PDA

View Full Version : wktf and Sam Wilson's Reviews 2/22/06

wktf
02-23-2006, 12:47 PM
Wktf’s Reviews

What a week for comics! Nearly any book on my pull list would be one I’d like to review or have in the past, such as Captain America, Black Panther, Supergirl, Astonishing X-Men, Black Widow: The Things They Say About Her, The Thing and Green Lantern. Pulling up the rear are Storm, Sentry, Batman, Wonder Woman and Ultimate Wolverine vs. Hulk all of which I bought mostly for their marquee value.

Astonishing X-Men #13
Marvel Comics
Written by: Joss Whedon
Drawn by: John Cassaday

Man, I just love this comic and, thankfully, it’s back from the hiatus taken by the creative team! It has everything that’s great about both the Marvel Universe (rich legacy, outstanding characters and history) and the Ultimate Universe (a fresh, new look at old heroes unencumbered by weighty continuity, greatly simplified and exciting) combined. It’s the book that got me back into the X-Men after having bailed from the Marvel mutant explosion muddle about 16 years ago. All that said, this particular issue may be disappointing to some as its long on plot development and dialogue and short (way short, as in nonexistent) on action. But it’s still my pick of the week.

The Astonishing ones have been through the wringer over the last 12 issues. They’ve experience a one-alien invasion in the form of ORD who states his people have foreseen that an X-Man will destroy their homeworld. During this conflict the long-thought dead Colossus has been found, very much alive, and Kitty is just reeling from this. Then, of course, the danger room comes to life and nearly kills them all (a weak story line, I admit). And, in House of M, Professor X has completely disappeared. Finally, unbeknownst to any of the X-people, Emma has taken up again with a new Hellfire Club. So, is she a hero or is she a villain? This issue really doesn’t help answer this question but it does push our thinking in one direction over the other. It also reveals her true feelings for Scott.

What we have here feels like one long set-up for the following issues. We see Wolverine taking some humorous moments in combat training with the youngest students. Kitty and Peter steal some alone time and they let their guarded romantic feelings for each other finally come through. Agent Brand and the new SHIELD Director who hates the New Avengers are at each others throats, verbally. Hank and Scott share a tense moment as we learn the Beast is relegated to the lab for reasons we don’t quite know and Scott seems to prefer his company to that of his very sexy squeeze, Emma Frost. And Emma, well, we know now she’s pow-wowing with Sebastian Shaw and his crew and has started messing with her team mates’ heads. First Kitty’s in rather horrible ways and, as for Scott…let’s just say he has a bit of a surprise in store for him when he finally gets up from paying bills and comes to bed.

It’s got to be the sign of a great creative team that not a punch is thrown, not a villain has attacked, no life has been imperiled and, yet, I’m totally re-hooked on this title thanks to this issue. And can I just say that Cassaday’s art is simply awesome?! The orbiting satellite scene alone is breathtaking. Welcome back, guys! We missed you.

Supergirl #5
DC Comics
Written by: Jeff Loeb
Drawn by: Ian Churchill

This issue ends the creative team’s run, a run which has been up and down in quality. Issue #3 was fantastic, the other issues felt mediocre. This one falls in between but still seems to pull at the reader. Loeb’s farewell to the character on the final page feels genuinely sad. We know from the recent trade press that the death of Loeb’s teenage son, Sam, has hurt the timing of this book as well as Superman/Batman and Loeb has been extremely apologetic to the fans for this. Certainly, considering the circumstances, his apology is anything but necessary. I may be reading too much into this but I can’t help but feel Loeb’s personal tragedy in this issue, which focuses in large part on the relationships between parents and children, and feel some of his sadness come through in this story.

In prior issues Lex Luthor battled Kara Zor-El seemingly to the death and exposed her to black kryptonite. As she lost consciousness a new, more sinister Supergirl rose from her limp form. Apparently, Darkseid tipped Luthor off that the black kryptonite would cause a personality split and create an evil Super-partner for him, but things didn’t work out as Luthor planned. Last issue, this malevolent Supergirl went on a tear attacking Luthor and most of the Justice League. The end of that issue found our Supergirl confronting her evil twin whose hands are around the Martian Manhunter’s throat. Now comes the battle royal between them with the DC Trinity (apologies to Matt Wagner) of Superman, Wonder Woman and Batman there to help out.

So, it seems that Loeb, by adding these heavy DC hitters, is shooting for a big finish. Unfortunately, it falls a little flat. While there’s plenty of fighting, another identity crisis confrontation, and Superman/Batman/Wonder Woman acting all haughty and powerful, the problems just get resolved too quickly and without much plausible explanation. There’s reconciliation, of sorts, between Kara and her three “foster parents” as she calls them. But the big speeches at the end just feels too trite and clean. I wish Loeb’s final issue, and the ending of the first major story arc, on the character he created was stronger. But it just isn’t.

Black Panther #13
Marvel Comics
Written by: Reginald Hudlin
Drawn by: Scott Eaton & Klaus Janson

A mission of mercy to the Katrina-ravaged city of New Orleans has put the Black Panther in a world of trouble. Instead of fighting the poachers and industrial criminals he expected T’Challa finds himself up against an army of vampires. But, the Panther’s got help, as he’s been traveling with Luke Cage for the last few issues. This has been a dream come true for Cage who’s looked up to the Panther most of his adult life. In addition to Cage, we’ve encountered a slew of 1970s black Marvel heroes including the Falcon (sure, he’s more current than the 70s and actually originated in the 60s), Brother Voodoo, Blade the Vampire Slayer (looking very much like Wesley Snipes) and Captain Marvel/Photon/Pulsar from the 1980s Roger Stern/John Buscema Avengers. And it’s a real treat seeing this group all together in one issue. We know Cage feels this too when he says, reprimanding Blade, “What’s the matter with you? Finally a bunch of black superheroes get together, saving what is basically a black city, and you got to act like a fool?”

An old vampire husband and wife team, the Montagues, want to make New Orleans a breeding ground to create a constant supply of fresh blood and our team of heroes realize that, despite their best efforts, they have no hope of stopping them. Unless T’Challa can get Monica Rambeau, the former Captain Marvel, to step up and see beyond her self-imposed limits. But lest you think this tale gets preachy, there’s plenty of vampire staking, fist pounding action in this issue, and the interplay among the collected heroes is just lots of fun to read. Counterbalancing this fun, if anything, I don’t really get the sense of urgency from these guys whose banter seems more playful than anything else. Don’t get me wrong, I mean Cage winds up in some serious trouble at one point but even he, the subject of a major pounding and looking for an assist from Brother Voodoo, doesn’t seem too put off by this. And, of course, T’Challa is the epitome of calm and cool in the face of a wildly desperate situation. He’s the man with a battle plan (not to mention the Black Knight’s holy sword) and leads simply because, as Cage tells Blade in his prior admonishment, the Panther is the one with the best ideas. As with Captain America, people just want to follow where the Black Panther leads.

Reggie Hudlin continues to deliver entertaining stories with lots of great, engaging dialogue. And the Panther, under his guiding hand, seems to grow in stature with each issue. I’m also glad that with this issue Reggie gives us an acknowledgement of the Panther’s Avengers roots, something we haven’t seen up ‘til now. On the art, while I sorely miss John Romita, Jr., Scott Eaton’s always been one of my favorite artists and he turns in some really great work here. Unfortunately, while Klaus Janson’s inks just kill on Romita Jr or Frank Miller’s pencils, they just don’t seem to work as well on Eaton’s. Despite that, The Black Panther remains at the top of my pull list, and I’m stoked for the upcoming wedding between T’Challa and Storm.

