PDA

View Full Version : New York vs Chicago (Pizza)

sellin71
02-16-2006, 11:15 PM
I'm making a trip this summer. Most of my trips are planned with food in mind. Which style is better, New York or Chicago style pizza? I threw in two other options as well.

Tony Coca
02-16-2006, 11:17 PM
New York style Pizza.

sellin71
I have to vote for St. Louis style because I don't like California gourmet pizza and I haven't tried real NY or Chicago pizzas. Imo's Pizza rocks in St. Louis.

Collection King 13
NY is the best hands down...

sellin71
02-16-2006, 11:18 PM

I already counted your vote before the poll even started. :laugh:

madjazz
02-16-2006, 11:19 PM
New Haven style is really the best, but NY makes one fine pie.

sellin71
02-16-2006, 11:19 PM

Oh yea, be specific about the pizza joint that does your style the best.

Inception
02-16-2006, 11:24 PM
I'm making a trip this summer. Most of my trips are planned with food in mind. Which style is better, New York or Chicago style pizza? I threw in two other options as well.
Nope, sorry all gotta run with the California style . . . CPK all the way :buttrock:

Sam Wilson
02-16-2006, 11:28 PM
I would just like to add, since I've been here in ATL, they do pizza here for SH$#. They claim, chicago style, NYC style, w/e. It's all crap. ATL has SH$# for pizza. :(

kar-kar
02-16-2006, 11:28 PM
I have tried NY pizza and for me its Chicago Pizza Hands down,Home Run Inn and Ginos East

Collection King 13
02-16-2006, 11:31 PM
Oh yea, be specific about the pizza joint that does your style the best.
There is this one place in the Bronx called Cross Bronx Pizza... The slices there cost $2.00 but the slices are HUGE! They are like 2 in one... There is also this other pizza place in Manhattan called Patsy's where they actually use a brick oven... The slices there are small but the pizza is great!

sellin71
02-16-2006, 11:36 PM
There is this one place in the Bronx called Cross Bronx Pizza... The slices there cost $2.00 but the slices are HUGE! They are like 2 in one... There is also this other pizza place in Manhattan called Patsy's where they actually use a brick oven... The slices there are small but the pizza is great!

All I want to know is where are you taking me when I come up to watch the Yankees! Let me guess the $2.00 place :laugh:

Collection King 13
02-16-2006, 11:40 PM
All I want to know is where are you taking me when I come up to watch the Yankees! Let me guess the $2.00 place :laugh:
where ever you want to go! :buttrock:

sellin71
02-16-2006, 11:49 PM
where ever you want to go! :buttrock:

What's the deal with Ray's Pizza. New York's best pizza (according to Food Channel).

Twoguns-Crowley
02-16-2006, 11:54 PM
California gourmet by far is the best. Kidding of course, I have had pizza in both Chicago and New York a long time ago and from what I remember I liked them both. I should go on a vacation to both spots for the pizza and meet the area members. Oh yeah, money...dang!

Collection King 13
02-16-2006, 11:55 PM
What's the deal with Ray's Pizza. New York's best pizza (according to Food Channel).
Never been there... where is it? Its probably $10 a slice and not real NY pizza... Damn Food Network crap....

Collection King 13
02-16-2006, 11:56 PM
California gourmet by far is the best. Kidding of course, I have had pizza in both Chicago and New York a long time ago and from what I remember I liked them both. I should go on a vacation to both spots for the pizza and meet the area members. Oh yeah, money...dang!
I can FedEx you some from NY... :D

workingdog
02-17-2006, 12:08 AM
Chicago style for me. Restaurants/pizza parlor's? Too numerous to mention!

Last fall a book came out called Everybody Loves Pizza where the authors list what they thought to be the best pizza places in America. Their top 10 were:

1. Una Pizza Napoletana, New York City
2. DeLorenzo's Tomato Pies, Trenton, N.J.
3. Pizzeria Bianco, Phoenix
4. Pizano's, Chicago
5. Punch Neapolitan Pizza, Minneapolis
6. Wells Brothers Italian Restaurant, Racine, Wisc.
7. Sally's Apizza, New Haven, Conn.
8. The Cheese Board Pizza Collective, Berkeley, Calif.
9. Frank Pepe Pizzeria Napoletana, New Haven, Conn.
10. Metro Pizza, Las Vegas

I've had the pizza at number 6 in the list there, Wells Brothers, and it is out of this world. Especially if you enjoy a pizza with a nice crispy but paper thin crust.

