PDA

View Full Version : Question about Customs Fees?

Silver Surfer
01-31-2006, 03:57 PM
Does anyone know:

1. Do U.S. Customs ever open parcels leaving the U.S. to confirm the contents and values etc?

2. If U.K. Customs opened a parcel arriving from the U.S. and believed that the contents were valued higher than what had been declared on the label, as far as I am aware the recipient in the U.K. would have to cough up the difference between the declared value and the estimated Customs value in order to take delivery of it and decide whether to dispute it later. Is this the case?

3. Assuming the declared value was indeed much less than the true value/cost, would there ever be any repercussions for the sender in the U.S., in particular a commercial company, for not declaring the true value etc.?

Collection King 13
01-31-2006, 04:00 PM
Does anyone know:

1. Do U.S. Customs ever open parcels leaving the U.S. to confirm the contents and values etc?

2. If U.K. Customs opened a parcel arriving from the U.S. and believed that the contents were valued higher than what had been declared on the label, as far as I am aware the recipient in the U.K. would have to cough up the difference between the declared value and the estimated Customs value in order to take delivery of it and decide whether to dispute it later. Is this the case?

3. Assuming the declared value was indeed much less than the true value/cost, would there ever be any repercussions for the sender in the U.S., in particular a commercial company, for not declaring the true value etc.?
I havent been charged for any customs here in the US whether I am shipping or receving nor has anyone contacted me from another country if I put the value less than what the item is actually worth... Also I havent heard of any packages being opened/inspected in the US before it leaves as long as the forms are filled out I think they could care less.

Zurbaran1
01-31-2006, 04:23 PM
Does anyone know:

I don't think so. I've never had any package of mine being opened leaving the country nor coming into the country. I've never ever been asked for a dime on any item I have purchased from abroad and one or two were on the pricey side.

That sounds right. They are going to go after the person who they can get their hands on, YOU.

I don't know. In theory I guess they could come after the sender but I don't think it's practical or something they bother pursuing especially if you are talking about items on our level. That's nickle and dime stuff to them. They'll go after the recipient and make you pay. Of course if you are talking about fraud on a much higher level I imagine it could get serious. At this point I think customs is focused more on global terror than collectors valuing Gold Bucky's at $50. :)

Xeno
01-31-2006, 04:28 PM
I'm from the Netherlands so no guarantees here ;) but I think:

1: I don't think the customs of the country where the package leaves does that. I think the "receiving country" has the responsibility of checking what comes in. What goes out is less important.. ;)

2: For the Netherlands, thas is indeed the case. It's a risk you take. Also if the packes is insured and something might happen with it, only what's on the label of the package is insured. Not the real value.

3. AFAIK the sender has no responsibilities what so ever..

..but don't shoot me if I'm not entirely right. :)

Bullseye
01-31-2006, 04:46 PM
I bought a FS Sauron Helmet from a seller in the US. I asked him to value the item at $100 to reduce the customs fee. Instead he valued the item at $19....I then got a call from customs looking for a receipt for the item. I paid through paypal so unfortunately we got caught on that one. I had to pay the additional customs which came to €100 (around $125). If he had only put it at $100 i'd have had some chance. The customs when they seen the size of the box must have laughed when they seen the value at $19.00.

Silver Surfer
02-01-2006, 10:02 AM
Thanks for your feedback.

The reason I ask, is that after 6 years buying at least 90% of my collection of MB and MS, Books and other items from my U.S. supplier, I aksed them to help me out by not declaring the full value.

I asked once before a few years ago but they declined but as I was better off financially back then, so I didn't persue it. Now I could really use some help keeping the cost down, so I asked again as I know from what gets said on this forum that other commercial suppliers do this for their international customers.

However, they declined and said if the parcel was opened by US or UK Customs they could lose their business license and be heavily fined. I find this unlikely, so I think it's just an unknown expectation on thier part.

I don't want to change supplier after 6 years but I think I may have to look around for a new supplier who is willing to do this for me, if they can also match the same dicounted prices.

Tattoo-S
02-01-2006, 10:12 AM
J~it may be different for business' who have to file the customs marker on the package. In 10 years time I always mark the item as a gift, that way no other fees can be assessed. However, depending on the country they often want a value, (I assume in case of a complaint or insurance claim) Lots of people don't know that even when you pay for insurance (and it is available to some countries) that it really isn't worth squat. Once the item leave the country the insurance is no good.....cannot be claimed. However on the off chance that the item should be damaged or lost before it gets out of the country insurance can be filed and paid......

I have only ever had one package (sent to the UK, ever opened @ customs) that I know of, and the reciever did have to go down and pay an additional $4 pounds to claim and aquire their parcel. I think sometimes they open questionable stuff just to make an example of some point they are trying to make. I have also had stuff opened, but never had to pay additional fees myself to claim a package. :)

Anyhow, I am not sure how much this helps you, but as a private party, I have never had troubles with customs. (Knock on wood)....Good luck :thumbs2:

Silver Surfer
02-01-2006, 11:32 AM
S, It's never happened to me before but thats not to say it won't ever happen but I have yet to hear of any consequences for a sender who has done this. If it can be confirmed that there are penalties for the sender especially a commercial sender, then I totally would totally respect thier wishes.

So far I can't confirm otherwise, so think their fears are unfounded and can't help but want them to do me a favour after spending thousands of $'s with them over 6 years.

I suggested they don't enclose my invoice in the parcel and have asked them to declare the value at around 55% of the actual cost, with insurance and I have said I will take the risk of losing out on the difference. Alas they still decline.

I have to admit they they are an honest company so I have to respect them for that at least.

leks
02-01-2006, 12:08 PM
I heard about the same time the mafia was eradicated, customs was created, think about that, lol.

Besides being a pain :) they really can be rather criminal. If they inspect your stuff you better pray they take care cause whatever they mess up its on your head. At least here.

I've had fragile sculpts that arrived damaged and were inspected but youll get nothing out of them. I know someone whose puppets were cut open by customs, to check the insides. They could have cared less and there was nothing he could do, some of them are no different as terrorists.