PDA

View Full Version : Batman B&W Kelley Jones

VaultMan
04-23-2006, 11:35 PM
My god...The upcoming B&W statue by Kelley Jones is SICK! Do you hear me? SICK! Why are they so little? Could you imagine how hot this statue would be if it were 15" tall? Holy *$*%*!

Virsago
04-23-2006, 11:40 PM
My god...The upcoming B&W statue by Kelley Jones is SICK! Do you hear me? SICK! Why are they so little? Could you imagine how hot this statue would be if it were 15" tall? Holy *$*%*!
It would great! But then DC would sell them for $250. :redface:

It is a great sculpt though.

Zurbaran1
04-23-2006, 11:44 PM
You got that right! It is an amazing piece and it was done by Ray Villafane. And now that Ray is working for DC you can probably count on seeing some full size Batmans coming from his talented hands at some point.

VaultMan
04-23-2006, 11:47 PM
Wow, Ray with DC huh? Do you think this means no more work with Bowen? At least for the foreseeable?

Zurbaran1
04-23-2006, 11:48 PM
Wow, Ray with DC huh? Do you think this means no more work with Bowen? At least for the foreseeable?

I'm pretty sure it does. DC is going to keep him quite busy

lord odin
04-23-2006, 11:49 PM
I got one on pre-order this will be another great piece.

galactus
04-23-2006, 11:50 PM
How about a pic someone?????

lord odin
04-23-2006, 11:53 PM
Here you go drew.

BATMAN BLACK WHITE SERIES MINI STATUE KELLEY JONES

Designed by Kelley Jones Sculpted by Ray Villafane The true essence of a complex hero is captured in this black and white sculpture inspired by the art of Kelley Jones! Painted in monochromatic tones, this limited-edition statue reflects the mood of these stories and measures approximately 7.875' tall. It features a logo-shaped base and is packaged in a black-and-white box

wktf
04-23-2006, 11:54 PM
And a bigger picture (lord odin beat me to this response by seconds):

http://www.dccomics.com/media/products/5475_a_full.jpg

VaultMan
04-23-2006, 11:55 PM
That profile is absolutely bananas! The way he's peeping over the cowl! Sweet!

Zurbaran1
04-23-2006, 11:56 PM

Here you go

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b396/Zurbaran1/aaray1.jpg

cblakey1
04-23-2006, 11:58 PM
Why are they so little?

I think they are a decent size and the detail packed into them is incredible.

If you collect all of them and display 'em on a bunch of different sized risers :eek: WOW. That would be sweet! :buttrock:

Ish
04-24-2006, 12:00 AM
You got that right! It is an amazing piece and it was done by Ray Villafane. And now that Ray is working for DC you can probably count on seeing some full size Batmans coming from his talented hands at some point.
no more batmans for a while, dc need to make somebody else. :banghead: how cool would a villafane deathstroke be? or black adam, or capt marvel, or anybody else other than bats and sups, atleast for now.

it would be cool if he did them but not right now. :)
it's up tp dc in the end. :banghead:

lord odin
04-24-2006, 12:01 AM
no more batmans for a while, dc need to make somebody else. :banghead: how cool would a villafane deathstroke be? or black adam, or capt marvel, or anybody else other than bats and sups, atleast for now.

it would be cool if he did them but not right now. :)
it's up tp dc in the end. :banghead:
Those 3 are some of my favorites. :buttrock:

galactus
04-24-2006, 12:01 AM
VERY nice piece, though I'm with Ish. Get Ray on some of the other characters too!!!

ironmanfan001
04-24-2006, 12:16 AM
I just picked up the Mignola this week and will be getting the Jones when it ships. I love these statues.

Ray Villafane
04-24-2006, 12:38 AM
Thanks guys!
Vaultman....yes, that means no work with Bowen, Sideshow or any other company other than DC for the next couple of years.
This Jones B/W piece was a fun one. Only thing that bothers me about these photos is that when they photographed them they had his hand/wrist rotated inward too much. Not sure how they managed that as I had the hand keyed properly. The tool part that the product will be casted from is correct I'm sure. This pic kind of shows how it should be. More here... http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=23381
http://villafanestudios.com/DSC00031.JPG

Ish
04-24-2006, 12:44 AM
great work as alway RV......so, what else you got gonig overthere. :laugh: ;)

buchieboy
04-24-2006, 01:00 AM
Great Work!!!!
Definitely a great addition to the series.

Any FS up for works RV?

lord odin
04-24-2006, 01:05 AM
I for one am glad you are DC exclusive Ray I look foward to seeing your work.

bat_collector
04-24-2006, 01:16 AM
I like the batman black and white line and hope it goes for much longer!

Ray's will no doubt be my favorite, since its my favorite bat-artist too

VaultMan
04-24-2006, 11:11 AM
Well Ray, I agree with everyone. This statue is outstanding. I see what you mean about the wrist/arm issue. I'm hopeful that when the sculpt comes out, they didn't screw with your work. I plan on having this statue with Batman facing the room, hiding his face.

Magnificent work, Mr. V...kudos to you!

Nightwinger
04-24-2006, 11:20 AM
Thanks guys!
Vaultman....yes, that means no work with Bowen, Sideshow or any other company other than DC for the next couple of years.
This Jones B/W piece was a fun one. Only thing that bothers me about these photos is that when they photographed them they had his hand/wrist rotated inward too much. Not sure how they managed that as I had the hand keyed properly. The tool part that the product will be casted from is correct I'm sure. This pic kind of shows how it should be. More here... http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=23381

:bawling: No more BD or SS for a while.......:bawling:

This TRUELY is a mixed blessing. This is an amazing sculpt.
But my concern with great artists working for DCD,is this exactly.......

Your positioning of the had is a 1,000 times more appropreite.
I hope the pinhead at DCD that did that reads this.......

You,Sir. Are a #@*#%!, F*$@(ing......MORON!!!!!
:banghead:

You ****!!!!

I know you can't respond at all to what I posted. These are MY feelings as a consumer and fan.

GREAT SCULPT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ray Villafane
04-24-2006, 11:34 AM
I'm sure it was a simple mistake they overlooked. The guy who painted and assembled this is an AMAZING sculptor!!!! This type of things happen all the time. It could be 1,000 times worse. Look at what happen to my Bowen Logan face....or look at the Bowen Sabretooth statue. All 2000 or so copies have a piece of snow missing from the base(notice how the snow on the base makes a sreaight run for a couple of inches?) Things like this are not exclusive to any company. Mass producing anything can be a challenge from molds to factory painjobs, there is a lot of room for mishaps.

Nightwinger
04-24-2006, 12:17 PM
I thought that some suit at the office. Would make the desision to move the hand.

If that wasn't the case. My sincerest apologies,to your fellow co worker.

This stems from my frustration with DCD!!!!!!!!!!!!! :banghead:

Granted we 'forumites'/fans are not privey to ALL the goings on when it comes
to the bachstage of a production of a piece. Thanks for a sneak behind.

Also, was my concern of whom is steering the DCD boat. Their actually
talent/qualification for the position of art director.

SORRY, to post such a negative responce to your GREAT piece of work.
But,it's going to take some time,at least for me. Until I become a fan of DCD.
They have taken my $$$ and left me hanging as a collector. And offered
pieces that were not of great quality and priced WAAAYYYY to much for said
low quality. My 2 cents.

-------------------------------------------------

On a different note. i know this sculpt is based on a certain artists style.
Was never big fan of the "big" ear Batman.

But I WILL buy this,cause I can over look it,due to your AMAZING skill.
:)

bat_collector
04-24-2006, 01:26 PM
I dont get the whole DCD screws "everything" up mentality when the Batman black and white line is awesome. Great sculpts, great price, great paint job, great concepts. HOMERUN!

Please someoen tell me what's wrong with this line if DC screwed this up as well?

VaultMan
04-24-2006, 01:32 PM
DCD is not completely screwed up. I think there is some frustration with the potential of a great sculpt being wrecked irresponsibly. Everything, hopefully, will be ok with this piece. I'm gonna buy it regardless!

Nightwinger
04-24-2006, 01:35 PM
Except that it's ALL Batman,ALL the time.

Nothings wrong with it.

It is a real good line. And you can't beat the price. I thought it was based on
a Batman comic run.If it was. Where there other characters in the story???

Personally. I'd like to see other characters get the BLACK & WHITE treatment.

Nightwing 2-4 sculpts
Robin 3-4 scuplts
Batgirl 2-3 sculpts

Catwoman 4-6 scuplts
Joker 2-3 sculpts
Penguin 1-3 scuplts
Bane 2-4 sculpts
Riddler 2-3 scuplts
Deathstroke 1-3 scuplts
Anarchy 2 scuplts

Superman 2 sculpts
Wonder Woman 3 scuplts
Aquaman 2 scuplts

lord odin
04-24-2006, 01:38 PM
I dont get the whole DCD screws "everything" up mentality when the Batman black and white line is awesome. Great sculpts, great price, great paint job, great concepts. HOMERUN!

Please someoen tell me what's wrong with this line if DC screwed this up as well?
The only thing wrong with this line is no(thing). :)

VaultMan
04-24-2006, 01:58 PM
Personally, few characters top the Bat in terms of pure human drama, just looking at the costume!

You are correct, these sculpts are based on the Batman B&W limited series from the 90's (various artists, writers, etc) focusing on nothing but the mythology of the Bat. I don't think other character even look right in B&W. Definetly not Superman.

JM28Cardiff
04-24-2006, 01:59 PM
Is RV sculpting full time now then, or still teaching as well???

Ray Villafane
04-24-2006, 02:05 PM
I still teach 1 hour a day at the school I worked at. This year will be my last year doing this however. In order to continue teaching one must keep their certification current which means college classes and such....no thank you, lol.

Sniper
04-24-2006, 02:13 PM
great work ray!!!

JM28Cardiff
04-24-2006, 02:50 PM
Look at what happen to my Bowen Logan face

What did happen with the face, ive never heard this story?

VaultMan
04-24-2006, 03:15 PM
Look a few steps earlier in the thread and you'll see...first few posts...

JM28Cardiff
04-24-2006, 03:18 PM
Look a few steps earlier in the thread and you'll see...first few posts...

Im talking about the face on the logan statue, not the positioning of the hand on the Batman

kirthew
04-24-2006, 03:33 PM

DC did not screw up this line... they screwed up every other line that they offer... and how much Batman do you think they will really sell? They could turn this line into the Batman Universe B&W line... That would be f'ing awsome... but they wont... they will keep producing Batman statue after Batman statue... and eventually you will be tired of it..

JM28Cardiff
04-24-2006, 03:36 PM
what keeps it fresh is the different and recognisable art styles, so it wont go on forever, as I for one wont be purchasing a dikc Sprang one or whatever, they will run out of top choices sooner or later

(I had to spell his first name like that cos of the swearing software!)

Nightwinger
04-24-2006, 03:47 PM
I skipped the Magnolia.

I just do not like that art style.Yikes!!!!!!!

Ray Villafane
04-24-2006, 03:48 PM
The produced face on my Logan statue differs ever so slightly from the sculpted one. Perhaps it was due to slight pinching that sometimes can occur during molding?
http://villafanestudios.com/IMG_6728.JPG

Nightwinger
04-24-2006, 03:50 PM
The produced face on my Logan statue differs ever so slightly from the sculpted one. Perhaps it was due to slight pinching that sometimes can occur during molding?

Guess it's good the pinching didn't occur to his nips.

:laugh:

lord odin
04-24-2006, 03:52 PM
Your right Ray I was looking at the original and the logan FS a few weeks ago in tracy`s display there is a difference I like the original better.

bat_collector
04-24-2006, 04:04 PM
I think the line is a success, and hopefully they will start focusing on other charactes, but not with the black and white line.

Bullseye
04-24-2006, 04:05 PM

Now thats Wolverine Ray. I love this compared to the one released by Bowen.

JM28Cardiff
04-24-2006, 04:46 PM
I knew they were different, just didnt know the reason.

JM28Cardiff
04-24-2006, 04:47 PM
I skipped the Magnolia.

I just do not like that art style.Yikes!!!!!!!

Was that a deliberate spelling mistake!!!

Personally, I love Mignola, Magnolias not bad either!

Nightwinger
04-24-2006, 04:52 PM
Was that a deliberate spelling mistake!!!

Personally, I love Mignola, Magnolias not bad either!

No. That's just my bad mistake. I can't be blamed. I never have read Hellboy,due to the art work. And I didn't have time to look it up correctly.

Everyone has what they like and don't. This is just one of mine.

If it helps, I thought the movie was GREAT!!!

And They can't release HB 2,fast enough. :)

Kdawg59
04-24-2006, 04:58 PM
You guys should see the original... hahahahaha

lord odin
04-24-2006, 05:48 PM
You guys should see the original... hahahahaha
I have my brother owns it. hahahahaha

Ray Villafane
04-24-2006, 08:09 PM
Your brother owns the original larger one I started that inspired this Bowen sculpt.. This is a picture of the actual sculpture that went into production. A few changes were made. Tell your brother I haven't forgotten about him. I still owe him something.

Danno
04-24-2006, 08:21 PM
This Batman sculpt is RED HOT SMOKIN"!
Awesome stuff Ray and congrats on the DC gig!

lord odin
04-24-2006, 09:44 PM
Your brother owns the original larger one I started that inspired this Bowen sculpt.. This is a picture of the actual sculpture that went into production. A few changes were made. Tell your brother I haven't forgotten about him. I still owe him something.
I`ll tell him you just get to work on a deathstroke FS :)

Ray Villafane
04-24-2006, 10:05 PM
the sad but true reality of it all is that I have no clue who Deathstroke is. It took me 2 years to become somewhat familiar with the MAIN characters of Marvel. I have a lot of learning to do on the DC Universe.

lord odin
04-24-2006, 10:11 PM
the sad but true reality of it all is that I have no clue who Deathstroke is. It took me 2 years to become somewhat familiar with the MAIN characters of Marvel. I have a lot of learning to do on the DC Universe.
Ok forget deathstroke another batman made by you will be fine. :buttrock:

This book will help you out with DC characters.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/075660592X/103-6518208-3443033?v=glance&n=283155