The General
02-17-2006, 12:15 AM
Don't mean to backstab my city but Chicago's pizza is better.

Twoguns-Crowley
02-17-2006, 12:16 AM
I can FedEx you some from NY... :D
Heck yeah, if Omaha Steaks can do it! Send me one and a six pack of Brooklyn Lager too.

Curt Chiarelli
02-17-2006, 02:58 AM
I would just like to add, since I've been here in ATL, they do pizza here for SH$#. They claim, chicago style, NYC style, w/e. It's all crap. ATL has SH$# for pizza. :(

Hi Sam:

I hear you! The same thing happens out here in California. They all make a claim to have the best "Chicago Style" thick crust pizza, but it all tastes like corrugated cardboard.
And the worst part of it is, instead of working on getting basics right, they dump stuff on their pizzas that have no natural right being there: tofu, alfalfa, millet seeds, water cress, bean sprouts, etc.

In my opinion, if the ingredients aren't rich enough to trigger a cardiac seizure in a healthy 20 year old man, you haven't made a pizza worthy enough to feed to my dog.

However, there is one exception out here:Bocca di Beppo's. Let me tell you, those guys aren't afraid of seasoning their garlic with a little tomato sauce! And as for the crusts on their pizzas: they've been blessed by the Pope himself!

And don't even get me started on the subject of trying to find a good gyros out here in Frisco . . . .

Ghost
02-17-2006, 03:08 AM
I have to say it's more of personal taste. There's obviously big differences between Chicago style and NY style. Ny has some great large pies, delicious at that. But I have to say Chicago style is my fave just cause it really is a style on it's own. While many know of Home Run Inn, Uno's, Gino's East, and Giordano's. But the best is finding the great smaller local joints around town that have their own spin too it. It's finding the best sauce too! But the few times I've been to NY I always like to try anything I can find. Would be kewl to find some really great spots. But as far as California pizza, ugh not even on the level as Chitown or NY!

Curt Chiarelli
02-17-2006, 03:10 AM
I have to say it's more of personal taste. There's obviously big differences between Chicago style and NY style. Ny has some great large pies, delicious at that. But I have to say Chicago style is my fave just cause it really is a style on it's own. While many know of Home Run Inn, Uno's, Gino's East, and Giordano's. But the best is finding the great smaller local joints around town that have their own spin too it. It's finding the best sauce too! But the few times I've been to NY I always like to try anything I can find. Would be kewl to find some really great spots. But as far as California pizza, ugh not even on the level as Chitown or NY!

:thumbs2:

Bullseye
02-17-2006, 07:53 AM
From the US then its gotta be NYC. But if you want the best pizza in the world you need to visit Napoli.

Justin
02-17-2006, 08:52 AM
Guys I'd like to let you know how I make my own home made pizza and I think it's very hard to top, Start of with some Turkish bread, spread some tomato paste over it, put a light sprinkling of shredded mozzarella on next, after that it's time for your shaved ham, I then go with some diced tomato, now it's time for the fun stuff! Mushrooms, Olives, Capsicum, Onion, Baby Spinach, Peppers, Hot Salami & anything else that takes your fancy!, I then go with a liberal sprinkling of fresh Basil & Oregano and top that bad boy off with some more shredded mozzarella. I cook that for 25 minutes in a pre heated over at 200 degrees, Lads I have to say it really doesn't get much better than that! On a side note, you guys have to pay $2 for a slice over there? geez if I want to buy one here I can pick a large up for $5 and they are nice pizza's!! I just really love the homemade one's! which the girl and I just had about 2 hours ago!! :)

Primal
02-17-2006, 09:07 AM
All I want to know is where are you taking me when I come up to watch the Yankees! Let me guess the $2.00 place :laugh:Probably some back alley in the South Bronx to get your @ss mugged & sold for $2.00. :laugh: What's the deal with Ray's Pizza. New York's best pizza (according to Food Channel).Ray's is really good. It's a chain of pizza joints.

madjazz
02-17-2006, 09:28 AM
Chicago style for me. Restaurants/pizza parlor's? Too numerous to mention!

