PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft word - A question

Bullseye
02-09-2006, 09:01 AM
Does anyone know why when you cut and paste a photo/jpg into a written report the memory size of the file jumps substantially. Is there away of including photos into the report without ending up with a word document having a memory size of 25MB?

Teague
02-09-2006, 10:52 AM
Does anyone know why when you cut and paste a photo/jpg into a written report the memory size of the file jumps substantially. Is there away of including photos into the report without ending up with a word document having a memory size of 25MB?

Image files are just larger than pure-text documents. How much it jumps is wholly dependent on the size and quality of the picture that you're imbedding. So if you want a smaller file size, you need to lower the size of the images you're importing: i.e., lower size and/or quality.

As for how to do that, I'm not a picture guy, so I'm not sure. Anyone?

Bullseye
02-09-2006, 10:59 AM
The size of the jpg is approximately 115kb but when its imported into word it just triples in size. I have about 20 pictures which should equate to 2.5MB but yet its actually 25MB.

Azog
02-09-2006, 11:22 AM
Bulls are you pasting or inserting? If you are pasting then word has to recreate the entire image and does a rather messy job of it, however if you save your document and images you use in the same directory and insert the them the files size should be dramatically smaller

Curt Chiarelli
02-09-2006, 12:25 PM
Azog is right.

Here's another handy technique for reducing image file sizes: Open Photoshop; Go to Files>Open. Open the file whose size you wish to reduce. Go to Image>Image Size. Reduce size in prompt box. Click Okay. Go to File> Save As. Chose .jpeg. Another prompt box will open. Chose Low or Medium Resolution. Click Save.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need more information.

Bullseye
02-09-2006, 01:51 PM
Cheers guys. I'm going to try this.

Bullseye
02-09-2006, 01:51 PM
Bulls are you pasting or inserting? If you are pasting then word has to recreate the entire image and does a rather messy job of it, however if you save your document and images you use in the same directory and insert the them the files size should be dramatically smaller

Copy and Paste Azog.