Sam Wilson’s Reviews

Hmph, kind of a sad week in comics for me this week with the final issues of Catwoman, Wonder Woman and Richard Morgan’s Black Widow series. Yes, I’m sure they will all be back in some way, shape or form, but will they be the same? How different if at all? Will I still like them? Only time will tell I guess. All that aside, this week also has the final issue of Bruce Jones’s Vigilante series, possibly the first thing that guy ever wrote I didn’t want to wipe my butt with. Also big this week is the new arc on Wedon/Cassaday’s Astonishing X-men, more “Two the Hard Way” in Reggie Hudlin’s Black Panther, Storm (the prelude to Storm and Black Panther’s wedding), Wildstorm Comic’s The American Way (written by John Ridley, the writer of one of my favorite movies of all time The Three Kings), and my pick of the week, Ultimate Wolverine vs. Hulk. As always, that being said, on to the reviews…

Ultimate Wolverine Vs. Hulk #2 (of 4)
Marvel Comics
Written by: Damon Lindelof
Drawn by: Leinil Francis Yu

For those of you who haven’t been following The Ultimates two, the Hulk is dead. He was put on trial following his murderous rampage in The Ultimates and sentenced to death, and then the powers that be nuked his a$@. Yeah, well he’s not dead and Nick Fury is kinda PO’d about it, thus we get Ultimate Hulk vs. Wolverine. Anyway, Nick Fury calls Wolverine in for one purpose and one purpose only, find the Hulk and kill him, and keep it freakin’ quiet. Helping him out is Dr. Jennifer Walters, one of the lead scientists on the original super-soldier project that created the Hulk. Betty Banner is present as well, using her PR skills to cover up the Hulk’s resurgence as he makes his way across Europe and into Asia. Anyway, the Hulk has been found in Tibet, and off Wolvie goes to whack him and hopefully have a good time doing it. Yeah, and he gets to spend time with the foxy Dr. Jennifer Walters (whose not the She-Hulk in the ultimate universe, at least not yet, as for what they do with her that remains to be seen).

Well, as you all know from last issue, Wolvie vs. Hulk is some crazy sh$#. I mean that in the most complimentary way. Thus far we have seen a lot, a shadowy mission, foxy women and balls out action, and damn if I aint pleased with the way Ultimate Jennifer Walters is turning out. In issue two we find out where the Hulk (or Bruce Banner, or, whatever…) has been since he supposedly met his demise via a two-megaton bomb in the pages of “Ultimates Two”. Leinil Yu’s pencils are on fire, DAYMN, and for a TV writer Damon Lindelof isn’t half bad (he is one of the co-writers on the ABC show “Lost”) So check this book out, it’s a pleasant diversion from all the muck that is out there right now, and yes, the hype is right, this book is DOPE.

Catwoman #52
DC Comics
Written by: Will Pfeifer
Drawn by: Pete Woods

So the Bat-verse is a big freakin’ mess right now. After the events of the “Gang War” crossover, capes are no longer welcome in Gotham city, and the only two who have stuck around are Batman and Catwoman (aka Selina Kyle). Well, Selina isn’t exactly a cape, she of course got her start out as a villain, a cat burglar if you will, and has crossed swords with Batman many times. Lately though she has become the self-declared “protector of the East End” of Gotham, the rough area where she came up in and roamed the streets as a prostitute before she became the highflying Ninja-trained thief Catwoman. She even became briefly involved with Batman, and he revealed to her that he was Bruce Wayne, but alas it was never meant to be and the relationship ended.

