PDA

View Full Version : wktf's and Sam Wilson's Reviews 4/20/06

wktf
04-20-2006, 11:59 AM
Wktf’s Reviews

I was in my happy place anticipating a double-Bru week! Ed Brubaker, who caught my attention with Gotham Central, has absolutely been lighting up the charts with both Captain America and Daredevil. And, as with last month, we get both these great titles this week. Unfortunately, this week’s a little mixed where his titles are concerned for me. The second George Perez Fantastic Four Visionaries and Howard Chaykin’s Challengers of the Unknown: Stolen Moments, Borrowed Time tpbs made my pull list this week. And, finally, my much coveted Bowen Designs Dr. Strange full size statue arrived at my lcs. It just doesn’t get much better than this!

Daredevil #84
Marvel Comics
Written by: Ed Brubaker
Drawn by: Michael Lark

This issue marks the third part of “The Devil in Cell-Block D” story arc. For those of you who hadn’t been keeping up during Bendis and Maleev’s unbelievable labor of love, Matt’s secret has been outted to the press and, despite all his protestations and the aid of friends such as Power Man and Iron Fist and former lovers like Black Widow and Electra, the FBI nailed Matt and he currently is in jail. Brubaker, having kicked some major league butt for the last year or so over in Captain America, picked up the Daredevil reins two issues ago and did what even Bendis didn’t in unraveling Matt’s life. During Foggy’s visit to Matt at Ryker’s Island the Kingpin, it seems, arranged for his murder. Foggy’s dead and, in last issue, buried. In that issue we saw the unraveling of Matt Murdock begin as he overruns the infirmary with beaten inmates, most notably The Owl, in his attempt to discover Foggy’s killer. All controls Matt has put in place to govern his crime fighting activities are now gone. All bets are off. This is a new, ruthless and frighteningly brutal Matt Murdock.

With this issue Matt turns his attention from The Owl to Hammerhead, moving from one gang leader to another. At the same time, Daredevil’s single most deadly foe arrives in Rykers trussed up in Hannibal Lecter type restraints, sending quiet panic throughout the prison. The combination of Murdock’s confrontation with Hammerhead and Ben Urich and Dakota’s search for the Daredevil imposter point back to the one man who’s best known for pulling everyone’s strings in New York. And, as Murdock’s “Rampage at Rykers” makes the headlines, we find one more of Marvel’s most famous vigilantes circling Murdock’s wagon as well and about to willfully place himself in the middle of the blood bath that is now Rykers.

Brubacker is taking a veritable encyclopedia of A and B level characters and integrating them into a tightly wound plot spinning into the center of Matt’s madness. Feeling responsible for Foggy’s death, Matt will spare no means to learn who planned and pulled off this killing. And together, Brubaker and Lark are making this one of the must-read series of this year. As I mentioned last month, Brubaker may have out-Captain America’d himself with Daredevil. If you’re not reading Daredevil you’re missing the finest stuff any comics company has to offer.

Captain America #17
Marvel Comics
Written by: Ed Brubaker
Drawn by: Mike Perkins

This issue ends the two part “Collision Courses” arc. As you can imagine, with only two parts, it’s not much of an arc. Captain America and Sharon Carter have trailed Crossbones and Sin, the Red Skull’s evil daughter, as they’ve left a trail of carnage and blood through the Midwest, to a small Iowa town called Pilsburg. But Cap is also searching for Bucky, The Winter Soldier, who apparently battled a robotic spider creature that wrecked a building in the center of Pilsurg. By the end of last issue though, after the romance between Cap and Sharon reignited, they found themselves seemingly in an AIM trap only to discover, much to their astonishment, they’d been sought out by AIM to help them against Crossbones and Sin who’ve been killing AIM members left and right.

Sadly, for me, this issue fell a little flat. I suppose, after 16 fantastic issues, Brubaker’s entitled to one that doesn’t quite measure up. This may not all be the fault of the writer, though. Perkins who, up ‘til now, has been doing his best Epting knock-off art work may be letting more of his own style come through finally and, frankly, it’s just a little sloppy. Nearly all the faces seem just a little off and the action kind of stiff. But what this issue does nicely is put Cap and Sharon, Crossbones and Sin, Lukin and The Red Skull, possibly the underground Nick Fury, and The Winter Soldier on an eventual crash course with each other. Hence, I assume, the title. And this issue ties in nicely with part of the World War II story we got in the Captain America Anniversary Special wherein we learned of Bucky’s love for a German resistance fighter.

Still and all, this was a good all around battle issue as Cap and Sharon fight their way through the Modoc Squad, programmed former humans tasked with safeguarding AIM, to try to get to our two villains. And, despite this issue’s seeming to drag a bit, I still subscribe to the hype on this book. Wizard called this title the Best Series of 2005 and with good reason. This is the best Captain America has been in over a decade. Maybe longer.

Sgt. Rock: The Prophecy #4 of 6
DC Comics
Written by: Joe Kubert
Drawn by: Joe Kubert

This mini series won’t be for everyone but it sure is for me. And this issue is my pick of the week. To recap, the Serge and Easy Company are in enemy territory in WWII-torn Europe, having trudged and battled their way through Italy and North America, to end up in Lithuania in the middle of constant fighting between the Germans and the Russians. Their mission is to acquire a “valuable object” that’s supposed to help win the war and bring it back to the United States. This “valuable object” turns out to be a young Jewish boy named David who’s prophesied the war’s end. Along the way, Easy Company has encountered the horrors the Nazi’s have perpetrated off the battlefield. Hangings. Rape. Mass killings. But as horrible as these sights have been, Rock and his Company are in store for even more. For David’s prophecy is not of the future, but of the present. He has seen the Nazi’s crimes against the Jews, the Christians, Poles, Gypsies, the sick and lame and is determined to tell the world of these Nazi actions and further plans in hopes of speeding the war’s end through the Allies’ righteous retaliation. He calls all this “the coming holocaust.”

Rock’s crew doesn’t believe David’s words. But, unfortunately, by stumbling onto the now familiar barracks of a concentration camp, still occupied by its twisted caretakers, Easy Company learned from first hand experience last issue that David speaks the truth. And, sadly, part of this education comes at the expense of a puppy for whom the oversized Bull had been caring during the prior two issues. With this issue, and with some digging into a mass grave, the magnitude of the Holocaust’s horrors comes front and center to the horrified Easy Company as they begin to realize that this war involves more than the conquest of people or land. It involves murder on a massive scale through the most ghastly means imaginable. With this issue, also, young David who had been a necessary burden to Easy becomes a strange pacifistic leader, of sorts, to this crew of violent men. And there is plenty of gun fire that takes place as Easy takes on yet one more burden for their trip, a newly born baby.

I’ve written plenty about Joe Kubert in these reviews over the last several months. I hate to repeat myself. I’ll just say again that of all the great older masters (such as Eisner and Kirby), Joe Kubert’s line work and story telling may be the most sublime. He delivers plenty of tension, great story and action but always seeks to send a message with everything he creates. Sgt. Rock and his crew are men of action, violent men who kill at the drop of a hat when needed. And they do so here, as well. But, there’s no glory in this killing. And, with this issue Kubert gives us, in mercifully sketchy detail, the grisly outcome of the Nazi atrocities in the form of twisted, emaciated corpses. Kubert sees no glory in war, only the pain and suffering. Killing is a necessity, every bit as much a reality as the evil men commit against their fellow men. And with this series Kubert takes us away from the more traditional comics fare by providing us entertainment that must also create awareness or our world’s terrible history during these moments of comic book reading distraction.

wktf
04-20-2006, 12:01 PM
A decent week this week with the biggest thing being the debut of an all new regular “Wolverine” series “Origin”, featuring art by Brit Steve Dillon and writing by up and coming superstar writer Daniel Way (“Planet Hulk” and “Punisher vs. Bullseye”). From Marvel we also have fan favorites The New Avengers, Iron Man (new creative team), Daredevil (Ed Bruebaker is really tearing it up) and the cult favorite Nextwave. Oh yeah, and there are a few okay DC books as well, include foxy chica a$# kicking books Manhunter and Birds of Prey. My pick of the week is the new Squadron Supreme series (love that Gary Frank art), and that being said, on to the reviews…

Nextwave #4
Marvel Comics
Written by: Warren Ellis
Drawn by: Stuart Immonen

In place of your regularly scheduled review of Nextwave issue #4, I’m going to do something a little unorthodox. I’m going to ask a British dude, my pal Jess Harrold (for more on Jess, check out http://www.yearone.spiderspawn.com/ and http://www.statueforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45), his opinion on the book. So without further ado…

Sam Wilson: So, Jess, umm, what do you think of Nextwave?

Jess: NextWave should be everything I H.A.T.E! A ragtag bunch of Marvel rejects, thrown together seemingly at random. Classic costumes abandoned in favour of
ten-a-penny modern uniforms no kid could ever draw without reference. An
artist in Immonen who began life at Marvel as a unique talent on titles like
Thor, but whose style has blended into the mainstream over the years. One of
those over-hyped 'visionary' Vertigo writers everyone bangs on about, but
whose books tend to leave me cold. Not only that, but the one writer of that
elite band that was responsible for 'Counter X'. And two more words to
inspire loathing: Boom Boom. (Okay, it's one word twice...) In short, when I saw the previews, I knew for sure that NextWave was not a title to float my boat.

But no. If Sam - whose recommendation piqued my curiosity - will forgive me, NextWave hasn't got my boat floating. It has it motherf$%*ing exploding!
Combined with his Ultimate work, Ellis' exhilarating writing on NextWave has convinced me that he has far more to offer me than his fellow 'too cool for school' writers like Moore and Morrison. Immonen's art, which has seemed out of place in conventional Marvel titles since he abandoned the heavy-inked realism style I enjoyed so much, is perfect for this book; almost as if Ellis has freed the potential superstar within. His innovative layouts and incredible ideas - just check out how the increasingly desperate Dirk Anger (Nick Fury squared) attempts suicide - gel superbly with Ellis' writing to succeed where many books have failed, and actually transcend the medium. Over the last few years, possibly due to the influx of talent into comics from Hollywood, terms from the silver and small screens have found their way into the comics lexicon: Now we have 'seasons', 'director's cuts', and supposedly 'widescreen' storytelling from folks like Bryan Hitch. But on NextWave, Ellis and Immonen don't just bandy about empty words - they deliver. They use ingenious cover design that would grace posters and DVD boxes; they bombard you with taglines; they break up the action with 'ad break' panels that remind you you are 'watching' NextWave. The comic even has its own theme song, which you can't help but hear when you open the latest issue.

