PDA

View Full Version : You think you have the definitive Supes statue? Not even close....

Saurons I
01-02-2006, 03:16 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ALEX-ROSS-ORIGINAL-SEVEN-AND-LIFE-SIZE-SUPERMAN-STATUE_W0QQitemZ6593175104QQcategoryZ88880QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Sniper
01-02-2006, 03:23 AM
I like it

d rod
01-02-2006, 03:24 AM
dunno, nice art and all but his style makes the JLA look chunky and older. if i were to have a full size, i'd love one but with more of a comic book style art. prefer to look at some fantasy statue then some dude looking at me while i'm working (sorta freaks me out). just like the DF's 1:1 head busts. i have them all except the cap america. that one freaked me out a bit as well...

Pogo4321
01-02-2006, 03:25 AM
It's up again?

Saurons I
01-02-2006, 03:57 AM
dunno, nice art and all but his style makes the JLA look chunky and older. if i were to have a full size, i'd love one but with more of a comic book style art. prefer to look at some fantasy statue then some dude looking at me while i'm working (sorta freaks me out). just like the DF's 1:1 head busts. i have them all except the cap america. that one freaked me out a bit as well...

I do agree with you about the body. I tend to like the slightly more muscular look as well. But this is still a cool piece. Alas, I can't afford it.

d rod
01-02-2006, 04:42 AM
lol. i know, i'm in the same boat.

Tetragrammaton
01-02-2006, 04:47 AM
We may all be in the same boat, but you guys are definately on the better decks. :)

daveyyojimbo
01-02-2006, 05:47 AM
That's not definitive, it's just creepy!

perfusin
01-02-2006, 08:29 AM
This is FAR from the definitive Superman statue. Never liked the out of shape older (Ross) version of Superman. IMHO. Isn't he suppose to be the MAN OF STEEL? or the MAN OF A 42" WAIST LINE? :inquisiti

k9ziggy
01-02-2006, 08:59 AM
Anybody notice that he only accepts money orders? That's a lot of green without any protection. He doesn't have a super (no pun intended) feedback either.

freaky yves
01-02-2006, 09:37 AM
and i was thinking...... i have a deja vu ?????,
where did i see this thread before

http://statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=20624

im sorry :)

lord odin
01-02-2006, 12:51 PM
No thanks. I like the premise (I like Ross' work), but there is something about the legs/thighs and the shape of the torso that doesn't quite look right.
That`s my problem with his artwork.

perfusin
01-02-2006, 01:18 PM
No thanks. I like the premise (I like Ross' work), but there is something about the legs/thighs and the shape of the torso that doesn't quite look right.

Yeah it looks like my Grandma's. :laugh:

DDura711
01-02-2006, 02:44 PM
IT'S THOSE EYES! They follow you around everywhere. Creepy damn things. :confused2

wizard-comics
01-02-2006, 03:19 PM
I Love the Ross Superman...I've never really understood how Superman would be so cut anyway...going to the gym?...where?...hard for a guy with his strength to find things to do a daily workout....

MONSTER
01-02-2006, 03:43 PM
That's not definitive, it's just creepy!

Agreed!

Pogo4321
01-02-2006, 03:51 PM
I Love the Ross Superman...I've never really understood how Superman would be so cut anyway...going to the gym?...where?...hard for a guy with his strength to find things to do a daily workout....

Reality aside (and there are arguments for how he could have a super physique) he needs to look heroic, which in this day and age requires tht he be muscular. I'll agree that he shouldn't look like Mr. Universe, but he shouldn't look like a retired 60 year old athlete either. For my money Curt Swan got him just about perfect. Where is the Swan Superman statue we need???

Dizneeguy
01-02-2006, 04:05 PM
Reality aside (and there are arguments for how he could have a super physique) he needs to look heroic, which in this day and age requires tht he be muscular. I'll agree that he shouldn't look like Mr. Universe, but he shouldn't look like a retired 60 year old athlete either. For my money Curt Swan got him just about perfect. Where is the Swan Superman statue we need???
Totally onboard with that. Superman shouldn't look like some fat, old comic geek walking the floor of a convention with a bad wig on his head. Every person I've talked to that is NOT into comics, collecting, etc., that have seen the 'side work' that I do always wonders why Superman/Batman look so fat and old when viewing Ross' art.

candyrocket786
01-02-2006, 04:26 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/DVDVampire/other/supe_01.jpg + http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/DVDVampire/other/supe_03.jpg = http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/DVDVampire/other/supes_02.jpg

JadeGiant
01-02-2006, 04:35 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/DVDVampire/other/supe_01.jpg + http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/DVDVampire/other/supe_03.jpg = http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/DVDVampire/other/supes_02.jpg

LOL :laugh:

Bullseye
01-02-2006, 04:50 PM
I'm not a huge fan of Ross's Superman. Always looks too old.

lord odin
01-02-2006, 04:53 PM
Maybe it`s because you`re reading kingdom come. :laugh:

