PDA

View Full Version : wktf and Sam Wilson's Comic Reviews, 1/5/06

Sam Wilson
01-06-2006, 10:03 AM
Sam Wilson’s Reviews

A light week this week, as can be expected for the first week of the year. Having been MIA for most of its issues, Warren Ellis’s Iron Man finally popped up this month (what exactly is the current storyline about anyway? Stay tunes), new super-writer Daniel Way is back this month sticking it to the man with Supreme Power: Nighthawk , a couple of “Infinite Crisis” crossover issues; Teen Titans and The Outsiders, and my pick of the week, Warren Ellis’s balls to the wall urban cop take on “Hearts of Darkness”, Down. I should also mention my esteemed colleague, wktf’s LCS had their shipment delayed for one day (shame on you diamond distributors) and his reviews will be added later today or tomorrow. As always, with that being said, on to the reviews…

Down issue #3 (of 4)
DC/Wildstorm
Written by: Warren Ellis
Drawn by: Cully Hamner

For those of you who haven’t gotten the first couple of issues of Down, allow me to break down the story thus far: Down is the latest crime tale from mostly sci-fi writer Warren Ellis, and he brings us headfirst into the seedy word of undercover narcotics. The protagonist’s name is Detective Deanna Ransome, recent transfer from the NYPD. In the middle of an undercover op, she witnesses a rape in progress and well, looses all self control and kills every last motherfu$#er on the scene, and in the midst of things three of her fellow officers are gunned down as well. Anyway, Detective Ransome is given some time off, and then her Lieutenant calls her for an “off the record” meeting. The fallout from blowing the undercover op is pretty severe, the Lt. tells Detective Ransome she will never work the field again, and she is lucky she still has a job. Soon we learn why Detective Ransome has such a mad-on for rapists, and she’s offered an interesting assignment, a special “off the books” assignment from the Lt (it is made clear this is her only option other than desk work). A few years prior, the Lt. had set up another “off the books” assignment for an undercover narcotics officer by the name of Nick River. River was to infiltrate the Mendoza Mob, a viscous bunch who were essentially in control of the entire city; the police couldn’t touch them. Nick River was sent undercover by the Lt. charged with one task, start at the bottom, get to the top next to Ben Mendoza and then torture, mutilate, murder and autopsy his a$# and display it for the entire city to see. Well, that all happened, but instead of going on with his policing career, Rivers went native and took over the Mendoza mob instead. Enter Detective Ransome, her assignment; bring Nick Rivers back into the fold, one way or another.

Issue two has Detective Ransome establishing her place in the Mendoza organization, using a method that is violent, brutal and ballsy all at the same time. Mind you Ransome is definitely prone to violence, but all her present actions are not only condoned, but more or less ordered by her supervisor to ensure she infiltrates the Mendoza mob without question as to her loyalties, and that is accomplished in ways that you would never expect an undercover police officer to partake in. Yeesh. Trust me, totally brutal. Issue three has Ransome meeting with Nick River and being ordered on a personal assignment (a hit of course) by him, again as a test of loyalty, but also as a show of loyalty, Ransome’s actions thus far have impressed Rivers and brought her close enough that she is being trusted with personal tasks ordered from “the boss”.

So the question remains, “Is Deanna going to go too far herself and become that which she has been sent to destroy, or will she finish the job as ordered?” Given the brevity of all she has done so far, I couldn’t answer that question. One concern I do have though is four issues? That’s it? Man, Ransome’s journey seems like it is just starting, but in 30 days it’s getting wrapped up? Well, I dunno. On the one hand, Ellis is the man, and if anyone can pull it off he can, but on the other hand, I WANT to see this series play out. I want to see Ransome work the mob, become one of them, walk that moral tightrope and ultimate make a hard decision which will cost her a lot either way she swings it. Dammit. Anyway, at this point, you are better off waiting until this series hits tpb with only one more issue left and all, or if you are bored and want to see what I’ve been going on and on about by all means, track down the back issues and get to it.