The book has reinvigorated neglected characters like Monica 'When I lead the Avengers...' Rambeau, and former Machine Man Aaron Stack, who somewhere along the line has developed a disdain for 'fleshy ones'. Just watch Immonen go crazy when Aaron takes down Fin Fang Foom, a classic character who has been dusted down and used a lot this last year; but nowhere better than here. Let's just say if you ever found yourself daydreaming about what Fin Fang Foom keeps in his underwear, the answers you're looking for ain't gonna be found in the OHOTMU...

In a time when Marvel are putting out a large number of superb titles, and when there are more supposed 'humour' books than ever I can remember, NextWave is one of the few that is actually as funny as it should be. It has rocketed to the top of the reading list both for myself and my (much more choosy) wife. But then, how could a title fail to capture British hearts when a character (the Absolutely Fabulous Elsa Bloodstone) issues the football hooligan threat of choice: 'You're going home in the back of an ambulance.' Read NextWave with a ****y ticker, and that warning could well apply to you.

…and thanks Jess, it’s always good to have a British perspective on all things, um, British or whatever. Word.

So yeah, Nextwave is pretty cool (download their catchy theme song here: http://www.marvel.com/publishing/stories/showstory.htm?id=65). In issue four a renegade cop gets infected by something the Brand corporation made and turns into a giant mecha, and the team has to take it down. Captain $%#@ gets naked, Elsa stands around and looks hot and Monica acts uptight some more. Gotta love it. Pick this book up already. A 300 lb brother and a cheeky British dude think it’s pretty nifty, and so should you.

Squardron Supreme #2
Marvel Knights
Written by: J. Michael Straczynski
Drawn by: Gary Frank

Squadron Supreme is the Marvel Knights relaunch of JMS’s Marvel MAX series Supreme Power. Supreme Power is a modernization of Mark Gruewald’s Squadron Supreme, a story about an alternate Earth’s superhero’s and how they got tired of regular folk fu$#ing up the planet, so they decided to take it over and become it’s rulers. Kinda like JLA’s Earth 2 Justice League, another old story that was recently revisited in the JLU animated series. Yes, superheroes going nutty is a popular topic, such the thing being centerpiece to the Batman “Gang War” storyline, the current OMAC storyline and let’s not forget the classic Alan Moore story The Watchmen. Marvel comics has kept it’s mainstream heroes under lock and key, for now. Anyway, enter J. Michael Stracynski, he had his own foray into the “superhero’s going crazy and taking over” genre with his Rising Stars series, which was chronically late and to my knowledge is still not really finished. Meh, it’s all for the best, because I believe JMS is getting the chance to tell the story he really wanted to tell with Marvel MAX’s Supreme Power (and now in Squardron Supreme under the Marvel Knights banner).

To catch everyone up to speed thus far, Supreme Power centers on Mark Milton. He’s an alien who crashed to Earth a long time ago and was found by the United States government. It was soon found he had really nifty super powers and he was quite possibly the most powerful being on the planet, so they decided to make him their’s mind body and soul. He was given fake parents and raised to be a patriot, no one ever told him who he really was or where he came from. Everyone around him was a government employee, even his classmates and his friends. He was kept in a fake reality bubble so he would grow up to be loyal to the Unites States. Along with Mark Milton, who came to be a hero known as Hyperion, a few other “special” types showed up. The costumed vigilante Nighthawk, an extreme personality who makes Batman seem calm and rational. The Blur, a corporate superhero, Dr. Spectrum aka army corporal Joe Ledger and his strange fish lady friend and finally Zarda. Zarda is like Wonder Woman after a few drinks and with no moral compass. Then Hyperion, Mark, finds out it was all a lie and he is from space. Yeah, the sh$# hits the fan.

After much destruction and lashing out we get to issue #18. The government realizes there is no physical way they can try and harm Mark (they already tried nuking him, it didn’t work). So they go after him the old fashioned way, they attack his person. The government leaks to the media that Mark is from space and has now gone rogue, the president makes a speech for all people with special powers to sign up for their team or be hunted like Mark is. Of course the other heroes grow uneasy and Mark is backed into a corner. The first issue of Squadron Supreme picks up where issue #18 of Supreme Power left off. The military has forced Mark Milton back into service and are running their propoganda machine overtime to make him look not so “alien”, but what they don’t realize is that Mark has learned a lot and can play the same games they do. As it turns out, there are a lot of superhumans running around Earth, and the government has assembled them into two teams, one public and one covert (for some more insight into these new teams, check out the Supreme Power: Hyperion limited series, out now). Issue two has the team together for their first mission together, taking out a super powered African dictator. The team idiosyncrasies from the first issue are built upon in issue two, Zarda (Power Princess) is kinda crazy, Dr. Spectrum is way to much in love with the fishy chick, Blur is the moral compass of the team, and so on and so on. Much like Mark Gruewald’s 1985 Squadron series, this updated team is given the same kind of real-world characterization that made the original series so loved.

Not only is the story the best thing JMS has done in comics since his Dr. Strange series, we have Gary Frank on the art, and damn if his art isn’t, well, sexy. Dead freakin’ sexy. So pick this book up, pick up some of the trades of Supreme Power for the backstory, there is an oversized HC collecting the first 12 issues, and a few other sc tpb’s collecting the same issues plus some more. Damn if this isn’t a fine book and you are doing yourself a disservice If you aren’t reading it.

