, 03:34 PM
I agree. I like cool bases but I'd prefer more statue.

High Lord Apocalypse
12-24-2005, 08:31 PM
i want more bas,more statue and lower cost. and while i'm on a roll asking for too much, throw in a phasing vision also!!!

Sniper
12-25-2005, 03:03 AM
indeed!!!! :buttrock: