PDA

View Full Version : is this safe?

Juggernaut
02-23-2006, 05:31 PM
Is it safe to wright the credit card CVV2 number in the comment field, when ordering online?

This internet store says it is to insure the store and the customer from credit card fraud.

I asked them if it were possible to take advantages of my credit card if someone had the CVV2 number?

They wrote back to me.

"We are a yahoo store and as a result get the benefits of yahoo's security. It should be completly safe to include your CVV2 code in with the information."

Bullseye
02-23-2006, 05:36 PM
I'd check with the CC company first.

carrillj
02-23-2006, 05:43 PM
It's common practice these days. It's just for added security. Continue the purchase with no worries.

Juggernaut
02-23-2006, 05:54 PM
Thanks for posting your oppinions.

I did not know it was common practise to wright the CVV2 number in the comment field for added security reasons.

I have not done this with any other online store's.

Thanks again for your answers.

carrillj
02-23-2006, 05:59 PM
Thanks for posting your oppinions.

I did not know it was common practise to wright the CVV2 number in the comment field for added security reasons.

I have not done this with any other online store's.

Thanks again for your answers.

Not a problem. The CVV2 is only applicable to certain Credit Card companies; like Mastercard and a couple of others.

carrillj
02-23-2006, 06:05 PM
...and if you happen to get robbed, then at least you'll be protected by your CC company, who are legally obligated to protect you from fraud (some restrictions apply:)).

Juggernaut
02-23-2006, 06:08 PM
Not a problem. The CVV2 is only applicable to certain Credit Card companies; like Mastercard and a couple of others.

I know that the CVV2 number is added for cecurity reasons and I wright the CVV2 number on the secure online order forms from the online store's where I do my shopping.

But to wright the CVV2 number in the comment field, that is not completly secure anyone that does my order can get the CVV2 number from the comment field and maybe use it somehow?

Maybe its just me that a being overly cautious?

fossa
02-23-2006, 06:24 PM
OK. If the comment field has a page URL of httpS, then you should be OK. If it is not a secure URL...who knows? That is my thought.

Juggernaut
02-23-2006, 06:27 PM
Thanks for the info everyone. :thumbs2: