PDA

View Full Version : Dang it, Those Ebay Scammers almost got me!

bat_collector
02-06-2006, 02:18 AM
Today I got an email from "ebay" saying that I had not paid for an item and that I needed to respond immediately. It even gave an auction item # that was legit, and I saw that I was not the bidder or the winner. I clicked on the link, which brings up the "my ebay" login page, and like an idiot I logged in. :banghead:

Well, nothing really happened, which made me suspicious. So I immediately closed that browser and brought up a new one and changed my password on the spot. Did the same for my email and paypal passwords. I then got on a live session with them and discussed the account. Turns out it was a fake one and just trying to scam me from my password. Good thing I changed it. Hopefully nothing bad will come of this.

Man, I can't belive I fell for it. Please, if you get a similar message from ebay send it to spoof@ebay.com immediately and check "my messages," where the email should be. :banghead:

MiamiLoco
02-06-2006, 03:30 AM
I think we found the guy:

http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptionscomic/joker.jpg

:p

bat_collector
02-06-2006, 11:13 AM
Thanks for your support, loco.

Ish
02-06-2006, 11:28 AM
thx bats i'll be careful with this.

JadeGiant
02-06-2006, 02:23 PM
can't believe you fell for it ... glad you caught it quickly

bat_collector
02-06-2006, 02:55 PM
can't believe you fell for it ... glad you caught it quickly
Yeah, well, it happens.

Good thing I did catch it quickly.

MiamiLoco
02-06-2006, 03:11 PM
Thanks for your support, loco.
that's what I do best :p

MONSTER
02-06-2006, 03:12 PM
So close! I'll get you next time BC!!! :eplus2:

nbr3bagshotrow
02-06-2006, 03:33 PM
The first clue is "Dear Paypal member" or "To Ebay member". Any e-mail from Paypal or Ebay which doesn't have either your name or member name is SPAM.

risingstar
02-06-2006, 03:48 PM
The biggest scams are those bogus "second chance offer" e-mails.
When I lost out on a Romita Jr original art cover, I got one of those two days later. These peeps tried to scam me for over 2K. I contacted the original seller as well as eBay immediately. The same "second chance offer" was sent out to the top 5 bidders.

Like NBR said, the scam was easy to see as it was addressed to: "ebay member" as opposed to my actual name.

Sniper
02-06-2006, 04:02 PM
I think we found the guy:

http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptionscomic/joker.jpg

:p
:laugh:

be careful next time you goof :eplus2:

bane
02-06-2006, 06:56 PM
Ebay is full of them , but so is the world actualy .
friend of mine almost got ripped of through a guy who was selling computers way too cheap , insisted on paying through Western Union ( that always smells suspicious ) , even had a fake Ebay mail with the attached W U logo on it , the guy sold about 30 auctions that way !!

Look out next time B_C !!

bat_collector
02-06-2006, 06:59 PM
yeah, I learned my lesson big time man. Hopefully I did everythign I hsould have done and don't get any surprises.

I wish we could find these dang scammers and kill em all!

ickwinzs
02-06-2006, 07:02 PM
Good thing you got friends that let you know your getting played!!

RichardW
02-06-2006, 10:50 PM
These guys need to have their balls torn off. I get a fake eBay or Paypal email once a week, probably because I have an eBay store. I just got one today that looked like a normal Paypal payment email, but it was for a cell phone I didn't buy. I always hover the mouse over the link and it always shows a bogus website. I hope Paypal is able to track these guys down from their web address.

massf
02-10-2006, 06:52 PM
man that sucks. These guys should be hung up high and stoned. It bugs me loads. I too have had these fake e-mails but luckily spotted them as fake.

Daredevil
02-10-2006, 06:57 PM
These "PHISHERS" and other SPAMMERS NEED TO be severely punished, or be stoned to death by all the people that had wasted so much time deleting junk emails. I bet this crap is involved with the mobs, they are in all sorts of money scheming businesses.

Someone go call the Punisher

Doc Sonic
02-10-2006, 11:05 PM
These "PHISHERS" and other SPAMMERS NEED TO be severely punished, or be stoned to death by all the people that had wasted so much time deleting junk emails. I bet this crap is involved with the mobs, they are in all sorts of money scheming businesses.

I'm in Rhode Island and up here there has been in the news articles about a organized group selling fake jewlery. I wouldn't be surprise if there were all types of groups getting in on various schemes to defraud people on eBay.

BOSCO
02-11-2006, 09:40 AM
Glad ya got it sorted in time BC.I nearly got caught out on this myself a couple of years back.I was bidding on a cave troll at the time but lost out.then i got a second chance offer but they wanted the money sent by western union which i thought was a bit suspicious.i had previously been in contact with this seller by phone so i rang back and it turned out someone had hijacked their user ID.i could of been hit for EUR1400 :mad: Glad i made that call :) any second chance ofers i get now just get deleted.

Punisher
03-11-2006, 03:27 AM

You rang? :inquisiti

I get so many of those things, i added spoof@paypal.com, & spoof@ebay.com to my address book!

stormshadow007
03-28-2006, 10:04 PM
Hey guys, just an FYI, I just got a new spoof email claiming to be from Paypal stating that I sent someone a large amount of money and that to click on the link to dispute it, blah-blah-blah. This time however, they addressed me by my first AND last name. Scary. Forwarded it to Paypal.

CKinSD
03-29-2006, 12:41 PM
stormshadow I've never heard of a scam with your actual name in it as well. keep us informed on this one would you?