PDA

View Full Version : Question about the Xbox 360

htwhlr
04-15-2006, 02:12 PM
Does anybody have a list of what regular Xbox games can be played on the Xbox 360?

I am going to be buying the 360 soon but I have a ton of games I haven't finished yet for the regular Xbox.

Thanks in advance for your help.

htwhlr

carrillj
04-15-2006, 02:16 PM
Good question. I forgot that the 360 could play the older games. Here's a site that lists the games:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/backwardcompatibilitygameslist.htm

htwhlr
04-15-2006, 02:32 PM
Thanks for posting the site! I didn't even think to check out the Xbox official website. You have been a great help!

htwhlr

Doc Sonic
04-15-2006, 04:35 PM
Is it true you need the HD to play the older games?

nexus
04-15-2006, 04:54 PM
I couldn't believe this thing couldn't play the old XB games. MS can't make a backwards compatible system? I'm sure it would have added $ and probalby size to the box, but talk about not supporting your library, while Sony has been doing it for years.

Doc Sonic
04-15-2006, 05:13 PM
The reason the backwards compatible list is limited is due to the different chip set it used in 360 v. the original. They could have built an emulator but I think they would have had to pay royalties for all the non-compatable games.

Sgt Taz
04-16-2006, 06:22 AM
I couldn't believe this thing couldn't play the old XB games. MS can't make a backwards compatible system? I'm sure it would have added $ and probalby size to the box, but talk about not supporting your library, while Sony has been doing it for years.Actualy, it CAN, most of them anyway. As for sony doing it for years, they actualy did it only once, from psx to ps2. It is not even 100% sure the ps3 will be backwards compatible. Either way I'm getting a ps3 and have a 360 :buttrock:

El Diablo
04-16-2006, 08:53 AM
Remember only halo 2 works on the 360 right out of the box. To get the other games to work you need to download the game 'patches' from the MS website burn them to a cd and then load the cd up on your 360 which copies the games 'patches' onto it`s HD. Or you can just transfer the files direct from your pc if you have it connected to your 360. Also not all those games listed run perfect, after all the 360 is just emulating the original xbox (the same as you would run a snes, megadrive etc. emulator on your pc) and so some games do have some issues (glitches, framerate problems) although most of the ones I tried were fine.
And One thing is, it does go to show how powerful a machine the 360 is by the fact it`s even able to run a xbox emulator when even the the most powerful pcs can`t run an original playstation emulator well enough to make the games playable :)