PDA

View Full Version : wktf and Sam Wilson's Comic Reviews (with special guest Azog), 2/15/06

Sam Wilson
02-15-2006, 10:36 PM
Wktf is out on business, but he left us a great review/recap of the Marvel’s entire “House of M” event, but, OH NO! BIZZARO SAM WILSON! ARGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!

Me Bizzaro Sammy am I not. Me not write reviews. Me not buy Ultimate Fantastic Four. Me think Greg Land sucky artist. Me also happy for last issues of Batgirl and The Losers. Them books sucky too. Me hate pie. Pick of week is not Ultimate Fantastic Four, you stop reading reviews now. Azog also not write some reviews, Azog bad guy, hates comics. Don’t read Azog’s reviews. Azog not special guest reviewer today. Hello!

Sam Wilson's Reviews

The Losers #32 (final issue)
DC/Vertigo
Written by: Andy Diggle
Drawn by: Jock

For those of you who have been reading my reviews for while now, you know The Losers is one of my favorite books. Damn if in my opinion this isn’t the most unsung book out there right now. I mean damn, certain zombie books even get more love than The Losers, but I will never give up on them. This issue is the penultimate chapter to Clay, Cougar, Jensen, Pooch and Aisha’s story (issue #32 is the final issue) so, to catch everyone up: the Losers were a US Special Forces team that was operating out of Afghanistan in 1998. The team’s members include the Colonel (Clay), Jensen (computers), Roque (who is pretty much just a big a$#hole), Pooch (pilot/driver) and Cougar (sniper). There is also the Afghan woman Aisha, former member of the Afghani resistance to the Russian invasion and a CIA informant who now is more or less a member of the team, (they all share the same purpose, more or less) but her joining up takes place after the incident which “killed” the team and gave them their current self-directed mission, to bring down the mysterious man named Max and to declare war on the CIA.

In response to the US Embassy bombings in Tanzia, the President ordered a retaliatory strike against suspected terrorist Ahmed Khalfan Fadhil. The Losers were to go in and laser designate the target so the big boys could drop a 1,000 lb smart bomb on Fadhil’s head and be done with him. Given the close-lipped nature of this mission, the team was to be given orders and Fadhil’s location by a CIA handler who went by the codename “Max”. Anyway, the Losers make it to the target, designate it and order the airstrike when the unthinkable happens. They see a shipment of children being delivered to the terrorist camp, most likely to be auctioned off as slaves. The team tries to call off the airstrike, but “Max” jams their radios, and says some choice words to Col. Jensen. Max knew all along the children were going to be sent there, but he wanted the airstrike to happen anyway, and he thought “the Losers” were the kind of men (given past missions) who would follow orders without questions. It just so happens the team is sick of the absence of conscious that usually comes with blind allegiance, and they say fu$# it. They go in to save the kids. During the course of doing this though, Cougar stumbles on to something he shouldn’t have. A man buried deep within the compound, someone who has been hideously tortured who concludes he was never to be found, and Cougar finding him is was a big accident. The man tells Cougar a terrible tale, one that will change the entire team forever. He tells him the Soviets were tricked into invading Afghanistan by the US, and that the CIA (specifically this man and Max) ran Heroin into Europe and the states the fund the Afghan resistance. After the war Max kept the supply lines open to fund his own project, he wanted to remake the world in a new image, the image of a new American Century. Of course congress didn’t back this insanity and when Fadhil found out what the heroin was really funding he pulled the plug on Max and started to sell to the Russian Mob. Fadhil also put the word out he was going to sell Max’s and his partners dirty little secret to the open market, and well, that couldn’t happen. So to make a long story short, Max set up the Losers to take out Fadhil and his former partner to keep his secret safe and so he could keep on selling heroin to fund his private war and world changing aspirations. Anyway, the team escapes but Fadhil and Max’s former partner are still taken out in an airstrike. Cougar shares what he learns with the rest of his teammates and they decide to set things straight by declaring war against Max and taking him out themselves. Since the rest of the world thinks they died in the Fadhil mission, they have nothing to loose and everything to gain, and so it begins.

