PDA

View Full Version : Marvel Legends Line Cancelled

Virsago
01-09-2006, 02:07 PM
Sort of.....

Marvel and Hasbro today jointly announced that they would join forces, with Marvel granting Hasbro the license to produce toys (including action figures) and games based on the Marvel super hero universe. Characters and properties named in the announcement: Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, X-Men, Captain America, and Ghost Rider. Additionally, Hasbro will produce toys based on Spider-Man 3 and Spider-Man 4. Also announced – Toy Biz Worldwide will no longer produce Marvel toys. The move was apparently made, in part, to stabilize Marvel, financially, and de-link the company's earnings from the volatile toy market.

The deal, which will see its first products ship in January of 2007, is for five years, and guarantees Marvel $205 million in royalty and service fee payments over its term. The royalty Marvel will see from Hasbro, according to Marvel, will be lower than what it saw from Toy Biz Worldwide, though it plans to make up the difference by the increased sales of Hasbro’s Marvel product.

In a separate release, Marvel announced that it has terminated its license with Toy Biz Worldwide, planning to transition all toy business, apparently to Hasbro. The termination went into effect on December 31st, 2005, one year earlier than the scheduled termination date. According to Marvel: “As a result of the termination, in 2006 Marvel-branded action figures and other toys formerly produced by Toy Biz Worldwide will be produced by Marvel. Now, with full control over Marvel-branded toys produced for sale in 2006, Marvel will be in a better position to effect a smooth transition to Hasbro in areas such as toy development, manufacturing, shipping, and retail space. As a result of this early termination, Marvel will record a one-time cash charge of $13 million - $16 million in the fourth quarter of 2005 related to the early termination and reimbursed research and development expenses. The charge is not reflected in Marvel's financial guidance for 2005, last provided on November 9, 2005.”

Marvel's Chairman, Morton Handel, said in the release: "While Marvel will own any inventory produced for 2006, our policy of predominantly manufacturing to order should help mitigate our inventory risk. Commencing in 2007, a wide range of toy and game categories - including action figures, role play and preschool toys, board games and puzzles - will be produced by our new licensee, Hasbro. We are very excited by the business prospects we see in teaming with an industry leader."

The deal, and transition make sense for Marvel as, for years, Toy Biz has shown substantial volatility in terms of Marvel’s divisions, i.e., when a property is hot, the toys (and Toy Biz) do well, but when there is no hot property to base toys upon, the division does poorly, lowering the entire company's quarterly earnings. From the earnings statements, it seemed that Toy Biz had been unable to maintain a stable baseline in regards to toy sales. This move, which apparently seeks to move some of the toy production and distribution (and associated risks) to Hasbro, which, admittedly, ha a much larger machine in place to move toys into the market, given the manufacturer’s continued success with its Star Wars, GI Joe, and Transformers lines, and placement in the larger toy market.

That’s not, of course, to suggest that Hasbro is the loser here, as Marvel licenses are still popular, and can still justify relatively large shelf displays in retailer outlets. What the agreement between the two means for Toy Biz’s future, is still unknown. Marvel and Toy Biz Worldwide struck their deal in mid-2005 for a term of five and a half years, during which, Marvel received a 15% royalty on wholesale sales of toys and an additional "service fee" of 24.5% of wholesale sales in the U.S., and 10% for international sales, according to The Wall Street Journal. The Journal credited the Marvel/Toy Biz deal (which was seen as being highly favorable to Marvel, and that Toy Biz WW would clearly renegotiate at the end of its term) as one of main causes the company saw its licensing revenue skyrocket in the early part of the decade.

Though Toy Biz is owned by Marvel, the announcement made it clear that Marvel was ending the licensing agreement with Toy Biz Worldwide, which (though confusing) is not owned by Marvel, but rather, is a Hong Kong based licensee owned by Jeff Hsieh. TBWW would produce the figures, while they have been designed and marketed by Marvel.

Or, to further clarify the division, from the Report Toy Biz FAQ (http://www.toybiz.com/showfaq.htm?id=118):

"Toy Biz is the in-house toy division of Marvel Enterprises, Inc.

"Marvel character-related toy product lines are manufactured and sold by Toy Biz Worldwide Ltd, under license from Marvel Characters Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Marvel Enterprises Inc. Toy Biz, a division of Marvel Enterprises Inc., is the sales representative for Toy Biz Worldwide. "

Thereby, while the announcement doesn't directly spell doom for Toy Biz itself, the Marvel division's future is unclear, given the lack of Toy Biz's invovlement in the Marvel/Hasbro deal.

Also unknown, but undoubtedly soon to be revealed, Hasbro's plans for its Marvel line, which could easily rival the company's Star Wars line in terms of depth and diversity of product.