Supreme Power: Nighthawk issue #5 (of 6)
Marvel MAX Comics
Written by: Daniel Way
Drawn by: Steve Dillon

Nighthawk is the mysterious anti-hero from J. Michael Straczynski’s “Supreme Power” series, a modern take on the classic Mark Gruewald tale “Squadron Supreme”. Nighthawk, aka Kyle Richmond, is the “Batman” of his universe: we find out his parents were killed in a racially motivated incident (Kyle is black) and well, they were loaded and left him a lot of money. Nighthawk patrols the mean streets of South Chicago, and deals with that criminal element with in a brutally physical way. He’s come across with other hero’s of his earth (Hyperion, Blur) and has even worked a case with them, but isn’t their “friend”. He does what he has to do to protect his streets and see that justice is done in a swift and final manner.

Thus far in the “Nighthawk” limited series: a ne’er do well spraying anti-black statements in a black neighborhood, and well, Nighthawk catches him. Then we cut to an imprisoned pharmacist who seems to have genocidal tendencies. Oh yeah, then there is Nighthawk’s very own “commissioner Gordon” (who knew he even had one?). Issue two shows that same pharmacist break out of prison in the guise of a clown (yes, I said clown) and work on a master plan to poison a hell of a lot of people, people who no one gives a crap about, drug abusers (who just happen to be mostly made up of racial and ethnic minorities and the poor). Issue three opens up with a citywide epidemic. Overnight thousands of “crackheads” have shown up at local hospitals and died, horribly and violently. City government is in turmoil, on one hand its just “druggies” who are dying, but still, that’s a hell of a lot of people dead, oh, and the cities largest drug dealer? He’s a judge. Not to worry though, Nighthawk is on the case, and he deals with things in a swift and violent manner, but the way things are left at the end of the issue, his conflict with the genocidal clown is only beginning to heat up. Anyway, the mayor makes some tough comments concerning the victims of this current epidemic, and ends up eating his own words when our “mad clown” sets loose the same poison he is using on the crackheads onto the mayors son’s birthday party, killing most of the attendee’s including his wife and child. Then the mayor does something you would never expect, the sh$# totally hit’s the fan, Nighthawk finally catches up with the mad clown but the clown gets the drop on him and that brings us up to issue five…

Issue five is all about hate as a motivator. Way gives us a few snippets into Nighthawk’s origin in issue five, and based on everything JMS has divulged about the character so far, it’s safe to assume he is one angry muthafu$#a. Even the clown has him tied up and poisoned, Nighthawk still manages to get in his licks (by channeling the sheer force of hate it seems), and well, it’s on in issue five, that’s all I can say without giving away to much. For those of you who like “Supreme Power” but are frustrated by it’s slow moving pace, maybe “Nighthawk” is more your speed. Think Batman, but with less of a moral code and more hate. Way more hate. Damn.

The Invincible Iron Man #5
Marvel Comics
Written by: Warren Ellis
Drawn by: Adi Granov

Issue four having come out August 10th of LAST YEAR, I was hoping they would have a neat little “previously on…” page in the beginning like Marvel has been doing lately so I could be brought up to speed. No such luck. Being that this is a Warren Ellis title, it’s probably not complicated and there will be some needless exposition early on in the issue and then I’ll get caught up (NOT). UGH. Warren Ellis is cool, no question, Adi Granov is slammin’ on art, but damn if I don’t know what the fu$# is going on because of how frikkin’ late this goddman book is every goddamn month. Seriously, fu$# off with that late sh$#, sure, faithful readers will stay true to the book (like myself), but dammit if it doesn’t create some confusion (at least do one of those “previously on…” pages, damn fellas). That being said…