The final story arc of the book is entitled “Endgame”. It goes a little something like this: Max has exposed his plan to the rest of the world, he has stolen some nuclear weapons and set one off in the Gulf, causing an earthquake creating a new island, which Max declares to be the nation of “New Jerusalem”, a budding nuclear power. To show that Max indeed has nuclear capability he sets off another nuke in an unpopulated city in the Ukraine. What does he want? For the US to usurp all power in the Middle East and force them into democracy the hard way, pretty much starting a third world war (preemptively). Yeah, things are pretty well fu$#ed. The rest of the team (minus Pooch who decided to sit this one out) cooks up a suicide mission to go after Max in his new self-proclaimed nation of “New Jerusalem”, done with the aid of the Quatrain government, who clearly have their own agenda for taking Max out. The US gov’t is held at bay by Max’s arsenal of nuclear weapons, with warheads strategically placed in major American cities waiting to be detonated if things don’t go Max’s way. So the team infiltrates Max’s oil rig, but soon are betrayed by one of their own, and another one of their own sacrifices himself to kill Max, or so we’re led to believe, until another Max shows up. Of course we learn the origin of Max, yes, he’s a prick born and raised. Literally a CIA child. He’s a prick whom a lot of people want dead. The final issue is full of standoffs, tragedy, sacrifice and a somewhat happy ending.

Seeing that there are four tpbs collecting the series thus far (all are in print), it is safe to assume the entire series will be collected in tpb form, which ultimately may be the best way to read it. From the beginning Diggle designed this series with a definitive beginning, middle and end and damn if it hasn’t been more than I ever could have expected. The Losers has been optioned for film treatment, which is no surprise to me since every arc thus far has played out like a well-written action movie with plenty of violence, mayhem and strong dialogue to fuel it. So check this book out. Pick up the current issues, pick up the tpb’s, whatever you decide, I can’t recommend this series enough, and even though I’m sad that it’s over, I’m sure I’ll reread it again in a few years and it will be just as fresh and exciting.

Punisher vs. Bullseye #4 (of 5)
Marvel Comics
Written by: Daniel Way
Drawn by: Steve Dillon

What do the Punisher, Bullseye, and a cross-dressing mobster have in common? More than you would think if you picked up the first issue of Punisher vs. Bullseye #1. Our story starts in 1981 with a mobster named Fonzie Patrillo. An up and coming Mafioso, he was out and about disco dancing with some “associates” when the Punisher came and killed all of them. Fonzie fled the scene, (donning a dress to aid his escape) and now here he is, 2005, still wearing a dress hiding from the Punisher. Besides wearing a dress, Fonzie has other problems including the Rossi Family mob; a rival organization the Patrillo mob has been steadily loosing ground to over the years. Fonzie’s solution: put a hit out on the Punisher. Why? Fonzie figures once the word is out they got a hit out on good ol’ Frank the other mobs will back off and see how it plays out, buying the Patrillo mob some time to deal with the Rossi family. Also, if the Punisher gets whacked, well, happy days for all mobsters. Worse case, Punisher kills everyone (which he was probably going to get around to doing anyway). Yeah, flawed logic, but nonetheless it’s a plan, and I bet you guys will never guess who picks up that hit…

In issue two Bullseye takes over the Patrillo mob to insure he gets paid, and he also finds one of the Punishers many safehouses, and hopes to blow it up (with the Punisher inside) and collect his bounty. Of course things don’t go as planned, and the Punisher gets really ticked off which brings us to issue three, the Punishers payback (and it is a *****). Bullseye and Nico Patrillo await the Punisher in a diner, and once spotted Bullseye starts whacking civilians to draw him out. Since Patrillo soldiers surround Bullseye, there is plenty to distract Frank while Bullseye formulates a plan. Yes, more people get killed, Bullseye hijacks a bus and the Punisher is caught by a cop (gasp)! Which brings us to issue four, a nock down, drag out brawl between Bulls and the Punisher. This ain’t no fancy ninja dance either, this is an old school, playground a$# whuppin, and neither party walks away completely intact. Oh yeah, and I should mention, adults shouldn’t allow kids to play with RPG’s (rocket propelled grenades). Yup, you’re going to have to read the book for an explanation of that one…