The press releases read:

Hasbro Awarded Five-Year Strategic License to Marvel's Library of Over 5,000 Characters; Product Inspired by Spider-Man 3 Movie to be Among the First to Market

Hasbro, Inc. (NYSE:HAS) and Marvel Entertainment, Inc. (NYSE:MVL), announced today a license under which Marvel has granted Hasbro toy and game rights to its renowned Super Hero universe that includes franchises such as Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, X-Men and Captain America. Through the agreement, Hasbro has obtained the rights to develop products based on Marvel's globally-known universe of over 5,000 characters in a wide range of toy and game categories -- including action figures, role play and preschool toys, board games and puzzles. The agreement covers both the "classic" comic book look of the characters as well as product lines inspired by Marvel-themed movies.

The five-year license gives Hasbro the rights to bring Marvel Entertainment-based toy products to retail beginning January 1, 2007. Hasbro's first full line of products based on Marvel properties is expected to center on Ghost Rider and the highly-anticipated movie event, Spider-Man 3, scheduled for release on May 4, 2007. Marvel has also agreed to provide services to Hasbro in connection with the licensed toys. The license guarantees Marvel $205 million in royalty and service fee payments, of which $70 million would be payable on the theatrical release of Spider-Man 3 and $35 million upon the theatrical release of Spider-Man 4. In addition, the license can be extended past the five year term, dependent on the number of other entertainment properties released during that timeframe.

"We are particularly pleased with this arrangement as it fits strategically into our plan to continually develop our home-grown core brands while aligning ourselves selectively with the best licenses in the business," Alfred J. Verrecchia, President and Chief Executive Officer of Hasbro, Inc. said.

"Hasbro's multi-year agreement with Marvel provides Hasbro with proven properties in categories where we have been long-time industry leaders," said Brian Goldner, Hasbro's President, U.S. Toy Segment. "Marvel's properties are a `who's-who' in children's and family entertainment and provide Hasbro with many exciting opportunities in the years ahead."

Tim Rothwell, Worldwide President, Consumer Media Group, Marvel Entertainment, added, "Hasbro is renowned in the toy arena. It supports its key brands with heavy promotional and advertising campaigns and their innovation provides consumers with an unmatched retail experience. We believe aligning with Hasbro as our master toy and game partner sets the stage for us to further extend the global and domestic reach and image of the overall Marvel brand."

Bruno Maglione, President, Marvel International, commented, "As we continue the process of developing our brands through a heightened mix of coordinated multi-media and product activity it was important to engage with a partner who understands how to leverage and optimize that sort of evergreen franchise approach. Hasbro brings that experience to the table, and with it, the ability and reach to execute globally. It's a perfect match."

David Hargreaves, Chief Financial Officer of Hasbro, Inc, said, "We are very pleased with this deal as it provides Hasbro with incremental revenues in high margin categories and allows us to maintain an appropriate balance in our portfolio of core brands and strategic licenses."

Juli Boylan, Sr Vice President, Sony Pictures Consumer Products, the limited partner in Spider-Man Merchandising LP, stated, "We are thrilled to have Hasbro develop toys and games for Spider-Man 3. We are very proud of the Spider-Man film franchise and feel Hasbro will play a pivotal role in its continued success."

The license is conditioned on its clearance under the Hart-Scott-Rodino Antitrust Improvements Act of 1976.

Marvel Terminates Toy Biz License

Marvel Entertainment, Inc. (NYSE:MVL), announced today that is has terminated its licensing agreement with Toy Biz Worldwide Ltd., effective as of December 31, 2005, one year earlier than the license's scheduled termination date. As a result of the termination, in 2006 Marvel-branded action figures and other toys formerly produced by Toy Biz Worldwide will be produced by Marvel. Now, with full control over Marvel-branded toys produced for sale in 2006, Marvel will be in a better position to effect a smooth transition to Hasbro in areas such as toy development, manufacturing, shipping, and retail space. As a result of this early termination, Marvel will record a one-time cash charge of $13 million - $16 million in the fourth quarter of 2005 related to the early termination and reimbursed research and development expenses. The charge is not reflected in Marvel's financial guidance for 2005, last provided on November 9, 2005.

Marvel's Chairman, Morton Handel, commented, "While Marvel will own any inventory produced for 2006, our policy of predominantly
manufacturing to order should help mitigate our inventory risk Commencing in 2007, a wide range of toy and game categories - including action figures, role play and preschool toys, board games and puzzles - will be produced by our new licensee, Hasbro. We are very excited by the business prospects we see in teaming with an industry leader."

Additional Background on Hasbro License Agreement

The combined percentage royalty and fees to be received by Marvel from Hasbro will be generally lower than those paid by Toy Biz Worldwide, but Marvel believes that Hasbro's worldwide marketing, promotion and distribution strength should enhance the Marvel brand and Marvel-branded toy sales. In conjunction with the signing of the Hasbro license agreement, Marvel will receive a non-refundable advance of $100 million. There will be no immediate revenue recognition related to the advance payment.

