PDA

View Full Version : Paint stripping

ashley76
04-24-2006, 02:32 PM
anyone here every stripped a kit? I am going to strip my Iron Man kit today and was looking for some tips before I start...Please take me through the whole process you went through...Thanks

boondocksaint
04-24-2006, 02:33 PM
easy off oven cleaner...spray on put in plastic bag...let it sit for while....rinse it off...

you may have to do it a couple of times

boondocksaint
04-24-2006, 02:33 PM
i think........LOL

cblakey1
04-24-2006, 02:38 PM
easy off oven cleaner...spray on put in plastic bag...let it sit for while....rinse it off...

you may have to do it a couple of times

It's a big mess, but Easy Off worked for me when I stripped paint from a Bowen bust!

And you're right Boonie.. a few applications helps.

ashley76
04-24-2006, 02:40 PM
Are you frickin serious??? That is it? I went and bought damn paint stripper but, this sounds much easier...
LMAO

cblakey1
04-24-2006, 03:12 PM
Are you frickin serious??? That is it? I went and bought damn paint stripper but, this sounds much easier...
LMAO
I won't lie to ya... it's gonna take a little time and elbow grease with a toothbrush, but it seems safe and works well.

Did Danno or anyone recommend a stripper? I just used Easy Off 'cause someone on the forum recommended it. I was just paranoid that any off the shelf paint stripper would hurt the resin, but if it's painter approved, I'd use what you bought!

ashley76
04-24-2006, 03:35 PM
Oh know I just bought it because it was paint stripper...Nobody recommended anything...Easy Off' huh? Looks like I will be making a trip to wal-mart...Will easy-off harm the resin?

ashley76
04-25-2006, 09:27 AM
Well the Easy-Off has worked...First try I sprayed it up and put it in a rubbermaid box...I let it sit for an hour... Well after some initial scrubbing I got some of the first layer of paint off...:( So I said, hmmm....bright Idea. I washed it up and let it dry...I then sprayed on a pretty good coat of Easy-Off once more and boxed him up...This time I let him sit overnight. Well the paint just peeled away this morning. I still have a little bit to clean up here and there but, nothing another good coat for a couple hours can't fix. One thing I did notice is that the white resin is now stained red in some areas...No biggy because it won't affect the paint going on top of it... Thanks for the easy-off trick!

BattyDave19
04-25-2006, 09:46 AM
i would sugest purpal power car cleaner or castoral super cleaner

The Batfan
04-25-2006, 01:22 PM
DO NOT USE ANY KIND OF PAINT STRIPPER ARGGGGGG I tried that on a Bowen captain marvel mini bust I was gonna make into a Batman and it ate the statue I came back and it looked like I had an instant clayface statue and the rest that it did not eat it became very brittle

cblakey1
04-25-2006, 02:14 PM
DO NOT USE ANY KIND OF PAINT STRIPPER ARGGGGGG I tried that on a Bowen captain marvel mini bust I was gonna make into a Batman and it ate the statue I came back and it looked like I had an instant clayface statue and the rest that it did not eat it became very brittle

Instant Clayface? Kit that baby! :buttrock: :laugh:

Vince-Vell
04-25-2006, 02:19 PM
Weird, i stripped about 4 bowen busts allready with acetone i had sitting in the garage. All i did was put on rubber gloves, dip the bust into a cup so it was submerged. let it sit for about a minute. Then used a tooth brush to brush it away. Process took about 5min and then i just washed it off with warm soap and water and ran it under the hose outside for a bit.

I only used acetone cause i had a gallon jug in the garage and didnt feel like spending anymore cash on something else. I stripped 3 bowen cap marvel busts, and a FS black widow with no problems at all. I didnt get any melting or damage to the resin, but then again it only took 5min to peal the paint right off.

Dizneeguy
04-25-2006, 03:43 PM
Same here, acetone has always worked for us with zero problems.

fenix v.2.0
06-03-2006, 05:19 PM
Same here, acetone has always worked for us with zero problems.

Even on resin kits?

Scott Johansen
06-03-2006, 08:15 PM
I've used a variety of products. Polly S ELO (easy lift off), Easy Off Oven cleaner, Castrol Super Clean, and acetone on a Bowen Thor bust. I have to say that the Castrol Super Clean worked the best on resin models. The acetone worked good on the Bowen piece. I would HIGHLY recommend wearing some kind of gloves when using the Easy off or Castrol. Chemical burns can and will occur and it will sting like hell for a few days if you get them. I'm curious to know what Batfan soaked his project in overnite that ate it up? I personally don't recommend the overnight method for anything. Usually within an hour you can get most of the paint off. Afterwards make sure you wash it thouroghly to get any left over residue off.

Scott J.