PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy a Thanos now or wait?

DarthBane99
12-26-2005, 04:15 AM
Hey, new to the high end world of Bowen FS collecting, having picked up a Magneto, Sabertooth, & Juggernaut and now playing catch up with several X-Men related FS ones. Trying to stick to only X-Men universe, but Thanos is one of my Marvel favs, so after hearing all the issues with paint errors, etc with him, should I still go ahead and place an order with an online store, or hold off to hear about the statues that ppl have already sent back to be destroyed/replaced?

I dont want to wait too long and have him sell out completely, but at the same time, seems like a huge hassle to order one, get a crap one, have to send back, wait to get a replacement (or worse, get a refund and no statue) My LCS said they were getting 1 in, and dunno if they can order more....so I think my only option is an online store.

Part of the reason I was considering holding off was even amongst the paint error-free Thanos, he seems to be really really light blue - robin's egg blue - I expect final products will differ from the intial pics (*cough ToyBiz *cough) but considering the issues with this piece, I was unsure if the damaged Thanos that are being sent back might be replaced with a darker more accurate paintjob. I kinda wanted to wait and see how it goes with other ppl's replacements. I wouldnt be so picky with the current paintjob, but considering how much FS can cost, I would really like a perfect, deep blue Thanos.

Anyways, would like to hear any opinions from any of the experienced pros of the boards.

galactus
12-26-2005, 04:20 AM
I would doubt that completely new, darker paint jobs will be done, so that is something you will need to take care of on your own. If you PLAN to do that anyway, then it wouldn't matter if the one you get has a crappy paint job, so you may as well order it now if you think it's a good price.

In terms of getting a good piece and keeping it as is, you won't be 100% sure about the condition until you see the actual piece. Either hit another local store if you can, or e-mail the retailer you are purchasing from and ask for the specific condition if you can.

Mr. X
12-26-2005, 04:56 AM
Yeah, I feel the same way. I want this statue bad, but am scared out of my mind should it come to be with the bad paint job. Thanos, compared to other Bowen statues isn't cheap either. As for the blue paint scheme, I think its a little on the too light side and wish it was more like the Diamond Select one but the sculpt is just too good to pass up. I'm planning on buying from a seller I put on my Ebay Favorite Seller List, but will have to ask about his return policy should the statue come defective. I just hope he offers it. He claims to be Bowen's west coast distributor, usually has mass quantities of statues on hand, and may charge more than usual for his Bowens, but I've had very good service with him in the past. I've bought from him like three times already.

By the way, has anyone noticed not many Thanos statues are on Ebay? I know he's limited to 2000, but I've seen less produced statues sell in more quantities. The paint issue has a definite effect there.

risingstar
12-26-2005, 05:26 AM
If you get one with a good paint job, it is totally worth it. If not, pass on it. I'd rather have no statue than one with such obvious flaws. Ask the seller about the condition of the statue. State clearly that you do not want one with the paint imperfections.

My Thanos (571/2000) had paint splotches (about ten diff spots) on both sides of his body. Returning it was a no-brainer and BD was wonderfully accomodating about it.

lord odin
12-26-2005, 07:16 AM
My Thanos has no paint problems other than it`s shade of blue is off.
I`d like to know how/who approved this shade of blue and why.
The vision statue is the last statue i`m preordering from any company i`ll take my chances on allocation and wait to see the sculpt in person before I spend any money on something I have to spend more money on to get repainted.

nexus
12-26-2005, 10:49 AM
This statue is amazing. One of the best yet, IMO. I think the paint job is okay as I haven't really inspected. May be light blue, I don't know, but looks fine to me.

The General
12-26-2005, 10:59 AM
Now is the best time to buy.

Dj-B13
12-26-2005, 11:00 AM
yep, all of them down here in Hawaii is also sold out! :buttrock:

overcomebyfumes
12-26-2005, 11:05 AM
I've had one come to my LCS with a REALLY messed up paint job and I passed on that one. I've decided since that I really really really really really really want this statue, so I've ordered one through an online retailer. If the paint jobs fine, I'll keep it, and if it's screwy, I'll spend the extra $$$ and have it custom painted.

fhurtado3627
12-26-2005, 02:35 PM
I am with you guys who prefer to see this statue in person and then make the decision to buy. I will stop by my lcs this week and see what they got.

DarthBane99
12-26-2005, 02:49 PM
thanks for the tips

despite my preference for a much darker blue Thanos, if this what the final Bowen product is, then I will still be getting it - a slightly-off color Thanos is still better than none :)

the only thing that made me hesistate was the fact that it seemed BD was accepting returns on all the statues - even if they dont have obvious paint errors - that led me to believe that maybe the Chinese factory got the paint order messed up, and BD was gonna do a whole new batch with the corrected colors. That would be the only thing to annoy me - spending a decent amount of $$ on the current version, only to see a "fixed" one coming out in a couple months - and having to hassle with returning, etc

Gah, such a headache, why couldnt this have happened to a FS I wasnt planning on buying (Man-Thing!)