Birds of Prey # 93
Written by: Gail Simone
Drawn by: Paulo Siqueira and Robin Riggs
Cover by: Rachel and Terry Dodson

When Birds of Prey first hit the racks it was a series of quarterly specials featuring Oracle aka the original Batgirl, information guru to the DC Universe. She decided to strike out on her own as a crime stopper and employed Black Canary, who at the time wasn’t doing a whole lot, as her # one agent and go to girl. Every once in awhile Oracle would call on other agents, usually female, including Huntress, Power Girl and even Catwoman, but her #one and only real full-time “agent” was good ol’ Dinah Lance. My how things have changed over the years. Now Birds of Prey is a regular ongoing series and Dinah Lance is back amongst the A-listers in the DC Universe, and the Birds have broken free of their Gotham confines (since the “Gang War” fiasco) and have relocated to Metropolis, and Oracle has also expanded their full time membership to include Huntress and Zinda Blake, aka Lady Blackhawk. Having taken on organized crime, murderous cults, Deathstroke and the rest of the bad guy union formed during “Infinite Crisis”, the ladies have made quite a name for themselves in the DCU. So where are the “Birds” one year later, aka post “Infinite Crisis”?

Last issue Oracle was communicating with Dr. Crime, the Dr. to the DCU’s criminal community and he is tired of the life and wants to defect over to the good side, the only problem is he’s in neck deep with the Secret Society of Super-Villians and well, blood in, blood out I guess. He’s been badly wounded, but it’s aiight. Oracle has the Birds on the case, and shortly to the rescue is the Huntress and umm, ahhh, Jade Canary. Yes, I said that right. Jade Canary aka Lady Shiva, the most deadly martial artist in the DCU, and sometime martial arts mentor to Black Canary, aka Dinah Lance. Oh yeah, Lady Blackhawk also shows up and some weird yet foxy stealth chic, and I think Dinah Lance (in a side story) is being sold into some type of martial arts slavery in the Far East. In issue 93 Canary continues her training in the East, which we learn is some type of exchange deal with Lady Shiva, and well, I aint going to say who Canary’s teacher is, but it’s kinda cool. Anyway, we get some major action from Lady Blackhawk as she, Shiva and the foxy stealth chick go pick up Dr. Crimes daughter from school and fend her off from a horde full of HIVE shock troopers.

Yeah. Miniskirts and shotguns. “Birds of Prey” is awesome. They are back, and are the #one girl book on my reading list. Word.

...and for b_c's weekly good/bad/ugly reviews, just click here:

http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=27122

wktf
04-20-2006, 12:04 PM
A bit of a mixed bag for you today….

Wktf’s Review

To the Heart of the Storm
DC Comics
Written by: Will Eisner
Drawn by: Will Eisner

It seems that most of the non-traditional (meaning, non-Marvel/DC superhero) trades I’ve reviewed over the last year or so have been written by Jews about the Jewish experience. But it also is the case that Jews have been an extremely influential on the industry throughout the history of comics, from Jerry Seigel and Joe Shuster, to Will Eisner and Joe Kubert, to Stan Lee and Jack Kirby. And let’s not forget the only Pulitzer Prize winning comic book artist, Art Speigelman. Anyway, if this is becoming too much of a trend you’ll have to please let me know. But, this review falls into that same category. Last year I’d reviewed what’s been accepted as the very first graphic novel, A Contract With God, by Will Eisner who’s most famous for his The Spirit creation. Well, last year our forum’s very own mwf6171 who was kind enough to meet me at a Kansas City comic convention and, having recently read my review of that seminal work, called me over to a box of trade paper backs to point out three other Eisner trades. It’s taken me about a year to get to the first of these three but here I am at last with To the Heart of the Storm.

If with The Spirit Eisner revolutionized narrative sequential art, as he is so credited, and with A Contract With God he actually invented the graphic novel then, with To The Heart of the Storm, he likely invented the autobiographical graphic novel. In his 1990 introduction to this haunting and disturbing tale, Eisner actually describes it as a “thinly disguised autobiography.” If this is the case then, reading his story, we can begin to get a sense of the pain it may take to inspire and drive the creative process. Our tale starts out on a WWII army troop train transporting young draftees and volunteers to boot camp to begin their training before going off to war, to the heart of the storm. But what exactly is the “storm”? Is it the war, itself? As young Willie stares out the window, the glass becomes a window into Willie’s past and all the events that led him to this point. We experience the memories of his childhood and teen years as well as both his mother’s and his father’s separate humiliating immigrant experiences, and his family’s struggles to maintain their lower middle-class New York lives in the 1930s and 1940s. Reading these separate stories can be a little confusing as Eisner seems to jump back and forth in time and, admittedly, it’s a little tough to get your bearings. But I believe this is an intentional creative conceit that augments the dark mood of Willie’s story and drive home its central theme: the evil of prejudice. Of course, since this is Eisner’s life, the intolerances he and his family experience manifests itself in anti-Semitism but there’s enough hate to go around for other minority groups here as well. At the book’s end, we leave Willie as he marches off to boot camp, having finally arrived after the 200 plus pages required to tell his story, tramping off with a handful of other draftees to a camp over which a massive storm cloud is hanging and into which a jagged lightning bolt is descending. But, in telling you this, I don’t feel I’m giving away the end of the story as its thrust is in the telling, itself, and the ending will not take place until long after the final page.