Bullseye
01-02-2006, 04:56 PM
Maybe it`s because you`re reading kingdom come. :laugh:

Haven't read it. :laugh: His Bats and Wonder Woman are nice. But not Supes I'm afraid much like his Spider-man.

lord odin
01-02-2006, 04:57 PM
Haven't read it. :laugh: His Bats and Wonder Woman are nice. But not Supes I'm afraid much like his Spider-man.
You should read kingdom come it`s one of the best stories wrote. :buttrock:

Kdawg59
01-02-2006, 04:58 PM
See Robert I am the opposite... Ross Superman is about the only one I ever thought was decent enough to hold any interest in the character... but still this piece is also too much for me... just preference over the obvious quality of the piece...

mwf6171
01-02-2006, 05:09 PM
meh........Ross' art, IMO is crap......so no thanks.......now if there were a full sized Power Girl.............:D

lord odin
01-02-2006, 05:19 PM
meh........Ross' art, IMO is crap......so no thanks.......now if there were a full sized Power Girl.............:D
That would be a life size bust. :laugh:

Bullseye
01-02-2006, 05:35 PM
See Robert I am the opposite... Ross Superman is about the only one I ever thought was decent enough to hold any interest in the character... but still this piece is also too much for me... just preference over the obvious quality of the piece...

I just prefer McGuinness's style KD. Jims Bust is a very nice version.
http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=13895

Zurbaran1
01-02-2006, 05:45 PM

Nope, not always. He's done the younger Superman. Just look at the Mythology book cover and Giclee. It really depends on which version of Ross Superman you are looking at. I personally prefer the younger one. I don't like everything he does but his work is certainly not crap.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b396/Zurbaran1/Mythologyfrontcover_lg.jpg

Bullseye
01-02-2006, 05:46 PM
Nope, not always. He's done the younger Superman. Just look at the Mythology book cover and Giclee. It really depends on which version of Ross Superman you are looking at. I personally prefer the younger one. I don't like everything he does but his work is certainly not crap.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b396/Zurbaran1/Mythologyfrontcover_lg.jpg

Never said it was crap. :) I bought his Avengers piece which is awesome. Also love his Wonder Woman.

Zurbaran1
01-02-2006, 05:50 PM
Never said it was crap....

Never said you did ;-) Just a comment that fit in with my post. I have seen his work called crap and that's just silly.

JadeGiant
01-02-2006, 05:57 PM
I like Ross's work but it is not my preference. I think the artwork goes very well with the stories and if viewed without any context, it loses something. Your average Joe who knows who superman is but hasn't read the comic is very likely to question why supes is old and fat when looking at Ross's work.

From a visual perspective, I also like McGuiness work - something that I think looks very nice.

risingstar
01-02-2006, 06:04 PM
I remember when Marvels came out... The comic community was floored. Then Kingdom Come was released... People couldn't get enough of Ross. Lithographs were easily commanding over $1000 a piece in the secondary market. Some original pieces or art were selling for over $20,000.

Then, like anything else, it is a question of time before people, for whatever reason, start trashing his work because, well, just because.

I am simply amazed when I see the words "crap" and "Ross" in the same sentence.

JMO

Super Serg
01-02-2006, 06:41 PM
I remember when Marvels came out... The comic community was floored. Then Kingdom Come was released... People couldn't get enough of Ross. Lithographs were easily commanding over $1000 a piece in the secondary market. Some original pieces or art were selling for over $20,000.

Then, like anything else, it is a question of time before people, for whatever reason, start trashing his work because, well, just because.

I am simply amazed when I see the words "crap" and "Ross" in the same sentence.

JMO
Agree WholeHeartedly!

*ss*

d rod
01-03-2006, 01:02 AM
I have a couple of Ross art pieces. As far as the full size statue (like I stated previously), it's not for me. Now, this doesn't take away that I loved his art in the several series that he did. Comic art doesn't always mean it would be excellent as statue art. I liked his art because it fit the story real well. I also enjoyed elseworlds. This doesn't mean that I would enjoy an elseworld character to be a regular series. Sometimes the change of pace is nice.

Ish
01-03-2006, 01:07 AM
i'm not a fan of ross's "realistic" style, i would rather have a jim lee or mcguiness life size any day

mwf6171
01-03-2006, 01:07 AM
Never said you did ;-) Just a comment that fit in with my post. I have seen his work called crap and that's just silly.

No that was me. In my opinion his stuff is crap. I would have to be paid to have anything of his in my collection. That being said, the two Batman posters he made are at least decent. Probably the only two things of Ross' that I wouldn't classify as crap.

Ish
01-03-2006, 01:12 AM
No that was me. In my opinion his stuff is crap. I would have to be paid to have anything of his in my collection. That being said, the two Batman posters he made are at least decent. Probably the only two things of Ross' that I wouldn't classify as crap.
agreed :laugh:

Kirk Durfey
01-03-2006, 01:52 AM
While I like Ross's art, I wouldn't want a life size statue based on it. Actually, I don't think I'd want a life sized statue based on anybody's art...