Last fall a book came out called Everybody Loves Pizza where the authors list what they thought to be the best pizza places in America. Their top 10 were:

1. Una Pizza Napoletana, New York City
2. DeLorenzo's Tomato Pies, Trenton, N.J.
3. Pizzeria Bianco, Phoenix
4. Pizano's, Chicago
5. Punch Neapolitan Pizza, Minneapolis
6. Wells Brothers Italian Restaurant, Racine, Wisc.
7. Sally's Apizza, New Haven, Conn.
8. The Cheese Board Pizza Collective, Berkeley, Calif.
9. Frank Pepe Pizzeria Napoletana, New Haven, Conn.
10. Metro Pizza, Las Vegas

I've had the pizza at number 6 in the list there, Wells Brothers, and it is out of this world. Especially if you enjoy a pizza with a nice crispy but paper thin crust.
#7 Sally's and #9 Pepe's are both great examples of New Haven Pizza. Randy's Wooster Street Pizza and Rossini's Restaurant are two other great examples.

I've eaten at Giordano's and Gino's East. Also quality pies, I just prefer the New Haven and NY styles.

CA Pizza Kitchen gourmet pizzas bite the mighty one.

Sam - I know the feeling you are having in Atlanta. WHen we lived in Maine for a time it was awful. They have great seafood but can't make Italian to save their life. The pizza sucks and you can't even buy a decent grinder. They have a grinder style they call an Italian that no self-respecting NY Italian would want to claim credit for. NY Italian and Jewish delis - now they know how to make grinders.

Bullseye
02-17-2006, 09:40 AM
Probably some back alley in the South Bronx to get your @ss mugged & sold for $2.00. :laugh: Ray's is really good. It's a chain of pizza joints.

Rays pizza is great. I was in his shop on (I think 8th or 9th avenue) just off Times Square. They shot a scene from the film Bringing out the Dead just outside that shop.

Sam Wilson
02-17-2006, 10:01 AM
Sam - I know the feeling you are having in Atlanta. WHen we lived in Maine for a time it was awful. They have great seafood but can't make Italian to save their life. The pizza sucks and you can't even buy a decent grinder. They have a grinder style they call an Italian that no self-respecting NY Italian would want to claim credit for. NY Italian and Jewish delis - now they know how to make grinders.

WORD curt and madjazz.

They have a grinder place here, "jersey mikes", but let me tell you, the only sandwhich that is any good is their philly steak. Go freakin' figure.

I mean, fried chicken, wings, bbq, man. I'm up to my eyeballs in it. But italian, PIzza, etc. Nothing. Nada. All the pizza here is 99% dough, even the thin crust. Ghah.

Wolverine1
02-17-2006, 10:16 AM
Dominos is really good.

Bullseye
02-17-2006, 10:24 AM
WORD curt and madjazz.

They have a grinder place here, "jersey mikes", but let me tell you, the only sandwhich that is any good is their philly steak. Go freakin' figure.

I mean, fried chicken, wings, bbq, man. I'm up to my eyeballs in it. But italian, PIzza, etc. Nothing. Nada. All the pizza here is 99% dough, even the thin crust. Ghah.

Food not great in Atlanta Sam? I've only been to the airport but like you say the Philly Steak sandwich is very nice. But you have to have a good Italian, Chinese??

cblakey1
02-17-2006, 10:27 AM
Country -

In the rest of the US we've never heard of St. Louis pizza. What do they put barbeque on it or something? :confused:

Inception
02-17-2006, 10:33 AM
[QUOTE=madjazz]#7 Sally's and #9 Pepe's are both great examples of New Haven Pizza. Randy's Wooster Street Pizza and Rossini's Restaurant are two other great examples.

well some people feel that they are doing it the correct way 225 restaraunts with 22 more slated to open this year alone and in nearly every major national and international airport as well as the 2nd largest frozen distributer in the US. must not be all that bad.....
:eplus2:

sellin71
02-17-2006, 01:19 PM
Country -

In the rest of the US we've never heard of St. Louis pizza. What do they put barbeque on it or something? :confused:

St. Louis pizza is on a very thin crust, almost like a cracker. They also use a different kind of cheese, not mozzerella. I think it is Romano. It is very addicting.

