PDA

View Full Version : A Message to DC Direct

VaultMan
04-25-2006, 10:38 PM
Dear DC Direct,

I understand that you now have under your employ, Mr. Ray Villafane. As you well know, Mr. Villafane is one of the most accomplished and respected sculptors in this business today. I'm certain you realize this already, hence, your hiring him to provide outstanding service to your company.

Please know that you are advised to allow this gentleman all of the creative space you have at your disposal to create high quality statues and mini busts for DC Direct. If you allow him to shine, you will find that the quality of work he provides to your company will put you in dirct competition with Bowen Designs, Sideshow, and other high quality producers of comic sculpting.

I thank you for your decision, as well as your attention,

Sincerely,

Eric Redwine
New York City

ZKULPTOR
04-25-2006, 11:22 PM
Dear DC Direct,

I understand that you now have under your employ, Mr. Ray Villafane. As you well know, Mr. Villafane is one of the most accomplished and respected sculptors in this business today. I'm certain you realize this already, hence, your hiring him to provide outstanding service to your company.

Please know that you are advised to allow this gentleman all of the creative space you have at your disposal to create high quality statues and mini busts for DC Direct. If you allow him to shine, you will find that the quality of work he provides to your company will put you in dirct competition with Bowen Designs, Sideshow, and other high quality producers of comic sculpting.

I thank you for your decision, as well as your attention,

Sincerely,

Eric Redwine
New York CityNoted, I will personally deliver this to my Boss...
thanks ;)

Andy Bergholtz
04-25-2006, 11:25 PM
..... And please ignore his request to be paid with domesticated animals for his services.

Sincerely,

Andy

wktf
04-25-2006, 11:26 PM
Great post, Eric, and all of us on the forum heartily concur.

bat_collector
04-26-2006, 12:02 AM
sosa, can we all write letters to you to give to your boss?

Andy Bergholtz
04-26-2006, 12:09 AM
Noted, I will personally deliver this to my Boss...
thanks ;)

I'm a little confused.... What good will it do for the manager of White Castle to read this?

:p

nexus
04-26-2006, 12:22 AM
DCD is tooling up with sculpting heavy hitters, so why not:
1. Open up your catalog and make a line of 1/8 or 1/6 scale busts at least as good as the Bowen line -- no more tiny characters with rock bases, too small females and representations of characters from 50 years ago
2. Make a line of museum quality 1/4 scale premium formats or maquettes on par with what sideshow is doing at least for your movie properties (possibly Ross-style as well)
3. Make a line of 1/4-scale maquettes on par with Sideshow's line
4. Make a line of Vs. dioramas

Ish
04-26-2006, 12:46 AM
thanks ;)
in that case tell them to have you make a deathstroke statue at 1/6 scale. :D

ZKULPTOR
04-26-2006, 01:33 AM
sosa, can we all write letters to you to give to your boss?Yes you may:thumbs2: I will also be requiring some money upfront.
Also how Andy knew the guy lives in a white Castle is just beyond me....ESP maybe?

High Lord Apocalypse
04-26-2006, 01:45 AM
1. Open up your catalog and make a line of 1/8 or 1/6 scale busts at least as good as the Bowen line -- no more tiny characters with rock bases, too small females and representations of characters from 50 years ago
2. Make a line of museum quality 1/4 scale premium formats or maquettes on par with what sideshow is doing at least for your movie properties (possibly Ross-style as well)

what he said!!!!!!

c'mon erick and ray, you guys can let the right people know or make the scale we want without telling dc!!! :)

please dc....no more 10" statues.. most people don't buy nearly a fourth of dc statues compared to marvel cause marvel has all the 1/6 and 1/4 all.

oh and by the way, erick and andy keep going at it...its so much fun to read your posts!!! :)

white castle.. :laugh:

ZKULPTOR
04-26-2006, 02:00 AM
I will tell them that either they start making stuff in 1/6th scale or Ray quits... I on the other would rather stay with them to honor Ray's desition to take a stand ;)

Jerseydevil
04-26-2006, 03:29 AM
Nexus, I'm with you on this. For years DC has had very, very talented sculptors on board (i.e., Bruckner, Paquette, Cipriano, Barsom, etc.) I don't have a background in the field, but their art direction could be better. Their very talented sculptors are simply hired guns who are paid to sculpt what some hack with a degree in anything but art tells them to sculpt. I could never understand the smaller scale statues and the cheesey rock busts. And take, for instance, their Turner-inspired Flash statue sculpted by Bruckner and Cipriano, two sculpting gods. They did a simply stunning rendition of Michael Turner's version of the Flash. And that's great... if you're a Turner fan. (I'm not). I just wish they'd give their stable of sculpting geniuses more creative freedom.

