PDA

View Full Version : Which city has the best professional sports teams?

The Watcher
03-30-2006, 03:49 PM
Which city has the best major league teams?

I say Detroit because it has the best NBA team (Pistons) and the best NHL team (Red Wings). Unfortunately, the NFL team (Lions) and the MLB team (Tigers) aren't very good.

cblakey1
03-30-2006, 03:50 PM
Boston, historically. JMO.

devlinboy
03-30-2006, 03:51 PM
when i was growing up i always thought ny. now though, they have been slacking.dallas, detroit, and boston are high on my list currently.

Daredevil
03-30-2006, 03:52 PM
Boston with Red sox and Patriots. Bruins and Celtics suck though.

NYC has the most number of teams

risingstar
03-30-2006, 04:06 PM
New York makes things happen too with the Yankees, Mets, Rangers, Knicks, Jets and Giants (even though they play in NJ)...

There's always somethin' goin' on sportswise in the Big Apple.

carrillj
03-30-2006, 04:20 PM
I don't know about the "best", but Chicago has had some great teams to keep the fans happy. The Bears, Bulls and White Sox have all been champions.

As for current teams, I don't think any cities have it best, because of the stiff competition in sports these days. Teams are better balanced.

Daywalker
03-30-2006, 04:35 PM
NEW YORK IS WHERE ITS AT :buttrock: :buttrock:

bigjohn550
03-30-2006, 04:37 PM
Dallas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zurbaran1
03-30-2006, 04:38 PM
NY, hands down. :buttrock:

The General
03-30-2006, 07:23 PM
NY baby.

Justin
03-31-2006, 10:24 AM
Melbourne, we have 9 AFL teams, 2 basketball teams, one cricket team, one rugby team and one soccer team that compete in our professional national competitions, all this from a city with a population of less than 5 million, you would have to go a long way to find any city that comes close to us! :)

Collection King 13
03-31-2006, 12:14 PM
You guys really have to ask? Everyone knows that its NY! :buttrock:

JadeGiant
03-31-2006, 01:19 PM
Melbourne, we have 9 AFL teams, 2 basketball teams, one cricket team, one rugby team and one soccer team that compete in our professional national competitions, all this from a city with a population of less than 5 million, you would have to go a long way to find any city that comes close to us! :)

but has anyone heard of any of them outside of Melbourne?

I think NY probably is the best place for sports

Collection King 13
03-31-2006, 02:08 PM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Car50n
03-31-2006, 02:35 PM
NY, hands down. Yankees, top of AL east. Mets lookin good for this year, Giants are moving up the food chain, Rangers on top NHL Atlantic Div. Jets in the playoffs 2 of the last 4. Devils are close enough to count. so are the Nets.

JadeGiant
03-31-2006, 04:43 PM
NY, hands down. Yankees, top of AL east. Mets lookin good for this year, Giants are moving up the food chain, Rangers on top NHL Atlantic Div. Jets in the playoffs 2 of the last 4. Devils are close enough to count. so are the Nets.

I really want to catch a game at Yankee Stadium game or the Knicks in the Garden ... need to get to NYC!

ToneyT
03-31-2006, 07:26 PM
Come on now...You all know Philly is the place to be this year!!!!!

The Phillies
The Sixers
The Eagles (well not too sure about them, lol)
The Flyers

Kirk Durfey
03-31-2006, 08:36 PM
San Jose :buttrock:

Hey - the Sabrecats - 'nuff said

Justin
03-31-2006, 08:45 PM

Well just everyone in Australia, A lot of people in Great Brittain love AFL and a great number of people in the USA also really enjoy AFL, geez JG I'm a little disappointed in your attitude that seems to be because it isn't huge in America it doesn't seem to count, If that isn't your attitude then I apologise but that was the way it seemed mate

boondocksaint
03-31-2006, 08:56 PM
NY, hands down. :buttrock:

i agree 100%

JadeGiant
03-31-2006, 09:12 PM
Well just everyone in Australia, A lot of people in Great Brittain love AFL and a great number of people in the USA also really enjoy AFL, geez JG I'm a little disappointed in your attitude that seems to be because it isn't huge in America it doesn't seem to count, If that isn't your attitude then I apologise but that was the way it seemed mate

easy mate, you didn't get my sarcastic jab obviously :laugh:

I don't think most people would choose Melbourne over NYC as the best Sports city to live in ... not a slam on Melbourne, just a reflection on NYC

Justin
03-31-2006, 09:41 PM
easy mate, you didn't get my sarcastic jab obviously :laugh:

I don't think most people would choose Melbourne over NYC as the best Sports city to live in ... not a slam on Melbourne, just a reflection on NYC

Yeah sorry JG, That's what happens when a person posts while they have the sh!ts with their builder, I get what your saying about NYC, I cant wait until the girl and myself are over there in a couple of years and we get to go to The Garden, Watch the Yankee's and stuff like that, I'm so pumped about it. It's just I think Melbourne does extremely well in the professional sports field and I'm just crazy about sports myself, particularly AFL. I cant tell you the amount of times I've been at a game and I've started talking to a person from the USA, Canada, England or somewhere else in Europe and they just fall in love with the game when they watch it live, If you ever get the chance you will know what I'm talking about! :)

JadeGiant
03-31-2006, 10:50 PM
Yeah sorry JG, That's what happens when a person posts while they have the sh!ts with their builder, I get what your saying about NYC, I cant wait until the girl and myself are over there in a couple of years and we get to go to The Garden, Watch the Yankee's and stuff like that, I'm so pumped about it. It's just I think Melbourne does extremely well in the professional sports field and I'm just crazy about sports myself, particularly AFL. I cant tell you the amount of times I've been at a game and I've started talking to a person from the USA, Canada, England or somewhere else in Europe and they just fall in love with the game when they watch it live, If you ever get the chance you will know what I'm talking about! :)

I will look for that chance friend ... who knows, maybe I will visit "down under" some day and if I do I will be looking for some suggestions for the top sporting venues! :buttrock:

TK-421
03-31-2006, 11:38 PM
Columbus Ohio, Go Buckeyes!! :buttrock:

Sure the Browns, the Bengals, and Indians are there, but who really cares about them?

People live and die with Buckeyes football, me included.

I did not mention the Blue Jackets becasue hockey....well sucks.

Justin
04-01-2006, 04:09 AM
I will look for that chance friend ... who knows, maybe I will visit "down under" some day and if I do I will be looking for some suggestions for the top sporting venues! :buttrock:

JG if you ever make it to Melbourne I will show you the 2 world class venues we have down here mate, The MCG (Melbourne Cricket Ground) & Telstra Dome, If it's our winter you will see the sport that I believe is the best in the world, Australian Rules Football and if it's summer you could see a cricket game but either way it would be a great day or evening! :buttrock

Synergy
04-04-2006, 01:50 AM
Melbourne, we have 9 AFL teams, 2 basketball teams, one cricket team, one rugby team and one soccer team that compete in our professional national competitions, all this from a city with a population of less than 5 million, you would have to go a long way to find any city that comes close to us!

:laugh: AFL Hello NSW could say the same thing with their NRL teams :laugh: and how many basket ball teams do they have in the National comp :rolleyes2

I think you forget that AFL is really only played in Melbourne , The largest city in Australia only has 1 team by the way and the other states only have 1 or 2 only as well in the comp :laugh: Which Sydney are the Prems

Synergy
04-04-2006, 01:58 AM

Yeah if its not Big in the US then it doen't count :laugh: Some tend to forget that theres another world outside the US sometimes :rolleyes2 :laugh:

htwhlr
04-07-2006, 12:43 AM
Cleveland? ;)

rychehitman
04-07-2006, 12:49 AM
Columbus Ohio, Go Buckeyes!! :buttrock:

Sure the Browns, the Bengals, and Indians are there, but who really cares about them?

People live and die with Buckeyes football, me included.

I did not mention the Blue Jackets becasue hockey....well sucks.

I have NEVER seen anything like the Ohio football frenzy! It beats Texas hands down! Massillion, Ohio HS football is INSANE! OSU Buckeye fever is INSANE especially during Michigan week!

Browns and Bengals are solid....

The Cavs suck, and always will!

Indians and Reds both have solid fan bases!

Bluejackets do suck, but at least we get good visitng teams! The Cleveland Barons are a decent hockey team!

Ohio is a great sports state! I would rate it in the top 5 easily, along with NY and PA! The New England area is good too!

ftrez
04-07-2006, 01:39 PM
Detroit.

Philadelphia.

Chicago.

kal-el
04-07-2006, 02:20 PM
Pittsburgh (except where hockey,baseball are concerned)

though I'd agree That Chicago & New York have rich history's but Denver is pretty close there as well

imthkman
04-07-2006, 11:26 PM
NY, Boston, and Chicago. The cities are large, established, and the fans are fanatics.

