PDA

View Full Version : wktf's and Sam Wilson's Reviews - 3/1/06

wktf
03-02-2006, 12:04 PM
Sam Wilson’s Review’s

A slow week this week, the most notable titles (for me anyway) would include the new Ms. Marvel series, The Punisher MAX (new story arc), and The Outsiders (final issue before “one year later”). It’s also worth noting there are new issues of Y the Last Man, Warren Ellis’s Next Wave and the Ultimates 2. My pick of the week is X-Factor #4 ( go Peter David go!), and that being said, on to the reviews…

X-Factor issue #4
Marvel Comics
Written by: Peter David
Drawn by: Ryan Sook

For those of you who don’t remember, this is the second time Peter David has revamped X-Factor, the first time being over a decade ago in X-Factor issue #71, when the original X-men went back to the X-men and Havok, Polaris and a few other became “X-Factor”. Peter David is at it again, this time with a whole new spin, the new twist on “X-Factor” coming from his recent Maddrox limited series. You know, Jamie Maddrox, everyone’s favorite multiple man who first appeared in the Fantastic Four and spend most of his life hiding out on Muir Island with Moria McTaggart. In David’s recent Maddrox limited series Jamie was living in Mutant Town, the mutant ghetto in New York City, and running a shady detective agency. Under his employ were Rhane Sinclair (Wolfsbane from the New Mutants) and Strong Guy (from Peter David’s first revamp of “X-Factor”). Well, things have changed a little. The events of the “House of M” crossover have reduced the mutant population by 90%, and at the same time Jamie finds himself flush with cash and wanting to expand his business. In addition to Wolfsbane and Strong Guy, Jamie hired Theresa Cassidy (Syrin) and Monet St. Croix (M from Generation X) and has recruited Rusty (recently de-powered, a mutant charge of the old X-factor). Also joining the team is the little girl Layla Miller from the “House of M” crossover. Apparently “she knows things”, and thus we join or heroes in issue four…

So far in the first three issues of X-factor the team has slowly come together and got themselves their first client, Gloria Santiago, who may or may not have murdered her own sister. Gloria was involved with Jack Vaughn, a movie star who also may or may not be involved in Gloria’s sister’s murder, but he is insisting it’s all on Gloria. Singularity Investigations and their VP Damien Tryp, a cat who is pretty much an all around slimeball, are representing Jack Vaughn. During all this rioting breaks out in mutant town; things haven’t been good since the events of “House of M”, mobs of anti-mutant bigots have been causing trouble there forcing X-factor members Rhane Sinclair (Wolfsbane) and Strong Guy to intervene. Then an assassin working for Singularity Investigations tries to assassinate Rictor and is dealt with most nastily by Layla Miller, you know, the chick who knows things. (Deep breath) Okay, now with that out of the way, lets get on to issue five…

Issue five has Monet picking Gloria Santiago’s brain to find out who the real murderer is. Rhane and Strong Guy have a stand off with the NYPD and some anti-mutant bigots and Syrin and Jamie Maddrox are trying to hold it all together. Jamie resists using his power because as we found out earlier, not all of his dupes are on the same page. Monet stays true to form but also opens up a rarely seen side of her, and something real, real bad happens to Syrin at the end. Yeah, buy this. Of all the things to come out of “House of M” this is probably my favorite. Peter David stagnated for awhile after his epic run on “The Incredible Hulk” but all the things that made him great are back. The fresh dialogue, the characterization, the human quality he has always brought to his stories, all present and very vivid in his new X-factor series. Do yourself a favor and check this book out, you won’t be disappointed.

Y the Last Man #43
DC/Vertigo Comics
Written by: Brian K. Vaughn
Drawn by: Goran Sdzuka

For those of you who haven’t been paying attention, Y the Last Man is this century's Preacher for DC/Vertigo. It’s epic, engrossing, suspenseful and has a definite conclusion, but will definitely go for as long as it has to before it gets there. In a nutshell, “Y” is about Yorick brown, the last man on Earth. See, there was this huge plague, and it killed all male creatures on Earth, except for Yorick and his pet monkey, Ampersand. Yorick isn’t your average joe though, his mom was a congresswoman, and after the plague she was the highest member of the United States government left alive so she then became the President. After the plague hit (the men died within days) Yorick carefully made his way to DC to figure things out. His mother promptly sent him on a mission to save mankind (no pressure) with Agent 355, a highly trained operative of the US Government who belongs to an agency called “the Culper Ring”. No idea what they’re about, but they’re mysterious. So Yorick makes his way cross-country with Agent 355 to a Dr. Leslie Mann in San Francisco, the Earth’s foremost expert on human cloning, only all her research gets destroyed. She has back up research in Japan, so off they go in hopes to save humanity. Along the way they have run into by Amazons, crazed right-wingers, the Israeli’s and Pirates (yes, Pirates). No one said saving the world would be easy…