Recently in Catwoman the East End has become one big clusterfu$#. Since the Black Mask is now running the City’s underworld, the East End has kind of become a free-for-all zone. With no real criminal claiming stake there, everyone is duking it out to claim the territory for their own, making Selina’s job as it’s protector all the more difficult. Add to the mix Slam Brady’s son Sam, a Gotham detective sent undercover to try and infiltrate the super powered gangs that are vying for control of Gotham’s East End. Yeah, things are probably going to get much worse before they get better (and have been), but Selina has a plan. Eventually that plan whittles everyone away except for herself and Black Mask. While there is that going on, we can’t forget about “Infinite Crisis”, the latest craze that has taken over the DC Universe. Remember in last year’s Identity Crisis when the Justice League admitted to tampering with Dr. Light’s and Batman’s memories? Well, they weren’t the only ones. Apparently the Justice League also tampered with Catwoman’s brain, and according to Zatanna (this happened in issue #50) that tampering is the reason why Catwoman has given up her cat-burglering ways and become a “good-guy” over the last few years. Selina isn’t two happy with this, and in issue #51 she does some soul searching to figure out exactly who she is. At the same time Black Mask decides he is going to strike out at Selina where it hurts her most, her friends, specifically Slam Brady. Where is this leading? To a final showdown in issue #52 between the Black Mask and Catwoman, and damn, I can’t even say what happens. Yeah, yeah, everyone knows after “Infinite Crisis” Selina Kyle will no longer be Catwoman, but she will still be around and have a particular “condition” that would be way to much of a spoiler if you don’t know it already.

I’ve personally enjoyed this new Catwoman makeover brought upon by Jim Lee (who designed her new costume) Ed Brubaker and Darwyn Cooke (who were the creative team on the OGN Selina’s Big Score, the book that kicked off this new era in Catwoman), and I look forward to what the future “Catwoman” series has in store for us.

Wonder Woman #226
DC Comics
Written by: Greg Rucka
Drawn by: Cliff Richards

Recent events in Wonder Woman (and other “Infinite Crisis” tie in books) have really set the DC Universe on fire. For those of you who haven’t been paying attention, Maxwell Lord, an all around di%$ and the Black King of Checkmate, a super-secret spy organization in the DC Universe gained control of Superman’s brain and was having him do really uncool things like beating Batman like a red-headed step-child and then attacking our girl and all around Amazon hottie Wonder Woman. Of course Wonder Woman was next on the Max Lord controlled Superman’s list, and our girl Dianna fought him off pretty well, and eventually came face to face with Lord herself and put him under the spell of her magic lasso (which compels people to tell the truth). Under the lasso’s influence, Max Lord stated that the only way Superman would ever be free of his mind control was for him (Max) to die. Wonder Woman then promptly snapped his neck, and thus the comic world was turned on it’s a$#.

Aside from the whole killing Max Lord thing, Dianna has had a lot of recent hardship in her life. She has lost and regained her sight, she has found out that a member of her staff was a spy for Checkmate, and the person she respects most in the Justice League, Batman, is not happy with her recent actions (to say the least). In attempt to make amends, Wonder Woman tries to turn herself in an attempt to maintain her respect and credibility in the “patriarchs world”. Her sacrifice is nulled though when the OMAC’s invade Themyscira to kill all the Amazons. Dianna releases herself from captivity to help out her sisters, but soon comes to realize a terrible truth, even if they do repel the OMACs, the door has been opened for other hostile forces to invade her beloved homeland, especially now that they see Themyscira as a power to be reckoned with. Thus Dianna requests the Greek Gods hide Themyscira from “patriarchs world” once again and she will stay behind to clean up the mess (this all happened in Infinite Crisis #3 and Wonder Woman #225).

So what’s next for Wonder Woman? Last issue Diana closed the embassy and sent all her employee’s home, and she also had a meeting with her “Gods”. The current issue, #226 is a recap of the Wonder Woman mythos since the George Perez post “Crisis on Infinite Earth’s” relaunch back in 1985. Yeah, not really much else to say here accept in order to understand what is going on in Wonder Woman currently, you had to have read the OMAC Project, a couple of “Superman” titles and Infinite Crisis issues one through three. Yes, annoying, but so is the nature of these company-wide events, and in this rare case, I have to admit this story is worth reading. So check it out, or wait and hopefully it will be collected in some shape or form (boy, that would be a real clusterfu$# of a tpb).