Anyone who’s read The Spirit is familiar with the energy and dynamism Eisner puts into his craft. Sure, his art is cartoony and rough at times, but there’s a reason the likes of he, Kubert, Kirby and others’ work still captivates us more than 60 years after they first began. They’re geniuses whose words and drawings pull at our hearts while scratching at our intellects at the same time. As in all his work, with To The Heart of the Storm, Eisner is able to draw us into the period of his piece, breathe life into his characters, and make us care about the pain of intolerance while entertaining us with his own brand of self-deprecating humor all at the same time. The more I read his work the more I’m glad to finally getting around to building up my Eisner collection and this book must be a key addition to anyone’s Eisner or overall graphic novel library.

Sam Wilson's Review

Captain Marvel: First Contact
Marvel Comics
Written by: Peter David
Drawn by: Chriscross

Hmph. As I was doing a little research for this review I discovered that Genis-vell, aka Legacy, aka Captain Marvel, aka Photon is dead. He died recently in the Thunderbolts because if he lived, at some point in the future he would destroy the Earth. Huh. Damn. Kinda puts a damper on my whole review. I didn’t know the guy was freakin’ dead. Jeez louise. Never read the Thunderbolts. I tried, and the book just kinda sucked to me. Oh well, anyway…

In the late ‘90’s after Peter David left the “Incredible Hulk” and the next project he saddled up on for Marvel was Captain Marvel. No, not the cat who died from cancer “Mahr-vell”, but his son, “Genis-vell”. Genis was born from his mother Elysius and DNA from Mahr-vell she used to impregnate herself. He was artificially aged 13 years right out of the womb to help protect his mother from Mahr-vell’s old enemies. He first appeared in a Silver Surfer annual and went by the name “Legacy”, but eventually adopted the name Captain Marvel (as seen in the Avengers tale “Avengers Forever”). Yes, there was another Avenger, Monica Rambeau, who went by the name Captain Marvel but they settled things. Or something. Anyway, the powers that be decided it would be cool to capitalize on Genis-vell’s post-“Avengers Forever” popularity and give him his own series and have it helmed by Peter David, one of my personal favorite writers in comics, and so it began, an outside of the mainstream comic utilizing most of the old “Incredible Hulk” supporting cast (Marlo and Rick), adding in Moondragon and Drax for good measure, and a healthy dose of levity which gave fans something different from the regular going ons at Marvel and built up a small yet loyal fanbase for this fledging, almost doomed from the start book (it lasted less than five years, which I guess is a pretty good run, but whatever).

As I was saying before, Peter David’s “Captain Marvel” series was all about Genis-vell, the son of the original Captain Marvel. Like his father, he has been “bonded” with Rick Jones, professional Marvel Hero sidekick, via the Nega-bands he wears. When Marvel clangs the bands together, he and Rick switch place, one in the “microverse” and the other in our regular universe. David sets the book in LA where Marlo, Ricks wife (their relationship is on the rocks) also lives and tries to jumpstart her acting career and manages a comic shop to pay the bills. Also joining the cast is Moondragon, aka Heather Douglas, the bald chick with telepathic powers who hails from Titan and wishes to help Genis-vell gain better control over his mental powers. Captain Marvel is totally tongue in cheek and David has a lot of fun with the characters (at one point Rick convinces Marv that it’s cool if he goes by “Genny”, and a nifty battlecry would be, “OWHATAGOOSEIAM”). Heh. If Chriscross is a name unfamiliar to you, most recently he’s been on the new “Firestorm” book from DC and was on the “Outsiders” briefly after Tom Raney left. He first got his start on the now dead (yet still awesome) Milestone Media title “Blood Syndicate”.

“First Contact” collects the first six issues of the David/Chrisscross series and while there is no specific story, you see Marlo have fun at work, witty banter between Marv and Rick, and Moondragon being uptight and Drax being, well, Drax. So yeah, this was a great book and I miss it, so if you can track down a copy of this now out of print tpb cool, or just check out some of the back issues. I guarantee you’ll be entertained…

mwf6171
04-20-2006, 12:30 PM
Joe,

Glad I stumbled across them for you!!

RichBamf
04-20-2006, 12:36 PM
I pick up Daredevil in the Hardcovers when they're released. I really, really enjoyed Bendis' run (surprisingly) and felt sorry for the guy who had to take over the reigns.

I think Bendis has brought Daredevil up from being a character everyone felt indiffence to, and made him quite possibly the strongest character in the Marvel U.

My biggest fears were that a) Marvel would cut their creative high and put a nothing writer in, hoping that DD would maintain it's readership, as fans would remember the glory days. (sort of like what Marvel have done with X-men for the last 10 years +)
or b) the writer would just instantly solve the DD identity issue, which would crap all over Bendis' work.

BUT Marvel have really impressed me with the way they've handled Brubaker. They've let him get his fingers into as many creative pies as possible XM: Deadly Gen, Books of Doom, Cap, and now DD.

Is it as good as Bendis' run? I guess I'll have to wait a few months, but what you've told me is very encouraging, thanks again to both you guys for fantastic reviews.