The license is conditioned on its clearance under the Hart-Scott-Rodino Antitrust Improvements Act of 1976.

rychehitman
01-09-2006, 02:55 PM
WOW!

#1 We have an EARLY candidate for "longest postof the year" here , don't we!

#2 So TOYBIZ MArvel Legends are cancelled?!?!? So the series 14 and 15 won't see the light of day! Figures...there goes Loki and Beta Ray Bill! :banghead:

JadeGiant...if you read this...let me know if you still want a ML Thing! I can get one for you if you need it! Have you seen any Apocalypse series, or Wal Mart Exclusive series out in C-Bus yet?

Coca, I can get you an Ion Wonderman and a Taskmaster (or Ultron, Logan) if you need them!

Mr. X
01-09-2006, 03:04 PM
I better try and assemble more Sentinels to build my Sentinel army while I can.

Collection King 13
01-09-2006, 03:06 PM
That line was really cool... I just had no room to buy them all and display them...

Crom
01-09-2006, 03:07 PM
I read somewhere esle that Marvel may still make the Marvel Legends, it just won't be distributed by Toy Bz. The design teams may be left intact, along with the line. A possibility.

rychehitman
01-09-2006, 03:09 PM
I read somewhere esle that Marvel may still make the Marvel Legends, it just won't be distributed by Toy Bz. The design teams may be left intact, along with the line. A possibility.

Lets hope! But they WORK for Toybiz!

rychehitman
01-09-2006, 03:12 PM
I better try and assemble more Sentinels to build my Sentinel army while I can.

Mr. X - How many makes an Army?!?!

I stopped at 5, and I got one modified so the eyes light up! There is a BOAT LOAD of the Sentinel series around Ohio. If I catch a good clearance rack I might go for 10!

Am I in need of therapy?!?!?! :laugh:

Sniper
01-09-2006, 03:15 PM
That line was really cool... I just had no room to buy them all and display them...
indeed!!! too bad they were very detailed and true to the comics!!!

Crom
01-09-2006, 03:17 PM
Lets hope! But they WORK for Toybiz!

I think the Toy Biz design and manufacturing aspects were two different companies, both owned by Marvel. I could be wrong about that, though.

Krypton Knight
01-09-2006, 03:54 PM
Hasblo is getting the Marvel license? Hasblo blew it on the DC license, I just have a bad feeling about them handling Marvel stuff.

Mr. X
01-09-2006, 04:15 PM
Mr. X - How many makes an Army?!?!

I stopped at 5, and I got one modified so the eyes light up! There is a BOAT LOAD of the Sentinel series around Ohio. If I catch a good clearance rack I might go for 10!

Am I in need of therapy?!?!?! :laugh:
I think five sounds just about right. I doubt I'll get up to ten though.

kirthew
01-09-2006, 05:17 PM
From what I understood from reading the post... Marvel will be selling the toys... so you will go to your local Toys-r-us and pick up Marvel Legends 14 Wolverine and instead of Toybiz on the package... it will say Marvel...

That is my understanding of it...

marvelboi77
01-09-2006, 06:57 PM
I hope someone makes a nice Spider-Woman figure. I am not counting the Marvel Select with the breast implants in her hips...

JadeGiant
01-09-2006, 10:28 PM
WOW!

#1 We have an EARLY candidate for "longest postof the year" here , don't we!

#2 So TOYBIZ MArvel Legends are cancelled?!?!? So the series 14 and 15 won't see the light of day! Figures...there goes Loki and Beta Ray Bill! :banghead:

JadeGiant...if you read this...let me know if you still want a ML Thing! I can get one for you if you need it! Have you seen any Apocalypse series, or Wal Mart Exclusive series out in C-Bus yet?

Coca, I can get you an Ion Wonderman and a Taskmaster (or Ultron, Logan) if you need them!

Ryche - I haven't picked one up yet ... if you come across one, grab it for me if you don't mind. Haven't seen any series 12 yet

Virsago
01-09-2006, 10:52 PM
The line isn't being cancelled as it's just changing distributors. From Toy Biz Worldwide to Hasbro. At least for now. For more info go HERE (http://action-figure.com/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=18783)

JadeGiant
01-10-2006, 11:16 PM
Ryche - I haven't picked one up yet ... if you come across one, grab it for me if you don't mind. Haven't seen any series 12 yet

Ryche, found one today ... thanks!

rychehitman
01-13-2006, 02:38 PM
OOPS!

I just PM'ed you that I picked one up for ya!

No harm done, I didnt get one for myself yet so I will keep it.

I can grab an Ultron, Vengeance, Wolverine, and Wonderman for ya if needed!

Did you see a Hulk Buster Iron Man in Columbus yet? I could use one!