PS - (Apologies to Man-Thing fans, lol :laugh: )

Sniper
12-26-2005, 04:02 PM
thanks for the tips

despite my preference for a much darker blue Thanos, if this what the final Bowen product is, then I will still be getting it - a slightly-off color Thanos is still better than none :)

the only thing that made me hesistate was the fact that it seemed BD was accepting returns on all the statues - even if they dont have obvious paint errors - that led me to believe that maybe the Chinese factory got the paint order messed up, and BD was gonna do a whole new batch with the corrected colors. That would be the only thing to annoy me - spending a decent amount of $$ on the current version, only to see a "fixed" one coming out in a couple months - and having to hassle with returning, etc

Gah, such a headache, why couldnt this have happened to a FS I wasnt planning on buying (Man-Thing!)

I doubt they would repaint them in a different shade, they already have the light blue bought and ready to go.

Iacon13
12-27-2005, 12:45 AM
I stranuously recommend getting it. I had thought about skipping this one and am really glad I tracked one down. Just make sure you buy it in person so you can make sure the paint job is good but do it soon because this piece won't sit at the LCS for long not with so many being sent back to Bowen. On top of which most stores I went to were allocated so you know it will fly soon.
PS Manthing was awsome too!

Capt. America
12-27-2005, 11:39 AM
Go ahead and get one bite the bullet....Get it while you can!!!!

Spider67
12-27-2005, 11:56 AM
I would get this now if I were anyone. I am sure if there are any issues you can get someone to touch it up or do it yourself.

nolilia
12-27-2005, 01:51 PM
thanks for the tips

Man thing is easy to fix if it has a paint problem. Just dip him on the sewer and problem is fixed. :puke2: That's easy.

:laugh:

Collection King 13
12-27-2005, 01:55 PM
Thanos is a great sculpt but the paint is the worst BD has put out yet! Even the gems were colored wrong... THey shouldve been gems and not painted like the DST statue! now thats a great Thanos statue! I say pass on the BD one and get the DST!

stormshadow007
12-27-2005, 02:29 PM
Just got mine and luckily no paint problems. Massive statue. I don't have the DST version but judging from the pictures posted earlier, the bowen version is much more proportioned. It would've looked better with a darker shade of blue like what most have mentioned. DST has arms and hands that reaches his knees, which looks kinda' funny.

DarthBane99
12-27-2005, 02:37 PM
Has Randy ever replied in the forums exactly what happened with the Thanos paint? I think he mentioned somewhere why there are the paint errors - the factory didnt allow the paint to dry fully when it was packaged - but has anyone asked him why Thanos ended up so light blue? I mean, the Thanos bust isnt this color - you would think they would want to keep them the same colors, just for accuracy amongst BD products. I dunno, still seems odd...

Anways, I will order it online, since LCS says they are getting maybe 1 or 2 and they are spoken for, and in my area, the 3 closest comic stores are all owned by the same guy, so it looks like I will have to gamble and hope the one I get online isnt messed up :mad:

stormshadow007
12-27-2005, 02:41 PM
DarthBane, you can always ask the seller to open and inspect the statue before shipping it to you or during the auction if they'll allow it. Getting an open statue with no paint problems is better thatn getting a sealed one with a posibility of defects.

Jameshowlett
12-27-2005, 03:12 PM
I just read your first post and if I were you I would try to get one as fast as I can.You may have to wait a long time for one right now ,if you wait and get one later I really don't know if they;'ll be that easy to get.

Jameshowlett
12-27-2005, 03:17 PM
Yeah, I feel the same way. I want this statue bad, but am scared out of my mind should it come to be with the bad paint job. Thanos, compared to other Bowen statues isn't cheap either. As for the blue paint scheme, I think its a little on the too light side and wish it was more like the Diamond Select one but the sculpt is just too good to pass up. I'm planning on buying from a seller I put on my Ebay Favorite Seller List, but will have to ask about his return policy should the statue come defective. I just hope he offers it. He claims to be Bowen's west coast distributor, usually has mass quantities of statues on hand, and may charge more than usual for his Bowens, but I've had very good service with him in the past. I've bought from him like three times already.

By the way, has anyone noticed not many Thanos statues are on Ebay? I know he's limited to 2000, but I've seen less produced statues sell in more quantities. The paint issue has a definite effect there.

Definatly about the scarcity on ebay.I haven't seen that many myself and have to wonder if Bowen is going to "fix" all the statues with flaws or just refunds for everyone.I got mine on Thursday jnight and it just had 2 small blemishes on the side that I had to look very closely to find. The statue is top nitch HOWEVER, I'm going to display him away from my other FS since he is so big, he towers over everyone including Juggy,They all look too OFF when he's next to them.

lord odin
12-27-2005, 03:24 PM
Thanos is a great sculpt but the paint is the worst BD has put out yet! Even the gems were colored wrong... THey shouldve been gems and not painted like the DST statue! now thats a great Thanos statue! I say pass on the BD one and get the DST!
I agree with you on all this I sent a PM to see about getting this repainted.
If I knew the paint was going to look like this I never would have ordered it.

