PDA

View Full Version : High Definition (LCD or Plasma)

Bullseye
02-16-2006, 06:03 PM
Which should i go for and what would you recommend?

Collection King 13
02-16-2006, 06:05 PM
I would go with LCD...

thecallahan
02-16-2006, 06:08 PM
CRT, it still gives you the truest black out there.

fossa
02-16-2006, 06:30 PM
CRT, it still gives you the truest black out there.not for long it doesn't.
yeah, and it weighs 1000 pounds!

fossa
02-16-2006, 06:31 PM
I would go with LCD...ditto!
you want a more technical answer/reasons you will have to wait for other posts.

Wooktroop
02-16-2006, 06:33 PM
http://www.highdefforum.com/index.php?

Car50n
02-16-2006, 06:51 PM
based on about 40" HDTVs.

Plasma will give the wall-mount people love and the high contrast i prefer(3000:1). average $2500

LCD could give you the best resolution(1080p / 1920X1080) with a less than admirable contrast ratio(600:1 to 1000:1). average $3000

DLP CRT gives you the best contrast ratio(2500+:1), above average resolutions(720p,1080i) and sometimes a couple hundred pounds of furniture. average $1500

my recommendations: If you already own a HDTV reciever, or any other digital recievers, you can save a lot of money by looking for a Full HD(1080p) LCD Display. it doesn't have a built in tuner and the contrast is usually between 600 to 1000:1, has plenty of interfaces, and is usually half as expensive of it's full home use counterpart. case in point:can be found for around $1300 online (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6998378&type=product&id=1110265591243)

Colossus
02-16-2006, 07:18 PM
Plasma!!!

kirthew
02-16-2006, 07:27 PM
I love my 50" Sony Wega LCD... It is awsome... and in HD... Lost looks great... CSI looks great... I just wish they would film Survivor in HD... Hell... Even American Idol (GF makes me watch) looks awsome... you can really see the wrinkles on Paula's face...

MiamiLoco
02-16-2006, 07:30 PM
ok, from what I heard, Plasma uses a liquid, that after about 5 years, you have to refill. I also heard that from the day you turn on a plasma, the picture quality starts decreasing, so after 5 years, you probably wouldn't even want to refill it.

nbr3bagshotrow
02-16-2006, 07:35 PM
I've got my High Def (52" Samsung DLP) but now the wife wants me to get a sound system.

CompEng1
02-16-2006, 07:41 PM
I've got my High Def (52" Samsung DLP) but now the wife wants me to get a sound system.

Teach me that trick O'mighty one!

Car50n
02-16-2006, 07:43 PM
ok, from what I heard, Plasma uses a liquid, that after about 5 years, you have to refill. I also heard that from the day you turn on a plasma, the picture quality starts decreasing, so after 5 years, you probably wouldn't even want to refill it.

MYTH!!! there is no 'refilling' of plasma. the average Plasma lasts about 8 yrs. thats regular use, in an average US home. someone like me who watches little TV could probably go 10 or more yrs without noticing any degradation in picture quality. Most People buy a new TV set every 6 yrs, so odds are you're gonna get rid of it before it goes"bad" anyway. and yes Video Games can affect picture quality in the long run, but only because most people play video games for hours at a time.

kirthew
02-16-2006, 07:49 PM
MYTH!!! there is no 'refilling' of plasma. the average Plasma lasts about 8 yrs. thats regular use, in an average US home. someone like me who watches little TV could probably go 10 or more yrs without noticing any degradation in picture quality. Most People buy a new TV set every 6 yrs, so odds are you're gonna get rid of it before it goes"bad" anyway. and yes Video Games can affect picture quality in the long run, but only because most people play video games for hours at a time.

I have been wondering this... because I was told there is burn in with Plasma... and not with LCD which was one of our biggest motivation factors in going with the LCD... is this True or False...

Car50n
02-16-2006, 07:53 PM
I have been wondering this... because I was told there is burn in with Plasma... and not with LCD which was one of our biggest motivation factors in going with the LCD... is this True or False...

you can "burn-in" with just about any of them. the other factor is LCD and dead pixels. these are specs that stay in one color channel at all times. most lcds have one or two. whether you live with it or not, depends on how bearable you may be with them.

kirthew
02-16-2006, 07:58 PM
you can "burn-in" with just about any of them. the other factor is LCD and dead pixels. these are specs that stay in one color channel at all times. most lcds have one or two. whether you live with it or not, depends on how bearable you may be with them.

We got lucky and have no dead pixels... which is awsome... but I am afraid of the burn in... Might have to hook the 360 up to something else...

Bullseye
02-16-2006, 08:04 PM
I like this one. I'd only buy Sony or Pioneer.
http://www.sony.ie/view/ShowProduct.action?product=KLV-V40A10E&site=odw_en_IE&pageType=Overview&category=TVP+Widescreen+16x9+TV

MiamiLoco
02-16-2006, 08:05 PM
http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatvreviews/plasma-vs-lcd.html

according to this, it's pretty much a toss up.

The General
02-16-2006, 08:10 PM
Plasma is the way to go.

Bullseye
02-16-2006, 08:15 PM
Also thinking of Pioneer PDP-436XDE

Gianco
02-16-2006, 08:29 PM
I can recommend you PANASONIC!!! It's awesome. If I'm not wrong, there are only 4 or 5 Plasma TV manufacturers. These people make plasma TV for all the different brands around.