Daredevil
04-07-2006, 11:32 PM
NY because they have the 3-1 Mets!!! (would have been 4-0 if Wagner didn't blow a save) :buttrock:

OneOne78
04-08-2006, 02:19 PM
I know we all have to represent where we come from but if your answer is anything other than NEW YORK, your all delusional!

buchieboy
04-11-2006, 12:05 AM
Detroit is also not bad, they have 2 champion teams in the pistons and the red wings..though baseball and football sucks big time

fossa
04-18-2006, 06:03 PM
L. A. !!!

Daywalker
04-18-2006, 06:50 PM
I know we all have to represent where we come from but if your answer is anything other than NEW YORK, your all delusional!
:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

Justin
04-19-2006, 11:09 AM
AFL Hello NSW could say the same thing with their NRL teams and how many basket ball teams do they have in the National comp

I think you forget that AFL is really only played in Melbourne , The largest city in Australia only has 1 team by the way and the other states only have 1 or 2 only as well in the comp Which Sydney are the Prems

Syn I hate to correct you mate but I'm going to :p

Melbourne is the sporting capital of Australia ( If Not The Sth Hemisphere!)by a mile!

Onto AFL vs. NRL: The main difference with AFL & NRL is that if they get 15-20,000 to most NRL games in NSW, not just Sydney but the whole state they are doing well, where as if that was to happen at any game of AFL in any state in Australia it would be frowned upon and questions would be asked about the terrible turn out from the fans. take Anzac day as an example, this game has been sold out for 2 weeks and there are going to be 90,000 at the MCG on Tuesday to watch Collingwood vs. Essendon, that just does not happen for a game in the NRL. As for AFL only "Really" being played in Melbourne you are flat out wrong there mate, AFL is the number one winter sport in Victoria, South Australia, Western Australia, Tasmania & The Northern Territory so there is no doubt it is the number one winter sport in Australia and yes Sydney did win the Grandfinal last year but to be truthful it was about bloody time, The people running the league had been bending over backwards trying to help Sydney win the title for the last 20 years so it really had to happen sooner or later

Onto Basketball sure you may have an extra couple of teams in your state but the question was which "City" and you guys have the 2 whilst we have the one, Tho I have to add that the one is the reigning champion! ( and they won the title without hand out or extra salary cap money from the league):buttrock:

but anyways Syn it's all good, your just one of those guys that cant see past the border of NSW :laugh:

Justin
04-19-2006, 11:12 AM

IF your talking American sports :p

Daywalker
04-19-2006, 11:23 AM
IF your talking American sports :p
like sports exist outside of america :eplus2:

Primal
04-19-2006, 11:56 AM
IF your talking American sports :pSorry but shooting Bloody Dingos isnt a sport anywhere else but where you're at, bub. :laugh:

Justin
04-19-2006, 07:37 PM

Only the good ones Daywalker! :p

Justin
04-19-2006, 07:39 PM
Sorry but shooting Bloody Dingos isnt a sport anywhere else but where you're at, bub. :laugh:

Primal I've told you mate, that's not a sport, it's a recreational past time. :laugh:

Daywalker
04-19-2006, 10:44 PM
Only the good ones Daywalker! :p
are u talking about that pretend football ? aka futbol ? :confused2

lol im just kidding - go manchester united :buttrock:

Justin
04-19-2006, 11:22 PM
are u talking about that pretend football ? aka futbol ? :confused2

lol im just kidding - go manchester united :buttrock:

:laugh:
no mate I'm defiantly NOT talking about Soccer

I'm talking about Australian Rules Football, It just doesn't get any better than that! The best game in the world! :buttrock:

Synergy
04-20-2006, 04:14 AM
Syn I hate to correct you mate but I'm going to :p

Melbourne is the sporting capital of Australia ( If Not The Sth Hemisphere!)by a mile!

Onto AFL vs. NRL: The main difference with AFL & NRL is that if they get 15-20,000 to most NRL games in NSW, not just Sydney but the whole state they are doing well, where as if that was to happen at any game of AFL in any state in Australia it would be frowned upon and questions would be asked about the terrible turn out from the fans. take Anzac day as an example, this game has been sold out for 2 weeks and there are going to be 90,000 at the MCG on Tuesday to watch Collingwood vs. Essendon, that just does not happen for a game in the NRL. As for AFL only "Really" being played in Melbourne you are flat out wrong there mate, AFL is the number one winter sport in Victoria, South Australia, Western Australia, Tasmania & The Northern Territory so there is no doubt it is the number one winter sport in Australia and yes Sydney did win the Grandfinal last year but to be truthful it was about bloody time, The people running the league had been bending over backwards trying to help Sydney win the title for the last 20 years so it really had to happen sooner or later

Onto Basketball sure you may have an extra couple of teams in your state but the question was which "City" and you guys have the 2 whilst we have the one, Tho I have to add that the one is the reigning champion! ( and they won the title without hand out or extra salary cap money from the league):buttrock:

but anyways Syn it's all good, your just one of those guys that cant see past the border of NSW

Very good Justin......... But remember I'm a Kiwi :laugh: so I can't see past the tasman in truth and rugby :laugh: .......By the way I did mention that AFL was played in other states but mainly played in Melbourne, with Melbourne having the most teams........ Now to the Swans... yes you are right on that account. Now my piont on the best city for sports is based on the number of major sporting events held in each city.