Sniper
02-17-2006, 01:40 PM
Dominos is really good.
:puke2: :puke2: god I hate them

JadeGiant
02-17-2006, 01:53 PM
my vore for Chizza is biased as I didn't get any NYzza when I was there .... I love me sone Chicago style pie!

Describe the NY pizza - style? crust? etc.

Daywalker
02-17-2006, 01:58 PM
New Yawk for sure ..... fugedahboudit
:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

JadeGiant
02-17-2006, 02:00 PM
New Yawk for sure ..... fugedahboudit
:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

why? what's special about NY pie?

Collection King 13
02-17-2006, 02:05 PM
ITs just the best!!! You should come over and try some! :buttrock:

JadeGiant
02-17-2006, 02:09 PM
ITs just the best!!! You should come over and try some! :buttrock:

I will definately do that when I get to the city again.

Daywalker
02-17-2006, 02:21 PM
its special b/c its NY pizza - the best pizza in all the land ! :buttrock: :buttrock:

Zurbaran1
02-17-2006, 02:50 PM
ditto to what Junior said.

JadeGiant
02-17-2006, 03:05 PM
[QUOTE=madjazz]#7 Sally's and #9 Pepe's are both great examples of New Haven Pizza. Randy's Wooster Street Pizza and Rossini's Restaurant are two other great examples.

well some people feel that they are doing it the correct way 225 restaraunts with 22 more slated to open this year alone and in nearly every major national and international airport as well as the 2nd largest frozen distributer in the US. must not be all that bad.....
:eplus2:

I agree, CPK is good but not in the ballpark of some of the others. Bigger doesn't always mean better ....

I just love pizza! Kindof like Sam likes pie :buttrock:

Wolverine1
02-17-2006, 03:31 PM
:puke2: :puke2: god I hate them
Really all we got around my town. Major pizza known places.

Ghost
02-17-2006, 03:39 PM
Dominos is really good.

Dominos?! Hell I would have picked Pizza Hut or Little Caesar's out of that lot, but Dominos for me is the worst of the worst! Get out there and try some real pizza!

Ghost
02-17-2006, 03:41 PM
I think it would be more fair for ppl that DON'T live in either NY or Chicago to vote. We're used to eating our own style for years and years it's gonna be a little lopsided cause we both know the other's great just we're gonna stick with our hometown's. Cause frankly there's more then half of the ppl on this forum are pretty much from NY they're gonna vote for it! Well minus The General since he picked Chitown hah!

Wolverine1
02-17-2006, 03:42 PM
Dominos?! Hell I would have picked Pizza Hut or Little Caesar's out of that lot, but Dominos for me is the worst of the worst! Get out there and try some real pizza!
Little Caesars is really nasty. Can not really stand them.

Kirk Durfey
02-17-2006, 04:22 PM
For fast food pizza I have to go with Round Table...

JadeGiant
02-17-2006, 04:38 PM
I think it would be more fair for ppl that DON'T live in either NY or Chicago to vote. We're used to eating our own style for years and years it's gonna be a little lopsided cause we both know the other's great just we're gonna stick with our hometown's. Cause frankly there's more then half of the ppl on this forum are pretty much from NY they're gonna vote for it! Well minus The General since he picked Chitown hah!

I agree - that's why I think Chitown comes out favorably since they aren't represented nearly as well on the board as NYC ...

