PDA

View Full Version : Graphic design or go with the flow?

Logan
01-30-2006, 06:37 PM
Alright look, right now I'm doing graphic design at my school and I thought it was cool, until this year. Everything is messed up and I'm definitely not motivated anymore. I'm thinking about taking a year off to pursue something else....

I want to make a movie, it's gonna be a very serious and emotional film and I have the complete story in my head. I want to take the year off because I want to finish the script, make storyboards and alot more until I think I'm done. And when I'm done, I need to take the big step to the USA.

My heart really goes out to making this film, even my cousin who's doing law school wants to drop out and help me with this (it's a personal story).
I know Hollywood is earth's hell but I NEED to go, it's too important to let it go.

WHAT IS THE BEST THING TO DO?

JadeGiant
01-30-2006, 07:09 PM
Alright look, right now I'm doing graphic design at my school and I thought it was cool, until this year. Everything is messed up and I'm definitely not motivated anymore. I'm thinking about taking a year off to pursue something else....

I want to make a movie, it's gonna be a very serious and emotional film and I have the complete story in my head. I want to take the year off because I want to finish the script, make storyboards and alot more until I think I'm done. And when I'm done, I need to take the big step to the USA.

My heart really goes out to making this film, even my cousin who's doing law school wants to drop out and help me with this (it's a personal story).
I know Hollywood is earth's hell but I NEED to go, it's too important to let it go.

WHAT IS THE BEST THING TO DO?

follow your gut - and remember, there are Graphic design programs in the US if Hollywood doesn't work out.

Wooktroop
01-30-2006, 07:16 PM
id finish up and get your degree first
ive heard once you stop its hard to go back

Ghost
01-30-2006, 07:24 PM
Here's the thing Logan. It doesn't hurt to have some kind of background. Hell you really don't need the degree if you're good at what you do. I got into 3D Animation. I thought that's what I wanted to do. Technically I still do but it's alot of hassle. I sorta prefer 2D but I enjoy 3D modeling and everything that comes with it. When I got to that point I was very unmotivated. To this day I haven't really worked on any animation, but I still like it.

It's good to dabble in a bit of everything. Which is why I like doing post production, film editing, visual effects, ESPECIALLY concept design, and traditional 2D art. And I too want to make movies. But start out little by little. I do small stuff here and there, short flicks, just for practice, pacing, editing and sound. Don't expect Hollywood to pick anything up right away, but rather pass it on to some of the Indie studios. Those are the best chances and the way I'd go. Also check them into say Sundance, Tribeca, stuff like that.

And hey, I majored in Media Arts and Animation. Yet I go for jobs that say graphic designer. I love using Photoshop, and illustrator. But I have no idea how to work in publishing. Learn publishing design and you get over the self made G designers that go for the same jobs, (even though you can learn that on your own as well, sometimes the smallest advantage is still an advantage.

Eye of Agamotto
01-30-2006, 07:28 PM
My opinion is finish what you started then begin your quest to make the film.

Logan
01-30-2006, 07:31 PM
Here's the thing Logan. It doesn't hurt to have some kind of background. Hell you really don't need the degree if you're good at what you do. I got into 3D Animation. I thought that's what I wanted to do. Technically I still do but it's alot of hassle. I sorta prefer 2D but I enjoy 3D modeling and everything that comes with it. When I got to that point I was very unmotivated. To this day I haven't really worked on any animation, but I still like it.
That's just it, at my school they don't even teach us stuff like 3D. I'm getting a new computer tomorrow and want to take a stab at it and see how it turns out.

My biggest problem is, I have so much ambitions I don't know which one to choose. But I definitely want to make a film, not directing it per sé but I want to have alot of control over it because I have my vision and that's how I want it.

I love watching the GNOMON dvd's, which let's you take a look at how pro's work at 3D, concept design etc. I want to do all that stuff too but I don't have the talent, but am planning to do something about it.

Miikael
01-31-2006, 05:39 PM
Hmm I'm sort of in the same position, although I'm not thinking about following a hollywood career I have thought of quitting my current study (third year in) and just go somewhere abroad do whatever people overthere do. Motivation is something I know only from books, I can't for the love of god get myself to start on anything for my course atm.

Do you have your P Logan? If so you could always take some years off and come back (if the weather in California disappoints and all :p) and finish, or start, a course.

As good as your story/concept might be, do you seriously think you have a chance of succeeding or does the thought of change of scenery have a lot to do with it?