PDA

View Full Version : Marvel's Civil War

ashley76
02-20-2006, 12:08 PM
I am definitely anxious for this now...

CIVIL WAR: FRONT LINE ANNOUNCED
http://www.newsarama.com/marvelnew/CivilWar/20marv3_184.jpgIn what’s becoming a regular feature in The New York Times, this morning’s Arts section (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/20/arts/design/20marv.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all&oref=slogin) ran an extensive article on Marvel’s upcoming Civil War, and announce a formerly unannounced companion series to the seven issue miniseries.

According to the report, Civil War will also serve as the launchpoint for Civil War: Front Line, a ten-part bi-weekly miniseries to be published in conjunction with the main miniseries. Paul Jenkins will write Front Line, which will launch in June.

Jenkins told the Times that Front Line will explore the world around Civil War, telling many stories, but mainly working through the point of view of two embedded reporters, Sally Floyd (from Generation M) at the left-leaning The Alternative and Ben Urich at the more right-leaning Daily Bugle, whose publisher, J. Jonah Jameson, Jenkins compared to Rupert Murdoch.

From the Times: </I>Mr. Jenkins will be doing some embedding of his own, using, in part, actual war letters and diaries, including "The Diary of Anne Frank" to tell the parallel story of a frightened young mutant girl in Manhattan, and the World War I poem, "Futility," by Wilfred Owen, to chronicle the last moments of a hero's life.</I>

http://www.newsarama.com/marvelnew/CivilWar/Civil2184.jpgThe report also gave one of the clearest pictures yet of how the Civil War ball gets rolling, explaining: The story opens with a reckless fight between a novice group of heroes (filming a reality television show) and a cadre of villains. The battle becomes quite literally explosive, killing some of the superheroes and many innocent bystanders. That crystallizes a government movement to register all super-powered beings as living weapons of mass destruction. The subsequent Registration Act will divide the heroes into two camps, one led by Captain America, the other by Iron Man. Along the way, Marvel will unveil its version of Guantánamo Bay, enemy combatants, embedded reporters and more. The question at the heart of the series is a fundamental one: "Would you give up your civil liberties to feel safer in the world?"

Civil War writer Mark Millar: "Before the civil war, the Marvel universe was a certain way. After the civil war, the heroes are employed by the government. Some people refuse to do it," he said, "and those guys are performing an illegal act by doing so."

But, Millar said, the miniseries won’t be that heavy-handed when it comes to real-world connections, adding that those who look for it will see the political allegory, while those who aren’t looking will find a big superhero fight.

Wolverine1
02-20-2006, 12:20 PM
Generation M isnt all that good and if that is any indication of how that 10 part mini is written, it prob wont be good. I am hoping for some good things to come from this, I would hate it to fail on the poetry side.

CompEng1
02-20-2006, 12:25 PM
A long history of dealing with huge Marvel let downs have made me cautiously optomistic here. Remember how great the crossover battles where going to be? Remember Hulk/Thing hard knocks?....on and on and...well you get my point. I've seen way too many good ideas amount to the comic blahs....we'll see.

wktf
02-20-2006, 01:05 PM
I'm frankly tired of the "big events" stuff in comics. CompEng1, Hard Knocks was aweful, I agree.

Plus, Jenkins' writing since his Spider-Man days has really declined (I know he's had health issues as well). The use of The Diary of Anne Frank in his work makes me very, very nervous. This should be treated with the most cautious and respectful of ways: the very personal, very intimate writings of a real life young Jewish girl in hiding with her family during WWII from the Nazis. Their terror and her life, robbed of joy and innocence, captured so beautifully in her writing...writing that ends abruptly with their capture and eventual, documented murder.

If Marvel is going to use this to draw parellels to a comic book story they'd better be careful how they treat and make use of the source material. Not saying it can't be respectful and appropriate. Just saying the potential to create something unintentionally tasteless and actually create some harm is there.

jimi311
02-20-2006, 02:06 PM
Millar is a great writer. However, I am not a fan of his political views. I have a growing fear that he will be incorporating his political views heavily into Civil War, which unfortunately for me will ruin the series unless he manages to balance his views vs mine. Much like Frontline looks to do. I read comics to get away from the everyday worries of the world. It is one thing to use past events but commenting on current political situations in the summer "mega-event" of the largest comic company is something I do not look forward to or agree with.

rychehitman
02-20-2006, 02:25 PM
I'm frankly tired of the "big events" stuff in comics. CompEng1, Hard Knocks was aweful, I agree.

Plus, Jenkins' writing since his Spider-Man days has really declined (I know he's had health issues as well). The use of The Diary of Anne Frank in his work makes me very, very nervous. This should be treated with the most cautious and respectful of ways: the very personal, very intimate writings of a real life young Jewish girl in hiding with her family during WWII from the Nazis. Their terror and her life, robbed of joy and innocence, captured so beautifully in her writing...writing that ends abruptly with their capture and eventual, documented murder.

If Marvel is going to use this to draw parellels to a comic book story they'd better be careful how they treat and make use of the source material. Not saying it can't be respectful and appropriate. Just saying the potential to create something unintentionally tasteless and actually create some harm is there.

I couldnt have said it better myself! To use the intimate words of an scared, confused, and innocent child that was eventually taken from her family and killed is something that I sincerely hope they use with the greatest amount of caution! Using this as a parallel could be one of the most wonderfully written tales in marvel history, or could be done in such poor taste that it could really do long lasting damage to their image, and their relationship with their long time fans.