Justin
02-20-2006, 01:25 AM
Guys I'd like to let you know how I make my own home made pizza and I think it's very hard to top, Start of with some Turkish bread, spread some tomato paste over it, put a light sprinkling of shredded mozzarella on next, after that it's time for your shaved ham, I then go with some diced tomato, now it's time for the fun stuff! Mushrooms, Olives, Capsicum, Onion, Baby Spinach, Peppers, Hot Salami & anything else that takes your fancy!, I then go with a liberal sprinkling of fresh Basil & Oregano and top that bad boy off with some more shredded mozzarella. I cook that for 25 minutes in a pre heated over at 200 degrees, Lads I have to say it really doesn't get much better than that! On a side note, you guys have to pay $2 for a slice over there? geez if I want to buy one here I can pick a large up for $5 and they are nice pizza's!! I just really love the homemade one's! which the girl and I just had about 2 hours ago!! :)

nobody liked the sound of my home made pizza? wow I am shocked, I thought this would have proved to be something some people on here would have liked to have tried :buttrock:

Primal
02-20-2006, 01:58 AM
Rays pizza is great. I was in his shop on (I think 8th or 9th avenue) just off Times Square.Definitely. Every place I've worked at in Midtown Manhattan at some point does pizza deliveries from Ray's. :buttrock:

rychehitman
06-14-2007, 04:39 PM
let the argument CONTINUE!!!!

Alex655321
06-14-2007, 04:41 PM
New York style Pizza.

Ditto with extra cheese:thumbs2:

VaultMan
06-14-2007, 04:52 PM
NY pizza is the worst. With the exception of Ray's or maybe Granny's on 6th and 23rd. And Giovanni's (Bronx) is pretty DAMNED good.
Otherwise, NY pizza is like eating a grilled cheese sandwich without enough bread. Blah.

Chicago style is the best.

And I cant believe you didnt put Detroit pizza on the list. WTF?!?! :laugh:

High Lord Apocalypse
06-14-2007, 04:57 PM
i lived in chicago and nj(close enough to NY) and had plenty of both types of pizza.

NY style wins by many many miles!!!!:buttrock: :happybirt

(st.louis and cali dont deserve to be in the same poll):eplus2:

'Nuff
06-14-2007, 05:02 PM
I usta make my own...But for "store bought'...we used ta have a place called Godfather's...best stuff I ever bought...Where ever it is from get's my vote...:buttrock:

Bullseye
06-14-2007, 07:21 PM
“Rays pizza” with plenty of olive oil.

Bullseye
06-14-2007, 07:22 PM
I though deep pan pizzas were referred to as “Sicilian Style”?

Tony Coca
06-14-2007, 08:31 PM
Nothing beats New York Pizza.
Just have to go to the right places to get it.

armitage
06-14-2007, 08:59 PM
HOLY S#!T!!!!
There's no question!:banghead:

CHICAGO Style!!!:stick:

cougartrace
06-15-2007, 09:09 AM
I've eaten NY Pizza and Chicago Pizza (I've stayed in Manhattan once and Downtown Chicago once).

Being from Houston, we also have the traditional pizzas here because we have so many New Yorkers and Cubbies here.

I'm a thin crust person, so I will go with New York.

Now, if you are talking Hot Dogs, then Chicago it is!!!

wolverinejedi007
06-15-2007, 09:19 AM
I love thin crust pizza...thin and well done is the way that I order..that is all.

cma3
06-15-2007, 09:25 AM
NYC pizza is the best. Hands down.

ANGRYCOMICMAN
06-15-2007, 01:24 PM
Here's some info:
In 1895, Gennaro Lombardi opened the first pizza parlor in the United States at 53 1/2 Spring St. in New York City.

So we win, everybody else loses!!!:buttrock:

ANGRYCOMICMAN
06-15-2007, 01:27 PM
I though deep pan pizzas were referred to as “Sicilian Style”?

They are technically deep pan, but they burn the bottoms on purpose, to keep the "black hand" tradition.:eplus2:

sellin71
06-15-2007, 01:27 PM
I love thin crust pizza...thin and well done is the way that I order..that is all.

You would love St Louis Style too!

ANGRYCOMICMAN
06-15-2007, 01:30 PM
And the on fruit I want on my Pizza is a TOMATO.
Pineapple on pizza is for girly men.:mad:

sellin71
06-15-2007, 01:48 PM
And the on fruit I want on my Pizza is a TOMATO.
Pineapple on pizza is for girly men.:mad:

Amen!

