PDA

View Full Version : DC Fortress of Solitude Key

tripoli
01-13-2006, 07:27 PM
I was thinking of getting one of these but was not sure about it. Is the key metal? Whats plated and what is not, the DC description was not all that clear. Thanks for answering. :)

Zurbaran1
01-13-2006, 08:03 PM
I had one and sold it so I don't know how helpful I can be. I can tell you that it is very limited, I think 500 or fewer pieces and it is vey well made. It was a heavy item and not at all cheap. I believe it is metal that was gold plated. I only took it out once briefly to look over before I sold it so don't hold me to anything. It's a nice solid piece. Not at all cheap. If you can get it for a good price I would say go for it.

Tetragrammaton
01-13-2006, 08:32 PM
You could definitely take out an eye with this thing.

Shiny and solid with good weight to it. Not gold plated, but for the price it should have been. Almost impossible to keep fingure prints of of it though.

Zurbaran1
01-13-2006, 08:33 PM
You could definitely take out an eye with this thing.

Shiny and solid with good weight to it. Not gold plated, but for the price it should have been. Almost impossible to cheap fingure prints of of it though.

Good to know, so it must be a gold colored plating, right?

Tetragrammaton
01-13-2006, 08:36 PM
I would think so.

It really is heavy for something about 6 inches in length.

The only part of it that isnt metal is a transparent base with the S - symbol.

tripoli
01-13-2006, 08:51 PM
DC Direct quoted "This hand-painted 1:32 scale prop replica is gold electro-plated, includes a certificate of authenticity and is removable from the base. The Key to the Fortress of Solitude Replica measures approximately 10" and is packaged in an elegant black gift box with foil stamping."

So I would think the key would be metal and plated, but you can electro plate resin as well. So I was scratching my head on this one.
Think I have completed the set of Teen Titans ( waiting for them to be delivered) and moving to the Superman and JL statues now. :)
The Fortress key caught my eye and I thought it would be something a bit different to put in the display. But I was just wondering how good it actually was in terms of quality and construction.

Tetragrammaton
01-13-2006, 10:03 PM
Get it, you'll like it.

Zurbaran1
01-13-2006, 10:22 PM
What Tet said. It is a quality item. Heavy and not at all cheap. There are also not that many of them so someday it could become a valuable sought after piece.

tripoli
01-14-2006, 12:49 AM
OK, found one on eBay under a hundred, a little more with shipping. I will post my thoughts when it arrives. Its unique enough it has piqued my interest in it.

Captain Late
01-14-2006, 01:41 PM
What are the opinions on the Kandor statue/prop? It seemed kind of goofy cool at the time...

lord odin
01-14-2006, 01:46 PM
What are the opinions on the Kandor statue/prop? It seemed kind of goofy cool at the time...
I have one of those I like it.
I believe the kryptonite prop is the same sculpt just changed.

Zurbaran1
01-14-2006, 03:10 PM

I'm not really big on props so I've gotten rid of just about all the DC props I have owned including the Bottle City of Kandor. In my opinion that one is one of the better props. Well done and very cool. While I had it, it was my favorite prop. I still have the Kryptonite prop. That one is ok but they did a lousy job of lighting it up. The bulb they use for the Kryptonite must be extremely dim because you hardly notice it is lit when you turn it on in a well lit room. If you dim the lights you can tell it's on but even then it's a very low, dull green. Disappointing. They should have used LEDs or something that would burn brighter. This is the last DC prop I still own and I'll be getting rid of it as soon as I get around to it.

Krypton Knight
01-14-2006, 03:32 PM
That Key prop is a great piece. But with the gold plating you better keep a polishing cloth around 'cos that thing shows finger prints like crazy.

The Kandor prop is also well done. It does seem to light up better than the Kryptonite prop does though. I agree with Zurb the DC should have used LEDs in it than a standard bulb. I wonder if it can be converted to LEDs?

lord odin
01-14-2006, 05:32 PM
That Key prop is a great piece. But with the gold plating you better keep a polishing cloth around 'cos that thing shows finger prints like crazy.

The Kandor prop is also well done. It does seem to light up better than the Kryptonite prop does though. I agree with Zurb the DC should have used LEDs in it than a standard bulb. I wonder if it can be converted to LEDs?

Yes it can.

tripoli
01-27-2006, 12:38 AM
I saw this and really like the concept. Posted for reviews here before purchasing and got a lot more conjecture than fact, so I made the leap and picked up DC's Fortress of Solitude Key piece.

The packaging is your average packaging, well done. Black boxed with gold lettering. The key and base is wedge tightly in the white foam packing, you will need to be careful getting it out without damaging the foam.

The base is a resin poured piece with a silver painted bottom with the licensing information on it. The base itself is a crystal relief with the Superman logo S in the middle painted in silver. The detailing is nicely done, sharp enough graphics that it looks good. The slightly tinted clear crystal makes for a solid stand for the key to sit on. You can illuminate it from behind or below to give it an extra added look to the piece.