P.S. Have either of you guys ever reviewed Alan Moore's Watchmen?
It's just I couldn't believe how many guys on the forum hadn't read it, and I was hoping you could (hopefully) recommend it to everyone with a review.

wktf
04-20-2006, 01:01 PM
RB, amidst all the Bendis-bashing on this board I've consistently maintained that his work on Daredevil (and Alias) has been some of the best work in comics. I agree with you that, after Frank Miller's breakthrough DD run, the character has languished in obscurity until Bendis and Maleev took over. Some will say that Kevin Smith and Joe Q's work was brilliant...I don't agree. Bendis was the second coming of Frank Miller and rocketed the character in terms of both sales and character development.

RB, I hope you're reading Brubaker and Lark's DD issues. From your post I can't tell if you are or are just checking on the progress through the reviews. Obviously, and as a huge fan of the former creative team, I'm giving it my highest recommendation. Someone asked me on this forum if there was only one comic book out of all the ones I buy to which I was forced to limit myself, what would it be? My answer, even with this new creative team? Daredevil.

jimi311
04-20-2006, 01:17 PM
Spot on with the Daredevil review. Bru is doing a spectacular job following up to Bendis. Nice of you to not spoil the ending for the people who haven't read it yet. As I have said before Bendis' run is as good if not better than Miller's DD run. Bendis consistently buts out good work and even though many disagree with me about that if you have read the DD run you know its gold.

DDura711
04-20-2006, 01:39 PM
Damn DD & Cap sound killer. Can't wait to read them.

mitchanator
04-20-2006, 01:46 PM
i didn't read any of the bendis stuff and i started the brubaker arc and so far i really enjoy it can't wait to read more
I really like what there doin with squadron supreme since they relauch it can't wait to see where this goes

Aarrgghh!!
04-20-2006, 02:07 PM
Surprise.....I respectfully disagree with Bendizzz DD work and to compare it to Miller's run is criminal IMHO. Miller's DD had soo much more going for it in style, and story than Bendis. Miller's (at the time) pacing of his tales had momentem and the pages read like movie storyboards. Miller could write a fight scene with precision choreography and set a scene with excellent lighting. Bendis in comparision was a totally different animal, his pacing was much slower, action scenes (from the issues I read up to Issue 50) were flat, and DD hardly appeared. I understand Bendis has a strong following and his writing/scripting isn't for me, but I think as time passes his run will not be remembered as fondly as Miller's.
I am currrently reading the first story arc from Brubaker, it seems to be better paced than I remember Bendis and the script is much more palatable.
Sam, right on with Squaderon Supreme JMS plays much better with toys of his own rather than others (Spider-man and F4). I hope this book can keep a monthly pace. Couldn't stand the first issue of Nextwave, loved Ellis on Authority and Planetary is a modern classic. Is anybody reading Ex Machina?

wktf
04-20-2006, 02:16 PM
Miller is the pinacle of DD work, and I agree with everything you say regarding his style, pacing, fight scenes, lighting, etc. I may have overstated my opinion on Bendis but I'm pretty sure, rereading it, I didn't say (and certainly didn't mean) his run was the equivalent of Miller's. I do not think it's at the same level as Miller. That said, I think it's the best DD since Miller and has reinvigorated the title since its post-Miller doldrums. If we disagree on that then that's cool. Different strokes for different folks.

bat_collector
04-20-2006, 02:20 PM
I have to go on record that even though I don't like bendis, I have NEVEr said anythign against his Daredevil work (caus I never read it).

I didn't like alias however.

Thanks!

Aarrgghh!!
04-20-2006, 02:29 PM
Miller is the pinacle of DD work, and I agree with everything you say regarding his style, pacing, fight scenes, lighting, etc. I may have overstated my opinion on Bendis but I'm pretty sure, rereading it, I didn't say (and certainly didn't mean) his run was the equivalent of Millers. I do not think it's at the same level as Miller. That said, I think it's the best DD since Miller and has reinvigorated the title since its post-Miller doldrums. If we disagree on that then that's cool. Different strokes for different folks.
Absolutely agree, Bendis did bring a long term following to DD. (I think the begining of the turn around was with Smith's run, but would have had no momentum had it not been for Bendis.) I think someone else mentioned his run being better than Miller's. I also need to say that I'd much rather read Bendis now than Miller now, Miller's current stuff is dead to me. Miller stopped writing comics around 1993.

wktf
04-20-2006, 02:43 PM
I have to go on record that even though I don't like bendis, I have NEVEr said anythign against his Daredevil work (caus I never read it).
Well, what else can I say, b_c, other than "read it." Maybe borrow the first tpb or something or order it used and cheap off Amazon/eBay to give it a spin. Then you can render an opinion.

Aarrgghh!!, I see we're on the same page after all. :thumbs2:

RichBamf
04-20-2006, 04:06 PM
RB, I hope you're reading Brubaker and Lark's DD issues. From your post I can't tell if you are or are just checking on the progress through the reviews.

No, not at the moment.

I started collecting the Hardcover collections of Daredevil/Punisher/Marvel Knights Spidey so I'm months behind in all of those :(

I always check in to find out about my future reads, not for spoilers, just to find out how the quality of the stories is commencing :)

Sam Wilson
04-20-2006, 06:15 PM
Miller is the pinacle of DD work, and I agree with everything you say regarding his style, pacing, fight scenes, lighting, etc. I may have overstated my opinion on Bendis but I'm pretty sure, rereading it, I didn't say (and certainly didn't mean) his run was the equivalent of Miller's. I do not think it's at the same level as Miller. That said, I think it's the best DD since Miller and has reinvigorated the title since its post-Miller doldrums. If we disagree on that then that's cool. Different strokes for different folks.