ANGRYCOMICMAN
06-15-2007, 01:53 PM
You would love St Louis Style too!

Thin crust when done properly is the best, it has to be well done of course.:thumbs2:

firestorm
06-15-2007, 01:56 PM
Dominos is really good.

... :puke2:... JEEZ!... you MUST be out of your mind, man... :stick:...

galactus
06-15-2007, 02:00 PM
I've eaten NY Pizza and Chicago Pizza (I've stayed in Manhattan once and Downtown Chicago once).

Being from Houston, we also have the traditional pizzas here because we have so many New Yorkers and Cubbies here.

I'm a thin crust person, so I will go with New York.

Now, if you are talking Hot Dogs, then Chicago it is!!!

Bingo, this Sabretts crap we have in NY sucks. The Vienna Beef in Chicago is some top notch lips and assholes :thumbs2:

firestorm
06-15-2007, 02:00 PM
Here's a killer for ya'll... anyone ever have giardeniera on yer pizza?... talk about a waste of good pizza... :thumbsdow...

firestorm
06-15-2007, 02:02 PM
The Vienna Beef in Chicago is some top notch lips and assholes :thumbs2:

Boy, THAT really sounds appetizing (insert sarcastic tone here)... think I'll pass on my Vienna Polish lunch... thanks a LOT, galactus... :stick:...

galactus
06-15-2007, 02:03 PM
Boy, THAT really sounds appetizing (insert sarcastic tone here)... think I'll pass on my Vienna Polish lunch... thanks a LOT, galactus... :stick:...

I'm not even a Hot Dog guy and I think the Vienna Beef dogs in Chi-town are great :thumbs2: But they ARE just lips and assholes :confused2

ANGRYCOMICMAN
06-15-2007, 02:04 PM
Bingo, this Sabretts crap we have in NY sucks. The Vienna Beef in Chicago is some top notch lips and assholes :thumbs2:

I only eat Kosher Hot Dogs.
I saw how the other ones were made.:puke2:

firestorm
06-15-2007, 02:04 PM
I'm not even a Hot Dog guy and I think the Vienna Beef dogs in Chi-town are great :thumbs2: But they ARE just lips and assholes :confused2

... asshole... :laugh:... j/k, buddy...

ANGRYCOMICMAN
06-15-2007, 02:05 PM
Here's a killer for ya'll... anyone ever have giardeniera on yer pizza?... talk about a waste of good pizza... :thumbsdow...

What's that a Venirial Disease?

galactus
06-15-2007, 02:06 PM
... asshole... :laugh:... j/k, buddy...

That's LIPS and assholes... :laugh:

firestorm
06-15-2007, 02:07 PM
What's that a Venirial Disease?

chopped-up hot peppers, basically... didn't you ever have that on yer beef sandwich?... and no jokes, all you smartasses out there...

ANGRYCOMICMAN
06-15-2007, 02:08 PM

The "Toenail Guy" in the other thread is a "Hot Dog Kinda Guy".:rolleyes2

firestorm
06-15-2007, 02:08 PM
That's LIPS and assholes... :laugh:

Fer makin' me lose my appetite, you can take yer lips and kiss MY asshole, smartass... :laugh:...

ANGRYCOMICMAN
06-15-2007, 02:09 PM
chopped-up hot peppers, basically... didn't you ever have that on yer beef sandwich?... and no jokes, all you smartasses out there...

oh, Hot Peppers, yeah, yummy on Roast Beast, not Pizza.:thumbs2:

ANGRYCOMICMAN
06-15-2007, 02:11 PM
Fer makin' me lose my appetite, you can take yer lips and kiss MY asshole, smartass... :laugh:...

Now this definately belongs with the "Toenail Guy", thread.:peoples:

firestorm
06-15-2007, 02:11 PM
Boy, this thread is REALLY becoming unappetizing, what with all the talk of lips, assholes and venereal diseases... :puke2:...

moon_knight1971
06-15-2007, 07:26 PM
I went to manhattan earlier this year and had pizza at several places but wasn't impressed with any of them. Never been to Chicago so I can't say anything about theirs.