This new “Iron Man” series has me asking a lot of questions, and they are questions I don’t like asking. I’m not a continuity freak. Sometimes sacrifices have to be made, and I’m okay with that. Yeah, when Wolverine shows up in 4 books a month or whatever I raise an eyebrow, but say someone writes out Madelyne Pryor from the X-men mythos, I’m cool with that. Right now though, Invincible Iron Man has me raising an eyebrow. Okay, I thought he was “outed” from his secret ID, and now he’s not? I thought he was not mega rich, but sorta rich now and had that huge Stark Tower building in Manhattan where all the Avengers lived. No mention of Stark tower, no mention of the Avengers, nothing (and that’s not so bad, maybe this story takes place before New Avengers, but damn, that book is on issue 13 already). UGH, even the current Spidey titles have him in Avengers tower.

So what has happened in these the five issues so far of Iron Man’s new book? Tony has gotten his a$# kicked by some psycho redneck neo Nazi guy who has ingested this “Extremix” thing (created by Tony’s new company and new hottie scientist Maya Hansen) which has turned him into a biological combat machine. Tony needs to get fixed up fast, so he gets back to his lab and decides he’s gonna get Maya to inject him with “Extremix” so he can better interface with his armor and become some kind of biological/machine hybrid. In issue five, the story pretty much stops for 90% of the issue and we are given a brief retelling of the “Origin of Iron Man”, so if you have picked up this book just to check it out, you will truly have no idea what the current story is about. While this modern retelling is pretty cooled and detailed, WHO FREAKIN’ CARES? This book is so damn late and subsequently so confusing I don’t care anymore what is happening. Wow. Iron Man died, again, wow, he has new armor, again, BIG FREAKIN’ DEAL. Anyway, skip this, buy the trade, read the whole story in one sitting, save yourself the headache, nuff said.

Sam Wilson
01-06-2006, 10:06 AM
tpb reviews

Wktf’s Review

Captain America & The Falcon: Secret Empire
Marvel Comics
Written by: Steve Englehart & Mike Friedrich
Drawn by: Sal Buscema

The time was 1974, I was a teenager, and people from my home state were driving around with bumper stickers on their cars that said “Don’t Blame Me. I’m From Massachusetts.” Why? Because Massachusetts was the only state in the country that voted against Nixon in his land slide win for his second term in office. As a nation, we soon learned our lesson about Tricky (“I am not a crook!”) D_ick and, between the Vietnam War and Watergate, we became a country of seriously disillusioned and disgusted citizens.

Marvel Comics was never shy about addressing important social issues. They’d given us The Black Panther as our first black hero in Fantastic Four and then The Avengers, struggling disabled Vietnam Vets in Daredevil, and scenes of campus riots and drug overdoses in Amazing Spider-Man. It was time to ask the question: what happens to the nation’s fighting symbol of American values, a man created by the government of the nation he’s sworn to serve, when he questions the motives of that same government and becomes disillusioned by what he sees?

“Secret Empire” was released by Marvel last week and collects Captain America & The Falcon #169-176. In this classic arc, by one of the greatest post Lee/Thomas Marvel and then DC writers, Captain America finds he is the victim of a fascist conspiracy out to discredit him publicly, frame him for crimes he didn’t commit and replace him in the public’s mind and heart with a makeshift hero named Moonstone. An advertising and public relations campaign is launched against Cap and he seems both powerless to change the growing sentiment against him and disheartened at how quickly public perception shifts out of his favor. Moonstone, of course, is the agent of a larger group out to overthrow our government and Cap must get to the bottom of the conspiracy that threatens both him and the nation. But what he learns about his country’s leadership, and the Watergate Scandal is referenced toward the end, sickens and saddens him greatly.