I swear the whole time I was reading this book I felt that Daniel Way was channeling Garth Ennis. The violence, the brutal, brutal violence (sigh, I love it), the sharp dialogue, it is classic Ennis for sure, but all Ennis elements aside Daniel Way is coming into his own with this series. Yeah, there are definite similarities with this book and Ennis’s take on the Punisher, but Way is still his own person and it’s not like your reading a cheap Ennis facsimile or anything like that. In all the books that came out this week, Punisher vs. Bullseye is a definite change of pace: violent, twisted, funny, and of course featuring one of comics most underrated artists of all time, Steve Dillon (which is probably another reason this book has me thinking so much about Garth Ennis). So if you’re a Bullseye or Punisher fan, you need to pick up this book. Fans of either character will enjoy it.

Ultimate Fantastic Four #27
Marvel Comics
Written by: Mark Millar
Drawn by: Greg “Holy Crap every chica I draw is smoking hot” Land

To give everyone the quick skinny on the Ultimate Fantastic Four: Reed Richards is the world’s smartest teenager and is chosen to work for a government think tank located in Midtown Manhattan at the Baxter building. He is joined by the also genius Sue Richards, and a smart yet cranky Victor Van Damme. One day, when Reed’s childhood buddy/protector Ben Grimm dropped by for a visit, there is a experimental transporter accident and Reed, Sue, her brother Johnnie and Ben are all transformed into beings with immense power, and shortly become known as the “Fantastic Four”. Thus far they have been on many adventures including trips to the negative zone, dealings with zombies, a confrontation with Victor Van Damme (now known as Dr. Doom) and even a show down with the Sub Mariner. Yes, the kiddies have been busy, and are now currently enjoying a somewhat celebrity status, but that doesn’t mean they are without tragedy…

Issue 27 of Ultimate Fantastic Four finally gives some much-deserved attention to Ben Grimm, who, regardless of the incarnation, has always been the heart and soul of the Fantastic Four, if not the entire Marvel Universe. Reed is guilt wracked over Ben’s current mental state. The outside Ben, who jokes w/Johnny, kicks butt and saves the planet, always smilin’, Reed comes to find out that isn’t really Ben at all. He finds out Ben cries himself to sleep at night; he’s become despondent over his rocky exterior. In fact, Ben is in a deep clinical depression. Yeah, I’m being a little new age and touchy feely here, but when you read this issue you will feel exactly what I’m talking about, and damn if I didn’t become a little bit despondent myself over it all. So to fix things, Reed and the team decide to go back in time and make it so the accident that made them never happened. Of course time travel is a bad idea, things happen, and suddenly Thor is president and everyone has superpowers.

Damn if this book didn’t hit me in a lot of ways this week. The Things emotional state, combined with Greg Land’s art, damn. A one-two punch, Millar and Land are on fire with Ultimate FF, and if you haven’t checked it out yet, this issue is a great jumping on point.

Special Guest Reviewer Azog’s Reviews

Batgirl #73
DC Comics
Written by: Andersen Gabrych
Drawn by: Pop Mahn

Cassandra Cain is the daughter of Cain, former sensei to the League of Assassins. Cassandra is the current Batgirl and has been since the Batman “No Man’s Land” crossover. However, summing up her history may be for naught, as you will soon see. Since Batgirl issue 64, Cassandra Cain has been on a quest to find out who her mother truly is confronting Cain, Bronze Tiger, and Ras Al Ghul’s League of Assassins and their sensei Lady Shiva, the leading candidate for Cassandra’s mother. It also helps to mention that Cassandra has bested Lady Shiva in hand to hand combat, no easy task since Shiva has long been considered the best martial artist in the DC U.

