PDA

View Full Version : I just picked this up last week...

Black Bolt
02-14-2006, 04:33 PM
http://www.geocities.com/smurpher69/ultcapbust1.jpg ...and it is THE. BEST. SCULPT. EVER. I know this has been out for 2 years now, and there's probably been a thread on it, but like I said, I just got it and now I want the WWII variant.

My only gripe is that it is a little too big. Not that BD is the Gold Standard, but I wish it was in that scale, so it's not taking up too much room on the shelf. I don't want to start a debate, but where Bowen Designs' busts and statues look as if they've come right off the comic page, which is cool (most of my collection is BD anyway), most of DST's sculpts look much more realistic. The seams on the clothing, the facial expressions, are just so much better.

I think the best line of busts that are out there right now are the Astonishing X-Men busts. Sure, they have their faults: Emma Frost is a tiny bit bigger... actually, that's the only fault I can find so far, but I'm not getting that one anyway (and I refuse to get the Beast; while it is an awesome sculpt, I won't even acknowledge the character until he is reverted to a more ape-like form; why does he look like a cat?!?).

I have the "New X-Men" Jean Grey variant sitting next to the Colossus, Kitty Pryde, (and soon) Cyclops and Wolverine. With the matching bases, awesome sculpts and paint jobs, they look awesome!!

Sorry about the rant, but thanks for listening/reading...

boondocksaint
02-14-2006, 04:37 PM
http://www.geocities.com/smurpher69/ultcapbust1.jpg ...and it is THE. BEST. SCULPT. EVER. I know this has been out for 2 years now, and there's probably been a thread on it, but like I said, I just got it and now I want the WWII variant.

My only gripe is that it is a little too big. Not that BD is the Gold Standard, but I wish it was in that scale, so it's not taking up too much room on the shelf. I don't want to start a debate, but where Bowen Designs' busts and statues look as if they've come right off the comic page, which is cool (most of my collection is BD anyway), most of DST's sculpts look much more realistic. The seams on the clothing, the facial expressions, are just so much better.

I think the best line of busts that are out there right now are the Astonishing X-Men busts. Sure, they have their faults: Emma Frost is a tiny bit bigger... actually, that's the only fault I can find so far, but I'm not getting that one anyway (and I refuse to get the Beast; while it is an awesome sculpt, I won't even acknowledge the character until he is reverted to a more ape-like form; why does he look like a cat?!?).

I have the "New X-Men" Jean Grey variant sitting next to the Colossus, Kitty Pryde, (and soon) Cyclops and Wolverine. With the matching bases, awesome sculpts and paint jobs, they look awesome!!

Sorry about the rant, but thanks for listening/reading...

i have this and ga cap...theyre fantastic...two of my favorite sculpts.. :buttrock:

boondocksaint
02-14-2006, 04:41 PM
http://i1.tinypic.com/nqtq8n.jpg

CKinSD
02-14-2006, 04:41 PM
this is a great Capt. someone a while ago did a set of legs of these busts that are sweet. In my pile I'll be cutting one of these apart and giving him legs, in a few months.

ashley76
02-14-2006, 04:45 PM
Is Ultimate Thor in the same scale as that Cap?

Tetragrammaton
02-14-2006, 04:52 PM
The ultimate Thor seems somewhat smaller overall than the Cap and has a much shorter base.

Black Bolt
02-14-2006, 04:52 PM
this is a great Capt. someone a while ago did a set of legs of these busts that are sweet. In my pile I'll be cutting one of these apart and giving him legs, in a few months.
I'd like to see pics of that!

Black Bolt
02-14-2006, 04:54 PM
The ultimate Thor seems somewhat smaller overall than the Cap and has a much shorter base.
The Thor should definitely have been bigger...

Primal
02-14-2006, 04:56 PM
Very nice display boon!

Jameshowlett
02-14-2006, 05:32 PM
It is WAY smaller than Cap.Not only in size but in scale as well.The IM is waaay to big.That whole line is out of whack. You would think that whoever was heading this Ultimate Line, that he'd have each sculpt be at least somewhat the same size.Heck give the artists the dimensions or something. It just really wrecks the way they all look together.Don't even get me started on Ult. Hulk(which is the smallest bust of them all!)

Black Bolt
02-14-2006, 06:21 PM
It is WAY smaller than Cap.Not only in size but in scale as well.The IM is waaay to big.That whole line is out of whack. You would think that whoever was heading this Ultimate Line, that he'd have each sculpt be at least somewhat the same size.Heck give the artists the dimensions or something. It just really wrecks the way they all look together.Don't even get me started on Ult. Hulk(which is the smallest bust of them all!)

That's another complaint I have about some of DST's stuff as well, certain lines will have different sculptors for different characters, and the scale is off between characters in the same line. Of course, BD has some way out of scale sculpts too. Since when was Quicksilver 7 feet tall?

valemeister
02-14-2006, 09:18 PM
I've just finished reading the Ultimates tpbs for the first time and OMG Cap is such a great character in it. Never really went mad on the character at all before now. But having said that I always admired the Ultimate Cap & WWII variant busts. Congrats on getting it, Black Bolt! :)

MiamiLoco
02-15-2006, 04:44 AM
Isn't the Sculptor of this great bust, also a member of this board?

rychehitman
02-15-2006, 07:04 AM
http://i1.tinypic.com/nqtq8n.jpg

nice display boonie! :buttrock:

boondocksaint
02-15-2006, 08:32 AM
nice display boonie! :buttrock:

thanks ryche...i did it for yoU! :laugh:

Jameshowlett
02-16-2006, 05:07 PM
I've just finished reading the Ultimates tpbs for the first time and OMG Cap is such a great character in it. Never really went mad on the character at all before now. But having said that I always admired the Ultimate Cap & WWII variant busts. Congrats on getting it, Black Bolt! :)
Cool! I loved and still do the Ultimates.And I do like the Ult. Cap character alot.I just agree with everything you said.I think that the 1940's and reg Cap are the best of the ultimates line.They'r releasing a cartoon Feb.22 about the Ultimates.

Virsago
02-16-2006, 05:14 PM
Isn't the Sculptor of this great bust, also a member of this board?
http://www.diamondselecttoys.com/products/marvel/marv_images/CaptAmUltBust.jpg

Hulkfan?

Bullseye
02-16-2006, 05:20 PM
Very nice pickup.