This trade is notable also for showing us the first time Falcon got his wings. Frustrated that he’s no more than excess baggage to the super powered Cap (Cap had previously gained super strength for a limited time due to a dose of Serpent Squad venom anti-toxin, not explained in this volume), The Falcon contacts the Black Panther who fits him with his new wings. He returns from Wakanda with the power of flight to aid his partner, and the bond between these two is really strong in this story. Additionally, Nick Fury, most of SHIELD, The Avengers, Banshee, and even the X-Men (from before Giant-Size X-Men #1 made this group super popular) guest star in a book that also sports a retelling of Cap’s origin. It’s no secret that by the end Cap loses heart in our government (but not in American ideals), quits the Avengers, abandons his identity, and is off to begin his new though short-lived career as Nomad.

I must say that Englehart’s writing here simply is not as smooth and crisp as it was in the Avengers: The Serpent Crown trade, also from this same time period, that I reviewed a few months back the week Marvel released it. And, with the brighter glossy coating Marvel now uses on their trades, Sal Buscema’s art looks a little flatter than I recall. Still, this is an important and even a brave story, a seminal event in Captain America’s history, and a great read for any Captain America & The Falcon fan.

Sam Wilson’s Review

Catpain America and the Falcon vol. 1: Two Americas
Marvel Comics
Written by: Christopher Priest
Drawn by: Bart Sears

My fondest memories of the Falcon’s partnership to Captain America center around the Mark Gruewald era of Cap, back in the late ‘80’s early ‘90’s. Similar to the “Secret Empire” tpb that wktf reviewed, Cap became disillusioned with the Government when they told him he could only be Captain America if he did it their way. Cap refused, abandoned his Captain America identity and hit the road. To help him out a few of his former (and current) partners joined up with him, Jack Monroe aka Nomad, Dennis Dunphey aka D-man, and Sam Wilson aka the Falcon. Of all his partners though, Falcon was looked at as the most experienced and most trusted of them. Not only was he clearly established in civilian life as a social worker in Harlem, he was partnered with Cap for a long time, and they have been through thick and thin together. Going back in time to a few years before Gruewald wrote Cap, a Marvel editor by the name of James Owsley had written a four-issue series about the Falcon, and it was good. It was great in fact, it showed people Sam Wilson could stand on his own and was more than just “Captain America’s partner”. This brings us to last year, James Owsley has since changed his name to Christopher Priest and is just coming off a successful run on “Black Panther”, and a not so successful run on “The Crew” (shame on Marvel for canceling that series) and is given another shot at the Falcon with the new series, “Captain America and the Falcon” (which is published in addition to the Captain America ongoing series). Genius, possibly? Better than “The Crew”? Probably not, but alas, like “The Crew” Captain America and the Falcon had a fairly short life span (12 issue), but a memorable one, and here I review for you the first four issues of that series, collected in tpb form of course.

Captain America and the Falcon: Two Americas opens with the Falcon gone “rogue”. He breaks into Guantanamo Bay to free a prisoner there, a community activist from Harlem named Lelia Taylor. Lelia ended up in Guantanamo as an “enemy combatant”, she was in Cuba to track down drug labs run by the Rivas drug cartel, she finds something she shouldn’t have and ends up a prisoner of the US government. Yeah, I should mention the Rivas are a$# into it with the United States government, hence Lelia getting arrested and her present “enemy combatant” status. Anyway, after Sam breaks her out, Captain America is sent by SHIELD to find him and Lelia and put the kibosh on things before they get out of hand. Steve knows damn well though Sam doesn’t go half ****ed on anything, and does some digging to find out exactly why he’s breaking into US military bases and committing acts of treason. Oh yeah, I should also mention a big, scary murderous dude who can be described as nothing less than the “anti-Captain America” is also on the hunt for Sam, but for his own reason’s. We learn plenty about him in these four issues as well (hence the “two Americas”). So we got a possible Gov’t conspiracy, Falcon on the Run, Cap Vs. Cap ,the Scarlet Witch and a even a foxy SHIELD agent thrown into the mix. Oh yeah, these four issues are jam PACKED with goodness, trust me.