Since Sam Wilson’s review of issue 67 a lot has happened. So let’s recap 68 to 72: leaving Black Canary and the Birds of Prey, Batgirl sets out to find the League of Assassins in hopes to confront Lady Shiva. Surprising the League, Batgirl quickly learns that she is highly respected for beating Lady Shiva once upon a time. She is introduced to the League, and even her brother Mad Dog, Cain’s first attempt at training a perfect assassin. So its goes; Shiva and Batgirl exchange some kicks and punches until Mr. Freeze appears and cocoon’s Cassandra in ice. We soon learn this was a trap set by Nyssa (Ras Al Ghuls’ daughter, “Batman: Death and the Maiden” for more info on her) and Shiva to capture Batgirl in order to get money from the top villains of Bludhaven, and also that Mr. Freeze is researching the Al Ghul’s Lazarus Pits in hopes to bring back to life his beloved wife Nora. Batgirl has to listen to Nyssa preach how Batman uses her, and that he is not a true hero because he does not kill the ones who cause so much grief. Eventually Batgirl gets some one on one time with Mr. Freeze and negotiates her freedom by agreeing to help get Nora Freeze exposed to the Lazarus Pits. So zip through the nightmare of bringing Nora back, which ends with Freeze blowing up the League’s hideout. The League of Assassins, now split with those loyal to Cassandra and those to Lady Shiva, are now pitted against one another in the wilderness. The two sides fight, knocking one another off until Batgirl has to fight her brother, who eventually stabs her and leaves her dead in the snow with the remaining members of the League. Lady Shiva then takes Batgirl’s dead body and leaves.

So now we are in issue 73, titled “The End of Batgirl.” Cassandra meets Stephanie Brown a.k.a. Spoiler who died during the “War Games” Batman crossover story arc. Stephanie tries to convince Cassandra she has passed on to the netherworld and takes her very briefly on what has been going on in the rest of DC Universe, mainly Bludhaven and the effects on it from Infinite Crisis. Cassandra is quickly ripped away from this reality as Lady Shiva has put her corpse in the Lazarus Pits and brought her back to life. Lady Shiva challenges Cassandra to the finish their original fight to the death. Keep in mind that this fight is a test of Batgirl to see if she can uphold what Batman has taught her (heroes don’t kill). It’s a quick fight and well, I will not spoil it, but know that even though this is the last issue of Batgirl, this tale will have more to it in the future.

73 issues is nothing to sneeze at, we have seen the growth of character with so much depth and personal revelation. Cassandra Cain has taken the role of Batgirl to heights that Barbara Gordon could never achieve, in fighting ability, personality, and simple, quiet sexuality. I will miss this title a lot as it has been a mainstay for me for well over two years now. Pick it up for it holds the key to some future stories in the Batman world.

Conan #25
Dark Horse Comics
Written by: Kurt Busiek
Drawn by: Cary Nord

Kurt Busiek has two more issues to go before he leaves the title he started almost two years ago. Busiek will be headed to DC to kick off a new Aquaman series. Not that I really need to mention it, but Conan is the creation of Robert E. Howard. Born in the world of Hyborian, Conan the Cimmerian, is a barbarian, thief, pirate, raider, mercenary, general, and king of the greatest empire of his time.

Issue #25 continues Conan’s adventure in Zamora and the City of Thieves. He is lying in bed with the beauty, Jiara, who in issue #24 was wooed away from the thief Gunderman. Gunderman has been caught on a botched theft where he and Conan stumbled upon one another. Gunderman makes a deal with the Surna, magistrate of Zamora, that if he brings him the head of Conan he is free to go. During this negotiation the magistrates head sorcerer casts a spell of Gunderman that insures he will not back out of the deal or double cross Surna. During an attempted theft Conan is ambushed by Gunderman and the magistrate’s soldiers, but the Cimmerian gets the best of them and heads back to the room where he left Jiara. Conan instructs her where to meet him if he does not return. Conan then steals a horse and runs from the Gunderman and Saran’s army. Conan hastily attempts to jump a canyon, but he and his horse are shot with arrows while in flight. The issue ends with Conan successfully making it to the other site, but questioning his ability to fend off the army that pursues him.