That being said, I am willing to give this a shot! :buttrock:

CompEng1
02-20-2006, 02:33 PM
I'll wait till it's been out awhile and listen to what you all have to say. I just don't trust the Marvel machine anymore. I've bought way too many things that they swore would be huge. Now I want my money back..hehe.

Virsago
02-20-2006, 02:57 PM
Still iffy on Civil War. Might try the first issue of 10*, umm I mean Civil War: Front Line :)

bat_collector
02-20-2006, 03:29 PM
Civil War writer Mark Millar: "Before the civil war, the Marvel universe was a certain way. After the civil war, the heroes are employed by the government. Some people refuse to do it," he said, "and those guys are performing an illegal act by doing so."
[/size][/font]
How original! :rolleyes2

I liked this better the first time I read it when it was called New Frontier. DC has already done this.

In fact, I think I'll re-read New Frontier anyway.

wktf
02-20-2006, 03:32 PM
Bats, I'm a big fan of New Frontier and don't recall any government superhero registration action or the heroes' being employed by the government. Did I miss something?

Car50n
02-20-2006, 03:32 PM
It's Paul Jenkins. i'll give it a shot. Another writer, and i probably would've passed.

Daredevil
02-20-2006, 03:34 PM
I'm staying away from this..

bat_collector
02-20-2006, 03:37 PM
Bats, I'm a big fan of New Frontier and don't recall any government superhero registration action or the heroes' being employed by the government. Did I miss something?
???

Superman being ordered to bring down Batman.

the JSA retiring from duty rather than give up their super-hero identities.

superman and wonderwoman being used to fight communism over the globe.

Maybe I'm just making it more than it seems. But the concept seems awefully familiar.

It still might be good, but I'm not so sure.

wktf
02-20-2006, 04:25 PM
Looks like I need to go back and reread it. I don't recall Superman and Wonder Woman being employed by the government. Superman fought Batman but I don't recall that being at the government's request.

Crom
02-20-2006, 04:39 PM
The concept isn't that new, but what concept is? I think what might make this different is how far Marvel is willing to go with it. If this is something that sticks in the Marvel Universe for several years, it could be pretty cool.

As for DC doming up with this concept first, well perhaps. However, not in New Frontier. Maybe back in the Forties, with JSA. Marvel has probably played with this concept more often and in more detail than DC has over the decades. Gyrich was a constant thorn in the Avengers side for years, always trying to bring them under the Government's thumb. And the X-Men have dealt with the Mutant Registration act forever.

This seems like a natural progresion, the two meeting on a larger scale. It could be very cool, but even the coolest concepts can fail if mishandled. Its all in the execution. So far it looks like this may be on the right track, IMO.

ashley76
02-20-2006, 04:46 PM
I agree with Crom on this one. I for one can't wait to see how this plays out.

wktf
02-20-2006, 05:13 PM
How could I forget Henry Gyrich? You're right, Crom!

Crom
02-20-2006, 05:24 PM
How could I forget Henry Gyrich? You're right, Crom!

When Randy mentioned A Grey Gargoyle mini-bust, I went back and scanned a bunch of pictures from Avengers #190-191. Classic stuff, Avengers Annual #10-era team. My favorite.

Gyrich had the Avengers in front of a commission (essentially on trial) debating the Avengers role as an autonimous group, outside Government authority.. The Grey Gargoyle returned to Earth and was rampaging through Manhattan. Gyrich's whole argument was underminded by the need for the Avengers to confront GG. It was great when The Beast rips off a table leg and hands it to Gyrich and tells him to go fight Grey Gargoyle himself. :laugh:

While Civil War is obviously a metaphor for what is currently going on in the world, it actually does harken back to classic Marvel stories.

wktf
02-20-2006, 06:17 PM
It was great when The Beast rips off a table leg and hands it to Gyrich and tells him to go fight Grey Gargoyle himself. :laugh:
I remember that! What a great scene. Crom, I'm going to go home and dig out those stories.

Crom
02-20-2006, 06:21 PM
To whet your appetite!

Sam Wilson
02-20-2006, 06:29 PM
To whet your appetite!

word. By "jack" falcon ment, "honkey". (laughs manically). ;)

Crom
02-20-2006, 06:32 PM
word. By "jack" falcon ment, "honkey". (laughs manically). ;)

Sam, we need to get you a new bumper sticker "Honkey if your White!"

Sam Wilson
02-20-2006, 06:34 PM
Sam, we need to get you a new bumper sticker "Honkey if your White!"

:laugh:

That might not go over to well in the south though... :confused2

Crom
02-20-2006, 06:36 PM
:laugh:

That might not go over to well in the south though... :confused2

No worries, they can't read. :confused2

Car50n
02-20-2006, 06:37 PM

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

jimi311
02-20-2006, 08:07 PM

We ur takng clasess un ow 2 reed!!!! :eplus2:

Neomotion
02-20-2006, 08:29 PM
I am definitely anxious for this now...

..The story opens with a reckless fight between a novice group of heroes (filming a reality television show) and a cadre of villains...

Since when did Wildguard join the MU????

rychehitman
02-20-2006, 10:06 PM
To whet your appetite!

Crom....thanks for the memories!!!!!

Léon
02-21-2006, 12:00 PM
It could be very cool, but even the coolest concepts can fail if mishandled. Its all in the execution. So far it looks like this may be on the right track, IMO.
This is my statement also. :)