PDA

View Full Version : Batman Clock Tower (Paquet) What is with the clock?

CessnaDriver
02-20-2006, 02:57 AM
This has been bothering me for YEARS,
Lie awake at night, pondering.......

What is with the funky clock on this statue?

The time indicated is not a real time.
The hands are all goofed up.

Big hand between 12 and 1.

Little hand between 1 and 2.

WTF? 3 minutes after 1:30????

Is there some signifigance to this?

The should have just made a real clock out of it.

Tetragrammaton
02-20-2006, 03:06 AM
Huh?

How can anytime indicated on a twelve hour rotary dial clock, not be a real time?

http://i1.tinypic.com/o6ibdl.jpg

OK looking at it, I see what you mean...the hour hand should be slightly after the top of the hour (if the minute hand is correct).

CessnaDriver
02-20-2006, 03:12 AM
[QUOTE=Tetragrammaton]Huh?

How can anytime indicated on a twelve hour rotary dial clock, not be a real time?

[QUOTE]

You can tell time with just the little hand right?

Little hand says 1:30.

The big hand should be around the 6 if that were the case. But its not, is shows three minutes after the hour.

They dont jive.

Daredevil
02-20-2006, 03:26 AM
The clock is broken... no wonder Batman is angry

bane
02-20-2006, 04:46 AM
Never the less , great statue :buttrock: one of the best Batman statues out there

boondocksaint
02-20-2006, 04:56 AM
Never the less , great statue :buttrock: one of the best Batman statues out there

agreed,,,one of my personal favs in my collection :buttrock:

Confessor
02-20-2006, 06:37 AM
They dont jive.

Um, that would be "jibe." :eplus2:

CessnaDriver
02-20-2006, 04:33 PM
Um, that would be "jibe." :eplus2:

Sheeeiit brother,

'S'mofo tic tock be layin' me to da' BONE! Jackin' me up... tight me! Hook me up with the 411 on Batcracka's time quandary. I know you all that.

William Paquet
02-20-2006, 05:09 PM
This has been bothering me for YEARS,
Lie awake at night, pondering.......

What is with the funky clock on this statue?

The time indicated is not a real time.
The hands are all goofed up.

Big hand between 12 and 1.

Little hand between 1 and 2.

WTF? 3 minutes after 1:30????

Is there some signifigance to this?

The should have just made a real clock out of it.

Right. It's 1:33 by way of Hong Kong time. Thought that was obvious. Differrent time zone, ya know?

DC left it to the factory to apply the hands on the clock. How it got by QC is anyone's guess. Actually everyone invloved in the project quite a laugh out of it.

For a while there was talk of producing a varient edition with the clock reading, 72 minutes past the hour of 6:38, but the idea was scrapped due to language barriers.

Truthfully, there WAS talk of producing the piece in metal with a real clock. Like those cool antique cast iron, sculpted mantel clocks. Obviously that never happened.

bomen
02-20-2006, 05:22 PM
i never saw that before!
Now I'm GLAD I sold this!!! :D

boondocksaint
02-20-2006, 05:32 PM
still one of the best bats out there

CessnaDriver
02-20-2006, 05:43 PM
Right. It's 1:33 by way of Hong Kong time. Thought that was obvious. Differrent time zone, ya know?

DC left it to the factory to apply the hands on the clock. How it got by QC is anyone's guess. Actually everyone invloved in the project quite a laugh out of it.

For a while there was talk of producing a varient edition with the clock reading, 72 minutes past the hour of 6:38, but the idea was scrapped due to language barriers.

Truthfully, there WAS talk of producing the piece in metal with a real clock. Like those cool antique cast iron, sculpted mantel clocks. Obviously that never happened.

Thanks for the info! This board is awesome, you never know who will chime in!
Great work by the way, easily one of the very best.

Now I can stop losing sleep over this. :laugh:

Walrus
02-20-2006, 05:51 PM
Awesome statue. One of my favorites.

leks
02-20-2006, 07:05 PM
Actually some years ago I hired a friend of mine who does some private investigation on the side to investigate exactly this matter.

First he started beating people randomly, after I told him what I wanted him to investigate, he decided to stake out the factory.

Late at night he broke into the place and found the secret map containing the secret files. It was hidden away in a secret desk behind a secret wall inside a secret factory in a parallel world. Anyway he charged me accordingly.

Although this might scar some of you for life I am willing to take that risk for the greater good.

BEHOLD... the truth....

http://212.123.6.126/test/monkeybiz.jpg

William Paquet
02-20-2006, 07:48 PM
I had heard of this, but never believed it so. Very sad.