Our trade reviews follow, and please also be sure to check out bat_collector's reviews at http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=24115

wktf
02-23-2006, 12:50 PM
As much as we can, the two of us like to pick a theme that helps us select which trades to review and, hopefully, helps create some synergy in our writings. This week the only theme is that both these books were suggested to us by fellow comics fans and that we’d never read them before. And away we go!

Wktf’s Review

Blaze of Glory: The Last Ride of the Western Heroes
Marvel Comics
Written by: John Ostrander
Drawn by: Leonardo Manco

This trade, published in 2002, was recommended to me by a fellow comics fan. Frankly, I’d never heard of it before. Since finishing it I picked up the sequel, “Apache Skies.” While different in tone and intensity (it carries Marvel’s MAX branding for foul language and graphic violence), it doesn’t differ by much. I’ll just focus on “Blaze of Glory” in this review but recommend both.

“Blaze of Glory” is subtitled “The Last Ride of the Western Heroes” for a reason. Ostander gives us Marvel’s greatest western heroes but updated for the better (this is NOT like that stupid, gimmicky Rawhide Kid reimagining of a few years back) since their introductions in the 1950s and 1960s. And there are quite a lot of them to keep track of. The first and most prominent is The Rawhide Kid now in a long overcoat, hair below his shoulders and a wide rimmed hat covering his face most of the time. He’s stoic, a man of few words, fast and efficient in his killing. Kid Colt is a sunglass sporting hot head whose temper has caused him to be a target for the law and bounty hunters alike. Two-Gun Kid is most like his original character, calm but affable justice-loving lawyer turned gun man who also wears a mask. The Outlaw Kid is the most disturbed of the group, a young man with quick and deadly aim whose personality, literally, is split. He can’t assume his “Kid” identity without covering his face with a scarf. Red Wolf, a fierce Indian warrior who straddles the Indian and white man world, is accepted by neither yet tries to create justice for both. Finally, there’s the original Ghost Rider, described as a “glowing spectral avenger whom bullets, it was said, could not touch.”

Granted, there’s a bit of a clichéd plot that draws them together but it’s got an interesting enough wrinkle. It’s 1885 and a small town called Wonderment is settled by ex-slaves, poor whites and some Indians. They are a peaceful population but, wouldn’t you know it, there’s a group of bad men who want the town for themselves and, soon, Wonderment falls under siege to night riders who come in wearing KKK-style white hoods and killing everyone they see. It falls to the twitchy Kid Colt to find defenders willing to risk everything for a town of innocent strangers. Yes, if you’ve seen “The Magnificent Seven” you know this story. That said, seeing these great gun slingers from the Marvel Silver Age updated with a modern sensibility, weaving in and out of the plot threads to just enjoy the relationships between these six strangely different men, and taking in the savage and desperate gun fights will get you past the plot contrivances to really enjoy the hell out of this book. And nothing in this story is more wonderful than Manco’s art. His precise lines, heavy inks, and grim shadows make the heroes seem like authentic gun slingers and create the texture of the best of the western movies. Yes, many of these heroes do go out in a blaze of glory, as the title says, and when the shooting reaches a crescendo I’ll be damned if I can’t hear the Bon Jovi song of the same title screaming in my ear! There may not really be anything new here but “Blaze of Glory” is 96 pages worth of comic book trade paperback for only $9.99 you’ll be happy you read. Especially if you were a fan of the early Marvel westerns and have a soft spot in your heart for these great characters.

Sam Wilson’s Review

Uncanny X-men: The New Age
Marvel Comics
Written by: Chris Claremont
Drawn by: Alan Davis and Tom Raney

For those of you who have been reading my reviews for awhile, you know I’m a big fan of the X-men of old, particularly the time starting with the Byrne/Claremont early years to the mid ‘90’s or so (right around the Age of Apocalypse). With the exception of Whedon’s Astonishing X-men I’ve kept my life relatively X-free. Claremont, why they still have him writing X-men I don’t know. I gave his X-treme X-men a shot, and damn, what garbage (the title alone should’ve clued me into that one). I even tried his so-called sequel to “God Loves Man Kills”, one of my most beloved X-men stories of all times, and damn, that was some serious suckatude as well; but, at the urging of a friend I decided to check out what was going on with the X-men men recently, specifically with Psylocke, whom Claremont killed off in X-treme X-men (yeesh that name makes me cringe).

“The New Age” reprints Uncanny X-men #455-461, all the issues leading right up to last years giant “House of M” crossover. Yes, there is a story about the Savage Land, and a nice little two issue story arc at the end penciled by Tom Raney featuring Mojo and the X-babies, but the best thing about this tpb is these issues is they reintroduce Psylocke, aka Betsey Braddock, to the living. Betsey Braddock, for those of you who aren’t familiar or have simply forgotten, is the sister of Brian Braddock, aka Captain Britain. She has psychic powers (telepathy and telekinesis) and was at one point an employee of STRIKE, the British version of SHIELD (seriously). For a moment, Betsey took on the mantle of Captain Britain but got her a$# kicked. During her recovery she was kidnapped by Mojo (yes, that Mojo) and eventually hooked up with the New Mutants, and then the X-men. It took her awhile, but she eventually proved herself worth to the X-men and became a full-fledged member. FYI, all this was pre- “ninja Psylocke”. Yes, Betsey Braddock wasn’t always a foxy Ninja type in a skimpy uniform, she once wore some weird body armor with a hood and was kind of homely looking. That changed when the crime lord Matsu’o Tsurayaba, while she was with the X-men, captured Betsey. Seeking to save the life of his lover, the female assassin known as Kwannon, Matsu’o switched hers and Betsey’s minds. In the process their minds melding, endowing Psylocke with Kwannon’s body, mind and memories, and Betsey Braddock’s mutant powers. Thus ninja babe “Psylocke” was born. Fast forward 10 or so years and Chris Claremont kills her for no apparent good reason, and then brings her back for no apparent good reason in “The New Age” storyline. Meh, at least she’s back. How is she doing post “House of M”? Not sure on that one.

So if you have a burning need to know how Psylocke came back from the dead (I know, a lot of you are like, “what, she died? When?) pick up this trade, otherwise save your money.

bat_collector
02-23-2006, 01:00 PM
Sam, glad you enjoyed the X-men trade. :)

I think great minds thought alike this week.

I loved both Astonishing X-men (which I couldn't help but review) and Ultimate Hulk vs Wolverine.

wktf
02-23-2006, 01:09 PM
b_c, no apology necessary on you Astonishing review (which is how I'm interpreting your remark after or PM exhanges to coordinate reviews). Different reviews of the same title can be interesting though, in this case, we came out in a similar place. Still, we don't seem to agree on the Danger story arc.

Interesting that both you and Sam were kind of luke warm on the trades you recommended to each other.

Toxie? You out there? I put your "Blaze of Glory" recommendation in the trade review. Thinking of doing "Apache Skies" for another week.

Jesse321
02-23-2006, 01:13 PM
Sam ... I couldn't agree with you more on your reviews of both Catwoman and Wonder Woman ... since I've been reading WW for decades, this issue really hit home for me, especially with regard to Diana's relationship with Kal ... I think this was a GREAT recap, which will set up a great new series to come this summer!

Azog
02-23-2006, 02:02 PM
Great reviews guys! Joe where is the "Black Panther is a pimp" quote from this issue! ROLF!

wktf
02-23-2006, 02:23 PM
Great reviews guys! Joe where is the "Black Panther is a pimp" quote from this issue! ROLF!
You're right, Azog! My wife asked me what I was laughing about when I read that line. I had to go back and read it a few times, I enjoyed it so much. Reggie's brand of humor scattered throughout the story and dialogue really make this book a fun and different experience for me.