Neomotion
04-26-2006, 06:24 AM
thanks ;)

That might not even be that important. Just try to get someone with influence on this board. Convince them that the customers are actually right here!

Juggernaut
04-26-2006, 07:36 AM
Make 1/6 scale statues of

Deathstroke
Darkseid
Adam Strange
Big Barda
Power Girl
Huntress
Wonder woman (Ed Benes style)
Penguin
Killer Croc
The Joker
and many more.

Bullseye
04-26-2006, 09:09 AM
Was Tim Bruckner not considered a heavy hitter?? They have had great sculptors working with them. Who's decision was it to sculpt to that scale? Thats the question which needs to be asked.

Ray Villafane
04-26-2006, 09:33 AM
Very ummmm??? thread, but love the White Castle comment Andy, just as hilarious. Luckily my computer was down lastnight.

rychehitman
04-26-2006, 09:48 AM
I would LOVE to see DC Direct climb out of the hol eit is in now and start producing quality pieces on par with BD and SS!

I NEED A G'NORT FS!

acrylic paint
04-26-2006, 10:56 AM
Great post, Eric, and all of us on the forum heartily concur.

Please refrain from painting the forum with such a broad brush. Not all of us "heartily concurr". Ray is a good sculptor, but there are many others as good or better.

mitchanator
04-26-2006, 11:09 AM
yeah let's see a line of 1/6 character all in the same scale

ouch that would really hurt my wallet

nbr3bagshotrow
04-26-2006, 11:10 AM
I will tell them that either they start making stuff in 1/6th scale or Ray quits... I on the other would rather stay with them to honor Ray's desition to take a stand ;)
IMO, I'd rather them keep with the same scale of their previous pieces (e.g. Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, Jim Lee Batman/Superman, Aquaman, etc) but they need to get their MSRP pricing in line with the scale. If they change their scale, the new pieces won't look right with the others.

Nightwinger
04-26-2006, 11:10 AM
It will be intersting to see what happens in the next year.

***fingers crossed***

Fullsize 1/6 scale

Firestorm
Frostbite
Soloman Grundy
Black Adam
Shazam
Nightwing

just for starters.............

rychehitman
04-26-2006, 11:14 AM
a lot of people, myself included, do not buy DCD pieces because of the small scale, and high price!

bat_collector
04-26-2006, 12:19 PM
Ok, DC is already gonna make a premium mixed media superman:
http://www.dccomics.com/dcdirect/?dcd=5295&lst=new&cat=STATUES

This is their first stab at this. I think a lot of collectors are gonna gobble up the Catwoman, Supergirl, and Harley Women of the DCU pieces.

I just want t osee more statues of heroes and villains not done yet!

And the whole flash being inspired by Turner thing. Don't all the bowen guys want their statues being buscemam, kirby, etc style? If you make the sculpture in any certain style its gonna have its fans and its detractors.

mitchanator
04-26-2006, 01:39 PM
i really don't like the face of that 1/4 scale superman

Nightwinger
04-26-2006, 02:36 PM
i really don't like the face of that 1/4 scale superman

agreed

ZKULPTOR
04-26-2006, 04:51 PM
agreedyeah looks too fat and cute

Nightwinger
04-26-2006, 04:58 PM
yeah looks too fat and cute

There nothing wrong with fat and cute, if your an infant.

Or it's Saturday night about 2:20 am. Jose Quervo has been your friend alright,........and one is really,really horney!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ZKULPTOR
04-26-2006, 05:01 PM
ooooooookkkkkkkkkkkkkk
Jose Cuervo is bas and so is Sauza

ZKULPTOR
04-26-2006, 05:01 PM
I just drink rootbeer..and hot cocoa..mostly... ok sometimes I drink coolaid

Nightwinger
04-26-2006, 05:06 PM
Can we call this http://www.dccomics.com/dcdirect/?d...new&cat=STATUES

'brokeback Superman'????????

That expression and 'throwing punch' hand/arm.

Seems pretty,whimmpy,efeminate.

NO!!! I am not saying that ga y guys are any of these.
Just trying to make a lame joke. :)

King Kong
05-05-2006, 08:58 PM
To seriously compete with Bowen, DC Directs needs to get its act togheter and get moving with characters other then Batman and Superman or the JLA.
A bust line of Legion, from the early SA to the BA would kick ass and a mini statues legion line would kick twice as hard (remember Superboy legion statues collection?).
Legion's archives were the best selling of the line, this can only mean there are still plenty of Legion fans out there with deep pokets.
Take note DC !!!