I'm down with that opinion as well wk (big suprize). I will admit I dug ann nocetti's and JR jr's run too, but it would go Miller, bendis, and then a tie w/nocetti and Brubaker...

Sam Wilson
04-20-2006, 06:15 PM
no love for our special "ask a british dude" review? :inquisiti

wktf
04-20-2006, 06:19 PM
I'm down with that opinion as well wk (big suprize). I will admit I dug ann nocetti's and JR jr's run too, but it would go Miller, bendis, and then a tie w/nocetti and Brubaker...
I loved Ann Nocetti's and JR JR's run, as well. Love Blackheart!!

wktf
04-20-2006, 06:20 PM
no love for our special "ask a british dude" review? :inquisiti
Plus any love for Sgt. Rock?

marvelboi77
04-20-2006, 06:20 PM
I ordered my stuff on line for the month. Ult Spiderman #93 is now 2.99? Is this a double issue or has this book fallen victim to high prices? Comics have gone up so much over the years, but I really think $1.50 is the right price for a comic book.

Sam Wilson
04-20-2006, 06:26 PM
I ordered my stuff on line for the month. Ult Spiderman #93 is now 2.99? Is this a double issue or has this book fallen victim to high prices? Comics have gone up so much over the years, but I really think $1.50 is the right price for a comic book.

mb, I sincerely doubt its a double issue. USM held out at it's lower price for a long time, I guess they just jacked it up cause they could. :(

wktf
04-20-2006, 06:30 PM
...I really think $1.50 is the right price for a comic book.
Man, I remember being surprised when they went to $0.20... :confused2

DDura711
04-20-2006, 06:56 PM
Man, I remember being surprised when they went to $0.20... :confused2
:laugh: Your Old

SirConor
04-20-2006, 08:32 PM
Consider my interest piqued re: Daredevil. I will have to pick it up next time I go to the shop!

Neomotion
04-20-2006, 08:36 PM
Still trying to score the DD Hc's on the bay. Well, maybe if i'm in ATL i'll find them somewhere cheap.

wktf
04-20-2006, 09:27 PM
:laugh: Your Old
Ghah...this week I feel REALLY old! :laugh:

But, yeah, I first started reading comics when they were only $0.12, if you can believe that.

:confused2

Sam Wilson
04-20-2006, 09:27 PM
Still trying to score the DD Hc's on the bay. Well, maybe if i'm in ATL i'll find them somewhere cheap.

yeah, neo, PM me. I can take you to a few places here in ATL...

Teague
04-20-2006, 09:47 PM
Ghah...this week I feel REALLY old! :laugh:

But, yeah, I first started reading comics when they were only $0.12, if you can believe that.

:confused2

Wow! I can't say that, though I did still have a lot of older 12 cent comics (from uncles and the like) when I was young. But when I started buying, they were a quarter. To me, they should always be a quarter, because buying four comics for a dollar and some pennies? Sweet!

I do remember looking at all my old Superman comics, the ones that were 12 cents and a dime and such, and thinking "those kids had it made, being able to buy eight or ten books for a dollar!" Of course, I was too young to realize that back then, those kids probably weren't getting the buck a week allowance I was. :)

RichBamf
04-21-2006, 07:25 AM
No answer to my Watchmen for future tpb review question? :)

mwf6171
04-21-2006, 09:44 AM

RichBamf, I loved the Watchmen!!!

Perhaps this could be YOUR first review???? "Reviews from RichBamf!!"

Or, "Oa only knows if this book is good!!" :D

RichBamf
04-21-2006, 10:06 AM
RichBamf, I loved the Watchmen!!!

Perhaps this could be YOUR first review???? "Reviews from RichBamf!!"

Or, "Oa only knows if this book is good!!" :D

I'd love to, maybe I should think about it. :peoples:

I was thinking of starting a weekly or fortnightly column based on retro and classic stories.

Would anyone be interested? and more importantly would I be stepping on anyone's toes?

I know that occasionally WKTF, Sam and B_C review older classic stories, and I'd hate to take something away from the reviews I religiously tune in for. :)

bat_collector
04-21-2006, 10:09 AM

I was thinking of starting a weekly or fortnightly column based on retro and classic stories.

Would anyone be interested? and more importantly would I be stepping on anyone's toes?

I know that occasionally WKTF, Sam and B_C review older classic stories, and I'd hate to take something away from the reviews I religiously tune in for. :)
Don't worry about my toes, I love reading others perspective about comics and think this is a great idea! :buttrock:

Do it!

wktf
04-21-2006, 10:39 AM

I like to go back to the older classics, since that's most of what I own, actually, and try to make it a point to pull one out for a review about once a month if possible. But let me check in with Sam as I'm pretty sure he may have reviewed Watchmen already. If so, we can republish it. If not we can review it for sure.

Since you asked, though, love of comics is love of comics. Please don't worry about stepping on toes here. :)

b_c, have you read Sgt. Rock yet?

MiamiLoco
04-21-2006, 10:44 AM
Well, what else can I say, b_c, other than "read it." Maybe borrow the first tpb or something or order it used and cheap off Amazon/eBay to give it a spin. Then you can render an opinion.
It's no use Joe, the only way for him to like a Bendis comic is to hide his name. From what I can tell, if B_C reads something knowning that Bendis wrote it, he already hates it. BTW great reviews guys!!