Recently in “Y” Yorick has made it to Australia to search for Beth, his girlfriend and didn’t find her. Instead he got his picture taken by a tabloid journalist only to have agent 355 smack the snot out of her. Then we got the origin of 355 which was, well pretty bad a$#ed quite honestly and in issue #42 we have the origin of Ampersand, Yorick's monkey and thus far the only other male to survive the plague. In issue #43 a new storyline starts and the search for Ampersand resumes with the crew in Japan, 355 and Yorick decide to split up from Dr. Mann and her newfound ladyfriend Rose (whose with the Australian Royal Navy). York and 355 decide to follow Ampersand’s trail, and Dr. Mann and Rose go to look for Dr. Mann’s mother, a leading Geneticist whom Ampersand may or may not be on his way too. 355 starts to grow suspicious of Rose and exchanges some witty dialogue with Yorick, Rose and Dr. Mann seem to be falling in love (or are they?) and well, I can’t really reveal the ending. You’re going to have to buy the book yourself for that one.

So enough already, pick up the book. With a new storyline starting, now is the perfect jumping on point. There are tpb’s collecting all the storylines thus far. It’s a no-brainer. It’s good, well written, well drawn, and damn entertaining.

The American Way #1
DC/Wildstorm Comics
Written by: John Ridley
Drawn by: Georges Jeanty

Even though this book came out last week, I felt it deserved a proper review so I’m gonna write it up this week, so without further ado…

For those of you who care, John Ridley wrote and directed one of my favorite movies ever, “The Three Kings” (Desert Storm movie with Mark Walhburg, George Clooney and Ice Cube). “Three Kings” was kinda like “Kelly’s Heroes” but with more heart, a lot more grey and was easily one of the most overlooked movies of its time. Comic writer Christopher Priest has often cited “Three Kings” as his inspiration for his “Crew” series (the short-lived Marvel book featuring Jim Rhodes, Josiah X, Kasper Cole and a few other lower tier Marvel characters who were much loved, but apparently not loved by enough). Anyway, The American Way is Ridley’s second foray into the comics genre, his first being the “Authority” OGN “Human on the Inside” (which was pretty good, check it out). Like “Three Kings” and his other work, Ridley’s The American Way is vaguely political, historically based and always intelligent.

The American Way opens in 1961 with the story of the ICON, a new concept car and its creator, Wesley Catham. The ICON was going to be the next hot automobile, but that fell flat. An alien attack on the earth at several locations at the same time, including the auto show debuting the ICON, messed that up. Yes, the Civil Defense Corps, the US’s own home grown super-team, repelled the attack, but the debut of the ICON would forever be associated with that day, and soon Wesley Catham found himself without a job, but not for long; which is fine and great but who the heck are the Civil Defense Corps (CDC)?

With members including space aliens and mini-skirt clad women, the CDC is this Earth’s ‘60’s version of the Avengers and the JLA. They are they heroes of the United States, having repelled many attacks, and always prevailed. From natural disasters to Nazi’s, the CDC has been there for the US, and has put them in a place of prominence as far as world power ranking, because it’s rough having to keep up with the Russian’s advances in space technology and nuclear weaponry, unfortunately there is one whole caveat to the CDC I have not mentioned yet. They are a fraud. A fiction. Sure their powers are real, even there “exploits” are real (as much as pro-wrestling is real, or choreographed I should say), but everything they do, manufactured by the American propaganda machine since World War 2.

This brings us back to Wesley Catham, he was lucky enough to have been friends with Robert Kennedy, currently our nation’s Attorney General, now offered the task of keeping up the charade, and given charge of the hype machine that keeps America sleeping safe, and so it begins. Ridley has really outdone himself with this intricate, well plotted out story, and this opening issue serves as a perfect set up. George Jeanty’s art is beautiful as well, and I for one will be sticking with this series for as long as it is around and give it my highest possible recommendation.

Wktf’s Reviews

Not really a huge week for me. Most notable was Ms. Marvel #1, Ultimates 2 #10 (finally) and Infinite Crisis #5. I also picked up Books of Doom #4, The Last Adventures of Superman #649 (for the tie-in to IC), Batman Annual #25 to see if the Jason Todd survival story was as good as Bucky’s and Detective Comics #817 to get a tasted of DC’s 1 Year Later.

Ultimates 2 #10
Marvel Comics
Written by: Mark Millar
Drawn by: Bryan Hitch

Yeah, sure, this book is painfully late. But it’s just so damn good! In fact, even over Infinite Crisis this book is my pick of the week. Quick recap time for those who need it: Nick Fury has had the post Skrull invasion Ultimates, riding high on a wave of positive public opinion, act as the US’ international police force, spreading our brand of justice and democracy throughout the world. Turns out, certain power factions across the globe have taken serious offense to this and orchestrated a multi-pronged retaliatory effort against the United States. First, an international group of Ultimate style super soldiers called the Axis of Evil have been created to include Red Guardian, Crimson Dynamo, and Abomination, among others to launch a preemptive strike against the US. We could pause a moment and reflect on Mark Millar’s opinion of President Bush’s war efforts but I think this paragraph thus far leaves little doubt about this.

In addition, The Ultimates have been picked off like flies: Hawkeye’s family’s been murdered and he’s been captured, Captain America is framed for this crime and captured, Thor is taken down and held prisoner without his hammer and belt of strength, The Hulk’s been executed (see my partner’s review of Ultimate Wolverine vs. Hulk for the scoop on this), Iron Man/Stark is about to be killed by his traitorous fiancée Black Widow with whom Giant Man’s been in communication. America’s heroes are gone and America has just been successfully invaded. This is as desperate a situation as you’ll find in comics.

This issue begins what appears to be the road back and, like all the prior issues, this one’s a beauty. We get a little more insight into what’s driving the invading forces (you almost can’t fault their motivation, Fury’s been a class-A power monger) but more importantly we see the incredible means a select few of our heroes use to win their freedom. Most especially brutal are Tony Stark and Hawkeye who’s shaping up to be every bit as dangerous as the Marvel Universe’s Bullseye. And the little Captain America cliff hanger leaves you jonesin’ for the next issue. As the saying goes, desperate times call for desperate measures and you don’t get much more desperate than The Ultimates right now. Millar’s story is really building up steam and Hitch’s art is just amazing on a grand scale, kind of like a wide screen movie. Since we have only two more issues left I wouldn’t recommend buying this issue but be sure to pick up the trade when it hits. You won’t regret it.

Infinite Crisis #5
DC Comics
Written by: Geoff Johns
Drawn by: Phil Jiminez, Jerry Ordway & Ivan Reis

The George Perez cover of the two Supermen’s slugging it out should be enough to cause anyone to purchase this issue. What a cover! Inside this issue, multiple worlds appear, heroes are created and some just disappear, characters congregate first in a church and then in separate factions to try to take some control over what are happening to the multiverse, and multiple story lines continue to weave more tightly together. Of course, the big draw of this issue is the battle between Superman and Superman 2 the latter of whom believes all should now be well now that his Earth has been recreated, and is in for the most horrible of reality checks. Frankly, Superman 2 has been coming off as a coldly calculating villain in Superman’s own titles. Here, while on the offensive, he becomes a far more sympathetic character which I’m really glad to see.

Like all the prior issues, this one throws everything but the kitchen sink at the reader. There are parallel Supermen and even, surprisingly, parallel Wonder Women. Batman is organizing a strike force against Brother Eye. Alexander Luthor is working hard to recreate the entire mutiverse and we learn Earth 2 Superman is his key to success. It’s all a bit confusing still but really a hell of a ride. Some great touches in this issue include a cool Action #1 cover tribute scene, some baffling contradictory scenes involving the Earth 1 Superboy, the appearance again of Barry Allen and the return of foe I’d thought previously dispatched. Finally, the various united forces that crashed through to Earth 1 in the first issue seem to be united no longer which only adds to the conflict and tension.

As good as this issue is, and it’s a really great read, it’s not without its problems. First, it seems that Jiminez is having trouble staying on schedule as evidenced by the assists this issue by Ordway and Reis. I’m a fan of Ordway’s 1980s Superman and Power of Shazam art but for big events like this I’d like more consistency in the art. I did actually feel this issue lost some steam compared to the prior issues, especially considering the incredibly dynamic Perez cover. I was really excited about what I thought would be a climactic confrontation between the two Supermen but was a little under-whelmed by its brevity and, frankly, found the meeting between the two Wonder Women far more interesting and revealing. I just don’t get how Earth 1 Superboy could be in the situation he was in with Luthor at the beginning and appear with Nightwing toward the end. The final page would have been cooler if it hadn’t been spoiled by DC Direct’s action figure releases. And, finally, am I the only one starting to experience Infinite Crisis burnout? It’s smart of DC not to make this a 12 issue series after the Countdown, OMAC/Sacrifice, Villains United, etc., build up but I’m starting to really want this thing to conclude so all of us can move on with our lives. Still, it’s amazing that this DC Universe-wide event has stayed as truly high quality as it has for so long. Even with all the problems I just listed, Infinite Crisis continues to be the comic book event series that delivers all the goods.

Books of Doom #4 of 6
Marvel Comics
Written by: Ed Brubaker
Drawn by: Pablo Raimondi

Brubaker continues to show that he may be Marvel’s smartest creative move. First he knocks the lights out with Captain America. He also picks up Daredevil and Uncanny X-Men and does an outstanding job on DD (I don’t read any X-book outside of Astonishing) and, with Books of Doom, he shows us how he can take a character who’s history and origin are known painfully well and tell an origin story that remains absolutely true to Lee/Kirby’s origin and yet inject enough into it to make it read like a brand new story.

With this issue, after the pain of persecution, losing his mother to a hellish demon and father to overexposure to the elements, his rejection from the American university, and his separation from the woman he loves (see the FF “Unthinkable” arc to learn what ultimately happens to her) Victor Von Doom has left civilization in search of a mysterious monastery (if it weren’t for the Lee/Kirby origin story of decades ago one might claim this is a Batman Begins rip off) to learn the ways of science and sorcery that will enable him to assume his place as one of the most powerful and feared men on the planet. All the great Doom trappings are here: his hatred and jealousy of Reed Richards, his arrogance and disdain for other, his genius and leadership, and his bitterness and anger at the world. And it is in this issue that Victor Von Doom forges his armor to transform into the creature we love to hate. He is a villain with a score to settle in a way that should guarantee the Latverian thrown.

If anything, this series should cause Marvel to consider an ongoing Doom series, such as Lee and Kirby attempted a few decades ago. Frankly, if Brubaker was at the helm such a title would stand a good chance of succeeding. Seriously, for those who love the villain Doom, you should be reading this mini-series. Though it tells a familiar tale, it’s also a fresh and thrilling one in Brubaker’s and Raimondi’s able hands.

Please be sure to check out bat_collector's good/bad/ugly reviews found here: http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=24522

wktf
03-02-2006, 12:08 PM
Comics of every era tend to be dominated by superstar creators, or at least really stand-out creators. Today, sales are boosted when the masthead’s adorned by names like George Perez, Jim Lee, Michael Turner, John Romita Jr., Brian Bendis, Greg Rucka and Ed Brubaker. And then there are other creators who produce great stuff and are only starting to get fully recognized, even though they may have been around a while and have been building a fan base. Steve Rude might be a good example. But there’s one relatively new creator who consistently churns out outstanding material and has received outstanding critical acclaim but still lives in relative fan obscurity. We’re going to take a look at two of our favorite works and they both happen to be by this one comic book genius.

Sam Wilson’s Review

Catwoman: Selina’s Big Score
DC Comics
Written and Drawn by: Darwyn Cooke

In her long existence, Catwoman has been remade and reinvented several times over. Her first major overhaul was post “Crisis on Infinite Earths” and was done by Frank Miller during “Batman: Year One”; he made Selina a tough street walker turned thief. Keeping with her “from the streets” origin, she was given another “remake” in the Jim Balent drawn Catwoman regular series of the 1990’s, given a host of writers including Chuck Dixon and Devin Grayson (yeesh). During this remake Selina was given some Ninja skills and a closer “friendship” with the Batman. In this series Selina was always a thief at heart, but would occasionally do some “heroic” things. At the end of this series she was believed to be dead, which brings us to the current Catwoman (although not for long, after “Infinite Crisis” she will be changed yet again) with the Jim Lee designed black outfit and her current “hero” status. How did this all happen? How did Selina go from being dead to the protector of Gotham’s notorious East End? It all happened in a little tale called “Selina’s Big Score”, originally published as a hardcover OGN by DC comics.