Conan is one of the most legendary heroes in fictional history. He is one of the strongest characters ever created and is a one man army. Kurt Busiek and Cary Nord have done a masterful job of recreating Howard’s stories so far in the 25 issue span of Dark Horse’s top title. I can not recommend picking this title up enough to anyone; and FYI when Busiek leaves Eisner Award winner Eric Powell’s takes on writing for issue #28, and then scribe Mike Mignola starts the “Hall of the Dead,” three issue story arc.

Sam Wilson
02-15-2006, 10:37 PM
Trade Reviews

Wktf’s Review

I’m bummed that I’m traveling for work this week. I was so psyched to review Ed Brubaker and Michael Lark’s first issue on Daredevil, especially with the big reveal that Marvel let out about this issue! Also, this week the Two-Gun Kid returns in She-Hulk, Joe Kubert’s second Sgt. Rock issue comes out, and Dracula meets Apocalypse! Oh, well. Gotta pay the mortgage, right?

Moving on, the biggest Marvel event of the recent year was House of M. This series stirred up a lot of controversy. Some called it a Crisis on Infinite Earths rip off as it was Marvel’s vehicle for correcting its own mutant overpopulation even as DC used Crisis back in the mid-80s to better rationalize its multiple universes. Others vilified Bendis’ writing saying the story was too slow or dragged out too long, that the dialogue scripting was painful and that the series was, as Macbeth soliloquized after Lady Macbeth’s suicide, full of sound and fury but signifying nothing. Then there were others like Cinescape.com, whose review Marvel plastered on the back of the trade cover, who said “House of M is bloody awesome - - A+!”

So which is it? I, myself, reviewed each issue as the series came out and remember saying at one point that I couldn’t wait for it to just end...that, while a few individual issues were really good, as a whole the whole thing was just too drawn out and convoluted. Despite that, I picked up the trade when it came out and decided to give the whole thing a reread-through to see how it holds up as one collected story.

House of M
Marvel Comics
Written by: Brian Michael Bendis
Drawn by: Olivier Coipel

I really like Bendis’ writing. I get what people say about all the “um” and “ahs” in his dialogue scripting, but I find his plotting unique and strong and, well, I like his scripting. No one else writes quite like him. What can I say? I’m a huge fan of his Daredevil run and hold Alias with the kind of posterity I reserve for such venerable but extinct titles as the 1970s’ Wolfman/Colan Tomb of Dracula. Coipel caught my eye on the Avengers “Red Zone” arc. I thought his art in that story was spectacular, especially the no holds barred battle between The Black Panther and the Red Skull. And, I have to say, having sat down to read this trade, they really deliver the goods with House of M. I realize I’m sacrificing what reputation I may have with some of you, but I’m glad I decided to reread it and thought it was an overall terrific read.

Everyone knows the story, right? Following “Avengers Disassembled” Magneto, Dr. Strange and Professor X agreed to assemble the New Avengers and the Astonishing X-Men to decide the fate of the Scarlet Witch. Quicksilver, whose love for his sister is stronger than most as any relationship in comics, refuses to let his former teammates execute her, as he fears they will, and convinces Wanda to alter reality to give everyone what they want. This would make up for the lives she previously destroyed and refocus everyone’s attention off of her. Sure enough the world changes: lives are shattered and recreated and everyone pretty much gets their hearts’ desires. Strangely, Professor X disappears but Uncle Ben’s alive and Peter’s married to Gwen, Colossus is pulling a plow in Russia, mutants are the dominant species, Hawkeye’s not dead, and Magneto rules the world from the House of M (title taken from Superman’s House of El?). Except, in doing this, Bendis gives us a really brilliant plot twist that I didn’t catch from the first reading.

Why is Wolverine the only one to realize the world’s gone haywire? Because, what has he always wanted? Why, to get all of his memories back! In getting ALL of his memories back he also got the memories of the world before House of M. Pietro’s plan and Wanda’s spell created their own undoing by giving Logan “all [he’s] ever wanted.” Pretty darn clever plotting. And, as Logan encounters Luke Cage and Hawkeye, then moves to Emma and Scott, then to Peter Parker, we learn how people’s lives have changed and witness their trauma as their memories return. The new lives are like “What If” type mini stories but lived out in current continuity. And some of the altered realities are pretty imaginative. Sebastian Shaw is the director of SHIELD. Marvel’s two big lawyers, Daredevil and She-Hulk, and dating each other as are Ms. Marvel and Wonder Man. Mystique and Logan are agents of SHIELD and sleeping together. Peter Parker’s new world is a major guilt-trip dream-come-true (it appears that his one true love still is Gwen even though he’s married to MJ). And the details of this story in relation to the Marvel Universe history are many, varied and really well researched. Plus, anyone else noticed the David Finch Moon Knight drawing, that hadn’t even seen any press at the time of this series, on Layla’s wall? Nice touch. Finally, for me, Wanda’s breakdown and escalated powers make total sense given the emotional trauma in her long history. That she could rise to be such a world threat feels like a natural evolution rather than a Beyonder/Secret Wars type plot contrivance. And, poor Peter Parker…given the roles of Ben and Gwen in his past, his pain and anger feel very real to me.

All that said, the story is not without its problems. The biggest one is Layla Miller. She’s like the “deux ex machina” from ancient Greek plays, the god who’d be lowered onto the stage to fix the mortals’ problems, randomly tie up the plot lines and resolve the play, having never been seen up until that point. Who is Layla, where’d she come from, and isn’t it just a little too damn convenient for this ultra powerful mutant we’ve never met before to just be there to restore peoples’ memories? Unless she’s really a Wanda-altered Charles Xavier, but who knows if she is? And some of the story’s other details don’t compute. Why does Wanda cry over having killer her “husband” if she’s been estranged from the Vision for years? And, if the mutants who keep their powers were the ones protected by Emma and Strange in the final battle how did Colossus, who wasn’t even on the same continent, keep his mutant powers?

But, overall, I really enjoyed this book. The whole story evolves and comes together beautifully, I like the pacing now that I’m reading it as a trade, the pain and anger of these characters are real, the battles are exciting, and anything that reduces the ultra-confusing Marvel mutant population while telling a compelling story is alright with me. In sum, I was disappointed in the series as it was being published but have done an about-face having read it as a trade. Thumbs up!

Sam Wilson’s thoughts on “House of M”

When “House of M” first hit the scene, the endless crossover books I thought were annoying. Most of them seem hit or miss. The Fantastic Four book and Iron Man books were laughable at best. Mutopia X, meh. Hulk, booo, even with Peter David on it. With rare exceptions like the Black Panther (awesome) and Spider-man, (good, but damn depressing) the crossover titles generally fell flat. Now about the eight issues “House of M” limited series, now collected in tpb form, yes, it had lots of variant covers (annoying, but kind of handy). Ultimately though, a lot of good things came out of that story, events that are holding up in the regular Marvel U today. Warbird finally got her day, Wolvie has his memories back (I’m still totally against that, as I’ve stated time and time again, the cool thing about Wolvie was always the mystery surrounding him, now in this post-“Origin” Wolvie continuity every wants to fu$% up what once made a cool character cool. GHAH!) and the Marvel U has a lot less mutants (apparently only 198 are still around). Layla Miller survived the change over and is holed up with Jamie Maddrox’s new “X-Factor”, Quicksilver is wandering around powerless and no one knows what happened to Magneto and Wanda.

To sum up, yeah, “House of M” as a crossover event, was bloated and had more bad then good. As an individual series, better, but definitely had it’s problems. But the end result? Clearing up years of bad x-men continuity? Bringing to the forefront cool yet forgotten Marvel characters (Warbird aka Ms. Marvel)? WORD. Giving Wolverine his memories? Well, I’m gonna hold off judging that one until the Way/Dillon “Wolverine Origins” series starts. Considering how hot Way is right now, and how awesome Dillon’s art is, a lot of great stories could come from this. So WORD Bendis on “HOM”. For the most part anyway…

Azog’s thoughts on “House of M”

Azog’s Thoughts

Two issues of this series stand out, #1 and #3. I have always been a fan of alternate realities and House of M played right into it with issue #1 and the several crossover titles it created. Issue 3 was special just because we got to see ole’ Clint Barton a.k.a. Hawkeye, one more time. House of M, when compared with other major Marvel crossovers does not hold its own in my opinion. Secret Wars and Atlantis attacks bash this one in the ground, however House of M has created some very good stories in its aftermath. The stories I speak of are Son of M, Quicksilver deals with not having powers, and Wolverine’s Origin story as he suddenly has all his memories back. I hate to recommend a book that I was not crazy about, but the fact is, Marvel is going to base a lot of future stories based on the occurrences in House of M and with out it, new readers will be lost. Picking them up in the TPB is the best way to keep it handy as a reference.