JDH
04-21-2006, 01:42 PM
Sam, your British dude sucks. Get a better one.

NextWave 4, on the other hand, is great.:)

wktf
04-21-2006, 02:06 PM
It's no use Joe, the only way for him to like a Bendis comic is to hide his name. From what I can tell, if B_C reads something knowning that Bendis wrote it, he already hates it. BTW great reviews guys!!
Loco, I fear you may well be right. I guess what should we expect from someone who bought Spider-Man Unlimited for the Finch pictures and didn't read the story, right? :laugh:

Thanks for the props on the reviews, too.

OK, I've done a shout out for Sgt. Rock with no responses yet. Any other Will Eisner fans who've read To the Heart of the Storm that care to chime in on the trade review?

mwf6171
04-21-2006, 02:08 PM
I meant to pick up the Sgt Rock mini, but missed out. Was planning on waiting for the tpb. I will have to check out some of Eisner's work.

Fdisk
04-21-2006, 04:23 PM
Where's the Justice #5 love?

Aarrgghh!!
04-21-2006, 04:48 PM
Where's the Justice #5 love?
Have to say it was a cool read. Modern day Super Friends! It is good to see Ross do interiors than simply covers/pin-ups etc. More "hot" artists need to jump back in the trenches and get a nice run under their belts. Ross clearly doesn't need to do interiors, but hopefully he will continue to do so.

bat_collector
04-21-2006, 04:59 PM
I love Sgt rock.

A week ago I did the thread on best mini and was surprised the lack of votes for this one.

While Marvel Zombies is a lot of fun, Batman & Monster Men a great recreation of a classic story, Deadly Genesis an important event, and Son of M great on character development, this series is so much better than all of them.

This series take a real good at WWII. Is it for everyone? Well, if you don't like intelligent comics with great story, characterization, art, and a good sense of history, than no this isn't for you.

Highly recommended. My favorite thinga bout this story is that it gives you a fresh look at the holocaust. highly recommended

Sam Wilson
04-21-2006, 06:38 PM

rbamf, reviwed watchmen last year, here is the link:

http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=12232&highlight=watchmen+reviews

wktf
04-21-2006, 09:02 PM
I love Sgt rock.

A week ago I did the thread on best mini and was surprised the lack of votes for this one.

While Marvel Zombies is a lot of fun, Batman & Monster Men a great recreation of a classic story, Deadly Genesis an important event, and Son of M great on character development, this series is so much better than all of them.

This series take a real good at WWII. Is it for everyone? Well, if you don't like intelligent comics with great story, characterization, art, and a good sense of history, than no this isn't for you.

Highly recommended. My favorite thinga bout this story is that it gives you a fresh look at the holocaust. highly recommended
Mike, thanks for your comments. More people should be reading this series.

wktf
04-21-2006, 10:31 PM

Kind of a coincidence that my trade review on this link is another Eisner graphic novel...

Sam, your "Watchmen" review is great, and one of my favorites of those we've done. :buttrock:

Sam Wilson
04-21-2006, 10:43 PM
Kind of a coincidence that my trade review on this link is another Eisner graphic novel...

Sam, your "Watchmen" review great, and one of my favorites of those we've done. :buttrock:

word. Thanks bro.

RichBamf
04-23-2006, 11:29 AM

Thanks Sam,

I thought that you guys might have done a review of it somewhere in the SF back catalogue.

Cool as always Sam :)

madjazz
04-23-2006, 01:19 PM
DD & Squadron Supreme both make it to the top of the ROAR pile when they come out. I can't agree with you more.

wktf
04-23-2006, 11:58 PM
Glad you think so too, Madjazz!

Fdisk
04-24-2006, 01:54 PM
Have to say it was a cool read. Modern day Super Friends! It is good to see Ross do interiors than simply covers/pin-ups etc. More "hot" artists need to jump back in the trenches and get a nice run under their belts. Ross clearly doesn't need to do interiors, but hopefully he will continue to do so.

Agreed. I think both Jim Lee and Ed Benes are incredible artists (Very similar to each other too) but they suffer from bad coloring jobs. The boloring in the Marvel titles is amazing, Studio F does a great job. The Spectacular Spider-Man books for example looked like they had been colored by hand and airbrush; the DC books look like someone just learned how to use the pen and gradient tools in photoshop and went to town.

Except for the current Superman/Batman run; McGuiness' art really comes to life with the colors! Damn good job; too bad the storyline sucks...

wktf
04-24-2006, 03:22 PM
Another strong Daredevil endorsement from http://www.newsarama.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1903419#post1903419. Anyone else out there need to be sold on this book?

Daredevil #84 (Marvel; by Richard): I never thought I would have Daredevil at the top of my pull list. It hasn’t happened since Frank Miller was writing the title. Brubaker has managed to bring a more street level quality to the book that is ably assisted by the incredible artwork of Michael Lark. There is a gritty feel to this book, but it’s the unfolding story that is really drawing me in. When I got to the last page and realized what the Punisher was doing, I said to no one in particular, “Kick Ass!” Imagine Daredevil, Kingpin, Bullseye and Punisher all in a confined room with nothing but time to kill. This should get interesting.

Sam Wilson
04-24-2006, 06:05 PM
Sam, your British dude sucks. Get a better one.

NextWave 4, on the other hand, is great.:)

Hmm. Is can you put in a call to steve dillon? he's a pretty cool british dude... ;)