“Selina’s Big Score” opens with Catwoman on the run and running out of money. Being at the end of her rope, she does the last thing she wants to do and heads back to Gotham City where she has some money stashed away and a safe house where she can crash. Hooking up with one of her old contacts, Swifty, Selina soon learns about a big dollar score that could set her up for a long time, but it’s not the sort of quite finesse type gig she is used too, so she needs to assemble a crew. It involves a money train and Falcone mob money, all courtesy of one of Falcone’s women (well, prostitute more or less). Apparently said girl has a bone to pick and wants to rip him off to escape from her sh$# life, an act Selina can empathize with. So Selina goes back to her past and hooks up with her “thief” mentor, a mysterious man named Stark, who is bad-as$ed through and through, a complete professional who kinda has a bone to pick with Selina due to a past disagreement, but that is all set aside (temporarily) for the greater importance of the current job. Soon enough the crew assembles and off they go. Of course things don’t go as planned, Slam Brady gets mixed up in things, and thus begins a wild “crime noir” ride with Selina and company.

Darwyn Cooke burns up the paper with his art and his nourish storytelling. Damn if it isn’t some of the best Catwoman reading I have every come across in a long, long time, and as a little bonus there is a section of Catwoman Pinups at the end including work by Adam Hughes and Jim Steranko. So yeah, this book is worth every damn penny. I believe the hardcover version is long out of print, so to find that you would have to go to ebay, but the softcover tpb is readily in print and available for $17.95. Check it out, you won’t be disappointed.

Wktf’s Review

DC: The New Frontier volumes 1 & 2
DC Comics
Written & Drawn by: Darwyn Cooke
Colored by: Dave Stewart

It is my great pleasure to review The New Frontier because that means I got to read it again, this time for the third time. The first time was in its 12 monthly installments as it hit the newsstand. The second was as each of the two trade volume collections was published. And now just a few days ago on the plane as I was going to the New York comic book convention. Before The New Frontier I’d experienced Cooke’s work with Batman: Ego and remember thinking highly of it, but this series nearly took my breath away and has made an indelible impression on me probably forever. For The New Frontier is singularly one of the most impressive and ambitious comic book stories I’ve ever read and, believe me, I’ve read a lot of them. It certainly is not Maus mind you but, then, nothing else is. And it may not have rejuvenated an industry like Dark Knight Returns. But this book should join such works as Batman: Year One, Daredevil: Born Again and Kingdom Come as among the greatest modern comic book stories ever told.

In these dark times of Infinite Crisis, in which we saw the dissolving of the JLA, it seems only fitting to review this work which, across roughly 400 pages, tells the story of the entire DC Universe as it moves through the precarious 1950s, into the 1960s, and ultimately culminates in the birth of the Justice League. Cooke bring together characters who’s books never crossed paths during the 50s (characters such as The Losers, The Challengers of the Unknown, The Blackhawks and the heroes of the JSA and JLA) into one epic integrated tapestry, and he brings the events of US history into play as well. We see how the Korean War, southern racial hatred and segregation, and Senator McCarthy’s communist blacklisting efforts irreparably damages the lives of some heroes while informing and shaping the creation of newer ones. And these new heroes, most especially The Martian Manhunter, Green Lantern, The Flash, Adam Strange, and The Atom, are at first disenfranchised and rejected beings that must battle their own personal demons and their harsh treatment from the world around them before coming through in Earth’s time of greatest need to assume the roles as champions. It’s especially important that DC’s most powerful players, such as Captain Marvel, Phantom Stranger, The Spectre and Dr. Fate, realize their role in this story so that mankind may assume control of its own destiny. It also adds to the magic of this story that while DC’s royal trinity of Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman are ever-present and active during this decade spanning story they, in fact, play little to no role in winning the day at the greatest moment of crisis. It’s up to the far more mortal heroes to do that.

