PDA

View Full Version : Any Sculptors willing?

Cage
01-30-2006, 02:59 PM
Any of you guys willing to start a thread (maybe one that can be loceked and stickied) kind of informally giving a "How to?" I like I'm sure many others here have been wanting to try and see what kind of a mess I can make with clay. However, when I go to the craft store I couldn't even begin to figure out what to buy. It would be awesome (IMHO) if the guys that post here sort of laid out a bare bones outline. i.e.:

Clear off a table x size by x size;
go to the craft store buy:
x to make a stand
x type of clay
x to make (armatures?) armatures are_______.
an oven to do ________
you will need these materials
these tools
this much time etc, etc.

I recognize that this is not a "hobby" but for most of you guys its a passion, livelihood, craft, and maybe even a calling so I am not suggesting that the information I'm suggesting is all anyone needs to sculpt like Michelangelo, but I would like to have the experience of making a mess with sculpey, but I wouldn't know where to start. Anyone up for it?

If not, anyone know a good "sculpting comic characters for beginners" book I can read?

ant-man
01-30-2006, 03:48 PM
cage...thats a great idea....would be great...i weould love to try my hands at it as well.....

rychehitman
01-30-2006, 04:24 PM
Cage!

I like the way you think!

This would be awesome for all the wannabe sculptor like myself!

a painting one would be nice too!

Collection King 13
01-30-2006, 04:26 PM
That would be really cool!

Ish
01-30-2006, 04:52 PM
i would give it try, we could all use a good laugh, that way when the sculptors see our stuff THEY can call it "a piece of CRAP" :laugh: :laugh:

Mr. Farrell
01-30-2006, 06:47 PM
I've owed an editor at an online magazine an article on this very thing for some time now. I'm starting the project this week.

occulum
01-30-2006, 07:15 PM
I'd recommend heading on over to The Clubhouse (http://www.theclubhouse1.net). You have to be registered to view, but its a GREAT place to hang out and learn. I've been learning to sculpt myself and slowly most of my online time is spent there lurking & learning. A lot of very nice EXTREMELY talented sculptors there and they lend their knowledge fairly easily and often. And many post pics of sculpts from start to finish so you can see the armature the pieces start on.

They also have a section for sculpting & painting tutorial links.

hope that helps some.

try this link too. (http://www.stopmotionanimation.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=824&mesg_id=824&listing_type=read_new)

High Lord Apocalypse
01-30-2006, 07:48 PM
i would love to see this happen!!!! i hope something works out here on this forum!

JadeGiant
01-30-2006, 11:27 PM
i would love to see this happen!!!! i hope something works out here on this forum!

I agree - lets get something on this site