For more reviews, and for his thoughts on "House of M" check out bat_collectors "The Good, The Bad and the Ugly Reviews" by clicking on this handy link: http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=23688.

wktf
02-16-2006, 01:43 AM
Azog, thanks for filling in (I'm writing from a hotel room in Chicago right now)! As you could tell from my review, I was not a big fan of Secret Wars. All the major changes to the Marvel Universe went back to normal in short order and the Beyonder is a distant memory. The only one real lasting change was the symbiot Spider-Man costume which, of course, led to Venom's creation. But, hey, that's just IMHO.

And, of course, I'm curious to read b_c's House of M review once it's ready!

Bizarro Sam Wilson! Ha! Bizarro wktf think this dumb idea. Me no think funny. Sam never have original idea ever. Me no want to work with Sam ever again!!! :laugh:

Sam Wilson
02-16-2006, 08:33 AM
Azog, thanks for filling in (I'm writing from a hotel room in Chicago right now)! As you could tell from my review, I was not a big fan of Secret Wars. All the major changes to the Marvel Universe went back to normal in short order and the Beyonder is a distant memory. The only one real lasting change was the symbiot Spider-Man costume which, of course, led to Venom's creation. But, hey, that's just IMHO.

And, of course, I'm curious to read b_c's House of M review once it's ready!

Bizarro Sam Wilson! Ha! Bizarro wktf think this dumb idea. Me no think funny. Sam never have original idea ever. Me no want to work with Sam ever again!!! :laugh:

Hrmph, wktf friend is not. Bizzaro Sam no agree about House of M Spider-man. Azog no write good review on batgirl. No one likes Greg Land art on Fantastic Four.

JDH
02-16-2006, 08:49 AM
Good stuff guys. You including Land's Sue from the UFF 30 cover (just revealed in May's solicitations) as smoking hot Sam?:)

Sam Wilson
02-16-2006, 10:37 AM
Good stuff guys. You including Land's Sue from the UFF 30 cover (just revealed in May's solicitations) as smoking hot Sam?:)

bizzaro sam no see FF 30 cover, is probably bad like all greg land art, bizzaro sam wishes you not to post link or picture of cover...

wktf
02-16-2006, 10:49 AM
Ugh...jdh, the UFF 30 cover really highlights the heigene issues these Marvel zombies have...

http://www.newsarama.com/marvelnew/May06/main/ULTFF030_cov_col.jpg

Azog
02-16-2006, 11:09 AM
Nice to see Sideshow's Dr. Doom in action...

Crom
02-16-2006, 11:18 AM
I like Land' stuff at times, but his use of photo-reference is getting a tad out of hand. Is it really an homage to the Sideshow Doom or just lazieness? He obviously has some talent and I really dug his original work on Sojourn, but I think he is beginning to push things to a limit now.

Sam Wilson
02-16-2006, 11:57 AM
I like Land' stuff at times, but his use of photo-reference is getting a tad out of hand. Is it really an homage to the Sideshow Doom or just lazieness? He obviously has some talent and I really dug his original work on Sojourn, but I think he is beginning to push things to a limit now.

bizzaro sam no see it. Clearly not obvioius rip off of sideshow pose, such obvious rip off show great concentration, not lazyness.

bizzaro sam also hate Steve Dillon's art on Punny vs bulls. Steve Dillon not draw cool a$# fight scene, Daniel Way Sucky new writer who had big miss last week with "Planet Hulk" and is stupid and doesn't understand punnisher character at all.