The title of Cooke’s epic is taken from a visionary speech by John F. Kennedy which, toward the end, Cooke quotes in full. It speaks of the dawn of a new era and unbridled optimism for a better tomorrow. Regardless of your political affiliation, one can’t help be moved by Kennedy’s words. But Kennedy also speaks of the dark times in our recent past and Cooke pulls no punches in showing the pain and tragic experiences many endured before coming to this new frontier. The eulogy for Hour Man, hunted down and killed by police acting on the McCarthyistic blacklisting that forced the JSA underground, is brutally disturbing. Wonder Woman, herself, is shunted aside by President Eisenhower and “that lout” (using Superman’s words) Vice President Nixon and retreats out of rejection to Paradise Island. But it is the fate of John Wilson, a black war veteran who saw his family murdered by the Ku Klux Klan, which is the most haunting. His transformation into a terrifying avenger and shocking fate is broadcast to the world, including many of our stunned heroes, and shows the reader exactly how far the depths of human depravity and evil can go. In fact, the brilliant tension of Cooke’s work is that you can never tell if this tale is moving to the dark or the light, you can only be rocked by and respond to experience it as his characters do. Cooke’s writing and wonderful illustrations (aided immensely by Stewart’s haunting colors) perfectly and remarkably capture and blend the voices and looks of dozens of uniquely different characters. This is a tale full of terror and tragedy as well as triumph and inspiration that achieves many of the same effects as any piece of great literature: great characters, plenty of conflict, richly detailed and evolving plot and story and, most important, the ability to move its readers across nearly the entire spectrum of emotions. This work is a triumph, a masterpiece that, at the very least, is screaming for DC’s Absolute packaging.

Aarrgghh!!
03-02-2006, 12:38 PM
Great work as usual. Y is always a solid read, you should try Ex Machina too. New Frontier needs an Absolute Edition!! I'll have to try the Big Score, sounds good, the cover originally turned me off to that book and it was shrink wrapped so I couldn't see the art, so I passed. X-Factor is the only Marvel I get, I dropped She-Hulk when I heard it was going to be part of the War crossover. I'm liking the work of Millar, Cooke, David, and Vaugh even though I don't always agree with them politically.

bat_collector
03-02-2006, 12:54 PM
Great review of New Frontier, I agree on every point you made. I need to re-read that now. I also loved how superman/batman/wonder woman playd very little part in the whole affair.

Now that I even know more abuot the DCU I think I'd appreciate it even more.

Kdawg59
03-02-2006, 01:03 PM
Hey Joe... is this how the Ultimates will continue to go? You said there was only 2 issues left. Do you know if they will do an Ultimates "3"???

bat_collector
03-02-2006, 01:12 PM
Hey Joe... is this how the Ultimates will continue to go? You said there was only 2 issues left. Do you know if they will do an Ultimates "3"???
Yes, there will be an ultimates 3. Isn't joe mad during the art?

WKTF:
I enjoyed your review of Crisis, but I gotta say no disappointment for me (except the whole Infinite Crisis toy spoiler :banghead: ).
I picked up all the 1 year later stories and enjoyed them all. But I'm a dc fanboy, so who knows, maybe that's why.

wktf
03-02-2006, 01:48 PM
Dawg, b_c's correct. There will be an Ultimate 3 with Joe Mad art. I'm not sure who's doing the writing. I'm pretty unimpressed with Mad's concept art and new costuming, though. Seems to be pushing the look of the Ultimate U closer to that of the Marvel U.

Mike, I'm enjoying Crisis a hell of a lot, as you know but the elements I listed really did bug me as I was reading the issue. The Earth 1 Superboy thing may be explained in Titans, which I haven't read in a while, for all I know. Can you or anyone else shed some light on this?

Also, Mike, I now know why the superhero registration thing you referenced before with The New Frontier confused me. It was all part of the 50s McCarthy communist blacklisting and so I think of it in that context as opposed to what's going on in Marvel's Civil War. The net, though, seems to be the same.

The New Frontier...my goodness, what a phenomenal work of art! :buttrock:

Babytoxie
03-02-2006, 01:49 PM
The New Frontier was ridiculously, or even outrageously, good. And yes, I loved how so many of the supporting non-superhero characters from the '40s and '50s figured into the story. A modern classic!

Babytoxie
03-02-2006, 01:55 PM
Mike, I'm enjoying Crisis a hell of a lot, as you know but the elements I listed really did bug me as I was reading the issue. The Earth 1 Superboy thing may be explained in Titans, which I haven't read in a while, for all I know. Can you or anyone else shed some light on this?