COCA! Answer your PM about your ML needs!

JadeGiant
01-13-2006, 02:45 PM
OOPS!

Ryche, clear some space, I tried to reply to your PM but you are full.

I am done with series 11 ... waiting for Maestro to hit

Is Iron Man the only one you are looking for? I will grab one for you if I see it (if you want one). I saw one for $20 ... too high! I will keep looking.

bigben7
01-13-2006, 02:48 PM
i got hulk buster and scarlet witch if anyone needs them .i dont collect them but they looked kewl. the hulkbuster is heavy as crap

JadeGiant
01-13-2006, 03:13 PM
OOPS!

can't PM back ... quota full

I like the GORE idea - send me another PM later ... out

Deadpool
01-13-2006, 03:18 PM
OOPS!

Just got one, I will look for another if you want, I can get one for sure but for $20.00 and also I can get cyclops X-factor, and blue angel variants for $ 35.00 a piece!

Car50n
01-13-2006, 03:26 PM
Diamond is shipping orders of 10 AND 11 next week. i'm getting 2 cases of Riders and 3 cases of Apocalypse.

it's good timing on the Apocalypse, unfortunately stacking it with the Riders, cuts into my overhead. there aren't too many customers who'll pick up both series in one shot.

as for Marvel/Hasbro; marvel will distribute themselves for the remainder of 2006. Toybiz is still a sister company of Marvel, HOWEVER, Toybiz Worldwide, is an independently owned distribution company out of Hong Kong. its really shady coporate business.

the Hasbro Distribution will start 2007.

rychehitman
01-13-2006, 03:38 PM
Space cleared!

Coca?

JadeGiant
01-13-2006, 04:15 PM
Space cleared!

Coca?

YGM ...

Tony Coca
01-13-2006, 04:22 PM
Space cleared!

Coca?

YES get it for me.

Tony Coca
01-13-2006, 04:23 PM
Diamond is shipping orders of 10 AND 11 next week. i'm getting 2 cases of Riders and 3 cases of Apocalypse.

it's good timing on the Apocalypse, unfortunately stacking it with the Riders, cuts into my overhead. there aren't too many customers who'll pick up both series in one shot.

as for Marvel/Hasbro; marvel will distribute themselves for the remainder of 2006. Toybiz is still a sister company of Marvel, HOWEVER, Toybiz Worldwide, is an independently owned distribution company out of Hong Kong. its really shady coporate business.

the Hasbro Distribution will start 2007.

Bring me a Astonishing xmen Wolverine maskless tomorrow at the show.:D

bigben7
01-13-2006, 05:17 PM
is there an astonishing xmen action figure line??
what are the new ones at wlamart called???
is there a convention this weekend???

JadeGiant
01-13-2006, 07:53 PM
Just got one, I will look for another if you want, I can get one for sure but for $20.00 and also I can get cyclops X-factor, and blue angel variants for $ 35.00 a piece!

Deadpool, are you an Ohio local? Columbus?

Ryche - I picked a HulkBuster up for you today, it's yours if you still want one.

rychehitman
01-13-2006, 08:31 PM
SWEET!

For sure man! I appreciate it! Hold onto it for me until we meet up!

JadeGiant
01-14-2006, 03:37 AM
SWEET!

For sure man! I appreciate it! Hold onto it for me until we meet up!

no prob - it's yours

joy_division
01-14-2006, 11:53 AM
personally, I can't stand the Marvel legends line. How much articulaton do you need?! They totally spoil the sculpt of the figure.

And do you really need a woverine in every series?!

Captain Late
01-14-2006, 01:49 PM
There is way too much articulation going on, Wonder Man is a really ugly figure because of it. The over articulation worked for the Spidey sets since he is supposed to be crazy flexible but it kills the look of a lot of figures. DC Direct puts out a much nicer product in general, of course, they are twice as much.

rychehitman
01-15-2006, 06:50 PM
I agree that sometimes too much articulation kills the figure.... (Black Widows neck comes to mind)..

On the larger figures it is perfect though!

joy_division
01-16-2006, 11:37 AM
DC Direct puts out a much nicer product in general, of course, they are twice as much.Marvel select is their answer to DC Direct

I look at the X-23 figure and her head is bigger than her waist!

Captain Late
01-17-2006, 03:50 AM
I've never picked up the Marvel Select stuff. Some of it looks teriffic but they make them in kind of a diorama way don't they? They almost seem a bit like Marvel Legends meets MacFarlane. I like the way DC Direct seems to just give you a nice clean figure in a usually strong comic book style. DCD is starting to get predictable with the sets based off of storylines tho'. It's starting to seem as though they base the figure release like you would a TPB. Plus, they still flog the corpse of poor dead Kingdom Come, a great series that everyone has to be getting so goddamn sick of... :laugh: