PDA

View Full Version : Will there be a Sideshow exclusive for everything from now on?

Grievous
12-31-2005, 04:45 PM
It seems like Sideshow is taking advantage of collectors by releasing everything with its own exclusive version. Any reason for this sudden upswing in exclusives?

cap70
12-31-2005, 04:56 PM
It seems like Sideshow is taking advantage of collectors by releasing everything with its own exclusive version. Any reason for this sudden upswing in exclusives?

Taking advantage? Why? If you don't want the exclusives or don't care for them, then don't buy them. Wait for the regulars on ebay or buy cheaper from another dealer. Some of these exclusives are really worth getting to me, while others aren't.
What Sideshow is doing is giving us collectors "options". Which is very good. I hope they keep releasing exclusives. :buttrock:

wolverinejedi007
12-31-2005, 04:59 PM
I would have to say YES!!!

Grievous
12-31-2005, 04:59 PM
I like exclusives, but I also like getting better deals on ebay... That's the dilemna.

MONSTER
12-31-2005, 05:19 PM
I like exclusives, but I also like getting better deals on ebay... That's the dilemna.

I hear ya. I would love to give all my Sideshow business to comicstatues but I keep getting sucked into buying the exclusives.

Zurbaran1
12-31-2005, 06:10 PM
I hear ya. I would love to give all my Sideshow business to comicstatues but I keep getting sucked into buying the exclusives.

Ditto. I'm an absolute sucker for exclusives but I too would rather give my money to D Rod or my local guy than SS. I can see an exclusive interspersed here and there to keep things interesting but I'm not sure I like every piece coming with an exclusive version as now appears to be the case. Choice is a good thing but I would rather see that offered as a variety of different pieces than two or more versions of the same piece. I would think that Sideshow's retail accounts aren't all that thrilled either as it does take away some of their business.

Gruson
12-31-2005, 06:28 PM
It's smart business from Sideshow to have exclusives.

If they did not, I would buy from a retailer at 30% off or wait for ebay.

With the exclusive, you HAVE to buy from them at full price.

It's worth it to me on some pieces but others...no way.

Exar Kun
12-31-2005, 06:32 PM
Clever: that 's the best way they found to oblige people to order directly from them. For EU, that's bad because the Exclusives are very expensive due to import duties whereas you can easyly find the normal edition on local store.

Point of vue is also different depending where we are located :-)

btw, I WISH A HAPPY NEW YEAR 2006 TO ALL MEMBERS OF THIS FORUM

Great forum and I enjoy it every time I am connected! Even if I have to slow down my collections for this moment of my life, I am really having fun sticking around here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cap70
12-31-2005, 06:34 PM

Exactly.

RichardW
12-31-2005, 06:40 PM
Provided I keep collecting them, I'm considering cancelling my exclusive Obi-Wan and Leia and getting it cheaper since those exclusives aren't that big a deal. Even Vader's droid isn't that major. Leia's probably the least exciting SW PF.

cap70
12-31-2005, 06:41 PM
\Choice is a good thing but I would rather see that offered as a variety of different pieces than two or more versions of the same piece.

Unfortunetly, that's the way things goes today, with basically every company out there. Some are even worse and offer much less "extras" than Sideshow.

Colossus
12-31-2005, 07:46 PM
IMO I think the sideshow exclusives would be vastly more popular if they were on a line that wasnt so expensive, people would probably get each but these 300+ price tags means $600 per release if you get both versions and is just a lot to ask from people on a near monthly basis, and not to mention that other companies are releasing great products to and have to start splitting up the dollars for statue collecting. making 500 or 750 is actually quite a large run when you look at 350 price tag, which imo 250-300 production run would be fine for that type of price tag.

I just think that if sideshow isn't careful they could ruin their own market with too many variant pieces with too high of price tags.

mrcrolley
12-31-2005, 10:49 PM
Sideshow has been doing exclusives for items that they been making as long as I have known of them (a couple of years). At least in the Figure line they have for the most part. I just did a search and came up with 99 under the term exclusive on their site. Exclusive from Sideshow (http://www.sideshowtoy.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=search&query=^basic_search.sql&q1=exclusive).

I know they had them in the form of the extra accessory for Hellboy and Van Helsing those both go back into early 2004. They also had several items in the LOTR line that were exclusives like the Balrog. As I understand it they only distributed these for Weta or we probably would have seen variant exclusives on those as well. So I don't think its a new plan for them.

I like the exclusives for the most even though some of them can be pretty lame for the extra money when you can buy them at discount without it at any number of online stores.

Moria
01-01-2006, 05:34 PM
Provided I keep collecting them, I'm considering cancelling my exclusive Obi-Wan and Leia and getting it cheaper since those exclusives aren't that big a deal. Even Vader's droid isn't that major. Leia's probably the least exciting SW PF.

I wasn't that impressed with the droid or alternate gun, but the training remote actually was a must for me. :buttrock:

Bullseye
01-01-2006, 07:26 PM
It's smart business from Sideshow to have exclusives.

If they did not, I would buy from a retailer at 30% off or wait for ebay.

With the exclusive, you HAVE to buy from them at full price.

I agree totally. I wouldn't be surprised if most items don't have an exclusive edition.

FlyAndFight
01-02-2006, 12:31 AM
Gruson pretty much nailed it with the statement that some exclusives are worth it while others aren't. The PF Lurtz exclusive bow is a significant exclusive while the 12" Luke's blaster was no big whoop.

nexus
01-02-2006, 03:21 PM
If they want to do it, more power to them. It keeps the product line interesting and keeps collectors interested (and I've missed out on all the 12" SW exclusives -- except maybe Obi Wan :) ). For the most part the exclusive features are pretty innocuous -- a $5 mouse droid, a 25 cent blaster, or even han's rapper's delight medal. So if I miss out, no biggie. But when you get into things like the light-up X-Men/Sentinel statue, the Predator mask or the Greivous cape, then I definitely prefer the exclusive because they add an extra dimension to the character. And ultimately I think they end up being more valuable. Of course, then there is the question of buying two (ex. Elektra red and white). Will that trend continue when SS releases ep II and/or III clone troopers (red, blue, yellow, white, green -- yikes), Wolverine tiger stripe and brown, Gandalf White and Gray. Hmmm. That's when it gets really crazy.

Lynxje
01-02-2006, 03:32 PM
Some exclusives are simply a must (Predator I'm only getting for the mask, Lurtz needs his bow and Grievous had to have the cape) while for others (Elektra white outfit, Vader droid) I will not be paying well over 100-150 dollars extra.