Are you referring to E-1 Superboy's history in general, his "parentage", or something else? I've been reading up on him quite a bit with Reign of the Supermen, Teen Titans, and Legion: Foundations, so I may be able to help.

Relic Reaper
03-02-2006, 01:57 PM
The New Frontier was ridiculously, or even outrageously, good. And yes, I loved how so many of the supporting non-superhero characters from the '40s and '50s figured into the story. A modern classic!

I just received Volumes I and II of the New Frontier tpb's from my LCS last week. I'm really looking forward to starting them this weekend! :)

Relic Reaper
03-02-2006, 02:04 PM
Dawg, b_c's correct. There will be an Ultimate 3 with Joe Mad art. I'm not sure who's doing the writing. I'm pretty unimpressed with Mad's concept art and new costuming, though. Seems to be pushing the look of the Ultimate U closer to that of the Marvel U.

Thanks again for the awesome reviews, guys! :buttrock: I was talking to my lcs guy last week about Ultimates 3 and he mentioned that Jeph Loeb is going to be writing it. I like Loeb's writing a lot, but my friend has concerns that it won't be able to maintain the gritty feel that The Ultimates has had to date. The one thing I'm not too keen on, is Mad's art on the series. While I enjoy his art on the whole, I also don't like the concept art revealed so far and I think it's going to completely change the feel of The Ultimates (and not necessarily for the better), but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

rychehitman
03-02-2006, 03:01 PM
Sam, WKTF....

Will you guys be reviewing the POST CIVIL WAR AVENGERS line up???

Check out the thread I started, but be warned of the spoilers!!! :laugh:

wktf
03-02-2006, 03:51 PM
Are you referring to E-1 Superboy's history in general, his "parentage", or something else? I've been reading up on him quite a bit with Reign of the Supermen, Teen Titans, and Legion: Foundations, so I may be able to help.
No, not his history in general. I've got all that as I've been following him and reading about him going back to Reign of the Supermen. I'm speaking specifically about the scene early on in Infinite Crisis #5 with Luthor vs. the scene with Nightwing. Given the scene with Luthor, I don't know how he could have met up with Nightwing. But I think there's some info or plot line out there that I just must have missed.

wktf
03-02-2006, 03:53 PM
Sam, WKTF....

Will you guys be reviewing the POST CIVIL WAR AVENGERS line up???

Check out the thread I started, but be warned of the spoilers!!! :laugh:
:laugh: :laugh:

I guess either of us will be able to write about that from first hand experience. But, hell, it looks like the biggest, bad@ss, most winning Avengers line up I've ever seen! :buttrock:

rychehitman
03-02-2006, 04:57 PM
you got that right!

Primal
03-02-2006, 05:11 PM
Cool reviews guys. IC #5 kicked my ass for another issue in a row. Such a satisfying storyline and you really get your money's worth per issue. Sorry to see the last page wasnt as big an impact on you since you'd seen the figure of it already. I didnt know about this figure so the moment REALLY surprised me. Coolness! I guess you dont want it but...I wish IC would go on for more issues than planned! :buttrock:

madjazz
03-02-2006, 05:19 PM
FYI - I talked to Jiminez at the NYC Con last weekend. Vertigo's "Other World" will be returning after Infinite Crisis. For those of us following that great book, it is what we figured, but I was able to get that confirmed.

Jesse321
03-02-2006, 05:50 PM
As good as this issue is, and it’s a really great read, it’s not without its problems. First, it seems that Jiminez is having trouble staying on schedule as evidenced by the assists this issue by Ordway and Reis. I’m a fan of Ordway’s 1980s Superman and Power of Shazam art but for big events like this I’d like more consistency in the art. According to a recent Newsarama interview, Jerry only penciled the Earth 2 sequences. According to the interview this was always going to be the case, as DC wanted a different look for the Earth 2 sequences in the book than the Earth 1 ... this isn't to say that PJ isn't falling behind schedule, but when you look at the detail and the total scope of this project .. I doubt it would be humanly possible for anyone to keep up this pace ... also the interview mentioned some changes that Dan Didio requested to be made just before the issue went to print which delayed it even further.

http://www.newsarama.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=61342.