Yes, I would loved to have seen Captain America and the Falcon evolve into a solo “Falcon” book like Christopher Priest originally planned. No, I don’t think “Cap and Falc” should have replaced “The Crew” for Priest, but that is another beef for another time. Ultimately “Cap and Falc” was a good book that deserved a chance, more than a chance than it got (much like “The Crew”). Yes, Bart Sears art is not for everyone, yes, Priest has deep, complicated storylines that move 100 miles an hour and they are not for everyone, but damn if he doesn’t tell a good story and damn if he doesn’t bring a needed edginess to the comics world. So if you’re so inclined, pick up this first trade of his “Cap and Falc” series, it’s readily in print and available for $9.99 (cheap!). It’s definitely worth it.

Aarrgghh!!
01-06-2006, 10:30 AM
Great reviews as always, and since 4th Rail is loosing a reviewer I recommended you guys (and B_C) to take his place. I read the regular Supreme Power issues, but passed it seemed such an in your face rip-off of Batman, and I'm not a fan of Way.

wktf
01-06-2006, 11:38 AM
Great reviews as always, and since 4th Rail is loosing a reviewer I recommended you guys (and B_C) to take his place.
Aarrgghh!!, thanks for doing this. Very kind of you. :)

Aarrgghh!!
01-06-2006, 12:33 PM
Aarrgghh!!, thanks for doing this. Very kind of you. :)
Not a problem, you guys put so much effort into this and turn reviews around quick I'd love it if you got more exposure.

Sam Wilson
01-06-2006, 12:57 PM
Great reviews as always, and since 4th Rail is loosing a reviewer I recommended you guys (and B_C) to take his place. I read the regular Supreme Power issues, but passed it seemed such an in your face rip-off of Batman, and I'm not a fan of Way.

wow. Thanks bro. For real, that's really cool.

Yeah, Nighthawk is pretty much batman in the Supreme Power marvel universe (same as the white nighthawk in the regular marvel U and the original squadron supreme), there is no denying that, just like Hyperion is supposed to be superman.

Tetragrammaton
01-06-2006, 01:06 PM
Wasn't Nighthawk always essentially based on Bats.

I mean look at the Squadron Sinsiter;

Nighthawk -> Batman
Hyperion -> Superman
Dr. Spectrum -> Green Lantern
Whizzer -> Wonder Woman

Thanks for trashing Iron Man, Sam. The worst part is I agree with you.

Crom
01-06-2006, 01:24 PM
Sam, your review has convinced me to go back and read Cap & Falc Vol. 1. I may have been to quick to judge. Perhaps a second reading will help.

Thanks.

Bullseye
01-06-2006, 01:45 PM
Great reviews as always guys. I only wish i could review a book as well. Top notch.

bat_collector
01-06-2006, 01:59 PM
Thanks! That's one of the best complements anyone has given me. :)

Sam Wilson
01-06-2006, 02:36 PM

I mean look at the Squadron Sinsiter;

Nighthawk -> Batman
Hyperion -> Superman
Whizzer -> Wonder Woman

tet, it breaks my heart to trash Iron Man. Ellis is one of my favorite writers, Tony Stark is one of my favorite marvel characters, period. Why Marvel can't get their sh$# together on this title, I have no idea.

Sam Wilson
01-06-2006, 02:39 PM
Sam, your review has convinced me to go back and read Cap & Falc Vol. 1. I may have been to quick to judge. Perhaps a second reading will help.

Thanks.

Word crom. I can see the issues you had with it.

Like I was saying in the review Priest just has this street crediblity he brings to the writing table I've never seen anywhere else in comics. I mean, his falcon is 100% hood, but it's real, unlike Azzarello's Cage who is 100% BS MTV ghetto. If you haven't read Priest's "The Crew", I'd try and track down the 7 issues of that as well. Now that was DOPE.

MiamiLoco
01-06-2006, 03:39 PM
Word crom. I can see the issues you had with it.