BTW- if you hold the statue up to a mirror, the only visible numbers are three 6's, and the hands form a pentagram.

I have no idea what that means, but whenever I do it, my dog howls and I feel an insatiable need to watch the Exorcist and eat pie.

Thanks for the help dude. Send the PI bill to me.

leks
02-20-2006, 08:10 PM
That sounds scary William since I dont own a dog I might skip that for now :confused2

:laugh: but seriously, as others stated earlier, this is also a highlight of my collection and a great representation of the bat :buttrock:

Daywalker
02-20-2006, 11:25 PM
my question is why is the statue so much darker in reality then this promo shot ? - was the paint scheme changed after ? or was it a factory mess up ?

Meta Jon
02-21-2006, 11:24 AM
The clock is broken... no wonder Batman is angry
:laugh:

Tao
02-24-2006, 06:54 PM
Why someone is more concerned about the time on the clock than Batman's cape is longer than a bridal gown train is beyond me.

Tetragrammaton
02-24-2006, 06:57 PM
Batman's cape has always been capable of being any length the artist wanted it to be.

CessnaDriver
02-24-2006, 08:24 PM
Why someone is more concerned about the time on the clock than Batman's cape is longer than a bridal gown train is beyond me.

What? Ya want him to be late for the wedding???

Superhero
02-25-2006, 02:30 AM
If they had made this with a real clock face, but not made it cheaply, it would have been amazing. I am sorry this did not happen as I always thought it should have been a real clock.

I have always thought this and Randy Bowen's Batman are the two finest sculptures of Bats to date.

bane
02-25-2006, 12:19 PM
If they had made this with a real clock face, but not made it cheaply, it would have been amazing. I am sorry this did not happen as I always thought it should have been a real clock.

I have always thought this and Randy Bowen's Batman are the two finest sculptures of Bats to date.

i think it would look cheaper with a real clock , reminds me of the Bad feedback the upcoming superman over Daily Globe statue got , just because the daily Globe letters were actualy moving some described it as a toy .

lance j
03-04-2006, 09:02 PM
WOW did anyone realy buy this statue for the clock???????if so thats pretty f'd up the sculpt,pose and over all look are great who cares what time it is in comic book land i like it.

CessnaDriver
03-04-2006, 09:36 PM
WOW did anyone realy buy this statue for the clock???????if so thats pretty f'd up the sculpt,pose and over all look are great who cares what time it is in comic book land i like it.

Its an awesome statue. I bought it when it first came out. But over the years I noticed the clocks weirdness and wondered if there was a comic based story behind it. A comic reference or some signifigance to the odd time indicated. Perhaps Riddler was up to something with that clock.

Now I know its was just a screw up and not intentional.

Maybe a comic writer and artist can work the weird time indicated into a story and then it will be official.

lance j
03-13-2006, 01:34 AM
dont be so anal dude .

CessnaDriver
03-13-2006, 03:10 AM
dont be so anal dude .

You forgot an apostrophe in "dont" and you left an extra space at the end before the period. :p

msw313
03-14-2006, 09:15 PM
You forgot an apostrophe in "dont" and you left an extra space at the end before the period. :p
...and he didn't capitalize the "d" in don't, and didn't put a comma between "anal" and "dude".

If you must be anal, at least be thorough about it! :D

CessnaDriver
03-15-2006, 01:19 AM
...and he didn't capitalize the "d" in don't, and didn't put a comma between "anal" and "dude".

If you must be anal, at least be thorough about it! :D

Daaaamn, I'm slipping. But Batman statue clocks are my specialty after all.
None shall escape my scrutiny!

msw313
03-15-2006, 12:14 PM
Daaaamn, I'm slipping. But Batman statue clocks are my specialty after all.
None shall escape my scrutiny!
So, are they all that way? I never noticed. Haven't seen mine in years, so I can't immediately verify. It's currently packed away with a bunch of other stuff due to lack of display space. :inquisiti

Endless Wake
03-15-2006, 09:49 PM
I noticed the time error a few years back. Still a very cool piece, a lot of style in this one. Heavy too!

Sniper
03-16-2006, 10:32 AM
I noticed the time error a few years back. Still a very cool piece, a lot of style in this one. Heavy too!
I STILL HAVE MINE, I WAS DEBATING A WHILE BACK IF I SHOULD SELL IT, GLAD I HELD ON TO IT. :buttrock:

The Batfan
03-18-2006, 02:15 AM
grr now I will have to put a real clock in mine to make it super cool and set it to 10:47