Crom
02-16-2006, 04:20 PM
bizzaro sam no see it. Clearly not obvioius rip off of sideshow pose, such obvious rip off show great concentration, not lazyness.

bizzaro sam also hate Steve Dillon's art on Punny vs bulls. Steve Dillon not draw cool a$# fight scene, Daniel Way Sucky new writer who had big miss last week with "Planet Hulk" and is stupid and doesn't understand punnisher character at all.

Your wife must love this routine at home. :laugh:

Bizzaro Sam love sleeping on couch! It more comfortable than hard bed. Love-making overrated.

kirthew
02-16-2006, 04:35 PM
Oh god... I love Bizzaro Sam... I think he should write all the comic reviews now... Bizzaro Sam rocks the house. :buttrock:

Sam Wilson
02-16-2006, 05:02 PM
Your wife must love this routine at home. :laugh:

Bizzaro Sam love sleeping on couch! It more comfortable than hard bed. Love-making overrated.

bizzaro sam love to have wife's parent's over. THey make bizzaro sam very happy. Bizzaro sam think it very amusing to talk about things he doesn't give a rat sh$# about with wife's parents just to make nicey nice. Bizzaro Sam slept on pillowless futon when bizzaro sam told wife no way in hell parent's coming for visit, bizzaro sam love pillowless futon. Very comfy. Hopefully wife will invite brothers and sisters to visit as well. Bizzaro sam like them even more, they eat all food, they make house messy, mess with thermostat. Bizzaro sam cool with that.

Bizzaro sam especially like watching "dacning with the stars" when bizzaro sam could be watching "Transporter 2 DVD", but it cool that wifey have to watch show on "big tv", big TV bizzaro sam obviously bought to share wither everyone, because "dancing with the stars" needs the full HD, Dolby Digital 5.1 treatment, it even better that way, bizzaro sam watch "transporter 2" on little 17" TV w/no surround sound, that is best for bizzaro sam, why injoy very expensive theater room that bizzaro sam work very hard to set up when bizzaro sam can watch tiny TV in bedroom? Bizzaro Sam thinks he gets very fair deal...

Bullseye
02-16-2006, 05:29 PM
Sam the more i read your reviews of Bullseye v Punisher the more i need to pick this up. I'll wait for the trades but it sounds like great fun.

bat_collector
02-16-2006, 06:07 PM
Sam the more i read your reviews of Bullseye v Punisher the more i need to pick this up. I'll wait for the trades but it sounds like great fun.
Ouch, the first few issues are on the way to Ireland as we speak! :)

Bullseye
02-16-2006, 07:55 PM

:buttrock: Awesome.

Sam Wilson
02-16-2006, 10:07 PM

bats,bizzaro sam thinnks you should not also read punny vs. bulls, punny vs bulls suck, bizzaro sam know how you love dialogue and "ahh's" and "ummms", and punny vs. bulls has a lot of that, no action, you should not read punny vs. bulls if you no like action.

joy_division
02-17-2006, 10:10 AM
I picked up the first UFF HC and liked it. Might continue to pick them up (as I do with Punisher Max) instead of buying them monthly

ALDISISMO!
02-17-2006, 07:36 PM
Dude Issue 30 looks freakin' sick! Is it a new arc or still president Thor?

Captain Late
02-22-2006, 01:01 AM
I need Bizarro Sam to tell us how much he hates pie...

wktf
02-22-2006, 12:21 PM
Dude Issue 30 looks freakin' sick! Is it a new arc or still president Thor?
I think it's a new arc. Not completely sure, though.

fossa
02-23-2006, 10:05 AM
Dude Issue 30 looks freakin' sick! Is it a new arc or still president Thor?i HOPE it's a new arc. haven't read any of the Thor arc issues yet but i am not thrilled by what has been written about them yet. MUCH better to get back to the Zombies!

so far the Millar/Land issues have all been 3 issue story arcs. so it will probably remain that way for their 1 year run of 4 3-issue arcs.

fossa
02-23-2006, 10:19 AM
just checked the Marvel site and issue #30 of UFF is the start of a new 3-issue arc called "Frightful" which features the debut of the Frightful Four! ship date 5/24/06.