PDA

View Full Version : iPod video

Boerboel
04-07-2006, 05:51 AM
Anyone have the newer ones that plays videos? I've had mine about 3 weeks I think and the battery is already dying within a couple hours of use, should last up to 20 hours. Anyone having similar problems? I have heard a lot of the new ones are having lots of problems. Looks like I'll be going back to Best Buy and seeing what they will do about it. This sucks! :thumbsdow

Sam Wilson
04-07-2006, 07:33 AM
i just got the same one confessor has, but I mostly use it at home docked with my ipod hifi thingy, so I couldn't reallly help you...

thecallahan
04-07-2006, 09:44 AM
Yeah, it lasts 20 hours. Unfortunetly you have to look at the fine print. It will last 20 hours if you have the volume at a low setting, no backlight, not on shuffle and also you don't continuously change songs/playlists.

Ish
04-07-2006, 10:54 AM
I recently got the 60G iPod. But I use it mostly for music while working and for pics. I havent tried any podcasts or videos yet.
is a good thing you don't look at the video, you know doing what you do. :laugh: :D

Ish
04-07-2006, 11:38 AM
Good one. :thumbs2:

I suppose it could be an opportunity to check quality insurance (think "wear and tear") on the "product." :laugh:
:laugh: :laugh:

kirthew
04-07-2006, 04:59 PM
I have one... and it last at least 16 hours before it dies, unless I am watching a video and then it drains pretty fast...

Virsago
04-07-2006, 05:16 PM
If you watch a movie or tv shows, it drains the battery faster than just listening to songs.

ftrez
04-07-2006, 05:41 PM
I've got the 60gb and video drains the battery extremely quickly. 2 hours sounds about right. I generally listen to music on the train ride to & from work, which works out to be about 15 hours a week, on a single charge and then recharge on the weekend.

Boerboel
04-08-2006, 02:58 PM
Sorry if I confused you guys. I don't watch videos on it, don't even have any on it.I was just trying to see if people with that model (60 gig video) had any problems. I just use it for music. I only have the backlight on for 2 seconds, sometimes use shuffle, volume about half way up. I charge it every night to a full charge and it still dies after about 10 songs. I'm going back to best buy today. Hope they help me out. Thanks for the replies.

Boerboel
04-10-2006, 03:53 PM
They gave me a new one, no questions asked. :buttrock: Now lets see how long this one lasts.

Zurbaran1
04-10-2006, 03:54 PM
Cool. I'm sure this one will give you better results.

d rod
04-10-2006, 04:01 PM
i actually just got Caro the nano since i felt it holds plenty of songs. video on those, not interested. we have 2 laptops and 3 screens in the car so i see no point in it nowdays. i prefer to have the portable dvd players. not big into watching movies on tiny screens.

nexus
04-10-2006, 04:25 PM
If you use it for video it drains in about 3 hours or so. Music I think lasts 16-20 hours or so.
I have a 60 gig version. The kids each have 30s.

The coolest thing I've found though is a program that lets you convert DVDs to iPod (google DVD to iPod and you'll find it, only costs about $30). For the most part it works great. I've already converted and stored on my "pod" Star Wars I-VI, Blade Runner, X-Men, some DS9 eps, and a few others. I've converted some Justice League eps, Avengers, and Japanese anime flicks for the boy, and Harry Potter I-IV, Barbie,
Bratz, and Disney stuff for the duaghter. Not to mention all the TV shows from the Music Store (I'm more than happy to pay $1.99 per flick, but offering is pretty sparse). Files are about 400- 500 meg per for movies, about 100-150 meg for TV shows. I keep all the video stored on the home storage drives (currently a tera, upgrading to 2 this summer).

There's also an available DVD to PSP program from the same co, which would be great if PSPs had a sizable hard drive (I hear they're working on one for Dec release - unfortunately I've heard it's gonna be less than 5 gig, but maybe they'll come to their senses and go for at least 30).

iPods really need a bigger screen. If they switch their layout to landscape on the same footprint, they could increase the screen size by about 33%.

Boerboel
04-11-2006, 07:25 AM
i actually just got Caro the nano since i felt it holds plenty of songs. video on those, not interested. we have 2 laptops and 3 screens in the car so i see no point in it nowdays. i prefer to have the portable dvd players. not big into watching movies on tiny screens.
The only reason I got that model is because it has the longest battery life available. I don't plan on using it for videos at all, but who knows down the road. Its all about the music for me. The guy at Best Buy said the hard drive was bad on the last one.

Zurbaran1
04-11-2006, 08:42 AM
If you use it for video it drains in about 3 hours or so. Music I think lasts 16-20 hours or so.
I have a 60 gig version. The kids each have 30s.

The coolest thing I've found though is a program that lets you convert DVDs to iPod (google DVD to iPod and you'll find it, only costs about $30). For the most part it works great. I've already converted and stored on my "pod" Star Wars I-VI, Blade Runner, X-Men, some DS9 eps, and a few others. I've converted some Justice League eps, Avengers, and Japanese anime flicks for the boy, and Harry Potter I-IV, Barbie,
Bratz, and Disney stuff for the duaghter. Not to mention all the TV shows from the Music Store (I'm more than happy to pay $1.99 per flick, but offering is pretty sparse). Files are about 400- 500 meg per for movies, about 100-150 meg for TV shows. I keep all the video stored on the home storage drives (currently a tera, upgrading to 2 this summer).

There's also an available DVD to PSP program from the same co, which would be great if PSPs had a sizable hard drive (I hear they're working on one for Dec release - unfortunately I've heard it's gonna be less than 5 gig, but maybe they'll come to their senses and go for at least 30).

iPods really need a bigger screen. If they switch their layout to landscape on the same footprint, they could increase the screen size by about 33%.

I love my iPods even though I don't have the video version. When it comes to video quality on a small screen nothing can touch the PSP. It is simply phenomenal. Yes there is the storage issue. I've got 3 of the 2GB memory stick duo pros and you can easily store one or two movies on each depending on the length of the movie. The prices of the memory sticks have come down considerably so having several isn't that bad. I convert the DVDs with PSP Video 9 and keep them on my PC. If I want to take one on the road I quickly write it to the memory stick and I'm ready to go. I don't need to have lots of movies with me all the time and with 3 sticks worth available to me, that's plenty right now. I've converted all 6 Star Wars movies, all of the extended LOTR films and a bunch of others. The widescreen PSP is just a thing of beauty to watch. It's that good.