Signed: :mad: in Asgard.

stormshadow75x
12-27-2005, 03:26 PM
Get it now, despite all the complaints this piece is extremely hard to find

Dj-B13
12-27-2005, 03:28 PM
yes, I remember down here, my frined was thinking of picking this one up. Then the next day we went back to our LCS...behold: Thanos is gone, all 3 of them sold out. :laugh: :banghead:

Collection King 13
12-27-2005, 03:34 PM
I agree with you on all this I sent a PM to see about getting this repainted.
If I knew the paint was going to look like this I never would have ordered it.

Signed: :mad: in Asgard.
My LCS ordered one from Diamond for me and I told them to send it back.... Diamond said they are getting a lot of returns on this one....

DarthBane99
12-27-2005, 03:41 PM
I think one of the reasons the lack of Thanoses (Thanii? :p ) on ebay is due to returns to Diamond. I called up the LCS just to see if anybody cancelled their pre-order for Thanos, so I could still get one in person. He said they shipped their 3 back to Diamond.....I dunno if thats a case-by-case basis or a general recall type thing

Mr. X
12-27-2005, 04:59 PM
Just got mine and luckily no paint problems. Massive statue. I don't have the DST version but judging from the pictures posted earlier, the bowen version is much more proportioned. It would've looked better with a darker shade of blue like what most have mentioned. DST has arms and hands that reaches his knees, which looks kinda' funny.
Yeah, I like the Bowen sculpt better. Both the Bowen and DST versions have nice poses. But the DST one has a better paint scheme. In regards to the DST version's boots. Wow, them big ass boots!

TheMadTitan
12-27-2005, 05:32 PM
Damn, looks like there are lots of Thanos statues having the paint issues. I thought there are about 90 statues out of 2000 having the problems. I hope mines are fine.... :banghead: :banghead:

The Watcher
12-28-2005, 06:50 AM
Has Randy ever replied in the forums exactly what happened with the Thanos paint? I think he mentioned somewhere why there are the paint errors - the factory didnt allow the paint to dry fully when it was packaged - but has anyone asked him why Thanos ended up so light blue? I mean, the Thanos bust isnt this color - you would think they would want to keep them the same colors, just for accuracy amongst BD products. I dunno, still seems odd...

Anways, I will order it online, since LCS says they are getting maybe 1 or 2 and they are spoken for, and in my area, the 3 closest comic stores are all owned by the same guy, so it looks like I will have to gamble and hope the one I get online isnt messed up :mad:

I was really disappointed in the paint colors on the bust and the FS. I created a poll awhile back and most people liked the color of the bust. I don't understand the thinking but to each their own.

stormshadow75x
12-29-2005, 03:25 AM
hey, RB stated that they followed the Marvel guidelines & marvel approved .... whats the big deal?
Its still one of the best sculpts i've ever seen.... it just has a fierce & menacing look;perfect for Thanos.....
Aside from the paint issues regarding production....
this is gonna be like Silver Surfer & Cap as far as value & scarcity

DarthBane99
12-29-2005, 03:45 AM
I still think the blue still looks off, despite Marvel OKing the BD statue, they also OKed the Diamond Marvel Select Thanos figure that also just came out - and at least his deep blue color is what I consider "correct". But thats my own opinion - I still love the BD sculpt - in fact thats the only reason the light blue on the statue bugs me - the sculpt is dead-on how I picture Thanos in 3D....but to come soooo close to perfection and to fall just short (in my eyes) due to the color, thats what annoys me A BIT.

I ordered the statue, and barring any major factory paint errors, he should be arriving hopefully in the next few weeks.

Mr. X
12-29-2005, 04:49 AM
I still think the blue still looks off, despite Marvel OKing the BD statue, they also OKed the Diamond Marvel Select Thanos figure that also just came out - and at least his deep blue color is what I consider "correct". But thats my own opinion - I still love the BD sculpt - in fact thats the only reason the light blue on the statue bugs me - the sculpt is dead-on how I picture Thanos in 3D....but to come soooo close to perfection and to fall just short (in my eyes) due to the color, thats what annoys me A BIT.
You've summed up how I feel perfectly.

MASTERSHOKHAN
12-29-2005, 04:50 AM
I would get it. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/MASTERSHOKHAN/Thanos02gif.gifThe colors or close enough. Plus you can always get someone to customize it for you.

overcomebyfumes
12-31-2005, 03:03 AM
AAARRRGGGHHH!!! I FINALLY found a Thanos with a perfect paint job... then I got it home and noticed that the paint chipped on the right foot where the toe rubbed up against one of the skulls on the base.

It's not really noticable when the statue is all assembled. But it still bugs me, since I spent so much time looking for a flawless one. Gah.

Tony Coca
12-31-2005, 03:05 AM
I would get it. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/MASTERSHOKHAN/Thanos02gif.gifThe colors or close enough. Plus you can always get someone to customize it for you.
you shouldnt have to customize a statue.It should be done the right way in the first place.

MASTERSHOKHAN
12-31-2005, 07:23 AM
......true

^o^CORVUS^o^
01-02-2006, 04:55 AM
Thanos is a great sculpt but the paint is the worst BD has put out yet! Even the gems were colored wrong

Dang, the colors ARE wrong aren't they?