The key is well made, a heft to it despite the size being close to ten inches in length. Extremely crisp machining in metal and then gold plated. It is made to look like a classic aircraft ground marker with the key portion on the bottom of the piece. Its well constructed and heavily plated. It fits solidly into the base and looks outstanding. There is a small knub on the bottom of the key and notch onthe base which keeps it from sliding on the base. If you do handle the key, you will want to keep a polishing cloth about, the surface is fine enough any handling will leave a smudge behind.

Despite it not being a in the forefront replica, it is a great Superman collectable. DC has not made that many prop type replicas, the kryptonite under glass and city underglass. Of the three out, this one is definately the nicer looking quality display. Well constructed, sharply done, it looks good as an art object as it does being a Superman replica piece from DC. These are currently selling well below the listed retail price on eBay right now. I would consider the purchase at retail price now seeing it in hand, definately a bargain and the lower prices you can find it at. If you are a Superman fan and thinking about it, I would take the leap and add it to your collection. It will definately stand out and be a good conversation piece in your collection.

bat_collector
01-27-2006, 01:21 AM
some pics would be very nice

Underdog07
01-27-2006, 05:04 AM
$120 plus $20 shipping a fair price or should I keep looking?

tripoli
01-27-2006, 10:21 AM
If someone can host the pics, I will be happy to take a few shots.

The absolute lowest I have seen this is at $ 78 with $ 20 dollars in shipping. Missed that one myself getting mine for a total of $ 117.
It's a heavy piece, so expect the shipping to be up there in price.
$ 120 is a bargain, $ 140 is a fair low price to get for this piece. ;)

lockford88
01-27-2006, 03:53 PM
pm sent to ya underdog...

Zurbaran1
01-27-2006, 05:32 PM
There was another thread about this piece. DOn't have the time now but if I find it I will merge the two.

Tetragrammaton
01-27-2006, 05:33 PM
http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=21646&highlight=fortress

Zurbaran1
01-27-2006, 05:49 PM
Thanks Tet, threads merged.

Grievous
01-27-2006, 05:53 PM
I saw this and really like the concept. Posted for reviews here before purchasing and got a lot more conjecture than fact, so I made the leap and picked up DC's Fortress of Solitude Key piece.

The packaging is your average packaging, well done. Black boxed with gold lettering. The key and base is wedge tightly in the white foam packing, you will need to be careful getting it out without damaging the foam.

The base is a resin poured piece with a silver painted bottom with the licensing information on it. The base itself is a crystal relief with the Superman logo S in the middle painted in silver. The detailing is nicely done, sharp enough graphics that it looks good. The slightly tinted clear crystal makes for a solid stand for the key to sit on. You can illuminate it from behind or below to give it an extra added look to the piece.

The key is well made, a heft to it despite the size being close to ten inches in length. Extremely crisp machining in metal and then gold plated. It is made to look like a classic aircraft ground marker with the key portion on the bottom of the piece. Its well constructed and heavily plated. It fits solidly into the base and looks outstanding. There is a small knub on the bottom of the key and notch onthe base which keeps it from sliding on the base. If you do handle the key, you will want to keep a polishing cloth about, the surface is fine enough any handling will leave a smudge behind.

Despite it not being a in the forefront replica, it is a great Superman collectable. DC has not made that many prop type replicas, the kryptonite under glass and city underglass. Of the three out, this one is definately the nicer looking quality display. Well constructed, sharply done, it looks good as an art object as it does being a Superman replica piece from DC. These are currently selling well below the listed retail price on eBay right now. I would consider the purchase at retail price now seeing it in hand, definately a bargain and the lower prices you can find it at. If you are a Superman fan and thinking about it, I would take the leap and add it to your collection. It will definately stand out and be a good conversation piece in your collection.

Here are his pictures:

http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/8803/8f370c982pf.jpg

http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/1929/e9ba899b4bi.jpg

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/1001/49bb5bb04wu.jpg

Grievous
02-01-2006, 01:05 PM
Bumping since nobody has said a word since my post...

rychehitman
02-01-2006, 02:13 PM
nice review!

I like the pics!

Tetragrammaton
02-01-2006, 03:07 PM
Bumping since nobody has said a word since my post...
Someone likes Smallville just a little too much. :)

Nice display. Too bad somebody scribbled all over your jacket.

tripoli
02-01-2006, 10:30 PM
A Superman fan and Smallville as well. The jacket has the entire second season cast signed on the sleeves as well the producers of the show. They can scribble on it like that whenever they want to. :)
Starting to look at the Superman statues as well for the collection. Until I found this site, I had no idea the extent of statues that were out there. This is a great board and happy to be able to contribute in some way here.

Grievous
02-02-2006, 09:26 AM
Someone likes Smallville just a little too much. :)

Nice display. Too bad somebody scribbled all over your jacket.

The pics aren't mine! They're tripoli's.