PDA

View Full Version : your older silver age books condition?

furie
04-21-2006, 02:58 AM
What condition are the majority of your silver and golden age books? And would you buy "good" books (2.0) at a fair price?

I was looking through some of my older silver age books and about 30% seemed to be in good. The rest very good and up. Not that I have so many.

Scottsdale Saint
04-21-2006, 03:20 AM
98% of my silver age books are in fine+ condition, with the majority in VF-NM. i've always been a stickler as far as condition goes and i''d rather wait and find a nicer copy at the right price. as far as reading purposes go, that's what TPB's are for.

Teague
04-21-2006, 12:48 PM
I don't know the exact percentage, but I'd say that maybe 10% are G (2.0). But a much bigger percentage are in the mid-range (4.0-6.0) though--maybe 60% or more. Personally, I like owning the books themselves, so yes, definitely, for a fair price, I'll buy a 2.0 copy that I don't yet have. Then I fill in with better copies as they turn up.

I really admire the collectors who can hold out for great copies of older comics, but I'd rather have a complete run with some not-so-great issues than to have a pristine but incomplete set, personally.

For example, I just bought a G (2.0) copy of Strange Tales #135, (origin/first appearance of Nick Fury as Agent of SHIELD) for $10, which is a little less than the new Overstreet Price, pretty good, and has a wonderful cover that I'll enjoy a lot even though the book itself isn't in the greatest of shape. But that's me. All in all, if it makes you happy, it's a good buy.

DDura711
04-21-2006, 01:27 PM
What condition are the majority of your silver and golden age books? And would you buy "good" books (2.0) at a fair price?

I was looking through some of my older silver age books and about 30% seemed to be in good. The rest very good and up. Not that I have so many.
Hell I think I have 1's in my collection let alone 2's. I know my Spider-Man #1 has got to be MAYBE a 1.5 but it was only $183.50 and I'm glad to say I have it. Almost bought an Amazing Fantasy #15 without a cover but got outbid last second for only $51. So for me yeah if it's an early book the way I see it is I have it and I will till I find a good deal on a better. Then I can sell off that one knowing I'll always make back that money.

Jack8022
04-21-2006, 03:54 PM
I'd say that most of my silver-age stuff is in Fine/VF condition with some VGs mixed in. I have a handful of books lower thanwhat I'd say is a VG as placeholders/fillers until I someday get better copies. I generally don't buy lower-grade books because I find that their condition will just irk me and I'll end up unhappy with them as purchases. I don't think of it in terms of investments but I just want a nice looking copy of a book.

JadeGiant
04-22-2006, 12:23 AM
most of the stuff I bought when I was heavily into collecting is in F+ to VF

I have been backfilling some runs and will take a VG and VG+ for a pricey issue. If you watch eBay a lot you can find books selling at VG prices that are actually in nicer condition. I fould a few sellers a while back that were selling everything undergraded and I bought a lot of stuff from them.

I would buy a G book if it was very key or scarce