Babytoxie
02-23-2006, 02:33 PM
Toxie? You out there? I put your "Blaze of Glory" recommendation in the trade review. Thinking of doing "Apache Skies" for another week.

Yep, I'm here, and I loved the review! Please review Apache Skies if you get a chance - I haven't been able to find it.

Jesse321
02-23-2006, 02:37 PM
wktf ... your review of Supergirl (sorry missed it the first time around) is also spot on! I hope that the new team will make the character more interesting, expecially given the possible storyline revealed in this issue ... I'm really looking forward to Ed Benes drawing Kara again too! :thumbs2:

JDH
02-23-2006, 03:08 PM
Good stuff guys - Sam I made the same two mistakes on X-Treme, so never again on Claremont. And as far as I'm concerned, I prefer Psylocke dead.

Kdawg59
02-23-2006, 03:27 PM
Mike, :Sammy" and Joe...

you guys keep getting better with these reviews each week... brilliant work to all three of you!!!!

wktf
02-23-2006, 04:09 PM
I also loved when Brother Voodoo said "You found my car!" when he saw the red Eldorado! Great dialogue!

Thanks also, Kdawg, Jesse and others for the props! :)

bat_collector
02-23-2006, 04:45 PM
b_c, no apology necessary on you Astonishing review (which is how I'm interpreting your remark after or PM exhanges to coordinate reviews). Different reviews of the same title can be interesting though, in this case, we came out in a similar place. Still, we don't seem to agree on the Danger story arc.

Interesting that both you and Sam were kind of luke warm on the trades you recommended to each other.
I love the danger arc, so much I pre-orderd the bust my boy Rocco did for DST!:buttrock:

AS far as the trades, well, I wanted to like alias more than I did. I may continue, but at this rate I think toxie will enjoy the trade more than I will, which is why he gets it next.

Azog
02-23-2006, 04:50 PM
I also loved when Brother Voodoo said "You found my car!" when he saw the red Eldorado! Great dialogue!

Thanks also, Kdawg, Jesse and others for the props! :)
Yeah the whole issue was packed with an underlying sense of humor, that made it a great read...

Bullseye
02-23-2006, 05:15 PM
wktf were you not reviewing Black Widow this week?

wktf
02-23-2006, 05:29 PM
wktf were you not reviewing Black Widow this week?
Apologies, Bulls. I bought it and have reviewed every issue up til now but couldn't fit it in. I don't get to start reading and then writing until 10pm and it takes me til after midnight to finish. Given the press about Loeb lately I decided to swap in Supergirl for Black Widow. Now I wish I hadn't. I'll either read it tonight or on the plane tomorrow to NYC and will post up thoughts after that, considering this issue closes out this most excellent mini series.

Bullseye
02-23-2006, 05:38 PM
Hey no problem wktf. I plan on picking up the trade based on your reviews. What do you think of the artwork?

wktf
02-23-2006, 05:44 PM
Hey no problem wktf. I plan on picking up the trade based on your reviews. What do you think of the artwork?
I like it alot. It's on the rough/unpolished side but, given the darkness and ugliness of the story, I think it works perfectly. Maybe even the artists intentionally were going for this tone and slanted their art in this direction.

Sam Wilson
02-23-2006, 06:06 PM
dawg, word yo. Glad you read 'em.

jesse. again, word on Diana and Catwoman. I'm a little verklempt, but meh. It happens. :(

Joe, bulls, umm, WORD on black widow. The new trade was just announced in this weeks Diamond order form. Yes, the art isn't as sharp as the first, I'll agree to that, but damn if Morgan doesn't breathe new life into the character. I'm personally hoping for an ongoing series.

Bats. umm. :p Heh.

madjazz
02-23-2006, 06:24 PM
Good news on the Black Widow trade. I've liked all the minis, but passed on this one hoping a trade would hit.

Looking forward to reading Black Panther.

Only book I read so far was the penultimate issue of the Hyperion mini. We got a nice twist revealed in that story this issue.