FYI - I talked to Jiminez at the NYC Con last weekend. Vertigo's "Other World" will be returning after Infinite Crisis. For those of us following that great book, it is what we figured, but I was able to get that confirmed.THANK GOD! I was really enjoying that series.

Sam Wilson
03-02-2006, 09:05 PM
huh, no one read "The American Way?"

aargh, word on that catwoman book, the cover art is definately decieving. Great OGN. And thanks all for the compliments.

marvelboi77
03-02-2006, 10:14 PM
I love Book of Doom, I have the first 3 issues so far. It's one of the best titles out there.

wktf
03-03-2006, 12:55 AM
Jesse, I guess very few people have the speed and tenacity of George Perez who was famous for his rapid pencils on Avengers. He didn't have any trouble keeping up on Crisis on Infinite Earths. But in fairness to Phil Jiminez I guess, per that article you provided, the plan was to have Perez and Ordway fill in on certain segments. Interesting creative approach. It just didn't work for me but I'll give it another read with this perspective in mind.

How many are going to pick up American Way based on Sam's review? If it's still at the lcs next week I will.

JR2
03-03-2006, 06:27 PM
Great reviews, but I'm going to nitpick on X-Factor.

Rictor is the depowered mutant in the group. Rusty is another character that appeared in the original X-Factor, but this isn't him.

Sam Wilson
03-03-2006, 08:19 PM
Great reviews, but I'm going to nitpick on X-Factor.

Rictor is the depowered mutant in the group. Rusty is another character that appeared in the original X-Factor, but this isn't him.

meh. rictor, rusty, to many old mutants to keep track of. Thanks jr, I'll send you a no-prize as soon as I get them in stock... ;)

beav
03-05-2006, 11:54 PM
Biggest book of the week........Batman Annual.......completly sold out and I didn't even get a chance to read it :(

wktf
03-06-2006, 12:39 AM
Biggest book of the week........Batman Annual.......completly sold out and I didn't even get a chance to read it :(
Beav, no loss from my point of view. Though b_c disagrees, check out my post on this page:

http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=24630&page=3

bat_collector
03-06-2006, 01:43 AM
In case people forgot, I did a nice review of the annual here:

http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=24522

and slammed Ms Marvel in the process too. :buttrock:

RichBamf
03-06-2006, 08:00 AM
Regardless of how short the fight was between the supermen, I loved the near-perfect recreation of the Action comics 1 cover.

wktf
03-06-2006, 12:22 PM
In case people forgot, I did a nice review of the annual here:

http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=24522

and slammed Ms Marvel in the process too. :buttrock:
I didn't like Ms Marvel either but preferred it to the Batman Annual. While Ms. Marvel just was not good story telling I just felt cheated by the Batman Annual, especially considering the price.

RichBamf, totally agree on the Action #1 cover scene (as noted in my review)! What a great touch.

bat_collector
03-06-2006, 01:04 PM
I didn't like Ms Marvel either but preferred it to the Batman Annual. While Ms. Marvel just was not good story telling I just felt cheated by the Batman Annual, especially considering the price.
WE'll agree to disagree on this one then.

the only good thing about ms marvel was the variant MIchael Turner cover. :buttrock:

RichBamf
03-06-2006, 02:47 PM
RichBamf, totally agree on the Action #1 cover scene (as noted in my review)! What a great touch.

It was all there, the crushed hood, the light flying off, Superman's pose and cape.The only touch missing was the wheel flying off (although it would have hit the recently deceased Lois in the face, so it's probably for the best!)

It was such a poignant little touch and just shows what class DC have shown with this project IMO

rychehitman
03-06-2006, 02:49 PM

are you serious?!?!? :banghead:

Sam Wilson
03-06-2006, 05:49 PM
WE'll agree to disagree on this one then.

the only good thing about ms marvel was the variant MIchael Turner cover. :buttrock:

I haven't gotten to read either books. I'm almost three weeks behind on some books, and haven't been able to post much . WIth the new job I barely get time to do the reviews. Well, either way I'm sure I'll agree with joe, haven't disagreed with him yet, don't see it happening in the near future... :D

Kdawg59
03-06-2006, 06:10 PM
Sam rules... go sam go:)

Sam Wilson
03-06-2006, 06:18 PM
Sam rules... go sam go:)

I haff beeeg muskles (does patented "double front" DAWG pose) :)