Like I was saying in the review Priest just has this street crediblity he brings to the writing table I've never seen anywhere else in comics. I mean, his falcon is 100% hood, but it's real, unlike Azzarello's Cage who is 100% BS MTV ghetto. If you haven't read Priest's "The Crew", I'd try and track down the 7 issues of that as well. Now that was DOPE.
I totally agree with you about Priest, but I really don't think it's fair to talk about how he is able to better represent "hood." Let's go over this for a second

Priest:

http://www.vorpalbunny.com/cjpriest/Images/binky.jpg

Azzarello:

http://www.universohq.com/quadrinhos/images/azzarello.jpg

Any questions??!! :p

Sam Wilson
01-06-2006, 04:27 PM
I totally agree with you about Priest, but I really don't think it's fair to talk about how he is able to better represent "hood." Let's go over this for a second

Priest:

http://www.vorpalbunny.com/cjpriest/Images/binky.jpg

Azzarello:

http://www.universohq.com/quadrinhos/images/azzarello.jpg

Any questions??!! :p

:laugh:

You got me there brother...

wktf
01-08-2006, 01:16 AM
Wktf’s Reviews

Apologies for the delay in submitting my reviews. My lcs guy’s delivery from Diamond was mislabeled and, so, he didn’t receive his books in time for Thursday. This is the second week in a row this has happened and, needless to say, he’s pretty damn angry. He’s even got his lawyer involved now. Well, best of luck to him. Though I got my books the next day and read them Friday night, weekend family stuff prevented these reviews until Saturday night. Since my Captain America & The Falcon: Secret Empire tpb review has already been posted, so on to the all-DC Comics reviews for the week of 1/5/06!

Day of Vengeance Infinite Crisis Special #1
DC Comics
Written by: Bill Willingham
Drawn by: Justiniano

As we know from the Day of Vengeance mini series, The Spectre had been seduced by a female Eclipso. Most of us seem to forget why The Spectre is the single most powerful entity in the DCU. He is no less than God’s own avenger whose purpose is to inflict His wrath on sinful souls…God’s angel of vengeance, in other words. However, the catch is that he’s forced to bond with mortal souls to manifest his power. We know, therefore, that the primary reason for Spectre’s recent insanity is his lack of a human host without which he loses his compass needed to mete out justice. Jim Corrigan, The Spectre’s host since back in 1940’s More Fun Comics, had gone on to his reward and was replaced by Hal Jordan, a lame Spectre at best. With Hal’s return to life, The Spectre has been adrift and confused, and easily swayed by a female Eclipso as we saw in the wonderful Days of Vengeance mini series wherein The Spectre killes Shazam, one of the Lords of Order and Captain Marvel’s father figure.

In this issue the remaining magical entities, led by Zatanna, orchestrate a mad scramble in Gotham City to both collect the Seven Deadly Sins and reassemble the wizard Shazam’s shattered Rock of Eternity. Who knew this also might lead to a major change in the status of the World’s Mightiest Mortal? But the real battle is going on in parallel. In a show of cosmic symmetry, with Hector Hall’s death, Dr. Fate now is only Nabu, the last and most powerful guardian of the Ninth Age of Magic. But, in a terrific example of irony, Nabu has figured out the only way to defeat The Spectre. And, defeat him he does, by doing the most counterintuitive thing one could imagine: allowing The Spectre to succeed. You see, Nabu has not forgotten The Spectre’s origin and to Whom, ultimately, he must answer. What does Nabu do, and how does he do it? Well, you’ll need to read the book to find out. But the creative team delivers a nearly perfect one-shot story that, I believe, ties directly to…

Gotham Central #39
DC Comics
Written by: Greg Rucka
Drawn by: Kano

This comic is my pick of the week.

I so hate that this comic series is ending. What does it say about us, the comic reading public, that a fine book like this can’t find an audience? Well, the title of this arc is “Corrigan II.” The dirtiest cop in Gotham, a city rife with dirty cops, is someone named Jim Corrigan…same name as The Spectre’s first human host (see my first review, above). And, as we saw last issue, Corrigan put several rounds into one of the few clean cops in Gotham, Crispus Allen, partner of Renee Montoya. Allen’s dead. His wife and two sons, along with Montoya and much of the GCPD are stunned. But not too stunned to execute some rapid fire detective work and come up with their man. But the problem is, Corrigan’s hiding in plain sight. He’s making his rounds. He’s smiling, even as he’s being led into the precinct. What the hell’s going on here? Montoya knows something’s wrong. She just doesn’t know what it is. And it’s killing me, too. I am so hooked on this story, so angry at Allen’s death, so disgusted with Corrigan that it’s agony waiting 30 more days for the conclusion.

The real power in this book is the absolutely raw emotions felt by Montoya, Allens’ wife, and the other good cops of Gotham. It’s just devastating. And coupling it with Corrigan’s ****y smile, a smile you just want to wipe off his face, and all the bile in your belly just comes to the surface. But, the question I’m hoping will be answered in the next and final issue of this series is: as The Spectre is now being forced into his new “inadequate and temporary” (to quote Nabu from the Day of Vengeance Special) host, will the fate (pun intended) of Gotham Central’s Corrigan be linked to The Spectre’s? And will justice actually be served in a city so corrupt that even The Batman can’t fully tip the scales? I don’t know if I’ll get my answers here, in the Infinite Crisis series, or at all. As with Bendis’ “Alias” title, I’m really going to miss this series.

Superman/Shazam: First Thunder #3 of 4
DC Comics
Written by: Judd Winick
Drawn by: Joshua Middleton

Well, this title is the weakest of the three I’m reviewing but it’s still a fun read.

Having forged a newly found friendship over the last two issues, the Big Red S and the Big Red Cheese are now teaming up against Eclipso (See? These three titles do seem to tie together) and a magical being who seems to be a darker mirror image of Captain Marvel. In addition, last issue we learned that Luthor and Dr. Sevana have pooled resources in the hopes of killing their two enemies. Luthor’s emissary, Mr. Spec, has been tailing Marvel and pumping potential informants to learn what he can to bring Captain Marvel down.

The real power of this issue is in Middleton’s art which, at first, I thought was too cartoony. It’s still pretty cartoony, but Captain Marvel begs for that kind of style. If you’re not Alex Ross, making him not seem slightly like a superhero parody is doing the venerable hero a disservice. And the contrasts between Superman and Marvel, from their facial features to their mannerisms to their physiques, is really well handled. This issue also carries enough of high flying, low swooping, face punching action to satisfy readers of a title like this who should expect no less. That said, the last panel also creates a deadly cliff hanger that injects some serious gravity into this story line and may move this classic superhero team up into some new territory with the next issue. All in al, this should result in a really good trade when the final issue wraps up. I’ve been very pleasantly surprised by the series thus far.

Sam Wilson
01-08-2006, 10:13 AM
Allen's death was like a bat to the gut last month. Man, I know Rucka and Brubaker said they could keep going w/GCPD till whenever according to the higher ups at DC, I guess they just felt is time to move on. :(. Better that than the book get stale I guess, but still, damn fine book. I'll miss it as well...

JR2
01-08-2006, 03:25 PM

I mean look at the Squadron Sinister;

Nighthawk -> Batman
Hyperion -> Superman
Whizzer -> Wonder Woman

I think you mean...

Whizzer -> Flash

and to expand on that with the Squadron Supreme...

Power Princess -> Wonder Woman
Aquarian -> Aquaman
Arcanna -> Zatanna
Nuke -> Firestorm
Blue Eagle -> Hawkman
Lady Lark -> Black Canary
Golden Archer -> Green Arrow

etc.

wktf
01-09-2006, 12:11 PM
So, anyone else out there think the Gotham Central "Corrigan II" storyline is going to tie into what's going on in "Day of Vengeance"?