Now your comment on not seeing past the boarder...... well I would love to live in Melbourne and I perfer there than here by far...

Synergy
04-20-2006, 04:19 AM

Americans .........any one would think there on there own planet :laugh:

Synergy
04-20-2006, 04:20 AM
Primal I've told you mate, that's not a sport, it's a recreational past time. :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh:

Justin
04-20-2006, 09:12 AM
Very good Justin......... But remember I'm a Kiwi

enough said Syn :p

Synergy
04-21-2006, 11:30 AM
enough said Syn :p

I'm glad you know how much better NZ is ....Justin :p :)

Sniper
04-21-2006, 03:52 PM
I know we have the best and the team that is worth the most , one billion dollars!!!!

Synergy
04-21-2006, 09:17 PM
whats that team sniper

Justin
04-24-2006, 01:56 AM
I'd say the Yankee's Syn

Justin
04-24-2006, 02:05 AM
I'm glad you know how much better NZ is ....Justin :p :)

:laugh: While I agree NZ is a great place Syn, If it was indeed better than Australia surly you would still be living there? :eplus2:

Synergy
04-26-2006, 03:34 AM
:laugh: While I agree NZ is a great place Syn, If it was indeed better than Australia surly you would still be living there?

For sure its 100 times better than OZ Justin :rolleyes2 , But we're not stupid we know there’s easy money to be made here.... and if it wasn't for us working here the Australian economy will fail and collapses, then where would Australia be :laugh:

Come on Justin your one of the few Aussies thats not a bludger ...but your a minority... :p

Justin
04-26-2006, 06:56 AM
For sure its 100 times better than OZ Justin , But we're not stupid we know there’s easy money to be made here.... and if it wasn't for us working here the Australian economy will fail and collapses, then where would Australia be

Come on Justin your one of the few Aussies thats not a bludger ...but your a minority... :p

:laugh: you crack me up Syn :buttrock:

Synergy
04-27-2006, 01:37 AM
:laugh: you crack me up Syn :buttrock:

:laugh: :thumbs2:

Justin
11-15-2006, 12:31 AM
MELBOURNE has been named the world's top sports events city, ahead of joint second Paris and Sydney, in the first analysis of its kind.

The result is predicted to provide a boost to tourism, bids for events -- including the soccer World Cup -- and international opportunities for Melbourne's events planners and organisers.
The study found Melbourne had an "unparalleled track record reputation" for hosting sport, with international events industry bosses also praising its "versatility,

stadia, city atmosphere and local passion for all sports".

In welcoming the result, Premier Steve Bracks said: "The world is acknowledging what we already know -- that Melbourne is the sport capital of the world.

"This year's Commonwealth Games was just the latest in a long list of world-class sporting events staged in Melbourne -- a list that stretches back to the 1956 Olympics and beyond."

The study to find the best location to hold a sports event was completed by London-based consulting and research firm ArkSports, whose clients include the NFL, BT, Visa and Ladbrokes.

Berlin, in Germany, was fourth, with London fifth. Twenty of the world's top sports cities were selected for the study, based on their history of hosting events.

Factors that were analysed and scored included each city's events list from 2002 to 2010, the public interest in terms of attendances and media coverage, their legacies, the city's quality of life, facilities, transport and accommodation, government support, weather and tourism.

In addition to analysing data, ArkSports took on the opinions of 50 events industry executives, including major sponsors.

As well as being overall winner, with 341.5 points -- 29 points ahead of its nearest rivals -- Melbourne was top for the level of public interest in events, its facilities, its number of major events won and the level of government support.

It finished second in the majority of other categories, including quality of life (behind Vancouver), accommodation (behind New York) and weather/tourism and legacy (behind Sydney).

The only area in which it polled badly was transport.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,20741948-2862,00.html

VaultMan
11-18-2006, 01:34 PM
NY baby.

If the question was "Who has the biggest WHINING sports fans" then the answer would be NY.

Otherwise, its Detroit...Division 1-A college programs that are winners, and sports franchises that have made it to the championship in the last 10 years. Maybe not have won it...but at least they made it. The Lions dont count. :laugh: