PDA

View Full Version : Weta Is Certainly Wowing Me ...

Moria
02-10-2006, 08:21 PM
I have to say that this thread pains me severly to type, but I wanted to start this topic in its own light. EVERYTHING about the new Weta lines are superior to the SSW pieces. I have now received about 4-5 pieces from both Kong and Narnia and am convinced of this. Otmin just sealed the deal for me today. Comparing Otmin with another SSW sculpt of similar fluidity and movement just brings this to light, as much as I adore my UHSS; Otmin beats him handily.

The sculpts are just downright incredible, Weta definately has improved in this category. I am not sure if we/I attribute this to the progress of talent, or manufacturing, but these new pieces just POP! Take Otmin's armor, or even the scales on the V-Rex and place them next to the most ornate of SSW piece (arguably the Easterling or Theoden) - hard to compare. The bases on the Narnia line are pieces of art in themselves, they blow the LOTR line out of the water. There are washes and engravings that are far superior to the standard black with an etched map.

Perhaps the area where I am the most impressed is the paint, it is just so clean, everything works here.

If you haven't yet treated yourself to a newer Weta piece, jump on board - you will not be disappointed. So is it the move to Fred Tang manufacturing, or just the progress of time? Whatever it is, Weta is alive and VERY well. Now, if they would just renew LOTR with this quality!

*Please note of course this is just my opinion, keep that in mind if you think I am getting too personal*

Nizz
02-10-2006, 08:42 PM
Any pictures? Thinking about picking up some statue from the Narnia line for my son but would really like to see some picture of actual statue first.

Moria
02-10-2006, 08:48 PM
I haven't taken any myself, but my buddie's pics are amazing:

http://charles-song.com/gallery/v/members/rook325/?g2_page=5

PS - I am in So CA too, where are do you live? :)

Nizz
02-10-2006, 10:29 PM
Nice to see another So Cal person. I live in Irvine to be exact. Where are you? Are you going to Wizard World LA?

Moria
02-10-2006, 11:05 PM
I am in Yorba Linda, and no I am planning on SDCC though.

Sorry, back on topic ---- Weta is doing some fine stuff! :buttrock:

Saurons I
02-10-2006, 11:41 PM
I would have to agree with you Matt. While I still have a soft spot for my UHSS, Elrond and all the rest of my numerous LOTR statues, I have to say that the Otmin statue stands out amongst them all. There just seems to be a little more attention to detail. And yes, the WETA bases kick @ss! Otmin is the only WETA statue that I own, but I've seen a few of the Kong pieces and they look equally as nice. Now if they'd just get a license to do DC characters.

Nizz
02-11-2006, 01:04 AM
Forgot to say thanks for the link to the pictures. The son likes them alot so it look like I will have to go search for them for a good price. Have any recommendation for place to purchase it? I will be there for SDCC also :buttrock:

Synergy
02-11-2006, 02:32 AM
I would have to agree with you Matt. While I still have a soft spot for my UHSS, Elrond and all the rest of my numerous LOTR statues, I have to say that the Otmin statue stands out amongst them all. There just seems to be a little more attention to detail. And yes, the WETA bases kick @ss! Otmin is the only WETA statue that I own, but I've seen a few of the Kong pieces and they look equally as nice. Now if they'd just get a license to do DC characters.

I agree with you on the weta pieces they have given the narnia pieces more attention than the lotr pieces. But I hope that weta sticks to doing the lines that other companies aren't doing. Like Zorro and Kong

sith lord utinni!
02-11-2006, 03:52 AM
Wow, those pics of otmin and the centaur are awesome! :buttrock:

polystoner
02-12-2006, 04:49 PM
I've been thinking about that White Witch staue, since she is a real bad @ss. Don't know anyone that has one though, for me to get a peek at!