Car50n
02-16-2006, 08:32 PM
We got lucky and have no dead pixels... which is awsome... but I am afraid of the burn in... Might have to hook the 360 up to something else...

"burn-in" happens when the same image is left on screen for too long. so as long as you dont pause the 360 for a couple of hours, you have nothing to worry about.

Meteor Man
02-16-2006, 08:44 PM
LCD...Plasma wears out too fast. At least that's what I've been told!...

kirthew
02-16-2006, 09:02 PM
"burn-in" happens when the same image is left on screen for too long. so as long as you dont pause the 360 for a couple of hours, you have nothing to worry about.

Actually... the article someone posted said that LCDs have no burn in... so I am really not worried now... shall still play Madden 06 in HD :)

The General
02-16-2006, 09:24 PM
I can recommend you PANASONIC!!! It's awesome. If I'm not wrong, there are only 4 or 5 Plasma TV manufacturers. These people make plasma TV for all the different brands around.
You got that right. I only buy Panasonic.

LCD...Plasma wears out too fast. At least that's what I've been told!...
Not true, another myth. You would literally have to have the tv on 13 hours a day for a few years to lose any picture. Some of the plasma myths were true to a certain extent but those were the first plasmas that came out, the new generation of plasmas are light years ahead of those first models. Also what someone mentioned in earlier post is true, very few companies manufacture their own plasma tvs. Sony for one doesn't, don't believe me research it. I believe Panasonic, Pioneer, NEC and Dell are the only ones that make it all in house. Panasonic put this plasma stuff on the map, they are the godfathers of plasma.

rosko23
02-16-2006, 09:38 PM
First ? is what size. Going bigger than 40" options are Plasma or DLP/LCD PRojection. Here the main differences are size. Plasmas are about 3 inches wide while LCD Projection and DLP's are about 10-13". I like Plasmas but i think for the money I would get a LCD Projection or DLP. There is a diff btwn the 2 but that is another post.

Smaller than 40" (which is prob not going to happen right?) then lcd or crt is ur options. Samsung makes a nice CRT (Slimfit) but I think the biggest is 30".

I have an LCD Projection, LCD, and DLP. And I like my LCD Projection the best but thats bc its the biggest 61".

Also, no burn-ins with any of them. Plasma uses gas not liquid and can't be refilled. There is no real way to tell how long they last. They are all rated to last about 7 years with normail viewing (avg 4-6 hours a day), but some last 1-2 yrs. They are like cars.

Think about this though, Most Plasmas at Best Buy are on for about 13 hrs a day 364 days a year for about 1-2 yrs. And the good ones don't have issues often, but u pay a premium for them. Sorry for my rant, I am big into Home Theater and use to work at Best Buy Home Theater Dept during College.

Justin
02-16-2006, 09:42 PM
This is a great thread because when I move into the new place in about 4 weeks I'll be buying a new TV also so I'm looking forward to reading everyone's views on this!

Boerboel
02-16-2006, 11:47 PM
This is a great thread because when I move into the new place in about 4 weeks I'll be buying a new TV also so I'm looking forward to reading everyone's views on this!

Yet another reason to see it we can get a home theater section on the forum. Doesn't have to fancy, just some place for people to ask questions and not feel like a moron. I have looked into several audio/video forums and most of those guys are in a whole different league. I consider myself to be a fairly bright guy , but I have a hard time trying to make heads or tails out of a lot of the posts.

rosko23
02-17-2006, 01:04 AM
Yet another reason to see it we can get a home theater section on the forum. Doesn't have to fancy, just some place for people to ask questions and not feel like a moron. I have looked into several audio/video forums and most of those guys are in a whole different league. I consider myself to be a fairly bright guy , but I have a hard time tring to make heads or tails out of a lot of the posts.
u must have vistied the avsforum :) it can be intimidating, but the best thing to do is just lurk for a while then u can build up ur knowledge. After a while u pick things up quick.

Boerboel
02-17-2006, 04:18 AM
u must have vistied the avsforum :) it can be intimidating, but the best thing to do is just lurk for a while then u can build up ur knowledge. After a while u pick things up quick.

I checked it out only a few times. I think I'm going to remodel the basement before I get a new tv. Half of it is finished, but its from the 70's so that has to go. Once I get that done I will go back to that forum and a couple others and see what I can pick up from those guys.

Justin
02-17-2006, 09:08 AM
Yet another reason to see it we can get a home theater section on the forum. Doesn't have to fancy, just some place for people to ask questions and not feel like a moron. I have looked into several audio/video forums and most of those guys are in a whole different league. I consider myself to be a fairly bright guy , but I have a hard time trying to make heads or tails out of a lot of the posts.

That's a great suggestion Boerboel, I know we could post any questions we have in the movies section but it would be pretty easy for question to get missed there, It is a daunting thing when you start looking at getting a new TV now because you get told some many conflicting stories

thecallahan
02-17-2006, 02:15 PM
CRT's still the best bang for you buck. I mean, I can't afford the higher end stuff and my CRT is just fine. Plus, they're releasing slim fit crt's now that are about 2/3's as thick as normal tv's and also weigh a lot less.

If you have the money though, go for lcd.

JadeGiant
02-17-2006, 02:36 PM
I bought a projector and a nice HT surround system for my theater room

Infocus 4805 and Cambridge Soundworks - killer setup